Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 3:29:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pyro6988] [#1]
Mine didn't seem quite as crunchy either.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 6:28:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Iowaredneck] [#2]
We made a ton. About the only thing besides okra that did good this year. Got some 1/2 gallon jars from Ace and they really turned out good.

Thanks for the recipe

ETA used the same recipe with some okra HUGE WIN
Link Posted: 2/23/2011 11:51:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I am so gonna try this recipe soon.

I lurv me some pickles!
Link Posted: 4/21/2011 10:27:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Blaculo] [#4]
It is that time of year again.  Just came home from the farmer's market with a few bags of pickling cucumbers and some hot peppers.  
11.5 quarts of pickles later....  All have garlic, dill, black peppercorns and crushed red pepper flakes.  A few jars had a habanero or red chile added.  
Also did one quart of pickled red chiles and two pints of pepper vinegar.

Link Posted: 4/21/2011 11:03:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By pyro6988:

I like them better that way. Aged to perfection!
Link Posted: 5/17/2011 4:43:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kmmuellr] [#6]
So yesterday I went to the basement and grabbed one of my last quart jars.  This one was dill and jalepeno.  OMG!!  They've got to be the best pickles I've ever had!!!!

I think I used two jalepeno's, split with seeds left in.  Not hot at all, just a bit of spice.

They're awesome!!

K
Link Posted: 5/17/2011 6:36:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DDoleiden] [#7]
Can't wait to try this. I started a SFG with all heirloom varieties, gonna try pickling Early Green Cluster cucumbers and Hinkelhatz peppers with homegrown dill. Thanks for the recipe Bozeman
Link Posted: 5/17/2011 8:41:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Iowaredneck] [#8]
We started our own dill patch this year but the weather has been crazy record high last week record low this week cant wait to make a batch.
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 12:19:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By pyro6988:

How can you keep these crunchy? I like them crunchy, and the wife won't eat them if they aren't.

Link Posted: 5/22/2011 10:22:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Gopher:
My Granny made sun pickles that were outstanding.  Wash the jars and place a grape leaf, pod of garlic, fresh dill or dill seeds,and a cayenne pepper in the bottom and add the cucumbers and enough brine/salt mixture to cover it all. She would then put them upside down in the sun for 10 days, turning them over each day.

The grape leaf was key as the pickles would be soggy without them.

That's interesting, are they still canned or are they fermented pickles? I'll have to read up about using grape leaves, I have a pinot noir vine that's very vigorous this year.
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 1:52:12 PM EDT
[#11]
been wanting to try this since I saw it last year. got about 10lbs of pickling cucumbers and its going to happen tonight.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 11:12:08 AM EDT
[#12]
I missed or forgot the part of placing the jars in a hot water bath. I pulled them from the dish washer and filled them up one didn't seal but for safe measure their all in the fridge.
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 9:42:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Bump. Just because it's that time again. $6/ basket of nice small pickles at the Public market this morning. In process now.
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 11:43:02 AM EDT
[#14]
did a batch of 6 jars
had one fail to seal due to my own fault and one was iffy over night
so I put them both in the fridge and they both sealed up.
whats the deal on that? just leave them in there?
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 2:56:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By bigrob88:
did a batch of 6 jars

I would, because if they didn't seal on their own there may be a problem down the line. However treating them as "refrigerator pickles" will be fine.

Just a FYI for the newbies: In general a basket of small pickles will fill 12 one quart jars. Having done this recipe  several times now, the op's recipe will do 10.
Add 1 cup vinegar, 3 cups water and 1/3 cup pickling salt (1 quart total) to do 2 additional one quart jars. YMMV.

Between chores, harvesting, canning and going to our camp, it will be some time before I see the shooting club range again. But it's worth it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 7:33:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By bigrob88:
did a batch of 6 jars

yes
they didn't seal and they won't "store" forever
but fridge pickles they'll be fine.

enjoy
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 1:20:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Bump so I can find it easier.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 3:35:42 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm having a hard time waiting 3 weeks.  

