Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2011 11:14:29 AM EDT
this is my first year for these fruits, i have a couple questions, they have basically taken over my 20 foot wide garden lol but thats not the problem.  

some of my watermelons after this long drought turned black shriveled up and died. (i think i figured it out as basically  blossom end rot which was caused from 20 plus days of no water)  but i have one that has these little cuts on it and it looks like its bleeding a crimson red fluid out of the cuts.  not big cuts or lots of it coming out but enough.  it's just on one of them for now but i'm wondering should i just pull it so if they are bugs or whatever they don't spread?

next i'm curious my cantaloupes appear to be getting something on the underside of them. i'll take pictured tomorrow for everyone to see but i'm trying to figure out if its a fungus that i need to spray with some daconil or something.  

here is a pictures of my set up

farm fresh potato's and onions and fresh eggs
http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu91/gruntsoldier/DSCN0075.jpg

yummy
http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu91/gruntsoldier/DSCN0080.jpg

this is the watermelon and cantalouple.  i read they can't cross polinate but they started over 6 foot apart but that boundry was nothing for them

http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu91/gruntsoldier/DSCN0081.jpg

watermelon

http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu91/gruntsoldier/DSCN0082.jpg

huge cabbages
http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu91/gruntsoldier/DSCN0086.jpg

peppers
http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu91/gruntsoldier/DSCN0084.jpg

pole beands

http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu91/gruntsoldier/DSCN0083.jpg
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 1:58:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn, your garden is almost bigger then my backyard!!
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 3:53:50 PM EDT
[#2]
You definitely have a green thumb! Is that collards opposite the little hot peppers? Your cabbage is beautiful.

What variety is your watermelon?

If your watermelon has something running out of it it's probably a goner. Is it possible it grew so fast it busted? I used to grow them but never had problems like yours. As good as the rest of your garden looks I'm confident you'll get a handle on it.

Do you know how to tell when your melons are ripe?
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 3:55:19 PM EDT
[#3]
very nice
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 4:03:03 PM EDT
[#4]
yeah its a pretty good size garden.  every year i extend it more and more.   next to the super chili's that is cauliflower and its doing horrible.  only like 4 of the 9 plants have heads on them.  and 2 are tiny (also my first year for them)    i want to say my watermelon is crimson sweet but i'm not positive.  i'll look tonight and see if the i can find the freaking label i put out there lol.  i'm going to take some pics and i'll update it to see if anyone knows whats wrong with my stuff.

thanks for the kind words.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 4:19:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 7:07:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like you get all the free corn from the farmer next door
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 2:18:31 PM EDT
[#7]
lol yeah i live in indiana so sweet corn is a dime a dozen here.  it's actually not worth planting in the garden just based on how cheap you can buy it.  i saw 3 different stands today and it  was like a 2 dozen ears for 3 bucks or something.

i got the picture of the stuff on the watermelon.  it has since semi dried and it literally looks just like blood lol.  kinda wild.  i'll post it up once i get home from this little get together.   also my potato plants are almost completely dead  now so i dug up 2 of them.  on those two plants i had 20 potato's (i'm stoked as this was my first year for them too and they did so well and required so little work)  granted only about 14 of them were store size but the baby ones are also delicious.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 4:10:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
this is my first year for these fruits, i have a couple questions, they have basically taken over my 20 foot wide garden lol but thats not the problem.  

some of my watermelons after this long drought turned black shriveled up and died. (i think i figured it out as basically  blossom end rot which was caused from 20 plus days of no water)  but i have one that has these little cuts on it and it looks like its bleeding a crimson red fluid out of the cuts.  not big cuts or lots of it coming out but enough.  it's just on one of them for now but i'm wondering should i just pull it so if they are bugs or whatever they don't spread?

next i'm curious my cantaloupes appear to be getting something on the underside of them. i'll take pictured tomorrow for everyone to see but i'm trying to figure out if its a fungus that i need to spray with some daconil or something.  

here is a pictures of my set up

farm fresh potato's and onions and fresh eggs
http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu91/gruntsoldier/DSCN0075.jpg

yummy
http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu91/gruntsoldier/DSCN0080.jpg

this is the watermelon and cantalouple.  i read they can't cross polinate but they started over 6 foot apart but that boundry was nothing for them

http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu91/gruntsoldier/DSCN0081.jpg

watermelon

http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu91/gruntsoldier/DSCN0082.jpg

huge cabbages
http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu91/gruntsoldier/DSCN0086.jpg

peppers
http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu91/gruntsoldier/DSCN0084.jpg

pole beands

http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu91/gruntsoldier/DSCN0083.jpg

good looking breakfast and garden
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 8:04:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
i got the picture of the stuff on the watermelon.  it has since semi dried and it literally looks just like blood lol.  kinda wild.  i'll post it up once i get home from this little get together.   also my potato plants are almost completely dead  now so i dug up 2 of them.  on those two plants i had 20 potato's (i'm stoked as this was my first year for them too and they did so well and required so little work)  granted only about 14 of them were store size but the baby ones are also delicious.

