Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 2:12:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ridinshotgun] [#1]
My weapons of war are gathered and the generals are meeting!

And the first battle is done!
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 10:45:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Cracked open my first jar today from the batch I made a little over a month ago. These pickles are SO GOOD. So much more flavor than your typical "store bought" pickles.        

First thing I've ever canned, and first thing I've ever really made using something I grew myself. Thanks BozemanMT for sharing the recipe!

Link Posted: 8/4/2016 10:48:05 PM EDT
[#3]
My wife and mother just cracked open a jar we made 3 weeks ago. They really liked them. Said they have a unique taste and were very good. Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 3:03:17 PM EDT
[#4]
One thing I've wondered, and I don't remember if it's been covered in all 15 pages of this thread already. The pickles I made don't seem as "crisp" as store bought pickles. Granted, in that regard I'm somewhat used to Claussens which aren't heated, so I knew homemade ones weren't going to turn out like that. But is there any secret to keep homemade pickles from getting soft? Or is that just the way they are? I've seen references to a product called "Pickle Crisp", does it work?

It's been 15 years or more since I've had any of my Grandma's homemade pickles so my memory is a little fuzzy as to how "crisp" those were.

One of these days I also plan to try a "Claussen copycat" recipe like the ones I linked below, but I just don't have the fridge space to make more than a couple jars of those at a time since they have to be kept refrigerated.

http://www.foodiewithfamily.com/homemade-claussen-knock-off-pickles/

Link Posted: 8/7/2016 7:29:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Grove:

When you push on the button on top of the lid does it pop back up or is it already down?  If it pops back up they aren't sealed.  

I made 14 jars yesterday and unfortunately only about half of them sealed.  It is very important to keep the jars and the brine hot because if you are packing lots of cucs, peppers, and garlic in the jars they will cool the brine very quickly. I was over confident in how many I could fill and put lids on at a time.  The jars cooling on my granite counters and that fact that my cucumbers had been refrigerated is what I blame on my failure.  Oh well I put those in the fridge and will eat them first.  

A couple tips would be to only take one jar out of the boiling water at a time and to have room temperature ingredients.  

Grove
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By THOR3232:
Ok I made some last night, after reading this thread over and over for the last year. I never heard anything pop but I did everything exactly the way it says. I did the teaspoon test where you tap the lids and if it rings there sealed and if it thumps they didnt seal, all mine were ringing so who knows. How would you know for sure if they sealed?

My jars were submerged and boiling, my lids boiling my brine near boiling, left 1/2 to 1/4 of space, turned upside down.

When you push on the button on top of the lid does it pop back up or is it already down?  If it pops back up they aren't sealed.  

I made 14 jars yesterday and unfortunately only about half of them sealed.  It is very important to keep the jars and the brine hot because if you are packing lots of cucs, peppers, and garlic in the jars they will cool the brine very quickly. I was over confident in how many I could fill and put lids on at a time.  The jars cooling on my granite counters and that fact that my cucumbers had been refrigerated is what I blame on my failure.  Oh well I put those in the fridge and will eat them first.  

A couple tips would be to only take one jar out of the boiling water at a time and to have room temperature ingredients.  

Grove

None of the lids will pop or click, their all concave which is a good sign. I did use some refrigerator cukes so from now on they will be room temperature. I did do one at a time so hopefully im ok. Is there a way to tell or test for Botulism?
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 10:45:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I have been making these pickles for about 6-7 years and they are the best. Before using this recipe I used the Mrs. Wages package mix.

I would use the mix with cauliflower , carrots and hot pepper, it came out great and didn`t kill me. I am wondering if anybody did this with this recipe?
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 10:47:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Ohiomadman57:
I have been making these pickles for about 6-7 years and they are the best. Before using this recipe I used the Mrs. Wages package mix.

