Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 13
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 8:38:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C-4] [#1]
Update:  09/13/2022

I can’t breed Channel catfish.  Trust me, I’ve tried.  There are several insurmountable problems:

1) The size of the tanks is simply too small to trigger natural breeding.  I’ve been looking for a property with a pond and I’m simply not finding any at a reasonable price.  Even a < 1/4 acre pond would suffice but it’s not happening.  I’ve explored pituitary hormones, etc.

2) Once you get them to 3 years old, breeding age, you run into problems with serious aggression between the fish.  This is even worse with Brown or Black Bullhead catfish I’ve kept before.

3) Overcrowding leads to Columnaris bacterial infection outbreaks.

I can get them to breeding size no problem, but then I’m unable to go any further.

There are easier fish to breed, specifically Nile Tilapia, but they require serious heating in the winter as the water cannot go below 50F.

Currently, I have White Perch, Yellow Perch and Largemouth Bass in my aquaponics system in the 550 gallon tank.  These are all wild-caught.  You need an aquaculture permit to catch wild fish to keep in your system but it’s only $20.  I have some great videos of feeding them that I will post up.

I also want to do a reboot of my aquaponics channel since I feel there is a lot I can teach on the subject.

Stay tuned!
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 10:04:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I’m going to reboot this thread.  I’ve learned a lot in the last 10 years of doing this.  I lost the password to my old channel and started a new one, but this will be focused on ALL topics in aquaponics, basically soup to nuts!  This is my new channel.  Enjoy the video!

Link Posted: 12/30/2022 10:26:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 8:19:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 8:43:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 11:49:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fish223:

Super cool, and subscribed!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fish223:
Originally Posted By C-4:

I’m going to reboot this thread.  I’ve learned a lot in the last 10 years of doing this.  I lost the password to my old channel and started a new one, but this will be focused on ALL topics in aquaponics, basically soup to nuts!  This is my new channel.  Enjoy the video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx8rdISeZCo

Super cool, and subscribed!

Thank you @fish223
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 11:51:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

I learned a lot even from the bit you posted after that bad kill.  Telling male from female and seeing the reproductive organs was really interesting.  I would have recognized eggs, cuz my dad was always glad if we got fish eggs (rare, but they were yummy)  when he went fishing.  But not the ovaries or testes.
View All Quotes

Update:  09/13/2022

I can’t breed Channel catfish.  Trust me, I’ve tried.  There are several insurmountable problems:

1) The size of the tanks is simply too small to trigger natural breeding.  I’ve been looking for a property with a pond and I’m simply not finding any at a reasonable price.  Even a < 1/4 acre pond would suffice but it’s not happening.  I’ve explored pituitary hormones, etc.

2) Once you get them to 3 years old, breeding age, you run into problems with serious aggression between the fish.  This is even worse with Brown or Black Bullhead catfish I’ve kept before.

3) Overcrowding leads to Columnaris bacterial infection outbreaks.

I can get them to breeding size no problem, but then I’m unable to go any further.

There are easier fish to breed, specifically Nile Tilapia, but they require serious heating in the winter as the water cannot go below 50F.

Currently, I have White Perch, Yellow Perch and Largemouth Bass in my aquaponics system in the 550 gallon tank.  These are all wild-caught.  You need an aquaculture permit to catch wild fish to keep in your system but it’s only $20.  I have some great videos of feeding them that I will post up.

I also want to do a reboot of my aquaponics channel since I feel there is a lot I can teach on the subject.

Stay tuned!

I learned a lot even from the bit you posted after that bad kill.  Telling male from female and seeing the reproductive organs was really interesting.  I would have recognized eggs, cuz my dad was always glad if we got fish eggs (rare, but they were yummy)  when he went fishing.  But not the ovaries or testes.

Sorry about your mom @Kitties-with-Sigs

Yes, so many fish eggs are eaten.  The ones off the top of my head are sturgeon, lumpfish, salmon, bowfin, shad.  We used to eat yellow perch eggs!
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 12:02:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#8]
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 12:19:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Thank you.  It's okay now.  Trying to regain the brain cells.

