BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 11:09:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gotuonpaper:

It will also work very well with green tomatoes.
View Quote

I still have a couple gallons of mixed Green tomatoes, onions and carrots from last year.

my favorite mix is course cut green tomatoes and onions with  grated hot and sweet peppers, minced garlic and corn cut from the cob for air pocket filler. It is a great relish for burgers and sausages.

Link Posted: 8/7/2021 12:18:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I have question:

We made one jar of pickles a couple of weeks ago.

Cukes from my garden and dill from my garden.  A spur of the moment thing, we just threw together what we had.

They were excellent

Except that you had to scrape off the dill when you fished a pickle from the jar

Can you infuse the vinegar before adding to the jar?

Maybe bundle the dill in cheese cloth?

You never see dill in commercial pickles

Link Posted: 8/7/2021 11:05:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Avidrook:
I have question:

Cukes from my garden and dill from my garden.  A spur of the moment thing, we just threw together what we had.

They were excellent

Except that you had to scrape off the dill when you fished a pickle from the jar

View Quote

Ground dill is not the way.

use whole fresh dill blooms or fronds. or dill seed.
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 10:47:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By waterglass:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Avidrook:
I have question:

They were excellent

We used whole dried dill fronds from my garden

Link Posted: 8/8/2021 12:36:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Winn:

Another newb question ...

Since heat rises, why "turn the jars upside down for a while so that the lids stay hot." ?

Seems like they should stay right side up if the intent is to keep the lids hot.

What am I missing here

View Quote

It may be helpful for your understanding of how things work, to note that heat itself doesn't actually rise.

Hot gases which have expanded will rise relative to cooler surrounding gases.  

In this case, the lid is losing heat to the outside environment, and the hot air below it has little thermal mass, so it quickly cools off and then acts as an insulator from the hotter liquid in the jar.    If the jars are turned upside down, the hot liquid with a relatively very large thermal mass will be in direct contact, and will heat the lid to roughly the same temperature as the liquid.

The goal is to insure the inside of the lid, which would otherwise cool off the fastest, is sterilized.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 3:36:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gotuonpaper] [#6]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

Ohhhhh!  Ours is relatively sweet.  It's a sweet relish.

This is interesting.  I bet somebody could do a book about Green Tomato Ketchup and all of its iterations, and its origins.

M

View Quote

@Kitties-with-Sigs @Giltweasel

Sorry I never got this posted. Probably going to make ano her batch next week and reminded me.

Link Posted: 8/25/2021 9:47:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By gotuonpaper:

@Kitties-with-Sigs @Giltweasel

Sorry I never got this posted. Probably going to make ano her batch next week and reminded me.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/289413/B586E4A1-87DF-479D-A91F-3D12FA97CD03-2059744.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/289413/C80E9E26-3C71-4F75-AAEF-ABF2646DC191-2059741.jpg
View Quote

Thank you

@gotuonpaper
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 10:57:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Thank you

@gotuonpaper
View Quote

You're welcome. WE have a new batch fermenting right now.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 1:50:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: a_number_1] [#9]
Been makin these since almost the start of the thread.

Over years they've all been as expected, some things I learned.

Fresh grown dill at picklin time is the best, store bought stuff at the wrong time of year is kinda boring.

About 5 years ago, I made a bunch of jars and purposely put em in my basement beer fridge when they cooled. Cucumbers, carrots, and cauliflower.  The cauliflower ain't exactly BAD, it's just wierd, and I Haven't done it since.  I ate a couple jars a year like a salty munchy with some beers, and I'm down to the last two now.  I ain't dead, and they still look, taste, and crunch just like they always have.  To be clear, once they initially cooled, these have been refrigerated for about 5 years.

ETA:  I just ate about half a jar while I browsed the forum and typed this.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:24:07 PM EDT
[#10]
We finally ran out of last year's batch (I'd guess about 40 jars of varying sizes). It was my first time canning/pickling anything and they were a huge hit.

They were a tad salty. I think it's covered here, and I'll reread the thread, but any issue dropping the salt content by 25% or so?

Looking forward to doubling production this year.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 8:43:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Lattimer:
We finally ran out of last year's batch (I'd guess about 40 jars of varying sizes). It was my first time canning/pickling anything and they were a huge hit.

They were a tad salty. I think it's covered here, and I'll reread the thread, but any issue dropping the salt content by 25% or so?

