Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2013 3:47:23 PM EDT
I dropped by Tractor Supply this evening to see if they had a Lodge dutch oven for camping and such, and the normal shelf where they are was bare., so I figured what the hell I'd look at the clearance stuff.  Walked around the isle, and seen a whole isle of cast iron.  Now it's not Lodge brand, it's Red Stone (made for TSC), and yes it's made in China unfortunately.  They had skillets, tea kettles, dutch ovens, griddles, all on clearance!!!

I went for a dutch oven, and figured what the hell for $14.99 I'm not out much, they had 2, so I picked them both up  May not be exactly as good as a Lodge, but for what I'll be using it for (soup, stew, taters, ect.) it'll do just fine.  Says pre-seasoned too, although I'll probably hit it again or fry some bacon in it

So, if you got a Tractor Supply near by, and want some cheap cast iron, go for it!

Link Posted: 1/2/2013 6:34:45 PM EDT
[#1]
may have to make a stop there tomorrow..Thanks OP..

coincidentally in the last couple of days,  I've been looking at getting a Dutch Oven...just didn't have the $$ for it. Hopefully this will take care of it
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 6:47:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
may have to make a stop there tomorrow..Thanks OP..

coincidentally in the last couple of days,  I've been looking at getting a Dutch Oven...just didn't have the $$ for it. Hopefully this will take care of it

I'm in the same spot.  I had seen Lodge Dutch ovens at TSC before the holidays, for $60, and figured what the hell I'd bite the bullet and pick one up.  I had honestly given up till I went around the isle and seen the Red Stone stuff.  It's not top notch, but I bet my food won't know the difference

The cute cashier girl seemed interested in them, was asking me about cooking in them and such.  Kinda half the reason I go there so I can flirt with the cashiers
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 3:31:17 PM EDT
[#3]
LOL, mentioned it to wife earlier today.
She just called from TSC and said they were $9.99.

We already have a bunch of OLD cast iron that we use daily, but told her to grab 1 or 2 anyway, although "pre-seasoned" and "made in China" scare the hell outta me!

I may sandblast, acid etch, and then sandblast again, before seasoning and using.

Or just use them for melting down lead.
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 5:43:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 5:45:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I was there tonight myself but I was after some fireplace items. I ended up with an ash/coal bucket & shovel, poker and the wife wanted one of the steam humidifiers for on top of the stove. Also grabbed a cover for the generator, they were $6.99 in the bins with crap screwdrivers, wrenches, lights, toys and such. All of this was on clearance. They had the dutch ovens at $9.99 also, I already have two Lodges so I didn't pick up one.

I have a Warm Morning 523 stored away in the building waiting on a rainy day or maybe an install in my garage or shed. All I need now is some stove pipe for the install.
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 6:05:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I was there tonight myself but I was after some fireplace items. I ended up with an ash/coal bucket & shovel, poker and the wife wanted one of the steam humidifiers for on top of the stove. Also grabbed a cover for the generator, they were $6.99 in the bins with crap screwdrivers, wrenches, lights, toys and such. All of this was on clearance. They had the dutch ovens at $9.99 also, I already have two Lodges so I didn't pick up one.

I have a Warm Morning 523 stored away in the building waiting on a rainy day or maybe an install in my garage or shed. All I need now is some stove pipe for the install.

Meh, go figure I buy them the night before they go on clearance further for $10.  Oh well, what the hell.

They've had the Little Buddy heaters on sale for a long time now, for $75 I think, which is a couple bucks less compared to amazon.  Gonna check in there about every week or so, I know damn well they'll be giving stuff away soon

They also have the big buddies, for $109 online, but I have not seen them in my store...

I'd love to pick up alot of stuff in there when they mark it down, but this time of year i just don't have the extra money, seems like when i think I'm gonna have a few bucks something comes along
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 6:41:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Watch Walmart and Lowes for the Lil Buddies, I picked mine up for something like $36.00 two years ago at Walmart, a markdown of a markdown. It seems to me like Lowes had them at $45.00 then.
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 6:54:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Watch Walmart and Lowes for the Lil Buddies, I picked mine up for something like $36.00 two years ago at Walmart, a markdown of a markdown. It seems to me like Lowes had them at $45.00 then.

Yeah, chances are I'll miss the damn things.  Those are 2 stores i really don't hit up alot.  I HATE going in wally mart  Now Lowes, I love that place, but i have to go to Buckhannon to one
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 9:18:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the heads up. I'm gonna go check this out over the weekend. I've been wanting one for a while but didn't want to spend a ton on something I don't know if i'll use of not.
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 7:00:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Well maybe ill start getting these deals soon. TSC is renovating a building in my town now. I don't know when they will open but the nearest one is about 40 miles now.
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 7:24:03 AM EDT
[#11]
I bought pretty much the same one from Harbor Freight a few years back.  Works great.
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 2:35:52 PM EDT
[#12]
so how does the lid fit? I need a dutch oven, and most of the cheap ones don't have good fitting lids?

Is is good and heavy cast iron?
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 5:05:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
so how does the lid fit? I need a dutch oven, and most of the cheap ones don't have good fitting lids?

Is is good and heavy cast iron?

The lids fit pretty good, the one has zero rock, and the one, barely enough to hear a clank (may be a rough spot on the top lip).  They weigh 15lbs a piece, which is 3lbs off of what a Lodge weighs....
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 5:51:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Stopped by TS yesterday, saw they also have the large sets of cast iron (I think 8 pc), Dutch oven, skillet, griddle, other misc pieces,  was still reg. price of 49...hoping it will drop to a clearance
price also
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 6:25:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Might hit up a TSC out of town tomorrow, have to see what I can find.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 8:59:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Went to my local one this morning. They had the dutch oven for $9.99. They also had  a grill pan/ biscuit pan set for $10 and  a set that had 2 skillets (9 or 10" i think) one regular, one deep pan for 10 bucks. Picked up one of each. I thought it was a great deal, 5 pans and a cover for $30.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top