As to the fish eggs.

I can't remember exactly what they were, but honestly...this was ponds and lakes.  He caught crappie, bluegill, the occasional bass, and I don't ever remember catfish getting skinned or scaled at our house.  So in small farm ponds and the local reservoir...that's about it.  I don't know why he didn't go for catfish, but he just never did.  A lot of folks here make a whole thing about fishing for catfish.

But yeah.  When we got eggs, it was a good supper.  I remember mom handling the finger-like egg sacs so carefully, rolling them in flour and managing them so carefully in the pan. (It was pan frying.  No deep frying.  This was a small southern KY farm.  Poor folks.  But between my dad's hunting, fishing and farming, we ate very, very well.  ETA:  And the gardens they grew.  Those were amazing.)
View All Quotes

Sorry about your mom @Kitties-with-Sigs

Yes, so many fish eggs are eaten.  The ones off the top of my head are sturgeon, lumpfish, salmon, bowfin, shad.  We used to eat yellow perch eggs!

Thank you.  It's okay now.  Trying to regain the brain cells.

As to the fish eggs.

I can't remember exactly what they were, but honestly...this was ponds and lakes.  He caught crappie, bluegill, the occasional bass, and I don't ever remember catfish getting skinned or scaled at our house.  So in small farm ponds and the local reservoir...that's about it.  I don't know why he didn't go for catfish, but he just never did.  A lot of folks here make a whole thing about fishing for catfish.

But yeah.  When we got eggs, it was a good supper.  I remember mom handling the finger-like egg sacs so carefully, rolling them in flour and managing them so carefully in the pan. (It was pan frying.  No deep frying.  This was a small southern KY farm.  Poor folks.  But between my dad's hunting, fishing and farming, we ate very, very well.  ETA:  And the gardens they grew.  Those were amazing.)

We had really nice crappie growing up.  They would be difficult in an aquaponics system since I’m not sure they would go for pelleted food.  Bluegill would be very easy.  I currently have 2 largemouth bass that are about 9” long.  I am feeding them worms right now.  They are the only wild fish I kept.  They are cool to look at and feed.

Where you live, there are likely channel catfish, blue catfish and flathead catfish.  They are all large and good-eating species.  They are better to fish at night so maybe he didn’t fish then?  A reservoir would be more than large enough to have some large wild catfish, but they can be raised in small ponds.  Commercially, the ponds are as little as 1 acre!

Link Posted: 1/1/2023 6:26:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#10]
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 4:31:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Update:  Stocking Brook trout in acquaintance’s pond and Rainbow trout in my aquaponics system:

Releasing Brook Trout Into A Tree Farm Pond

Rainbow Trout Release Into Aquaponics System
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 6:08:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Are the brook trout likely to establish a breeding population in that pond?
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 7:05:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Grendelsbane:
Are the brook trout likely to establish a breeding population in that pond?
View Quote

Probably not.  The creek will dry up in the summer so it won’t be available for them to breed in the fall.  

However, it is spring fed and Brook trout have been known to breed in them.  

Brook Trout spawn over gravel or sandy lake beds. The water depth is not more than about 6 feet/2 metres.
When finding these conditions, they’ll then seek out an underwater spring or an upwelling* water leeching through the gravel or sand.
If the temperature is above 68°F/20°C, spawning will not occur. Their ideal spawning temperature range is 50°F to 56°F/10°C to 13°C degrees.
Spawning usually starts in October and continues until Fall when the ice has left waterways and the temperature moves above 50°F/10°C.

https://bassfishing-gurus.com/brook-trout-reproduction/
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 11:14:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I'll play!

Almost ready to move the tilapia into their new home.

Link Posted: 6/4/2023 1:06:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 11:13:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C-4] [#16]

@kallnojoy

Awesome!  How big are the tilapia now?  They are apparently very easy to breed.  That makes your system self-sustainable!