I would use the mix with cauliflower , carrots and hot pepper, it came out great and didn`t kill me. I am wondering if anybody did this with this recipe?
View Quote

I just made some with banana peppers, no dill.  We shall see how they come out.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 10:54:02 AM EDT
[#8]

None of the lids will pop or click, their all concave which is a good sign. I did use some refrigerator cukes so from now on they will be room temperature. I did do one at a time so hopefully im ok. Is there a way to tell or test for Botulism?
View All Quotes
Ok I made some last night, after reading this thread over and over for the last year. I never heard anything pop but I did everything exactly the way it says. I did the teaspoon test where you tap the lids and if it rings there sealed and if it thumps they didnt seal, all mine were ringing so who knows. How would you know for sure if they sealed?

My jars were submerged and boiling, my lids boiling my brine near boiling, left 1/2 to 1/4 of space, turned upside down.

Grove

No test for botulism that you can do.  Read here at the CDC Botulism
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 2:38:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By ridinshotgun:

View All Quotes

Grove

I did everything right even had the brine boiling not just hot but never heard anyone of my 10 jars pop but everything else looks good. Does everyone here notice lids pop and if they dont but the button is in and the lid is concave do you still trust them?
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 3:47:08 PM EDT
[#10]

I did everything right even had the brine boiling not just hot but never heard anyone of my 10 jars pop but everything else looks good. Does everyone here notice lids pop and if they dont but the button is in and the lid is concave do you still trust them?
View All Quotes

Grove

These aren't a hard can where you typically hear a loud pop. Somtimes I hear them pop other times not. If the lid is depressed and it doesn't push in you should be fine. Just toss anything that exhibits the symptoms as explained in the link. Whether canned like this or normally with a water bath or pressure canner.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:59:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Opened up a second jar today that I had put up on July 4th. I decided to make round slices (approximating the "hamburger dill chips" that you can get at the store). These came out awesome....crispy and flavorful. Even more flavor than the spears I had made before. I'm wondering if that's because the slices have more surface area for the brine to penetrate?
So if you haven't tried making your own dill chips, go for it. Gonna have to try these on backyard grilled burgers soon.

Got another jar in the pantry of spears with jalapeno....waiting to open those because I'm the only one in the house who will eat them so once opened, they're probably gonna be in the fridge a LONG time

Link Posted: 11/14/2016 11:17:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 10:25:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 10:54:03 PM EDT
[#14]
CRUNCH!
Good Bump!
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:27:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Best Damn pickles ever!
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:29:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:20:00 AM EDT
[#17]
OK anybody reading.  My first batch were PERFECT

Two summers ago.  

I made a bigger batch to get me through winter last summer and they are complete mush.  I didn't change anything. What did I do wrong?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:00:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:04:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:
Anybody out there doing pickles?

No responses in this thread, and it's high summer.  

Can't keep it out of archives forever.
View Quote
Not everybodys cukes are on yet.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:53:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 7:46:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Well I just made some up had some cukes ready and needed to do something with them. I also made a quart and 2 pints of green beans with the same brine.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 1:10:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 6:29:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Still lovin these Bozeman dill pickles! We've put up 40 or so quarts already and are starting to give cukes away.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 6:31:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By gotuonpaper:

Two summers ago.  

I made a bigger batch to get me through winter last summer and they are complete mush.  I didn't change anything. What did I do wrong?
View Quote
We've learned to NEVER do spears and ALWAYS use pickle-crisp.

CRUNCH!
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 3:28:43 PM EDT
[#25]
I just used the recipe posted here. The green beans were ok. Not as good as the pickles. I made some dilly beans using ms wages mix last night. Wife likes them better.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 7:59:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Is there a particular species you all have had more success with vs others?
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 8:32:09 PM EDT
[#27]
I love this place... I just started pickling last year, and was googling some various recipes, and low and behold a link back to good old arfcom... I have a killer dilli bean recipe I came up with last season.. They were a huge hit, and I decided to try making pickles with the same ingredients... Ill report back in a week or so when they are ready.. My garden is producing about 2 walmart bags per week of green beans, and 3 of pickling cucumbers, so I have been busy, that and with my 12 eggs a day my chickens are laying I have dozens upon dozens of jars put up already.... Nothing beats coming back in from a cold deer hunt, or a day of ice fishing and sitting by the wood stove and opening a fresh jar something pickled...
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 8:41:29 PM EDT
[#28]
The good old days of deer camp with fresh homemade pickled eggs, deer jerky, and anything we could find in jars in grandmas cellar.  

