Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 56
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:43:37 PM EDT
[#1]
with a sign like that you had to stop in.  it's like a urologist named dr. pecker, a proctologist named dr. butz, or an ob/gyn partnership between katz, kuntz, and beavers
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:35:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
with a sign like that you had to stop in.  it's like a urologist named dr. pecker, a proctologist named dr. butz, or an ob/gyn partnership between katz, kuntz, and beavers
View Quote

Or a pimp named Slickback..

TRG
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:42:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

TRG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

it's a goat in a purple suit!
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:07:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:40:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Got the radiator and the fan w water pump today.  Radiator was just under 500 for the re-core and labor.  It is now a three row radiator and has 50% more cooling capacity than the original when new.  With the previous repairs (see pics prev page) there was some cooling loss, but the tractor never ran hot.  I ran it at a fast idle for almost two hours today, it never went much over 120 for the temp gauge reading.

Why did I run it for 2 hours?  Still a power issue.  I can get full power from the carb if I open the 'load' needle.  Hell, if I barely crack it open the tractor idles strong, too strong.  If I go anywhere near the recommended turn-and-a-half-open the tractor is howling at idle.

The idle adjustment seems to do nothing.  I can hear some drop in RPMs when I tighten it, but, nothing compared to the load needle.  I have looked at the schematics and I don't see any other adjustments on the carb.

I ran it for two hours today to try and break loose whatever internal hole/jet might be clogged.  Berryman's B12 in the fuel.

There was some trash in the fuel filter and the flow is steady when the tractor is running with the load jet opened (fast).

With the new plugs, points cleaned, rotor cleaned ... it still seems to have a slight 'miss' to me.  

I'm missing something in this carb/fuel/spark combo but I am not sure what.

TRG
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:45:03 PM EDT
[#6]
My project costs so far...

1800 for the tractor two summers ago.
500 radiator
80 replacement fan (w bonus waterpump, pulley and spacer...ebay)
25 coolant
65 alternator
25 plugs and wires
45 paint
35 misc cleaners, solvents, fuel line, filter tape, etc.

So, In my mind I have about 1900 invested in this thing.  

TRG

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:43:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My project costs so far...

1800 for the tractor two summers ago.
500 radiator
80 replacement fan (w bonus waterpump, pulley and spacer...ebay)
25 coolant
65 alternator
25 plugs and wires
45 paint
35 misc cleaners, solvents, fuel line, filter tape, etc.

So, In my mind I have about 1900 invested in this thing.  

TRG

View Quote

Paper and pencil are your enemy.

"About 1900 dollars, honey."

Itemization is for many weepings.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:21:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Glad I wandered back in here.

Welcome back.

Have you been able to salvage anything from the garden this year?

Gopher, late to everything.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:48:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Welcome back.

View Quote

Not really, no.  Most plants are stunted and very little is being produced.  In a different year, with more free time, I would try again for a summer garden.  

At this point, I am taking care of other projects and I'm adopting a 'wait and see' approach to the peppers and tomatoes.  

Funny story time ...

When I was at my parent's for Father's day my mom said, "Do you want to eat the watermelon you brought us?"

... I didn't bring a watermelon mom...

"Yes you did, last summer, we never ate it.  Let me go get it...."

She came back with a very nice, green, watermelon from my garden last June.  A 1 year old watermelon.  

I've never even known of a melon 'living' for a year after being picked.

I cut it open and the meat was 'off' in its color, and the taste was off as well.  Not rancid, just not melony or sweet.

I took a cup of seeds home and they are now sprouting in the garden.

TRG
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 7:48:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Not really, no.  Most plants are stunted and very little is being produced.  In a different year, with more free time, I would try again for a summer garden.  

At this point, I am taking care of other projects and I'm adopting a 'wait and see' approach to the peppers and tomatoes.  

Funny story time ...

When I was at my parent's for Father's day my mom said, "Do you want to eat the watermelon you brought us?"

She came back with a very nice, green, watermelon from my garden last June. A 1 year old watermelon.  

I cut it open and the meat was 'off' in its color, and the taste was off as well.  Not rancid, just not melony or sweet.