I have access to some Nile Tilapia from the University of NH where they have an aquaponics program.  The head told me I can get some at any time.  When I put it on my aquaculture application this year, I got an earful from the NH Fish & Game biologist who said I’d need a “health certificate” before moving the fish to my house.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 11:27:07 PM EDT
[#17]

@kallnojoy

Awesome!  How big are the tilapia now?  They are apparently very easy to breed.  That makes your system self-sustainable!

I have access to some Nile Tilapia from the University of NH where they have an aquaponics program.  The head told me I can get some at any time.  When I put it on my aquaculture application this year, I got an earful from the NH Fish & Game biologist who said I'd need a "health certificate" before moving the fish to my house.
View Quote

I bought 20 or so blue niles last summer and reared them in doors, sorting them into a few breeding groups.

Long winter of hauling buckets of water out of the basement with all of the water changes!  

Through equal parts skill and blind luck, one of the groups spawned a few weeks ago and I have about 75 2" fingerlings ready to put outside.  A second breeding group also spawned a few days ago, so I have a backup set of fry "just in case".

So yes, I would concur that they breed readily and self-sustainability was a primary consideration.

Ultimately I want to put the whole affair either in a greenhouse or build out a corner in my pole barn.  The current arrangement is just a POC at small scale.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 6:40:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By kallnojoy:

I bought 20 or so blue niles last summer and reared them in doors, sorting them into a few breeding groups.

Long winter of hauling buckets of water out of the basement with all of the water changes!  

Through equal parts skill and blind luck, one of the groups spawned a few weeks ago and I have about 75 2" fingerlings ready to put outside.  A second breeding group also spawned a few days ago, so I have a backup set of fry "just in case".

So yes, I would concur that they breed readily and self-sustainability was a primary consideration.

Ultimately I want to put the whole affair either in a greenhouse or build out a corner in my pole barn.  The current arrangement is just a POC at small scale.
View All Quotes

@kallnojoy

I have access to some Nile Tilapia from the University of NH where they have an aquaponics program.  The head told me I can get some at any time.  When I put it on my aquaculture application this year, I got an earful from the NH Fish & Game biologist who said I'd need a "health certificate" before moving the fish to my house.

Holy cow!  That’s awesome!  That’s how it’s done!
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 9:59:09 PM EDT
[#19]

Holy cow!  That's awesome!  That's how it's done!
View All Quotes

@kallnojoy

Took a few days, but all the fingerlings were caught, counted and moved out... I kid you not, the exact tally was 87.  

My daughter (11) did most of catching... she got down to the last "few" and just couldn't wrangle them.  She estimated 3 or so left in the murk.  I drained the tank to within an inch or two and went after them and ended up with 12!
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 10:51:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C-4] [#20]

Took a few days, but all the fingerlings were caught, counted and moved out... I kid you not, the exact tally was 87.  

My daughter (11) did most of catching... she got down to the last "few" and just couldn't wrangle them.  She estimated 3 or so left in the murk.  I drained the tank to within an inch or two and went after them and ended up with 12!
View All Quotes

@kallnojoy

Nice!  My understanding is Tilapia are the least finicky fish about food—they’ll eat anything and turn it into more Tilapia!
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 10:11:00 PM EDT
[#21]

Nice!  My understanding is Tilapia are the least finicky fish about food they'll eat anything and turn it into more Tilapia!
View Quote

Crap.  Even the tanks are reproducing now...  

Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:52:16 PM EDT
[#22]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60523/IMG_20230619_205310_101-2857570.jpg
View All Quotes

Nice!  My understanding is Tilapia are the least finicky fish about food they'll eat anything and turn it into more Tilapia!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60523/IMG_20230619_205310_101-2857570.jpg

@kallnojoy

Any pictures of the fish?
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 5:51:15 PM EDT
[#23]

@kallnojoy

View Quote

@C-4

Not much of a fish photographer  

The dark wrapped tank and top glare doesn't make it easy... but here's the "fry" tank.  These are part of the 87 born less than 2 months ago.