Smelly but tasty.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 4:00:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -FiveFiveSIx-] [#29]
The good old days of deer camp with fresh homemade pickled eggs, deer jerky, and anything we could find in jars in grandmas cellar.  

Smelly but tasty.
View Quote
Believe it or not, I soak my venison strips in my dilli bean brine for a few days before I make jerky out of it ( once the beans are all eating up of course) adds a whole bunch of flavor, and well as helps tenderize the meat a bit..
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 4:11:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By -FiveFiveSIx-:
I love this place... I just started pickling last year, and was googling some various recipes, and low and behold a link back to good old arfcom... I have a killer dilli bean recipe I came up with last season.. They were a huge hit, and I decided to try making pickles with the same ingredients... Ill report back in a week or so when they are ready.. My garden is producing about 2 walmart bags per week of green beans, and 3 of pickling cucumbers, so I have been busy, that and with my 12 eggs a day my chickens are laying I have dozens upon dozens of jars put up already.... Nothing beats coming back in from a cold deer hunt, or a day of ice fishing and sitting by the wood stove and opening a fresh jar something pickled...
View Quote
How many cucumber plants does it take you to produce that much harvest?
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 4:25:36 PM EDT
[#31]

Two summers ago.  

View Quote
When we have mushy pickles, I usually attribute it to too much heat for too long.  I haven't tried this one yet though, so I'm just commenting in general.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:45:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Carlhwv:
How many cucumber plants does it take you to produce that much harvest?
View Quote
I have 30 pickling cucumber plants, and 15 regular... I didnt plan my garden properly, and well the cucumbers have taken over everything lol...
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:56:25 PM EDT
[#33]
That happened to me the first time I planted cucumbers....:)
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 5:42:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Reading some of the recent posts, some of you need to go back and read Bozemans original post. Don't over think it. It works and no issues with botulism or other crap if you follow what is said. Like was said, the high salt and acidity of the vinegar kill anything.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 9:46:48 PM EDT
[#35]
I am sure my cukes were my issue. Not heat.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 9:39:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Well I think I was right either some jars didn't get canned right or the I had some bad cukes.  I have slowly went through and some are crisp and delicious and some are complete mush.  Just destroy and move on.  I eat the crisp and throw out the rest.

Just opened a jar with a half habanero in them.  Damn they are tasty and hot.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 3:52:20 PM EDT
[#37]
It's Almost Pickle Time !!!!
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 9:43:54 PM EDT
[#38]
I am going to use this recipe for some Green tomatoes too.
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 5:38:22 AM EDT
[#39]
I put up 13 quarts this year. This recipe has become a tradition and my friends start hounding me in June for a jar.
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 11:41:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 11:09:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Just tried "the recipe".  Thanks for the help!
Can't wait for these to be ready.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 10:09:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By jake23l:
Just tried "the recipe".  Thanks for the help!
Can't wait for these to be ready.
View Quote
They’re worth the wait.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 10:56:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Made these last year and they were great! Still waiting on cukes as we had a late start to the garden this year.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 9:44:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Just did my first 10 jars of canning anything ever.  Hopefully all went well.  I grew the cucumbers, dill, and garlic.  My peppers weren't ready yet.  I'll have to dehydrate them this year for next year.

I'll let you know in 3 weeks!
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 9:36:55 AM EDT
[#45]
I crunched down a quart in about three days the other day.

They had a half of a habanero in the jar.  

Delicious
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 9:49:03 PM EDT
[#46]
I tried my first batch, they are awesome.

Made a few more tonight and I'm trying the same brine and method with jalepenos.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 3:24:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Ahh the pickle thread.... Made about 20 jars thus far this year... Dogs destroyed my garden, so my Im not producing like I should.. And yes its fenced in, who would have thought german shepherds can jump so high?
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 6:20:38 PM EDT
[#48]
I've eaten six quarts by myself so far this year.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 7:22:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Blaculo:
I've eaten six quarts by myself so far this year.
View Quote
Pfft rookie...
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 8:30:01 PM EDT
[#50]

Pfft rookie...
View Quote
Still got another ten in the fridge.  
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top