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Welcome back.

Funny story time ...

She came back with a very nice, green, watermelon from my garden last June. A 1 year old watermelon.  

TRG

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 4:11:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 5:00:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I've held one almost that long before.  It was nasty inside though.

I'd have been scared to taste it.
View Quote

I've tasted worse.  

TRG
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 6:51:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Just read this thread over the last couple of weeks. Most of my questions were answered later on but I didn't see this. Were you ever able to sell those bird houses or snowmen?
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:32:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:24:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

OMG!  I forgot about those. I remember I was going to get some of those, then teh SHTF with my mom's health and I dropped out for a while.

Those were gorgeous!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just read this thread over the last couple of weeks. Most of my questions were answered later on but I didn't see this. Were you ever able to sell those bird houses or snowmen?

OMG!  I forgot about those. I remember I was going to get some of those, then teh SHTF with my mom's health and I dropped out for a while.

Those were gorgeous!

A few did sell for 10-15 ea.  Most people wanted to pay 5 bucks or less for them.  Wasn't worth my time to clean, cut, drill, paint, etc.   ... for 5 bucks.

I still grow the gourds and I like using them around the place, but, it wasn't going to pay more than my time was worth for the effort.

But, thank you, for the compliment.  A few of them are still on display in a few friend's houses.  

TRG
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:25:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

The three snowmen are still in my office.  I like them.  Nobody wanted to pay, again, more than 5 bucks for them.

It's odd what people find as 'valuable' these days.

TRG
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:30:41 PM EDT
[#17]
My wife bought me some gourd seeds.

She wants me to grow them so she can get her crafty self crafty.

Looks like I am going to have to go back and re read that part of the thread.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:13:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The three snowmen are still in my office.  I like them.  Nobody wanted to pay, again, more than 5 bucks for them.

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

Thanks I read up to where you got banned and literally screamed fuck and my wife was like what? I was like you know that farm I've been reading about well he got banned and now I can't ask my question. She just rolled her eyes.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:31:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:22:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Thanks I read up to where you got banned and literally screamed fuck and my wife was like what? I was like you know that farm I've been reading about well he got banned and now I can't ask my question. She just rolled her eyes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

Very similar experience for me as well
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 10:00:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Took the radiator to a local guy.  Sign says "Best place in town to take a leak."

He was optimistic about being able to repair the damage. He quoted 40 for the job, and 65 if it was more work than it looked to be.

Sadly, after about 2 hours he called me.  Could not get the radiator to stop leaking.  Working to fix one leak caused another to open.  The option to remove tubs would mean almost a 30% of the tubes would be pulled.  Maybe more.

It just wasn't going to reasonable to expect it to stop leaking or cool the water enough if that many cores were pulled.

So ... quote of 300 for the core, 150 labor.  Core is coming from Dallas tomorrow and will be about 30% more surface area for cooling.  Full warranty on the radiator and labor.  Finding an after-market replacement (with the warnings here about quality issues) this looks like the only real solution.  I haven't found a salvage, original, radiator on the webs.

Radiator guy does mufflers too, so he and I are going to engineer a new muffler pipe as well.

TRG
View Quote

Maibach's didn't have anything?
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 10:19:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Took the radiator to a local guy.  Sign says "Best place in town to take a leak."

He was optimistic about being able to repair the damage. He quoted 40 for the job, and 65 if it was more work than it looked to be.

Sadly, after about 2 hours he called me.  Could not get the radiator to stop leaking.  Working to fix one leak caused another to open.  The option to remove tubs would mean almost a 30% of the tubes would be pulled.  Maybe more.

It just wasn't going to reasonable to expect it to stop leaking or cool the water enough if that many cores were pulled.

So ... quote of 300 for the core, 150 labor.  Core is coming from Dallas tomorrow and will be about 30% more surface area for cooling.  Full warranty on the radiator and labor.  Finding an after-market replacement (with the warnings here about quality issues) this looks like the only real solution.  I haven't found a salvage, original, radiator on the webs.

Radiator guy does mufflers too, so he and I are going to engineer a new muffler pipe as well.

TRG

Dunno.