It looks like your watermelon blew up.  Too much water.  If you live up north like me it was due to all the rain we had.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 4:00:08 AM EDT
[#10]
I wish I had room for a melon patch as big as that. Evenmore reason to turn the rest of my front yard into garden.

I agree with the theory on the melon. Too much water and a lot of heat does the same thing as it does to maters. Guts grow faster than the skin has time to expand, something has to give.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 4:22:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Nice garden. Truly a labor of love!

Your califlower plants will not head this late in the season. They are a cool weather crop. Spring and Fall. About now is the time to be planting sets for the Fall crop. This is the first year that some of my Califower plants did not head. Weather related, I am sure. I pulled them in June and replanted Red Beets and Carrots in that space.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 1:54:07 PM EDT
[#12]
ok thanks everyone.  it might be that it exploded. i'll upload the pictures here in a minute.  it had small cuts that were leaking the fluid is what it looked like.  we didn't have any rain for almost 20 days and then it stormed pretty good so maybe thats what happened.  i've checked over the rest of them and there was 4 with blossom end rot and they withered and died but the rest all look good and the plant doesn't appear to have a bug or disease problem, so the to big to quick is a possibility.

ohhh and no i'm not really sure how to tell the melons are ripe or not. i heard thumping on them but they all sound semi hollow but not really lol

i didn't know that about cauliflower.  it was my first time for it as the wife wanted me to grow it too lol.  like i said i think there is 4 heads formed up now but only 2 have any size.    

with my potato's whats the best way to store them?  should i wash the dirt off or just leave them how they are put them in a paper bag in the basement or do they need to be in some type of milk crate or something else?

pics incoming :)
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 2:16:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I have pics of dust that is my garden.  Only peppers still holding on.

Kudos on your results, and kiss that Indiana soil for being so good to you.

20 days without rain?  

Last real rain here was June 1st-2nd.

TRG
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 4:29:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

20 days without rain?  

TRG

i know i feel super bad for you guys in texas and arizona areas.  i've been watching it closely just to get a gauge of how bad its going to be this year as far as food prices and stuff go. i have heard farmers are slaughtering there herds because they can't afford to feed them and there is water.  i also saw on the news about how the grasshoppers are basically like a plague down there right now and are eating all the fruits and vegetables since there is no green grass left for them.  i hope a good amount of rain makes it to your area soon sir.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 7:00:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

20 days without rain?  

TRG

i know i feel super bad for you guys in texas and arizona areas.  i've been watching it closely just to get a gauge of how bad its going to be this year as far as food prices and stuff go. i have heard farmers are slaughtering there herds because they can't afford to feed them and there is water.  i also saw on the news about how the grasshoppers are basically like a plague down there right now and are eating all the fruits and vegetables since there is no green grass left for them.  i hope a good amount of rain makes it to your area soon sir.

Some of it is just sensational reporting on the news.

It is bad, but nobody that I know is jumping off a cliff over it.

TRG
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 7:31:21 PM EDT
[#17]
well thats good to hear for sure.  the news definitely makes it out to be end game type scenario and i often don't believe them.  either way hopefully you guys get a good heavy rain soon.  this year has been crazy for us here.   my garden was super late because of the massive rains we had at the beginning of the spring and all through it.  in one day alone my little town got over 6 1/2 inches of rain in less than a day.  i have never seen it so much.  the farmers here all thought they were going to have to use the insurance.  the corn was in crazy late.  its high now but the ears are super skinny so who knows how it will turn out.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 8:06:26 AM EDT
[#18]
How do you keep those tomatoes from flopping over on to the ground?

For some reason my wife's tomatoes this year grew huge and top heavy so now they are all flopped over.

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 8:15:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
How do you keep those tomatoes from flopping over on to the ground?

For some reason my wife's tomatoes this year grew huge and top heavy so now they are all flopped over.

I let mine flop over.  They seem to re-root from the contact points and they are less prone to snapping off in a high wind.

TRG
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 10:29:55 AM EDT
[#20]
i let them grow tall like that and then as they get tomato's on them they fold over the cages and keep growing.  i've never had a problem with it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 10:39:15 AM EDT
[#21]

Does it negativly impact the fruit if it sits on the ground?

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 10:49:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Does it negativly impact the fruit if it sits on the ground?

I have not seen any pattern to disease, rot, decay on the fruit close to the ground.

