Site Notices
Page / 56
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 6:14:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Probably gas.

View Quote

Probably.  He's been getting more and more entertaining each day.

Still giving us absolute fits about not wanting to go to sleep between 7 and 10pm.  

The rest of the day he eats, plays, farts, eats more and then lays his head down on your shoulder and goes quietly in to the crib.

In the evening .. nope... lays in the crib fussing, sometimes for hours.  

TRG
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 6:21:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Still giving us absolute fits about not wanting to go to sleep between 7 and 10pm.  

The rest of the day he eats, plays, farts, eats more and then lays his head down on your shoulder and goes quietly in to the crib.

TRG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Probably gas.

TRG

Something worth trying if not already is lay him on his back, and holding him by his feet/ankles, tuck his knees up over his tummy - kind of like into a cannon ball position.  

Repeat a dozen or so times slowly or until you hear the cannon go off.

At that age they can sometimes get pockets of gas that they can't comfortably work out on their own.

mylicon aka: simethicone can also help if it is gas.

You must have a handsome milk man.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 6:30:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Something worth trying if not already is lay him on his back, and holding him by his feet/ankles, tuck his knees up over his tummy - kind of like into a cannon ball position.  

At that age they can sometimes get pockets of gas that they can't comfortably work out on their own.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Probably gas.

TRG

We'll try it.

I can get you some nude pics of the milk man...

TRG
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 6:37:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

How much of this rum do I put in his bottle?

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gripe Water helped with my son.  Dunno why it worked, but it did.

How much of this rum do I put in his bottle?

TRG

Per the label's instructions.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 6:39:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I gotta stop taking pics of him when he's drunk.

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
poor kid has his daddy's "wtf" look

I gotta stop taking pics of him when he's drunk.

TRG

he's getting all the titty he wants...you'd be a happy drunk too
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 6:40:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Probably gas.

TRG

fire in the hole!
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 9:52:04 AM EDT
[#7]
It's been a wet, soggy and dreary month.  Nothing but rain, snow, ice, more rain, clouds and below average temps.

this is how my garden has spent the last month:

Yes, we went from drought to torrential rains.  So much that a spring opened up in the garden.

I lost the first 300(?) onions and replanted (see above) and the second planting seems to be taking root.  Greens, carrots, spinach and large leafed vegetables are doing ok, but the cool temps have slowed them.

Tomatoes have been in the ground for two weeks and although they have not died from root rot, they have also not thrived.

Deer lease is being sold, so we had to haul off our feeders and equipment.  I have been stuck in my yard since March 11th.  I could move it with the tradtor, but it would just make more of a mess.

Neighbor asked me to drag them out of their own yard yesterday because the ground is just saturated out here.

This little guy, on the other hand has been doing very well and taking up a lot of my time that I would have been spending outside on tractors.  Smaller garden this year, but time is a management issue now:

I liked this pic, the wife unit didn't.  Dunno why, but, it just seemed to capture her emotions and his in that instant.

Easter pics taken by the babysitter (also neighbor and SHTF prepper):

Michial really...really ... likes animals.

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:00:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Good pics.

You're selling the new property?
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:05:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Good pics.

You're selling the new property?
View Quote

No.  Mojo is the person who owned the place where I deer hunted.  Coleman Texas.  He is selling.

I do hunt the new property, but, no plans to sell it.  It's too convenient and has a great deer population ... five minutes from my front door.

FWIW, if anyone is looking for 250 acres in Coleman, Texas, IM him.

TRG

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 9:28:53 PM EDT
[#11]

I used a couple of PVC feeders,  They wasted a lot of feed with mine.

TRG
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 9:46:07 PM EDT
[#12]
trk is adorable.  sorry about the rain, we're pretty soggy up here too.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:00:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I prepped my new garden bed in January. (bought a house last fall).  Had to add a few inches of sand and some loamy topsoil compost mix and till it in to the HEAVY clay to get something that I think might grow plants.  Going to plant this weekend - I think we're finally done with cold and the soil is warm enough now.  Tomatoes, peppers, string beans, and a few other things, small plot, maybe 12 x 15'.  Just out of time to take care of any more with two jobs and school.