Looking back, I think I would have made a mistake by ordering a Super 55 radiator.  After working with and removing/installing the radiator I learned a few things.

Before I got started, and after the serial number lookup, I thought someone had just replaced a decorative cowling from the Super 55 with the 550 cowling.

Radiator is not attached to the tractor's frame.  It integrated in to the cowling. Since the cowling is for a 550 ... that means this radiator is a 550 radiator as well.  The Super 55 and 550 have similar radiators, but the fill neck is taller on the 550.

My suspicion is that in the past a tree probably fell on the front of this tractor.  Crushed the radiator, damaged the fan blade.  ...?   There is a bracket on the tractor that has some homemade attachment points to make the 550 cowling fit.

TRG
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 9:30:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Been trying to find a 'job' for the newly painted Satoh Beaver III... seemed like it needed something to do now that it is running again.

Kiddie Tractor Train Engine?

Why not...

The Little Tykes Roadsters are from the Amazon warehouse (open box and used) some had to be sent back for missing parts, others (as shown) were fine.  

The 'genius' of the Kiddie Roadster was the fact that it is designed to be either pushed OR pulled.  Interchangeable handle ... so .. It wook just a little thinking to daisy-chain them

A garage sale garden rake handle and a 2 dollar square pin ...voila!

I also replaced the rusted and broken seat on the Satoh Beaver III.  80 bucks on Ebay.  Had to add a wedge under the 'universal' seat though.  New battery as well.

Umbrella was 16 bucks (also amazon warehouse deal).

Why?

I really don;t know, but, it felt good hauling a line of little carts behind the tractor today.  Our babysitter's gradnson (also a neighbor) is turning 2 on August 2nd, so it will be kid-tested then.

The Satoh Beaver III is sooooo slow in low gear, you can out walk it in low 1 or 2.  

TRG
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 10:01:22 PM EDT
[#24]
good use of the old beaver
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 10:06:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 10:40:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You have GOT to recruit some kiddos and drive that train in a parade.  

No idea how you'll get around the "it's dangerous" thing. Hell, the homecoming queen is technically in danger when she sits way up on the float waving.  

Just sayin.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Been trying to find a 'job' for the newly painted Satoh Beaver III... seemed like it needed something to do now that it is running again.

Kiddie Tractor Train Engine?

Why not...

<a href="http://s671.photobucket.com/user/TheRedGoat/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150716_170657_zpsvt5spwpu.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv71/TheRedGoat/Mobile%20Uploads/20150716_170657_zpsvt5spwpu.jpg</a>

The Little Tykes Roadsters are from the Amazon warehouse (open box and used) some had to be sent back for missing parts, others (as shown) were fine.  

<a href="http://s671.photobucket.com/user/TheRedGoat/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150716_170657_zpsvt5spwpu.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv71/TheRedGoat/Mobile%20Uploads/20150716_170657_zpsvt5spwpu.jpg</a>

The 'genius' of the Kiddie Roadster was the fact that it is designed to be either pushed OR pulled.  Interchangeable handle ... so .. It wook just a little thinking to daisy-chain them

A garage sale garden rake handle and a 2 dollar square pin ...voila!

<a href="http://s671.photobucket.com/user/TheRedGoat/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150716_170713_zpstqmu1rt5.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv71/TheRedGoat/Mobile%20Uploads/20150716_170713_zpstqmu1rt5.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s671.photobucket.com/user/TheRedGoat/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150716_170720_zpsgdvyckqx.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv71/TheRedGoat/Mobile%20Uploads/20150716_170720_zpsgdvyckqx.jpg</a>

I also replaced the rusted and broken seat on the Satoh Beaver III.  80 bucks on Ebay.  Had to add a wedge under the 'universal' seat though.  New battery as well.

Umbrella was 16 bucks (also amazon warehouse deal).

Why?

I really don;t know, but, it felt good hauling a line of little carts behind the tractor today.  Our babysitter's gradnson (also a neighbor) is turning 2 on August 2nd, so it will be kid-tested then.

The Satoh Beaver III is sooooo slow in low gear, you can out walk it in low 1 or 2.  