Link Posted: 7/31/2011 9:18:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Zam18th:
I'm having a hard time waiting 3 weeks.  

Made my first batch two weeks ago. I can't wait either. However I may have had a jar or two not seal that I ate a little early
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 12:43:29 AM EDT
[#20]
i'm going to find a market tomorrow with some cuk's so i can give this recipe a try.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 9:07:47 AM EDT
[#21]
OK Just another post to thank Bozeman. Holy Shit are these pickles amazing.  Thank you for this recipe
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 11:04:30 AM EDT
[#22]
if someone doesnt have fresh dill available how much of the dried dill should one use per jar?
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 11:27:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 12:09:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Can MT's recipe be done safely without all that salt?  I hat this High BP.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:40:39 PM EDT
[#25]
I just cracked a jar and these pickles are horrible!  

Just kidding!  4 days to go, I think I'll accidentally break a seal tonight.

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 5:42:45 PM EDT
[#26]
I cut it in half as I always do with salt.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 5:43:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By odontia32m:
Can MT's recipe be done safely without all that salt?  I hat this High BP.

see above

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:51:21 PM EDT
[#28]

Originally Posted By BozemanMT:

Y'all owe me

Best damn dill pickles ever

Brine: 1 Quart apple cider vinegar (not apple cider flavored)

3 Quarts water

1 Cup pickling salt

Boil 5 minutes - Keep hot

Wash and cut off both ends of pickles.

Cut large ones in half lengthwise.

Drop 1 clove garlic

1 piece dill

1 little red pepper

Into bottom of sterilized jar and pack pickles into jar upright. Place in hot water to heat jars (very hot!) Fill with hot brine. Heat lids and seal. Turn the jars upside down for a little while so that the lids stay hot. Turn right side up and make sure they seal.

Wait 3 weeks

Eat.

KILLER

Must've done something wrong.  Just made 4 jars, none of them sealed.  Had them upside down for 20 min or so.

Should I just keep these in the fridge, or try it again?

-Slice

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:28:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By HomeSlice:

Y'all owe me

3 Quarts water
1 Cup pickling salt

Drop 1 clove garlic
1 piece dill
1 little red pepper
Into bottom of sterilized jar and pack pickles into jar upright. Place in hot water to heat jars (very hot!) Fill with hot brine. Heat lids and seal. Turn the jars upside down for a little while so that the lids stay hot. Turn right side up and make sure they seal.

Wait 3 weeks

Eat.

KILLER

Must've done something wrong.  Just made 4 jars, none of them sealed.  Had them upside down for 20 min or so.

Should I just keep these in the fridge, or try it again?

-Slice

If you don't try to reseal immediately, treat them as refrigerator pickles.
Did you "poke" everything down to remove air bubbles after pouring the hot brine into the jars?  Also, everything must be hot enough and the correct air space left  ( I leave 1/2") to contract enough to seal properly.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 9:01:43 AM EDT
[#30]
My jalapeño and cubanelle plants are producing more than I can eat fresh.  I picked everything of decent size and used this recipe, minus dill and red pepper, to can them.  I cut the cubanelles into rings.  I cut the jalapeños in half.  The stem and most of the inner flesh and seeds were removed from both.  I ended up with 11 quart jars.  All sealed.  I like pickled peppers on sandwiches.  Look forward to tasting these in 3 weeks.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:41:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Y'all owe me

3 Quarts water
1 Cup pickling salt

Drop 1 clove garlic
1 piece dill
1 little red pepper

Wait 3 weeks

Eat.

KILLER

can anyone tell me.  excatly what one piece of dill is?  just the stalk or what.  this is going to be my first time and i don't want to mess it up.  is it just a small piece a inch long or so what do i need a big stalk w/ the seeds or whatever, i pm'd bozeman but figured i would ask here too , so you guys could get a laugh out of it also :)
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:15:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 9:47:19 PM EDT
[#33]
lol well lets hope i got this right.  i went a head and did 20 quarts and 6 pints.  now the wait begins
Link Posted: 8/16/2011 11:27:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Did 9 in total added some jalepanos to 2 of them.  

