Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2012 12:03:01 PM EDT
So as part of our overall plan for somewhat self sustainability, Mrs TVLL62CAL and I had discussed adding another wood burning appliance to the homestead here at MOA Ranch aka Maupin Creek Station, the parameters were somewhat complicating, in our house we have a full masonry flue that begins in the basement and here is where we installed a Quadrafire 4100, this insert basically heats the entire home by radiant means through the floor, its awesome, the furnace will occasionally come on in the early hours of the morning for maybe 10 min at most. We have another fireplace in the great room which separates it from the kitchen.
So with that flue facing the kitchen a cook stove was the obvious choice. We had to consider however the spacial relationships to flow in the kitchen AND safety. it was limiting to the size of stove choices available.
We narrowed it down to two the Vermont Bun Baker was one , compact and had an oven baking capacity, the other choice was the Big Bear Sheepherder from Energy House, we went with it for several reasons, the primary was firebox size, in these types of compact stoves there are not many choices, the Big Bear wins this area hands down, I simply dont want to be cutting and splitting two sizes of wood every year, the next biggest factor was of course cost, as much as liked the Bun Baker we felt it was cost prohibitive. I called the good folks at Energy House and off we went to the races, oh and by the way, this is a business owned and operated by preppers !, So what follows are some pics of the stove installed up and running.

This is the location in the kitchen

Sausage gravy begins

Biscuits going in the oven

breakfast complete from the stove, with Eggs on top

oatmeal raisin cranberry cookies...since the oven is always hot

The other thing this stove is doing is heating the entire upstairs of a 1600 sq foot home up to about 75-80 on a day of 19 degrees outside with 30 mph winds, overall we will give this stove 5 stars, the only modification was two cheap fireplace screens to keep wagging tails away from the firebox and oven.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 2:22:26 PM EDT
[#1]
verra nice!
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 7:40:05 PM EDT
[#2]
man that is a awesome stove.  very cool stuff.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 8:56:53 PM EDT
[#3]
nice stove
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 9:07:40 PM EDT
[#4]
That is really neat.  Is there a reason for the rocks underneath?

Grove
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 2:12:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 4:49:40 AM EDT
[#6]
How large is the wood burning area?  

Nice looking stove.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 4:53:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That is really neat.  Is there a reason for the rocks underneath?

Grove

Good observation! yes the reason is I felt a heat shield was in order, the surface temp of the floor tile got up to about 185 degrees, not that it should be a concern but with the rocks in place the floor tiles are at about 90 with the stove at full on running temps of 450 oven and 500 cook top temps, the rocks were available and handy so it was/is an experiment we may do the same thing with something more aesthetic , and the fireplace screens are surrounding it because of three dogs (Coonhounds) with wagging tails LOL, I am going to fabricate a metal heat shield/ back splash so we dont stain the brickwork when frying the official food of ARFCOM......BACON !
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 4:55:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How large is the wood burning area?  

Nice looking stove.[/quo

The fire box measures 12" high 12' wide 16' deep
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 11:22:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for pointing out that I'm going to need a couple of stove guards when I install my stove at the camp. My stove pipe is also off center to the right.

BTW. Nice topic.

How about cooking up a roast.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 11:59:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Nice setup OP!

I miss cooking on my wood stove up in PA...

No need for one here in FL.

PAR

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top