Link Posted: 7/9/2023 9:27:06 PM EDT
[#24]

@C-4

The dark wrapped tank and top glare doesn't make it easy... but here's the "fry" tank.  These are part of the 87 born less than 2 months ago.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60523/IMG_20230703_124620_791-2872599.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60523/IMG_20230703_131320_2-2872602.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60523/IMG_20230703_124805_339-2872600.jpg
View All Quotes

@kallnojoy

@C-4

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60523/IMG_20230703_124620_791-2872599.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60523/IMG_20230703_131320_2-2872602.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60523/IMG_20230703_124805_339-2872600.jpg

Awesome!  What is the water temperature?
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 9:33:35 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

I haven't checked lately

Pool is high 70s, so I would imagine these are in line with that, if not a bit higher (low 80s) given the black wrap and cover.

Slightly better pic from earlier today.  These are the 5/13 fingerlings.  Shows the SLO is doing its job.

They feed like piranhas!  

Link Posted: 7/12/2023 11:24:14 PM EDT
[#26]

I haven't checked lately

Pool is high 70s, so I would imagine these are in line with that, if not a bit higher (low 80s) given the black wrap and cover.

Slightly better pic from earlier today.  These are the 5/13 fingerlings.  Shows the SLO is doing its job.

They feed like piranhas!  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60523/IMG_20230709_141737_000-2880355.jpg
View All Quotes

I haven't checked lately

They feed like piranhas!  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60523/IMG_20230709_141737_000-2880355.jpg

Link Posted: 7/14/2023 10:08:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Chow time...  

Link Posted: 7/15/2023 6:09:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Chow time...  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60523/FishFeed2-2885267.gif
View Quote

What is floating on top?
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 11:45:08 AM EDT
[#29]

What is floating on top?
View Quote

Tank lid, presently just the cut-off of the IBC tank.

Link Posted: 7/17/2023 6:16:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoseCuervo] [#30]
C-4, thanks for the thread! I have enjoyed reading a few pages a day for a few weeks.

You mentioned a page or year back about hard water and soft, but also salinity earlier. Might the water have been overly salted by softening it? I might have that backwards as well, I do know salt is used in softeners, but maybe that is discharged.

Thanks for the thread of more than a decade in the making. I have enjoyed it. If my LL ok's it, I am just going to start with a 10 gallon fish tank with a beta or something. I do know pothos or other non edible plants grow great on fish shit.

Link Posted: 8/6/2023 7:16:30 AM EDT
[#31]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60523/IMG_20230716_195534_642-2888951.jpg
View All Quotes

What is floating on top?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60523/IMG_20230716_195534_642-2888951.jpg

Got it @kallnojoy
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 11:16:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By JoseCuervo:
C-4, thanks for the thread! I have enjoyed reading a few pages a day for a few weeks.

You mentioned a page or year back about hard water and soft, but also salinity earlier. Might the water have been overly salted by softening it? I might have that backwards as well, I do know salt is used in softeners, but maybe that is discharged.

Thanks for the thread of more than a decade in the making. I have enjoyed it. If my LL ok's it, I am just going to start with a 10 gallon fish tank with a beta or something. I do know pothos or other non edible plants grow great on fish shit.

View Quote

@JoseCuervo

Yes, the resin exchange will exchange sodium for calcium, magnesium and iron!

The Columnaris bacterium will attach to the fish’s skin and gills better in hard water, but less so in soft water.  The sodium in small concentrations will have little negative effect.  

In fact, when you are starting to cycle a tank, having extra chloride ions (sodium chloride) will block nitrites from entering the fish and protect it from poisoning!

Most fish can tolerate fairly high sodium levels.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 7:52:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Battling high temperatures in mid-summer while raising Rainbow trout:

Rainbow Trout And High Water Temperatures
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 7:56:29 AM EDT
[#34]
General update on the Rainbow trout:

Rainbow Trout Mid Summer Update
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 4:28:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Love the video update!

Given your availability of water... aside from direct replacement to lower temps, have you considered running an evap cooler?

