Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 1:36:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Holy shit, no; I did not know about that book; I will have to check it out!

I've been pretty busy lately, not much time at all to do this stuff, but my father made some prosciutto, cappacuollo and pancetta lately...I'll have to take some pics for you guys when I get a chance...

This thread is always in the back of my mind,  along with my bacon one, and always nice to see others enjoying it as well...will update as I can...

Link Posted: 10/4/2013 2:07:57 PM EDT
[#2]
No archive? Is this going to the thread or to the Mod?

ETA: Awesome. I wonder if Scrap has any updates or interesting meat projects underway now.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Darn right! I find it positively inspiring!

I marked the thread "no archive", BTW.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyway, that looks like some mighty fine sausage and you should be very proud!

Darn right! I find it positively inspiring!

I marked the thread "no archive", BTW.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/5/2013 11:11:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Hi, thanks!  I was doing a lot of smoking this past year, experimenting with diff amounts of nitrates, salt, and seasonings, but didn't post much about it, if at all.  I keep saying I an going to, but have been slacking...sorry!  Will see if I can dug up some info and pics...
Link Posted: 10/6/2013 12:14:05 PM EDT
[#4]
The username change thing keeps throwing me off-balance.
And it was 3+ years ago.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 4:54:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Getting close to making up a batch of soppressatta - Calabrese style. I am going to ferment them just how i saw it done. No starter cultures...I guess if i don't come back you know what happened. Problem is my basement is only 50% humidity so i may need to setup a humidifer. I am not going to use a chamber at all. Grind, press, stuff, dry and hang.  May need a section to contain the humidity however. The italian family i saw make it did not even worry about humidity. Maybe i shouldnt either.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 2:30:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Lots of people make it with the most basic of ingredients & equipment for decades (no sodium nitrite, fermenting bacteria, no humidifiers, no meters, etc), and are just fine.  Heck, probably even more healthy than most of us!

All the best on your project; please keep us updated & post pics!
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 11:59:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Hog middles have been cleaned. (what a pain). Pork has been cubed. Need to get the spices and grind it up.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:57:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hog middles have been cleaned. (what a pain). Pork has been cubed. Need to get the spices and grind it up.
View Quote

How did it go?!
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 12:29:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the thread, this year I'm canning meats for the first time.

By next year hopefully a bunch of smoking and dehydrating.

BUT this is really what I want to learn to do. Traditional meat curing.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 5:49:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing(Revised and Updated) 2003 edition for $21.75 on amazon prime right now.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:39:37 PM EDT
[#11]
After seeing this thread revived, rereading it, and drooling the whole time, I need to thank the OP for it. It inspired me to make some bacon last year. I only did 4 bellies, and they didn't last long. My endeavors weren't really worthy of a thread, so just an "I done it".

I was wondering what you did with the fridge. Did you find a different way to keep it cool and humidity higher for longer? I was wondering whether you could put it in a plastic storage box to trap humidity. That may be harder to control the temps inside the box. Maybe metal for better heat conductivity? My 26qt stainless brew pot would have a fair amount of space to hang sausage and still be able to put the lid on.

sgt_seti
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:38:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Has anyone tried the Umai bags that the Sausage Maker sells.  The are vacuum bags that have a protein coating the inside that really sticks to the meat.  The bags are permeable and allow the product to dry in the fridge.  They're a little expensive but work pretty well, I used one to make pancetta from 1/2 a belly came out very good.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:03:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Has anyone tried the Umai bags that the Sausage Maker sells.  The are vacuum bags that have a protein coating the inside that really sticks to the meat.  The bags are permeable and allow the product to dry in the fridge.  They're a little expensive but work pretty well, I used one to make pancetta from 1/2 a belly came out very good.
View Quote

I have seen those and want to give it a shot.  Will be a while though. I have winter stuff going on first.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 3:09:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
After seeing this thread revived, rereading it, and drooling the whole time, I need to thank the OP for it. It inspired me to make some bacon last year. I only did 4 bellies, and they didn't last long. My endeavors weren't really worthy of a thread, so just an "I done it".

I was wondering what you did with the fridge. Did you find a different way to keep it cool and humidity higher for longer? I was wondering whether you could put it in a plastic storage box to trap humidity. That may be harder to control the temps inside the box. Maybe metal for better heat conductivity? My 26qt stainless brew pot would have a fair amount of space to hang sausage and still be able to put the lid on.

sgt_seti
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

sgt_seti

That's great to hear

I haven't tried it again since then; 2 newborns have kept me really busy...

But I'd be cautious of sealing them in a plastic bag, because that seems like it would trap the humidity in there, and not allow them to slowly dry...unless maybe you air it out daily?

Quoted:

That sounds really promising, though!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top