The 3 apple and 2 peach trees and blackberry bushes out of the Gurney's catalog are sprouting leaves after having been in the ground for a month.

I thought I remember reading you post that you weren't going to plant until mid-April, but then saw the mention of the tomato plants?  Is there more to go in the ground or is it done?
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:08:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I prepped my new garden bed in January. (bought a house last fall).  Had to add a few inches of sand and some loamy topsoil compost mix and till it in to the HEAVY clay to get something that I think might grow plants.  Going to plant this weekend - I think we're finally done with cold and the soil is warm enough now.  Tomatoes, peppers, string beans, and a few other things, small plot, maybe 12 x 15'.  Just out of time to take care of any more with two jobs and school.

The 3 apple and 2 peach trees and blackberry bushes out of the Gurney's catalog are sprouting leaves after having been in the ground for a month.

I thought I remember reading you post that you weren't going to plant until mid-April, but then saw the mention of the tomato plants?  Is there more to go in the ground or is it done?
View Quote

I need to plant a few more peppers (jalapeno) and corn, and eggplant ...

Most of the onions will be replaced with watermelons in a few months.  Garlic bed will probably be okra when the garlic is done.

I had planned to wait until Mid-April.  I got bored though and needed a reason to get off the couch.

TRG
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:58:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Looking a little soggy there.  Glad your getting some rain but come on.  It gets old after a while.  Hope the garden recovers from the flood.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:53:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I had planned to wait until Mid-April. ...

TRG
View Quote

We are in the middle of getting five inches of snow.  Gardens in this AO wait until mid June
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 1:42:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

We are in the middle of getting five inches of snow.  Gardens in this AO wait until mid June
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

Got mine planted Saturday. The problem on the back end of the growing season around here is whether anything will set when the temps go up to the 95-100 range continually in July and August.  I don't know if that's too hot.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 2:29:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Got mine planted Saturday. The problem on the back end of the growing season around here is whether anything will set when the temps go up to the 95-100 range continually in July and August.  I don't know if that's too hot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

95-100 too hot for what plant?

Large leafed plants don't do well in that kind of heat, but, smaller leafed ones should be fine.

TRG

TRG
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 4:17:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Maters, zucchini, and summer squash.  I think the peppers will be OK even though they are green bell. Didn't plant any melons and the apple and peach trees said OK for up to zone 9.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 5:39:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Maters, zucchini, and summer squash.  I think the peppers will be OK even though they are green bell. Didn't plant any melons and the apple and peach trees said OK for up to zone 9.
View Quote

Eggplant is also fond of heat.  Same family as tomatoes and peppers.

TRG
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:31:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Here is pic of my garden. I have 6  5'x12' boxes, 2 of the boxes potatoes, 1 box of garlic , 1 box of corn.
The other 2 boxes will have peppers and squash. Behind the boxes are blueberry bushes, muscadine vines and grape vines.
I just planted 3 figs and have 1 pear tree about 4 years old. I do have a small patch of thornless blackberries close to the house.
I like to expand a little at a time.

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:53:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Here is pic of my garden. I have 6  5'x12' boxes, 2 of the boxes potatoes, 1 box of garlic , 1 box of corn.
The other 2 boxes will have peppers and squash. Behind the boxes are blueberry bushes, muscadine vines and grape vines.
I just planted 3 figs and have 1 pear tree about 4 years old. I do have a small patch of thornless blackberries close to the house.

http://i58.tinypic.com/ir860x.jpg
View Quote

Do you rotate in a particular cycle each season?

