Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2010 3:15:19 PM EDT
The first night 1 duck came up missing. Pile of feathers in the yard. We locked all the rest of the ducks in there pen. The next night 1 duck missing, 2 ducks tore to hell. Gizard on ground, feet and head off ducks and both were eat from there stomach up. Rib cage empty. The third night 8 chickens gone, 10 chickins tore to hell pieces all over. Found some heads, feet and wing out side of fence and 1 was part way pulled under the fence. Three of my hens were just dead and in the corner of the lot.  Any ideas?????   Have been told different animals from different people from possums, skunk, coon, to coyote. Any ideas??????????  I set 2 live traps and baited both with a dead chicken. The next morning had a young possum. The chickens smelled so bad I had to get rid of them. When I get off here I'm going out to bait both traps with sardines,  we will see what I have in the morning.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 4:03:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a coon but I'm not sure what other critters you have in IL (weasils and minks?). You need to put a fence lid on your pen. The coons and possums will climb regular fences and come in through the top.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 4:05:15 PM EDT
[#2]
do you have a lab?  that did the trick for me
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 4:11:38 PM EDT
[#3]
coon
yote would carry it away,,
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 4:13:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Have 2 black labs. Both outdoor dogs and have electric fence around house to keep them in. Chicken lot about 30 Yrd. from house, by edge of pasture.  They both sleep like logs and never woke up to the noise.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 4:18:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Have 2 black labs. Both outdoor dogs and have electric fence around house to keep them in. Chicken lot about 30 Yrd. from house, by edge of pasture.  They both sleep like logs and never woke up to the noise.

problem found !!!
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 6:02:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Chupacabra???

Someone had to say it....
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 6:11:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Chupacabra???

Someone had to say it....

Damn beat to it.

Link Posted: 7/11/2010 6:12:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Possum is one predator you're dealing with. They hollow them out from the ass end. Although the carnage isn't typical, I've heard of it being that bad.
The 10 that were tore up sound like a domestic dog to me.
A wild animal will mess a few up if they get away before eating them, but won't kill for sport.
I've had chickens get away from coons while the coon was pulling them under/through the fence. They were missing wings, eyes, ect.
I've had coons eat whatever parts he could get under the fence with the rest still in the cage.
There's more than one kind of animal at work here. Without a doubt.
Good luck. Coons like marshmallows.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 6:12:56 PM EDT
[#9]
More than likely coons and possums.  A few beers, long night and a pellet rifle or 22 will help out
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 6:19:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
More than likely coons and possums.  A few beers, long night and a pellet rifle or 22 will help out

If they're in a cage and close to house, you'll hear 'em getting attacked. Coons are real spooky and you'll play hell running up on one.
Spotlight and a scoped rifle is about the only way beside a dog or trap.

Link Posted: 7/12/2010 5:42:44 AM EDT
[#11]
I would not rule out mink as the culprit either.  They will kill them all and leave them.  But, they will be back.  I would try a tunnel trap with a conibear 110 trap set in it.  Good luck.  ETA:  I believe the possum came after the mink carnage for the easy meal.  

I have pictures of the trap set-up if you like.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 10:42:46 AM EDT
[#12]
I am surprised your dogs slept through that.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 1:25:31 PM EDT
[#13]
We had a lot of problems with ringtails in our chickens and corn. We set up a small radio on a station that usually just talks and we havent had a problem since. YMMV
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 4:04:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Well so far the only thing in the traps were 2 possums.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 4:09:47 AM EDT
[#15]
The biggest problem I have is hawks by day, and owls by night.  My chickens free-range.  Preds are the chance you take, but the owls take them out of the trees and kill them on the ground, leaving feathers and carcasses.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 3:30:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Wompuskitty. They are notorious around your parts.  And I have no pics. They have never been caught on film. But they will come up behind ya and rip yer asshole out from between your legs and you'll never know what hit ya.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 7:17:25 PM EDT
[#17]
We once lost 30 ducks in one night to a mother fox teaching her young to hunt.  They took a couple of them away, but the rest were just strewn around the dry pond.    

As someone said, wild animals don't kill for sport really, but some do kill for this reason, and it is total carnage.  We would have thought it was dogs but we caught them in the act.

kitties
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:20:58 AM EDT
[#18]
you have to fence all poultry in for dogs and coyotes.  Coons and possums will climb the fence, so - on to barrier number 2....
you have to coop all poultry in for coons and possums.  Hawks and owls will attack from above, so - on to barrier number 3...
you have to provide overhead cover from hawks and owls.  Coons, possums, foxes, will tear open your barriers, so on to barrier number 4
you have to constantly have live traps set at likely routes of travel to the poultry yard.  Trap them before they can defeat your other barriers.

edit: I have chickens/roosters, geese, ducks, turkeys in an apple orchard.
Link Posted: 8/5/2010 11:01:51 AM EDT
[#19]
I fence my geese inside a 6' tall 2x4"wire fence with 2 strands of barbed wire above that.  I was loosing a goose occasionally but I chalked it up to getting picked off by coyotes while out during the day.  2 nights ago, something got into the pen and killed 5 full grown geese.  It ate a little bit of a couple but the other 3 were just killed. The weird part was that 4 of them were in a pile near the back of the pen.  I set my large live trap the next night with a goose carcas for bait and caught a 25# female bobcat. (weighed)  I have had problems with bobcats before, but have never seen a display of sport killing like this.  There are a lot of cats in my area, but they only find thier way into my pen every 3-5 years.  I am usually a live and let live kind of guy, but the last time the cats moved in, I trapped 4 in 2 weeks.  The first one was a 37# tom and he was one PISSED off kitty when I went up to wish him luck in the afterlife.  We put a lot of time and money and sweat into our animals, and I hate to lose them to predators.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top