Site Notices
9/23/2014 4:41:23 PM
Author
Modern Day Hillbilly!
NRA
Posted: 1/2/2013 7:47:23 PM
[Last Edit: 1/2/2013 7:49:20 PM by jnk556]
I dropped by Tractor Supply this evening to see if they had a Lodge dutch oven for camping and such, and the normal shelf where they are was bare., so I figured what the hell I'd look at the clearance stuff. Walked around the isle, and seen a whole isle of cast iron. Now it's not Lodge brand, it's Red Stone (made for TSC), and yes it's made in China unfortunately. They had skillets, tea kettles, dutch ovens, griddles, all on clearance!!!

I went for a dutch oven, and figured what the hell for $14.99 I'm not out much, they had 2, so I picked them both up May not be exactly as good as a Lodge, but for what I'll be using it for (soup, stew, taters, ect.) it'll do just fine. Says pre-seasoned too, although I'll probably hit it again or fry some bacon in it

So, if you got a Tractor Supply near by, and want some cheap cast iron, go for it!

You will find Sympathy between Shit and Syphilis in the dictionary.

ARFCOM has been the cause and solution to all of my financial problems.
G1F2-EE
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/2/2013 10:34:45 PM
may have to make a stop there tomorrow..Thanks OP..

coincidentally in the last couple of days, I've been looking at getting a Dutch Oven...just didn't have the $$ for it. Hopefully this will take care of it
jnk556
Modern Day Hillbilly!
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/2/2013 10:47:56 PM
Originally Posted By G1F2-EE:
may have to make a stop there tomorrow..Thanks OP..

coincidentally in the last couple of days, I've been looking at getting a Dutch Oven...just didn't have the $$ for it. Hopefully this will take care of it

I'm in the same spot. I had seen Lodge Dutch ovens at TSC before the holidays, for $60, and figured what the hell I'd bite the bullet and pick one up. I had honestly given up till I went around the isle and seen the Red Stone stuff. It's not top notch, but I bet my food won't know the difference

The cute cashier girl seemed interested in them, was asking me about cooking in them and such. Kinda half the reason I go there so I can flirt with the cashiers

Dave15
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/3/2013 7:31:17 PM
LOL, mentioned it to wife earlier today.
She just called from TSC and said they were $9.99.

We already have a bunch of OLD cast iron that we use daily, but told her to grab 1 or 2 anyway, although "pre-seasoned" and "made in China" scare the hell outta me!

I may sandblast, acid etch, and then sandblast again, before seasoning and using.

Or just use them for melting down lead.
Feral

NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/3/2013 9:43:01 PM
I drop into the local TSC once a week or so. First stop is the clearance section. You never know what you'll find. My local store doesn't have any cast iron, but they do have a duel fuel torpedo heater that has been sitting there for months. One of these days I'll ask one of the guys what they'll actually take for it.
casey1
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/3/2013 9:45:17 PM
I was there tonight myself but I was after some fireplace items. I ended up with an ash/coal bucket & shovel, poker and the wife wanted one of the steam humidifiers for on top of the stove. Also grabbed a cover for the generator, they were $6.99 in the bins with crap screwdrivers, wrenches, lights, toys and such. All of this was on clearance. They had the dutch ovens at $9.99 also, I already have two Lodges so I didn't pick up one.

I have a Warm Morning 523 stored away in the building waiting on a rainy day or maybe an install in my garage or shed. All I need now is some stove pipe for the install.
"Lets face it. I'm not a headline guy." Lou Gehrig
jnk556
Modern Day Hillbilly!
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/3/2013 10:05:15 PM
[Last Edit: 1/3/2013 10:11:51 PM by jnk556]
Originally Posted By casey1:
I was there tonight myself but I was after some fireplace items. I ended up with an ash/coal bucket & shovel, poker and the wife wanted one of the steam humidifiers for on top of the stove. Also grabbed a cover for the generator, they were $6.99 in the bins with crap screwdrivers, wrenches, lights, toys and such. All of this was on clearance. They had the dutch ovens at $9.99 also, I already have two Lodges so I didn't pick up one.