TRG
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 7:00:36 AM EDT
[#23]
I do rotate the crops. Only plants I do not rotate is the cucumbers because of a small section of fence
I have attach to one of the boxes.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:47:52 PM EDT
[#24]
You keep getting rain your gonna have to grow gills and start a crawfish farm.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:54:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your trees are all green.
Still just sticks here.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 6:06:40 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Got mine planted Saturday. The problem on the back end of the growing season around here is whether anything will set when the temps go up to the 95-100 range continually in July and August. I don't know if that's too hot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

TRG

We are in the middle of getting five inches of snow. Gardens in this AO wait until mid June

Got mine planted Saturday. The problem on the back end of the growing season around here is whether anything will set when the temps go up to the 95-100 range continually in July and August. I don't know if that's too hot.

That's the problem here as well. They need to revamp the growing zones, zone 8 here is nothing like zone 8 in the pacific northwest. Then there's the bug problem.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 6:08:17 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Large leafed plants don't do well in that kind of heat, but, smaller leafed ones should be fine.

TRG

TRG

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

TRG

We are in the middle of getting five inches of snow. Gardens in this AO wait until mid June

TRG

TRG

If it doesn't get below 80 at night tomatoes won't set fruit. Everything goes to crap by august, if the heat doesn't' get them, the bugs will. With the exception of peppers.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 6:11:32 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Here is pic of my garden. I have 6 5'x12' boxes, 2 of the boxes potatoes, 1 box of garlic , 1 box of corn.

View Quote

awesome! Raised beds are the way to go!

I also have a compost heap going. You're first crops your soil!

I'm down to 5 little raised beds now.  I did have 7. Plus 2 of them are shorter. I limit mine to 4 or 3 feet in width. I mulch between them, it cuts down on watering and weeds.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 8:00:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'm down to 5 little raised beds now.  I did have 7. Plus 2 of them are shorter. I limit mine to 4 or 3 feet in width. I mulch between them, it cuts down on watering and weeds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here is pic of my garden. I have 6 5'x12' boxes, 2 of the boxes potatoes, 1 box of garlic , 1 box of corn.

I have a very large compost pile going to the left of the picture. Every green , egg shells, coffee grounds and some paper products goes in. If someone is throwing out bagged leaves or grass I pick it up.
Just a pro tip here......if you go to a coffee shop ask if you can have their coffee grounds. I get some from Wholefoods when I visit their store.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 12:03:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Well the bugs have started on the cukes and zucchs already. Dusted them all last night. Will get the fruit trees this evening with a spray.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 12:16:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I have a very large compost pile going to the left of the picture. Every green , egg shells, coffee grounds and some paper products goes in. If someone is throwing out bagged leaves or grass I pick it up.
Just a pro tip here......if you go to a coffee shop ask if you can have their coffee grounds. I get some from Wholefoods when I visit their store.
View Quote

Chickens like 'em too, strangely enough.

I learned that by trying to mulch coffee grounds.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 1:52:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Well the bugs have started on the cukes and zucchs already. Dusted them all last night. Will get the fruit trees this evening with a spray.
View Quote

What kind of bugs?

Stinkbugs were the worst on mine.  I never found a powder or dust that would stop them though.

Took a direct spray with a surfactant bug killer to kill stinkbugs.

TRG
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 9:12:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

What kind of bugs?

Stinkbugs were the worst on mine.  I never found a powder or dust that would stop them though.

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What kind of bugs?

TRG

I can't tell, but I didn't really get up close and look.  The only bug I saw on the ground were pillbugs.  They were unaffected by the Sevin this morning, but the leaf damage was not any worse than yesterday.  I did not see any stink bugs.  The tomatoes and peppers were unaffected.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 10:01:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I can't tell, but I didn't really get up close and look.  The only bug I saw on the ground were pillbugs.  They were unaffected by the Sevin this morning, but the leaf damage was not any worse than yesterday.  I did not see any stink bugs.  The tomatoes and peppers were unaffected.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What kind of bugs?

TRG

Pics of damage?

