Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 15
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 12:45:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Your place looks great. You have inspired me to try more winter stuff this year. We like chard, cabbage, the Brussels sprouts, and a lot of the other greens too. I'm also thinking of building a little greenhouse similar to yours for starting my Spring stuff earlier. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Same here.  My Fall/Winter garden was a miserable failure, this thread is my penance.

TRG
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 8:36:59 AM EDT
[#2]
TRG this is the recipe we used http://www.freshpreserving.com/recipe.aspx?r=248
The only changes we did were 2 cups of carrots instead of 1 1/2 and used a 20 oz can of pineapple instead of 1 3/4 cups. With these changes it ends up
being seven 8 oz jars and a little extra for a snack.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 8:42:04 AM EDT
[#3]
That carrot cake jam is awesome on fresh cinnamon raisin bread! Good job, dear.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 8:51:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Very funny. That was your idea I just helped by getting in the way
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 9:01:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, you're my official carrot shredder!
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 9:10:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your place looks great. You have inspired me to try more winter stuff this year. We like chard, cabbage, the Brussels sprouts, and a lot of the other greens too. I'm also thinking of building a little greenhouse similar to yours for starting my Spring stuff earlier. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Same here.  My Fall/Winter garden was a miserable failure, this thread is my penance.

TRG

Thanks for the compliments guys, but we did have some problems this season. First, we planted a little late. Second, I wasn't watering properly
and the weather didn't cooperate. Alot of the garden did great but it looks like the onions didn't get cold enough to kick start the bulbs. The green
tops are still going strong, but not sure if I should leave them in or pull them.

If you haven't tried this recipe you need to. Use swiss chard for the greens and sunflower seeds in place of the pine nuts. Only use enough wine to deglaze

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/sauteed_greens_with_pine_nuts_and_raisins/
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 9:10:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, you're my official carrot shredder!

And pot picker upper
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 12:32:16 PM EDT
[#8]
That greens w/ pine nuts recipe sounds great, except for the raisins. I don't like raisins.  
Maybe some dried cranberries instead? That would be the ticket for me.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 12:41:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That greens w/ pine nuts recipe sounds great, except for the raisins. I don't like raisins.  
Maybe some dried cranberries instead? That would be the ticket for me.

I had to go eat a couple to get a taste. Absolutely use cranberries but I would rehydrate them in a bowl of warm water for a little while. The raisins have a
bit more moisture. Thanks for the idea I might try this next time.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 1:21:01 PM EDT
[#10]
The mustards are seeding nicely. Hopefully they won't be much longer so I can plant something else in that location.

Link Posted: 3/20/2013 3:31:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hey were is my share of that harvest??? looking good brother.

Thanks brother. When you come down you have some goodies waiting for you.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 5:06:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Harvested the last of the first set of spinach. It was a little over a pound, gonna cook it tonight with dinner.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 7:58:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I can't wait to come down. And not for the harvest. I miss you guys. You and Nana.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 8:56:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The mustards are seeding nicely. Hopefully they won't be much longer so I can plant something else in that location.

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee439/DimmuDrotinn/DSCN0125_zps0b748bd7.jpg

I have aphids on mine right now.  They went to seed about a month ago.  

From what I have read, I made a mistake by not cutting them back to ground level 2-3 times during their growth period.  

If you get aphids, Mr. Clean, w/Febreeze kills them on contact.

TRG
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 9:42:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee439/DimmuDrotinn/DSCN0125_zps0b748bd7.jpg

I have aphids on mine right now.  They went to seed about a month ago.  

From what I have read, I made a mistake by not cutting them back to ground level 2-3 times during their growth period.  

If you get aphids, Mr. Clean, w/Febreeze kills them on contact.

TRG

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 11:37:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Well this sucks. The weather is too nasty for planting this weekend and I need to plant some of the tomatos.
Also they are calling for some near freezing nights this week and the tomatos are out growing the pots I have
them in. I gotta figure out something.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 1:58:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I can't wait to come down. And not for the harvest. I miss you guys. You and Nana.

WTH how did I miss your post?
Hell yea you need to come down! I've got a couple of extra plants for you to take home.
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 6:40:18 PM EDT
[#18]
We harvested 14 lbs of cabbage collards and pulled the last of the carrots, 3/4 lb. We also planted
two more blueberry bushes, two blackberry plants and the muscadine vine today.

Hopefully, the weather report is correct, and I'll be planting this friday.

Link Posted: 3/25/2013 7:58:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Damn, how do you use all those cabbage collards?
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 9:07:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Damn, how do you use all those cabbage collards?

We froze them in packages in a weight we would normally cook. The freezing is new to us.
We are used to cooking strait from the garden.
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 4:23:41 PM EDT
[#21]
The radishes are sprouting. I tilled and got the beds ready for planting friday.
The major thing I did today was getting the fencing up by myself. That was a
pain in the ass, but I had no other choice. The weather is gonna be nasty again
this weekend.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 12:40:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Well I transplanted the tomatos, lettuce and bell peppers into the garden. I also planted the cucumbers today.
Hopefully everything will work out.

Link Posted: 3/31/2013 5:48:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm jealous of your gardening skills.  I can barely grow 'maters.  I suck so bad at gardening.  

If I got 1/10th of what you've put in pictures it would be awesome, but it's not gonna happen.