TRG
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 11:00:05 AM EDT
[#23]
I wonder if there are different results up here where its a little more moist near the ground.

Oh well, its the wife's garden I just do the chickens and my own little squash and spuds patch.

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 11:34:30 AM EDT
[#24]
i try to not let the fruit sit on the ground.  i usually just use string and tie up the stems to keep them off the ground.  close is fine but i usually try to not let them sit on the dirt.  or you can get a straw bale and just pull off a good handful and put that under the tomato's.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 12:12:04 PM EDT
[#25]
It's the wife's garden, so I will pass the ideas along.  

This is why I built my 8X12 squash and spuds bed, I tried to help her last year and it didn't go so well.  So I just quietly make my own little garden and do it my way,  FWIW my squash are kicking some serious ass and i have a potato plant that it about 4 ft tall.

I think my way is better but she likes her way.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 9:39:17 PM EDT
[#26]

Nice looking garden GS!  How in the heck are you keeping it so free of weeds?

-Slice

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 10:01:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Nice looking garden GS!  How in the heck are you keeping it so free of weeds?

-Slice

lol its not easy thats for sure.  they took over my potato's and many other spots.  but i give my daughter a nickel a weed that she picks.  she is only 4 but a nickel means something to her still.  we got out every morning and both pull as many as we can.  the one saving grace was the long drought we had (i know it was nothing compared to what some folks are still going through lol)  they make the weeds super easy to pull.  my watermelon and cantaloupe patches are getting a good amount of weeds under them but i can't get in there to pick as the vine system is just to large and i don't want to kill anything on accident lol

Link Posted: 8/15/2011 7:29:32 PM EDT
[#28]
well a update i guess :)

well the garden is booming right now.  tomatoes are a plenty, banana peppers too, also bell peppers, the jalapenos have produced a few more but not a ton,  watermelon and cantaloupe 1 plant each.  i counted tonight and there is 33 cantaloupes growing and 15 watermelons.   me and the little one dug up more potatoes probably 70 or more and i still have almost a full row to go.  next year i will do them differently but i'm very happy with them for my first time.   i harvested a couple cabbages, 1 cabbages weighted 11 pounds after i cleaned it up :)

i also got the hook up on a bunch of pickling cucumbers and did 20 quarts and 7 pints of pickles.  

this has been a good year for me despite the crazy ass storms and then extreme heat and drought.  

i guess on to some pictures :)

pickles anyone :)

just a random harvest pic :)

and the potatoes

i hope everyone else's garden is doing well also :)
Link Posted: 8/16/2011 3:59:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Nice looking cabbage.

If you have enough/excess here is a recipe that Jarhead_22 gave me.  Worked great to save/reuse my extra cabbage.  It has been stored for more than three months, and still looks great.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_19/645836_First_time_garden_pictorial__56k_warning___Heck__T_1_warning__too_.html&page=8

TRG
Link Posted: 8/18/2011 6:22:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Nice looking cabbage.

If you have enough/excess here is a recipe that Jarhead_22 gave me.  Worked great to save/reuse my extra cabbage.  It has been stored for more than three months, and still looks great.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_19/645836_First_time_garden_pictorial__56k_warning___Heck__T_1_warning__too_.html&page=8

TRG

thanks I bought the stuff to make what you did, just need to do it now lol.  it looked great when you first posted it up.  hopefully this weekend i'll make it happen.
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 7:25:32 PM EDT
[#31]
nice looking garden. you think your watermelon and cantalope are spreading bad try planting pumpkins in your garden. gotta learn somehow i guess. next year all the vine plants are getting their own spot on the lawn. not in the garden. that and i need to build a fence for the cucumbers to climb
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 6:58:39 AM EDT
[#32]
lol yeah they went crazy and had tons of fruit.  the cantaloupes have been under attach by a vine borer beetle and i'm losing that battle.  i've since learned you definitely need to keep the cantaloupes up off the ground on a board or something thats not soil. i have about 20 or more and they are safe now but its a serious battle lol.  don't leave them setting on the ground they hold moisture under them and allow bugs to be in heaven.  the watermelons haven't had the same problem but i only ended up with about 14 of them off the plant.  for some reason none of the late bloomers made it.  they turned black and died which is a form of blossom end rot as far as i can tell.

either way the garden has been a huge success again this year.  still got tomatoes growing like crazy, put up 20 lbs of sauerkraut the other day, tons of pasta sauce,  tons of green beans canned and the plants have went back to producing now that its cooled off again,  peppers are finally really taking off again.  hopefully i'll be able to freeze enough until next years garden like i did last year.  

hope everyone else is having good luck and hope the folks in arizona/texas get them some rain soon
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top