Site Notices
Canned goods shelflife (Page 4 of 4)
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 6:38:03 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WranglerJK:

I've eaten plenty of canned goods post best by date. However, today I had a can of chunky clam chowder and by the end, it started to taste very strong and a bit off.

Can was fine, no dents or rust, smelled fine before and after warming up. It was only 3 months post best by date.

My question, should canned goods with dairy be treated differently than those without? For example, I've eaten chunky soup that was chicken noodle and tasted perfectly fine 1 year post best by date.
View Quote
A couple weeks ago I opened up and used a can of evaporated milk when making some mac and cheese.  It looked a little darker than I thought it should so I tasted it.  Tasted OK and I used it.  Later I got to thinking about the last time I had used evaporated milk and I checked the other cans that I had.  Use by date was April of 2004.   So, ten year old evaporated milk, although slightly darker color tasted OK and I'm still kicking.

Link Posted: 6/15/2014 6:02:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm still going thorough black beans and re-fried beans for tacos, 2007 best by date .  I have almost 2 cases left of each
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:27:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Had Dinty Moore for dinner last night, yes I was desperate,  Noticed it was purchased 05,  failed to mention that to the misses.

Tasted fine, no problems, so no dibs on anything.

No pics of wife either
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 12:55:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Is it just me or hasn't anybody posted in this thread that they ate some post dated stuff and died?  
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 3:01:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 7:35:01 PM EDT
[#6]
In 2013, I ate a can of veggie beef soup that expired in 1999.  Color was a bit off, but tasted ok.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 10:02:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Just ran across a box of grape jelly put up as half-pints  in 2000 from our vines in WV at the time. Still tastes good, maybe a bit darker than when first canned but definately worth putting on the table...

Nick
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Canned goods shelflife (Page 4 of 4)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top