Thanks. Research, good soil and plenty of water is all you need. I think we would've had a larger crop
if I watered properly. I wasn't deep soaking when I watered and I caught on a couple of weeks ago.
Live and learn

Raised beds with a good growing medium will always result in good produce.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 5:54:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Btw, Dimmu you need a chicken coop right between those garden beds!
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 6:17:20 PM EDT
[#25]
JHill I kid you not we just put a coop together yesterday and got a couple of mods planned for it this week.
Going to add on a nesting box, redo the front door with a ramp and paint it.

Link Posted: 3/31/2013 6:20:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Well the corn and purple hulls have sprouted.

Link Posted: 4/4/2013 7:33:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Damn! You have been busy. Looking good though.
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 7:35:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Yea just a little bit. I still can't figure out why I can't upload to photobucket
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 7:42:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Everytime I see this threwad on active I giggle.

Black metal gardening!
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 7:47:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Everytime I see this threwad on active I giggle.

Black metal gardening!

I'm on a Sabaton kick lately
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 11:21:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Well crap I still can't upload pics sorry about that.
We planted watermelon, cantaloupe, okra and squash seeds. Also planted some sweet potato plants.
The green beans are sprouting up nicely and got the gate built.
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 1:12:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Pics are fixed

I'll take better pics tomorrow when the sun is out.
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 3:26:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Nice setup.
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 3:53:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Nice setup.

Thanks. Hopefully we have a good crop like this last fall/winter.
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 6:36:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Planted a few extra today. Yellow bell pepper, Mammoth jalapeno and a Mr. Stripey heirloom tomato. Also picked up some herbs on sale.
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 6:59:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Planted a few extra today. Yellow bell pepper, Mammoth jalapeno and a Mr. Stripey heirloom tomato. Also picked up some herbs on sale.

Did you get in on Home Depot's sale?  I posted about it in TRG's thread, but in case you didn't see it, 4" and 5" Bonnie plants are $2 and seeds are half off.
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 7:04:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you get in on Home Depot's sale?  I posted about it in TRG's thread, but in case you didn't see it, 4" and 5" Bonnie plants are $2 and seeds are half off.

Yep. They didn't have much to chose from so I grabbed a few of the better looking plants.
Almost no seeds to be had
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 7:11:01 PM EDT
[#38]
those 4x4 posts, with no header board.... are you worried about them curving and twisting, or is the wire enough to stop them?

TRG
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 7:12:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. They didn't have much to chose from so I grabbed a few of the better looking plants.

That sucks.  Another option would be to take the Home Depot ad to Lowes and/or Walmart and see if they will price match.  I think I am going to go back and stock up on more seeds.  I was getting some packs for almost $0.50 each.
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 7:22:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
those 4x4 posts, with no header board.... are you worried about them curving and twisting, or is the wire enough to stop them?

TRG

It's the same thing I did with the first garden. I've only seen a little movement at the gate and one corner. I added braces on all the gate post.
Hopefully I won't have to put headers up later.
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 7:26:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sucks.  Another option would be to take the Home Depot ad to Lowes and/or Walmart and see if they will price match.  I think I am going to go back and stock up on more seeds.  I was getting some packs for almost $0.50 each.

I didn't really need anymore plants but I had to look
I was wanting to stock up on seeds. I might try my Lowe's they have a great selection.
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 9:26:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

It's the same thing I did with the first garden. I've only seen a little movement at the gate and one corner. I added braces on all the gate post.

FWIW, as a former woodworker....

You can't unwarp a board.  You can spend a couple bucks and put up a few 1x4s and protect your investment.  It would still look stylish too.

TRG
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 9:46:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

You can't unwarp a board.  You can spend a couple bucks and put up a few 1x4s and protect your investment.  It would still look stylish too.

TRG

TRG did you forget you posted pics of your deer stand?
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 10:06:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

TRG

TRG did you forget you posted pics of your deer stand?

Yeah, and that's my point.  I know what will warp and how to stop it.  That stand was not only square when I built it, but square AFTER I drug it to its final resting place down the road and in to the woods.

I'll put a framing square on it tomorrow to prove my point.  lol.

TRG

Link Posted: 4/6/2013 4:38:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

TRG

We are in talks about adding the headers. Thanks for the idea.
Link Posted: 4/6/2013 4:41:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Today I planted Lima beans and Kentucky wonders in the corn.
Link Posted: 4/6/2013 4:55:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Anybody know how to preserve chives besides dehydrating? I have some to do this weekend.
Link Posted: 4/6/2013 6:44:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Anybody know how to preserve chives besides dehydrating? I have some to do this weekend.

Seems to me you could put them in olive oil and have something that was both decorative and tasty.  Ihad some sun-dried tomatoes that I stored in olive oil, they lasted for years.

You could try putting some, with maybe a cayenne or two, in to a jar of straight vinegar as well to make a nice treat to sprinkle on top of greens.

TRG
Link Posted: 4/6/2013 7:38:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems to me you could put them in olive oil and have something that was both decorative and tasty.  Ihad some sun-dried tomatoes that I stored in olive oil, they lasted for years.

You could try putting some, with maybe a cayenne or two, in to a jar of straight vinegar as well to make a nice treat to sprinkle on top of greens.

TRG

Thanks, I forgot you can do that. We'll give it a go.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 2:44:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

our resident chef in another thread warned people about that
infusing olive oil/storing in olive oil can sometimes lead to spoiling.
my garlic infused olive oil was rather "energetic" when it spoiled

If I remember right you only infuse olive oil to use within a few days, not so much on long term
and Dimmu thanks for the regular updating, you have some serious skill
makes my garden spot look terrible
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top