TRG
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 10:01:47 PM EDT
[#35]
I made this post in a different forum earlier, but, it is also a good update for the garden right now.

California is in a drought and my garden has been slugging under record rainfall.

Al the stray weeds and grasses that I pull are tossed in to the 50x20 chicken run.  Hens also get all the grass clippings from the front yard.

Onions on far left.  Greens, beets, mustards, lettuces. ... in the big 'bed'.

Then garlic (regrown from my own previous crop circa 2014)

Then more onions (also re-grown from 2014 stored bulbs)

Then store bought tomatoes, peppers, etc.

Chicken manure is used to fertilize the vegetables.  Other crops (summer squash) are planted around the perimeter of the coop (outside) so that their roots can get to the nitrogen rich soil under the run, enjoy the benefit from the chickens catching bugs that stray across the border and also use the chicken wire to climb (cukes)

'Downstream' of the run, where runoff takes the most nitrogen rich wash I planted watermelons, pumpkins and sweet potatoes.

We'll see how much the food prices affect us all this year.

TRG

Link Posted: 4/3/2015 10:04:10 PM EDT
[#36]
White bucket hanging in the run is the maggot processor.  Has a dead feral cat and a dead rooster in it.

I also have some bags of dog food that have gone rancid.  I think they will also rot and produce a fertile crop of maggots for the hens.

TRG
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 11:41:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
White bucket hanging in the run is the maggot processor.  Has a dead feral cat and a dead rooster in it.

I also have some bags of dog food that have gone rancid.  I think they will also rot and produce a fertile crop of maggots for the hens.

TRG
View Quote

so it's like cajun food...anything that doesn't run fast enough goes in the pot
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 12:01:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

TRG
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 10:40:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Pics of damage?

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What kind of bugs?

TRG

Pics of damage?

TRG

Here was typical damage:

However after the Sevin they are repairing themselves and look better now.

Got 5 tomatoes, 3 bell peppers, a hill each of zucchini, summer squash, and cukes in a little 12-14' square plot. My three apples, liberty, novaspy, and Fuji, are doing good but the liberty is not growing nearly as many leaves.  Planted all of them in 10 dollar holes for 5 dollar plants ($25 if we are counting). The peach trees are up on the high side of my yard and are going to require more water over time.but are showing vigorous growth right now.

Apples and bbrys:

Link Posted: 4/8/2015 10:55:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Definite 'leaf eater' damage.  Good call on the Sevin.

I don't see any cut-worm prevention on the soil though.  Are you putting down any granular bug killer to prevent them. or just getting lucky?

TRG
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 7:59:14 AM EDT
[#41]
I haven't put anything down. The beds are new so I must just be getting lucky? Are you thinking grubs or some other critter?  recommendation on a type?
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 9:20:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I haven't put anything down. The beds are new so I must just be getting lucky? Are you thinking grubs or some other critter?  recommendation on a type?
View Quote

http://hardwaredistributors.com/bug-b-gon-max-gran-10.html?gclid=CNfe_tTI6sQCFQGTfgod2iwAig

Yes, you've gotten very lucky.  The cutworm is a larvae that is deposited by an adult fly.  New soil has nothing to do with it.

the permethrin, as I've been told, poisons the soil so that the larvae/pupa ingests it as it eats its way out of the soil.

I've found dead larvae on the ground around my plants.

Persistent in the soil after a rain, and harmless for you and I.

I try to keep enough for 2-3 years on hand at a time.  When things work, they tend to get banned.

TRG
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 9:53:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Will do.  I'll see if I can find it at the big box on Saturday, I believe I have seen it there.  Thank you for the advice, it's not really something I worried about when I gardened as a kid because the winters were harsher in that locale, but I should have taken 10 minutes to google pests in this locale given everything else I looked up...
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 10:40:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Will do.  I'll see if I can find it at the big box on Saturday, I believe I have seen it there.  Thank you for the advice, it's not really something I worried about when I gardened as a kid because the winters were harsher in that locale, but I should have taken 10 minutes to google pests in this locale given everything else I looked up...
View Quote

Wal-mart sells it.