I have a Warm Morning 523 stored away in the building waiting on a rainy day or maybe an install in my garage or shed. All I need now is some stove pipe for the install.

Meh, go figure I buy them the night before they go on clearance further for $10. Oh well, what the hell.

They've had the Little Buddy heaters on sale for a long time now, for $75 I think, which is a couple bucks less compared to amazon. Gonna check in there about every week or so, I know damn well they'll be giving stuff away soon

They also have the big buddies, for $109 online, but I have not seen them in my store...

I'd love to pick up alot of stuff in there when they mark it down, but this time of year i just don't have the extra money, seems like when i think I'm gonna have a few bucks something comes along

casey1
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/3/2013 10:41:20 PM
Watch Walmart and Lowes for the Lil Buddies, I picked mine up for something like $36.00 two years ago at Walmart, a markdown of a markdown. It seems to me like Lowes had them at $45.00 then.
"Lets face it. I'm not a headline guy." Lou Gehrig
jnk556
Modern Day Hillbilly!
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/3/2013 10:54:17 PM
Originally Posted By casey1:
Watch Walmart and Lowes for the Lil Buddies, I picked mine up for something like $36.00 two years ago at Walmart, a markdown of a markdown. It seems to me like Lowes had them at $45.00 then.

Yeah, chances are I'll miss the damn things. Those are 2 stores i really don't hit up alot. I HATE going in wally mart Now Lowes, I love that place, but i have to go to Buckhannon to one

DanNH
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/4/2013 1:18:54 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I'm gonna go check this out over the weekend. I've been wanting one for a while but didn't want to spend a ton on something I don't know if i'll use of not.
ColdSoul
Armed IT Technician
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/4/2013 11:00:43 AM
Well maybe ill start getting these deals soon. TSC is renovating a building in my town now. I don't know when they will open but the nearest one is about 40 miles now.
GRNC Member
Remember kids don't drink and reload!
alemonkey
Beer drinking, gun toting, libertarian simian.
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/4/2013 11:24:03 AM
I bought pretty much the same one from Harbor Freight a few years back. Works great.
Join the Nebraska Firearms Owners Association: http://www.nebraskafirearms.org
"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition."  - Rudyard Kipling
Blackoperations
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/4/2013 6:35:52 PM
so how does the lid fit? I need a dutch oven, and most of the cheap ones don't have good fitting lids?

Is is good and heavy cast iron?
jnk556
Modern Day Hillbilly!
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/4/2013 9:05:47 PM
Originally Posted By Blackoperations:
so how does the lid fit? I need a dutch oven, and most of the cheap ones don't have good fitting lids?

Is is good and heavy cast iron?

The lids fit pretty good, the one has zero rock, and the one, barely enough to hear a clank (may be a rough spot on the top lip). They weigh 15lbs a piece, which is 3lbs off of what a Lodge weighs....

G1F2-EE
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/4/2013 9:51:16 PM
Stopped by TS yesterday, saw they also have the large sets of cast iron (I think 8 pc), Dutch oven, skillet, griddle, other misc pieces, was still reg. price of 49...hoping it will drop to a clearance
price also
jnk556
Modern Day Hillbilly!
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/4/2013 10:25:09 PM
[Last Edit: 1/4/2013 10:25:32 PM by jnk556]
Might hit up a TSC out of town tomorrow, have to see what I can find.

DanNH
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/5/2013 12:59:36 PM
Went to my local one this morning. They had the dutch oven for $9.99. They also had a grill pan/ biscuit pan set for $10 and a set that had 2 skillets (9 or 10" i think) one regular, one deep pan for 10 bucks. Picked up one of each. I thought it was a great deal, 5 pans and a cover for $30.