TRG

You have GOT to recruit some kiddos and drive that train in a parade.  

No idea how you'll get around the "it's dangerous" thing. Hell, the homecoming queen is technically in danger when she sits way up on the float waving.  

Just sayin.

The Satoh is designed to crawl through wet rice paddies.  It's 15 HP and nothing but torque.  In the Low range, it is unbelievably slow.

Top speed,  (H3) full throttle .. 7 MPH.

Low 1 = 1 foot per second ... yes ... one foot.

Low 3 = 2.5ish feet per second.

Page 24 http://home.comcast.net/~tdepooter/S-370%20Beaver.pdf

L1 = .63 MPH
L2 = .96 MPH
L3 =  1.6 MPH

The average 'walking pace' of an adult is around 3-4 mph.

I wondered about safety as well, but, these have seatbelts, and with a parent walking next to it, should be no issue.

I think a small kid will benefit fro ma belt, but an older kid could really just step off and not be injured.

TRG

Link Posted: 7/16/2015 10:42:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Thought it was a Beaver.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 10:49:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Thought it was a Beaver.
View Quote

what else would you pull a train with?  mouthey ferguson?
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 10:51:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Thought it was a Beaver.
View Quote

Satoh Beaver III... I knew the full Christian name of it would get you unbanned.

It's like saying Beetlejews three times..

TRG
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 11:08:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 11:19:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Hell...you could dress up like Santa,
and dress them all in little elf suits, and string silver garland between the blue kiddie cars and you'd be the hit of the damn Christmas parade.

View Quote

Did you just call me fat?

TRG
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 11:23:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 11:32:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

HO Ho Ho.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell...you could dress up like Santa,
and dress them all in little elf suits, and string silver garland between the blue kiddie cars and you'd be the hit of the damn Christmas parade.

Did you just call me fat?

TRG

HO Ho Ho.

And a slut?

Dayumn.

Be honest, who told you about that campout?

TRG
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 11:43:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
And a slut?

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
And a slut?

TRG

Quoted:
Please keep language appropriate as this is not General Discussion-Aimless

Link Posted: 7/16/2015 11:46:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And a slut?

TRG

Quoted:
Please keep language appropriate as this is not General Discussion-Aimless

Hush.

TRG
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 12:24:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 12:33:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Dude!  You callin youself that? I didn't know.
View Quote

Be quiet, woman.

Men are talking.

TRG
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 12:34:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 12:38:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Dude...You wasn't wrong insinuating him fat and a ho.
View Quote

*snicker*

TRG
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 12:40:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 12:42:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 12:43:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 1:06:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 1:12:35 AM EDT
[#44]
You had me at lots of nude pics and there are none... What a ripoff.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 7:48:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

...Still a power issue.  I can get full power from the carb if I open the 'load' needle.  Hell, if I barely crack it open the tractor idles strong, too strong.  If I go anywhere near the recommended turn-and-a-half-open the tractor is howling at idle.

The idle adjustment seems to do nothing.  I can hear some drop in RPMs when I tighten it, but, nothing compared to the load needle.  I have looked at the schematics and I don't see any other adjustments on the carb.

I ran it for two hours today to try and break loose whatever internal hole/jet might be clogged.  Berryman's B12 in the fuel.

There was some trash in the fuel filter and the flow is steady when the tractor is running with the load jet opened (fast).

With the new plugs, points cleaned, rotor cleaned ... it still seems to have a slight 'miss' to me.  

TRG
View Quote

Are your plugs, wires, and coil correct? These things can run poorly if you have new high-resistance carbon wires on an ignition designed with old low-resistance copper conductors in mind. Carbon core wires will run 1k Ohm or more per foot of wire (sometimes a lot more) whereas copper core wires should read zero Ohms on a cheap meter. Ditto the plugs-- make sure they are the same spec as the originals: gap, thread depth, heat range, electrode material, etc.

How is your power loss presenting? Drop in engine speed under load? See if you can find a good FSM for your tractor and use it to check your governor. It could be out of adjustment or binding.  

Good luck!
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 10:04:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
You had me at lots of nude pics and there are none... What a ripoff.
View Quote

They are on the next page.