Link Posted: 8/16/2011 12:52:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/17/2011 11:59:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pyro6988] [#36]
Originally Posted By iNuhBaDNayburhood:

How long does this recipe store for???  Year or so?

I have some jars that are over a year old and still perfectly fine.  Pickles become a little less crunchy but more flavorful.
Link Posted: 8/17/2011 12:25:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 6:43:37 PM EDT
[#38]

SO PRETTY
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 8:06:22 PM EDT
[#39]
nice
is that okra on the left?
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 8:35:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Iowaredneck] [#40]
nice
is that okra on the left?

Oh yea

Thank you sir for the recipe
Link Posted: 9/3/2011 8:03:47 PM EDT
[#41]
well i opened my first jar and they are very very good.  thanks a ton for the recipe sir.
Link Posted: 9/3/2011 10:21:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Some of mine are dated June 2010 and still coming out good.  Glad I skipped growing cukes this year.
Link Posted: 9/4/2011 12:08:29 AM EDT
[#43]
definatly going to try this recipe
Link Posted: 9/6/2011 8:02:19 AM EDT
[#44]
tag
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 3:37:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bsf] [#45]
Originally Posted By bsf:
My jalapeño and cubanelle plants are producing more than I can eat fresh.  I picked everything of decent size and used this recipe, minus dill and red pepper, to can them.  I cut the cubanelles into rings.  I cut the jalapeños in half.  The stem and most of the inner flesh and seeds were removed from both.  I ended up with 11 quart jars.  All sealed.  I like pickled peppers on sandwiches.  Look forward to tasting these in 3 weeks.

My first batch was a success.  The jalapeños actually crunch when you bite into them.  The cubanelles (possibly mislabeled Hungarian Hots) are not as crispy, but still better than store-bought.  I did not anticipate how much heat would be reduced though.  They are all quite mild.  The taste is very good.  I was impressed enough that I did another 10 quarts about 2 weeks ago, packed much more densely.  If I can keep my 8 pepper plants going for a bit longer, I should be able to harvest enough for 7 or 8 more quarts.  The production of my jalapeños and Cubanelles is crazy.

ETA
I have had 0 jars fail to seal.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 7:57:52 PM EDT
[#46]

My first batch was a success.  The jalapeños actually crunch when you bite into them.  The cubanelles (possibly mislabeled Hungarian Hots) are not as crispy, but still better than store-bought.  I did not anticipate how much heat would be reduced though.  They are all quite mild.  The taste is very good.  I was impressed enough that I did another 10 quarts about 2 weeks ago, packed much more densely.  If I can keep my 8 pepper plants going for a bit longer, I should be able to harvest enough for 7 or 8 more quarts.  The production of my jalapeños and Cubanelles is crazy.

ETA

i did 10 quarts of jalapenos and hungarian hots and they are great. i kept the super chili's in mine though :)
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 10:58:44 PM EDT
[#47]
If anyone likes pickled green tomatoes this recipes works out pretty sweet for that also. I have canned about 8 quarts so far they taste great.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 11:42:41 AM EDT
[#48]
I don't have access to fresh dill.  

Dill weed or dill seed?

How much per pint?
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 5:53:37 PM EDT
[#49]

Originally Posted By gruntsoldier:

ETA

i did 10 quarts of jalapenos and hungarian hots and they are great. i kept the super chili's in mine though :)

Very interesting.    

I have peppers coming out my ass and I was wondering if you could substitute peppers for cukes in the recipe.  

Any idea if the shelf life is reduced at all?

Link Posted: 10/28/2011 6:18:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By jandreaeinWI:
If anyone likes pickled green tomatoes this recipes works out pretty sweet for that also. I have canned about 8 quarts so far they taste great.

This is true. I enjoyed the green tomatoes as much as the pickles.  The pickled carrots were also great.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top