Would need an air/water heat exchanger in the mix, but something along the lines of:  

Building My Own Evaporative Cooling Wall (AKA Swamp Cooler)

Link Posted: 8/17/2023 8:00:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Thoughts on what could survive Arizona summers?
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 2:13:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C-4] [#37]
Originally Posted By alphabavo:
Thoughts on what could survive Arizona summers?
View Quote

@alphabravo

The temperature, as you know, is inversely proportionate to the oxygen concentration in the water.  Higher temperature = less dissolved oxygen.  Even agitating the water is not going to raise the oxygen level too much but can definitely help.

Channel catfish can tolerate water up to 100F if there is good water agitation, but you would not feed them past ~ 86F, and they prefer water in the mid-70’s

I would go with Tilapia first though as while their upper limit is lower at ~ 90F, they will feed and grow well right up to 84F.

ETA:  I have absolutely ZERO experience actually raising Tilapia so hopefully @kallnojoy can chime in.  Everything I know about them is reading only.  I can tell you a lot about Channel catfish, Rainbow trout, Yellow Perch, White Perch.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 7:39:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Have fry in the sump tank so I guess the adults are happy enough to spawn.  

No chance to grow these little ones out before the season ends, but the channel cats should appreciate them.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 8:51:25 AM EDT
[#39]

No chance to grow these little ones out before the season ends, but the channel cats should appreciate them.
View Quote

@kallnojoy

Nice!  My problem is trying to develop a self-sustaining operation.  You are all set with the Tilapia since you are successfully breeding them no problem!
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 2:06:27 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

@kallnojoy

What do your winter temperatures look like?  I have a 300 gallon stock take coming with no real ideas of what do to with it other than try my hand at raising some fish.  I have horses, but none of my sheep would be able to drink from it.  Only problem is we get below freezing in the winter time.  Never that long, and almost always thaw out pretty early in the morning.  Even 20-30 gallon water bowls don't freeze solid, but they will crust over.  That said, no flow, and no air bubbling.  Fishery would likely be placed somewhere that wouldn't get first light but would get sun right up until sunset.  Floating tank heaters do keep water tanks from freezing, though we didn't use them this past winter, never got ice thick enough that a light poke with a stick didn't solve the problem.

Tilapia was my first though, but some cursory looking sounds like tilapia really don't survive below 50, and I'm guessing I wouldn't have luck with getting catfish to breed from the sound of it.  Not sure what else would be there, and while trout looks to be cold, seems like stocking densities aren't friendly for breeding any quantity in that volume tank.  My immediate thought for expansion are IBC totes, seeing as already have several around I use as hay feeders, so something that can be done in that volume would be helpful.

End goal is to eat whatever fish, and additional growing area is always a plus, until it comes to harvesting.  But we're not smart and are already expanding our garden a bit this year.    Ideally I'll find an animal I can breed that my wife will eat.  I do sheep, have done rabbits, and getting quail again soon.  Not in a hurry to deal with dead fish, maybe just fill the tank this winter and see what the temps do before going to too much effort?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:36:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By haveTwo:

@kallnojoy

What do your winter temperatures look like?  I have a 300 gallon stock take coming with no real ideas of what do to with it other than try my hand at raising some fish.  I have horses, but none of my sheep would be able to drink from it.  Only problem is we get below freezing in the winter time.  Never that long, and almost always thaw out pretty early in the morning.  Even 20-30 gallon water bowls don't freeze solid, but they will crust over.  That said, no flow, and no air bubbling.  Fishery would likely be placed somewhere that wouldn't get first light but would get sun right up until sunset.  Floating tank heaters do keep water tanks from freezing, though we didn't use them this past winter, never got ice thick enough that a light poke with a stick didn't solve the problem.

Tilapia was my first though, but some cursory looking sounds like tilapia really don't survive below 50, and I'm guessing I wouldn't have luck with getting catfish to breed from the sound of it.  Not sure what else would be there, and while trout looks to be cold, seems like stocking densities aren't friendly for breeding any quantity in that volume tank.  My immediate thought for expansion are IBC totes, seeing as already have several around I use as hay feeders, so something that can be done in that volume would be helpful.