TRG
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 10:09:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Are your plugs, wires, and coil correct? These things can run poorly if you have new high-resistance carbon wires on an ignition designed with old low-resistance copper conductors in mind. Carbon core wires will run 1k Ohm or more per foot of wire (sometimes a lot more) whereas copper core wires should read zero Ohms on a cheap meter. Ditto the plugs-- make sure they are the same spec as the originals: gap, thread depth, heat range, electrode material, etc.

How is your power loss presenting? Drop in engine speed under load? See if you can find a good FSM for your tractor and use it to check your governor. It could be out of adjustment or binding.  

Good luck!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

...Still a power issue.  I can get full power from the carb if I open the 'load' needle.  Hell, if I barely crack it open the tractor idles strong, too strong.  If I go anywhere near the recommended turn-and-a-half-open the tractor is howling at idle.

TRG

Good luck!

Same plugs and wires that were working fine pre-neglect.  Although I did put in new plugs, they are the same make/model of plug.  Tractor was having the same issue with idle/power with original wires.

Wires are replacements, but, I still have the originals if needed for testing. I will put them back on and see if anything changes.

What happens is this:

I crack open the 'load' needle on the tractor and the engine fires up.  Doesn't run 100% smooth, but, presents a slight miss.  If I then move the throttle from idle to full the tractor will die/stall/fumble.

From what I've read via Google ... probably is an issue in the governor, but, the lack of smooth idle points to a carb/fuel issue as well.  Manually moving the throttle (at the carb by hand) still causes the tractor to lug/stall/fumble.

I need to get the PDF printed out and take my time rebuilding it.  There might be a needle/valve/air channel that I am not seeing to clean.

TRG
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 10:39:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I crack open the 'load' needle on the tractor and the engine fires up.  Doesn't run 100% smooth, but, presents a slight miss.  If I then move the throttle from idle to full the tractor will die/stall/fumble.

From what I've read via Google ... probably is an issue in the governor, but, the lack of smooth idle points to a carb/fuel issue as well.  Manually moving the throttle (at the carb by hand) still causes the tractor to lug/stall/fumble.

I need to get the PDF printed out and take my time rebuilding it.  There might be a needle/valve/air channel that I am not seeing to clean.

TRG
View Quote

Interesting. How far out from the factory setting do you think you are on your load needle (assuming there is some initial setting like "turn it all the way in, then 1-1/2 turns out")? I think you're on the right track suspecting both the carb and governor may be at fault.

You should probably look for air leaks-- cracks in the carb body or intake, worn/loose throttle or choke pins, ratty old gaskets, etc. You could try the old trick of using a spray bottle to spray water around any area you suspect is leaking air and listen for a change in engine speed.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:39:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Interesting. How far out from the factory setting do you think you are on your load needle (assuming there is some initial setting like "turn it all the way in, then 1-1/2 turns out")? I think you're on the right track suspecting both the carb and governor may be at fault.

You should probably look for air leaks-- cracks in the carb body or intake, worn/loose throttle or choke pins, ratty old gaskets, etc. You could try the old trick of using a spray bottle to spray water around any area you suspect is leaking air and listen for a change in engine speed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

The guidance I saw online was "turn all the way in, then open 1 to 1.5 turns.  If I follow that advice that tractor is roaring (remember the fan letting go...).

Never thought about a crack in the carb,  There is the possibility that there was water in the carb over the winter and it froze.

TRG
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 12:06:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The guidance I saw online was "turn all the way in, then open 1 to 1.5 turns.  If I follow that advice that tractor is roaring (remember the fan letting go...).

View Quote

Forgive the dumb question, but were you trying that adjustment on a needle screw (fuel metering) or a throttle screw (air metering)? On the idle adjusting screw (fuel metering), adjusting between 1 and 1.5 turns should cause it to stumble at some point, then backing off (making the mix richer) should cause it to stabilize. On a throttle screw that same adjustment might open the throttle plate enough to cause the engine to over-rev and prevent the governor from regulating engine speed.

Is your carb something simple like a Zenith updraft carb?

Page / 56
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top