Looking forward to doubling production this year.
View Quote

I attempted to make a batch of these last year and they were so obscenely salty that I threw every bit of them away.  I'm not really sure how I could have screwed them up so badly but they weren't even a little bit edible.  Not gonna lie, I was really looking forward to them being awesome, so I think I'll try again soon.

Having said that, does anyone do sweet pickles?  I'm a keto-tard but would really like to attempt a batch of sugar free sweet pickles and relish.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 11:30:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By dlshady:

I attempted to make a batch of these last year and they were so obscenely salty that I threw every bit of them away.  I'm not really sure how I could have screwed them up so badly but they weren't even a little bit edible.  Not gonna lie, I was really looking forward to them being awesome, so I think I'll try again soon.

Having said that, does anyone do sweet pickles?  I'm a keto-tard but would really like to attempt a batch of sugar free sweet pickles and relish.
View Quote

@dlshady

I got a family heirloom sweet relish recipe that will rock your world made out of green tomatoes there is nothing like it. I'll dig it up and eta it in
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 11:50:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Iowaredneck:

@dlshady

I got a family heirloom sweet relish recipe that will rock your world made out of green tomatoes there is nothing like it. I'll dig it up and eta it in
View All Quotes

@dlshady

I'd love to check it out, thanks!
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:34:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Iowaredneck] [#14]

View Quote

@dlshady

20 green tomatoes
8 medium onions
8 large apples cored but unpeeled
3 green bell peppers
3 red bell peppers

Grind all above put in large stock pot add

2T salt
1T celery seed
1T mustard seed
1T turmeric
5c sugar
3c vinegar

Simmer for 45 min seal in hot jars

Definitely not sugar free(just saw that) but it's an amazing and unique recipe
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 8:59:40 AM EDT
[#15]

@dlshady

20 green tomatoes
8 medium onions
3 green bell peppers
3 red bell peppers

2T salt
1T celery seed
1T mustard seed
1T turmeric
5c sugar
3c vinegar

View All Quotes

@dlshady

20 green tomatoes
8 medium onions
3 green bell peppers
3 red bell peppers

2T salt
1T celery seed
1T mustard seed
1T turmeric
5c sugar
3c vinegar

Looks interesting.  I might play with it in small batches and see if I can come up with a sugar free version over the next few weeks.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 2:26:57 PM EDT
[#16]

@dlshady

20 green tomatoes
8 medium onions
3 green bell peppers
3 red bell peppers

2T salt
1T celery seed
1T mustard seed
1T turmeric
5c sugar
3c vinegar

View Quote

Do you water bath to seal in hot jars?  If so how long.  

If not is it similar to this pickle recipe?  
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 9:15:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By bwdilli:

Do you water bath to seal in hot jars?  If so how long.  

If not is it similar to this pickle recipe?  
View Quote

Pack hot into hot jars I never waterbath
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 7:35:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Anyone have a good sweet relish recipe?

We've got a ton of lemon cucumbers we need to do something with.

We've already made BozemnaMT pickle recipe and waiting on those to sit for a month or so to get good, now we're going to do the same thing but hamburger chips.

Not sure what to do with the other 20 or so pounds we have left.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 8:26:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Lost this thread earlier this summer but at least I had screen shot the recipie.  

Made about 3 dozen pts this year.  We didn't have home grown dill fronds so we used ground but still delicious.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 5:17:25 PM EDT
[#20]

@dlshady

20 green tomatoes
8 medium onions
3 green bell peppers
3 red bell peppers

2T salt
1T celery seed
1T mustard seed
1T turmeric
5c sugar
3c vinegar

View All Quotes

@dlshady

20 green tomatoes
8 medium onions
3 green bell peppers
3 red bell peppers

2T salt
1T celery seed
1T mustard seed
1T turmeric
5c sugar
3c vinegar

I make the same but also add cinnamon, clove, ginger and omit the apple and use a cup of raisins instead.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 9:11:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Wyominer:

I make the same but also add cinnamon, clove, ginger and omit the apple and use a cup of raisins instead.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Wyominer:

@dlshady

20 green tomatoes
8 medium onions
3 green bell peppers
3 red bell peppers

2T salt
1T celery seed
1T mustard seed
1T turmeric
5c sugar
3c vinegar

The apple is a huge part of it
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 8:13:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 4:28:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 57plymouth] [#23]
Digging this up from the past.