TRG
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 11:49:41 PM EDT
[#45]
So, I'm still having a problem with one of the neighbors at the 'new property'.  guy just can't seem to get the message that MY property is mine, and his is well, his.

I went over there two days ago and found this...My side of the fence, along with all the blackberry vines, has been mowed.

Now that was irritating, but it wasn't what really pissed me off.  Notice the tree stump?  Notice it is on 'my side' of the fence?  He cut it and dropped the 15' top on my side.  In the pic I have already placed it back over the fence.

I called the Sheriff (to be on record, in Texas it's a factor) and asked if they would send a deputy.  Since i had no spoken to the neighbor they (deputy on phone) advised me to make contact and verbally notify the trespasser.  While I was taking pics the neighbor came out.

He was kinda confrontational and told me that if I had taken better care of my property he would not have to do it for me.  

That kinda...kinda..pissed me off.  I asked him how he would feel if I came in to HIS yard and started cutting down his trees?

His response, "Well, if you called me first and asked nicely, then sure..."

My response... "then why the hell didn't you call and ask me?"

It went downhill from there.  I called the Sheriff back and advised them that I had spoken to the landowner.  The SO recommended I put up notice.

Here's the Texas law on that..

State Law

Penal Code § 30.05. Criminal Trespass.

(a) A person commits an offense if he enters or remains on or in property, including an aircraft or other vehicle, of another without effective consent or he enters or remains in a building of another without effective consent and he:
(1) had notice that the entry was forbidden; or
(2) received notice to depart but failed to do so.
(b) For purposes of this section:
(1) “Entry” means the intrusion of the entire body.
(2) “Notice” means:
(A) oral or written communication by the owner or someone with apparent authority to act for the owner;
(B) fencing or other enclosure obviously designed to exclude intruders or to contain livestock;
(C) a sign or signs posted on the property or at the entrance to the building, reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders, indicating that entry is forbidden;
(D) the placement of identifying purple paint marks on trees or posts on the property, provided that the marks are:
(i) vertical lines of not less than eight inches in length and not less than one inch in width;
(ii) placed so that the bottom of the mark is not less than three feet from the ground or more than five feet from the ground; and
(iii) placed at locations that are readily visible to any person approaching the property and no more than:
(a) 100 feet apart on forest land; or

(b) 1,000 feet apart on land other than forest land; or

There is more to the law, but, it was time to get busy and make sure that notice was given.  The gate was a problem.  It's not made to exclude intruders.  So, I had to make it clear.

I like purple, btw.  Note the big tree...It is where the No Trespassing sign is located.

Every post along his back fence is painted with a 1"x8" vertical stripe.  3 to 5 feet above ground and ...clearly visible.  

I need to add a lock to the gate to be 100% solid on the 'exclude intruders" portion, but, for now I think he has been given notice.

Technically, the fence is not a livestock fence, so this new paint scheme should leave no doubt about the property now.

TRG

Link Posted: 4/10/2015 12:03:50 AM EDT
[#46]

notice served
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 12:53:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Wonder what the bill will be from the neighbor for the "clean-up"
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 1:04:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Good luck, I had the sheriffs out that caught three trespassers (property is marked with signs and hash marks) And they don't wont to do much of anything, called the wardens for poachers and that seemed to get a response, they will pull licenses for trespassing but they said its hard to prosecute becuase judges don't trust people know where their lines are (even though I have a survey with the signs and hash marks)

So good luck with the neighbor.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 1:57:36 AM EDT
[#49]
He cut down your blackberries?!  

And then got pissy with you??!!  

That jerk would be on my shit list till the day he shed his mortal coil...good blackberry bushes are worth a lot more than a jerk for a neighbor.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 8:03:17 AM EDT
[#50]
OK, now you know where the hog pen goes...
Page / 56
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top