End goal is to eat whatever fish, and additional growing area is always a plus, until it comes to harvesting.  But we're not smart and are already expanding our garden a bit this year.    Ideally I'll find an animal I can breed that my wife will eat.  I do sheep, have done rabbits, and getting quail again soon.  Not in a hurry to deal with dead fish, maybe just fill the tank this winter and see what the temps do before going to too much effort?
View All Quotes

@kallnojoy

@haveTwo

Long story short - due to poor planning and lack of time (per usual)... I ended up overwintering a lot of fish

I can report that an assembly comprised of a 275 gallon IBC tote, two 55 gallon filter drums and a 100 gallon sump, in zone 6ish, with nothing more that a 1000 watt submersed heater, can maintain ~65F - with zero fish losses.  

The whole kit was wrapped in a few standard el-cheapo tarps (2 to 3 layers) and the top of the main tank and sump also had a single layer of insulated bubble-foil (think car windshield sun screen) over the top.

At some point, I also laid a few outdoor couch cushions over the main tank (thus completing the look of a homeless encampment adjacent the 405 ) ... for a cumulative R-Value of 87 (+/- infinity).

I can't say how much/often the heater ran, as I also had ~ 800 watts of solar feeding into it to offset the load...  and yes, I have data loggers for tracking both the power consumption and temp swings, but never got around to setting them up.    

Graph shows an example of our temps locally:

Biggest take-away is that they are a very hardy and adaptable fish and will survive and thrive if given reasonable (if not attractive) accommodations.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:52:36 PM EDT
[#42]

@haveTwo

Long story short - due to poor planning and lack of time (per usual)... I ended up overwintering a lot of fish

I can report that an assembly comprised of a 275 gallon IBC tote, two 55 gallon filter drums and a 100 gallon sump, in zone 6ish, with nothing more that a 1000 watt submersed heater, can maintain ~65F - with zero fish losses.  

The whole kit was wrapped in a few standard el-cheapo tarps (2 to 3 layers) and the top of the main tank and sump also had a single layer of insulated bubble-foil (think car windshield sun screen) over the top.

At some point, I also laid a few outdoor couch cushions over the main tank (thus completing the look of a homeless encampment adjacent the 405 ) ... for a cumulative R-Value of 87 (+/- infinity).

I can't say how much/often the heater ran, as I also had ~ 800 watts of solar feeding into it to offset the load...  and yes, I have data loggers for tracking both the power consumption and temp swings, but never got around to setting them up.    

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60523/temps-3190503.png

Biggest take-away is that they are a very hardy and adaptable fish and will survive and thrive if given reasonable (if not attractive) accommodations.

View All Quotes

@kallnojoy

@haveTwo

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60523/temps-3190503.png

@kallnojoy
Good to know, and the planning thing gets me all the time.  Why I may just focus on my quail this year, since my wife called me out on not getting back into them after the move.
Another critter to keep warm.

We're supposedly in a similar zone, but holy crap I'd be surprised if we ever saw a low anywhere near there.  Not sure what kind of power I would be able to draw, but I can easily put up 1600+ watts of solar and a few deep cycle batteries for a heater.  Supplement through the night with a charger overnights to avoid directly loading the circuit.  It's the one powering the lights in my stalls, not sure what else is on it.  In a few years I want to upgrade all the electrical on the house to include shit like generator hook up, solar, and maybe a battery backup.  But in the mean time, I'll ponder it through the night.

Pump *should* be good on the power available, but I can read spec sheets on pumps just as well as the next guy, and do some basic math.  (speaking of planning, I have solar powered gate I need to double check tonight...)

Heck, now I'm thinking a battery and solar panel near our main water tank to keep it thawed all winter...  Eventually.  Projects.  Yikes.

So I guess I need to measure out things.  No concerns of cosmetics, everything would be behind the stalls by the garden, out of sight.  Function over form for absolutely certain!
Page / 13
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top