I made a batch of these pickles today.  I like my pickles in slices, so that's how I made them.  Fingers crossed.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 9:02:17 AM EDT
[#24]
I made up 21 quarts of pickles from my plants and some cucumbers someone was giving away on the side of the road.

I forgot to grow any dill so it was a struggle finding any of that and now I'm out of kosher/pickling salt and can't find any at the moment or I'd still be pickling. Also it was impossible to find any red chilis but I used a few different peppers and some dried chilis I had so I have a few jars to try out and see how they taste.

Next year I'll grow more cucumbers, some dill and my own red chilis and stock up on salt in the winter. But the pickles came out tasting good and if I can find any salt here soon I think I'll pickle some green tomatoes.

Link Posted: 8/13/2023 4:16:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Just got done canning some with Bozeman’s recipe (mostly).

We had a lot of cucumbers from the garden but they’re regular cucumbers and not the smaller kind for pickling. I cut most of them in round chunks but wasn’t able to fit many in a jar. We’ll see how they turn out. I strayed a bit from the recipe by using some banana peppers and black peppercorn to spice it. My kids don’t like hot stuff so this might be a good compromise.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 3:14:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By drucifer:

3 weeks is a long time to have to wait for "homegrown" pickles, but I will be patient.
View Quote

Try Canadian bacon...3 week brine, then smoke and slice, I did a thread years ago
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 9:25:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Following this thread for years.  Used Bozeman's recipe for our first pickle attempt.   Used the wrong measure for the red pepper flakes and put way too much in our pickles.  However they are awesome!  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 7:37:13 PM EDT
[#28]
These are pretty tasty. Crushed one of the small jars in about 10 minutes. The pickled banana peppers are really good - next year I might try a jar of just those. There is a lot of variance in crispiness of the pickles which I think comes from the fact that most cucumbers had been on our counter for a few days and were already getting soft when I cut them.

Next year I’ll try to grow some more appropriate cucumbers for pickling. Also, will probably try some different things in different jars and label the lids so I can experiment a little. The banana peppers gave a little spice (which is the upper limit of what the kids can handle) but I’d like something with more punch.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 10:29:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By JKnight:
These are pretty tasty. Crushed one of the small jars in about 10 minutes. The pickled banana peppers are really good - next year I might try a jar of just those. There is a lot of variance in crispiness of the pickles which I think comes from the fact that most cucumbers had been on our counter for a few days and were already getting soft when I cut them.

Next year I’ll try to grow some more appropriate cucumbers for pickling. Also, will probably try some different things in different jars and label the lids so I can experiment a little. The banana peppers gave a little spice (which is the upper limit of what the kids can handle) but I’d like something with more punch.
View Quote

Jalapenos work great in them and have even used habaneros.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 3:05:35 PM EDT
[#30]
I read through the whole thread but I still may have missed it.  About how many quart jars will BozemanMT's receipe make?  

This my first time attempting this so when other flavors are added:
peppercorns,
pepper flakes,
hot peppers,
dill,
garlic,
??????

about how much of each per quart [I get some may want it hotter or milder or not included, I'm just asking for an average 'middle of the road' amount] thanks
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 7:15:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JKnight] [#31]
Originally Posted By Deuskid:
I read through the whole thread but I still may have missed it.  About how many quart jars will BozemanMT's receipe make?  

This my first time attempting this so when other flavors are added:
peppercorns,
pepper flakes,
hot peppers,
dill,
garlic,
??????

about how much of each per quart [I get some may want it hotter or milder or not included, I'm just asking for an average 'middle of the road' amount] thanks
View Quote

I got 7 quarts. But I chose poorly in how I cut my large cucumbers. I had a lot of voids that needed to be filled by the juice.

I did 4-6 peppercorns per jar with 1 piece of fresh dill, 1 garlic clove, and a chunk of banana pepper. You can see some dill and banana pepper in my photo above in some of the jars.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 12:05:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By JKnight:

I got 7 quarts. But I chose poorly in how I cut my large cucumbers. I had a lot of voids that needed to be filled by the juice.

I did 4-6 peppercorns per jar with 1 piece of fresh dill, 1 garlic clove, and a chunk of banana pepper. You can see some dill and banana pepper in my photo above in some of the jars.
View Quote

@JKnight Thanks....

Page / 11
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top