Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2007 10:53:13 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 11:17:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 11:50:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 1:09:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not a big one for mac n cheese (the kids and their boxes of 'yellow death' have ruined it for me), but that looks GOOD.  I'm going to have to try it.

Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 1:16:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The ingredients are pretty simple.....
img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/FredFeral/Mac/mm1323.jpg

I like to weigh the macaroni out, but you can just divide a 16 oz. package by eye if you want.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/FredFeral/Mac/mm1325.jpg

Grease up a 9" X 13" (or so) baking dish with some shortening and set it aside.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/FredFeral/Mac/mm1326.jpg

Melt your butter while your starting the pasta to boil. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/FredFeral/Mac/mm1327.jpg

Grate your cheese up while the butter melts over low heat. Set the cheese aside.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/FredFeral/Mac/mm1328.jpg

Whisk the salt and mustard (pepper optional) into the melted butter over medium heat....don't let it brown.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/FredFeral/Mac/mm1331.jpg

Then slowly add the milk while continuing to whisk the mixture. When the mixture bubbles and has thickened a little bit, remove it from the heat and add half the reserved cheese. Mix until the cheese has melted.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/FredFeral/Mac/mm1332.jpg

The resulting mixture will look too soupy.....don't worry about that, it'll thicken and come together when it bakes. Don't get too worried about it....you aren't making some kind of fine French white sauce here.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/FredFeral/Mac/mm1336.jpg

Put the mixture in your baking dish and use a squeegee to get out all the sauce.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/FredFeral/Mac/mm1337.jpg

Cover uniformly with the remaining cheese and place baking dish in preheated oven.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/FredFeral/Mac/mm1338.jpg

Remove after 40 minutes or when the top is nicely browned.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/FredFeral/Mac/mm1339.jpg

Serve with hearty food of your choice.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/FredFeral/Mac/mm1342.jpg

Enjoy.
Damn your killing me . My mouth is warting for some of that baked M&C.
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 1:19:26 PM EDT
[#5]
looks good, but whats that on the plate in the background?

10/10
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 1:22:40 PM EDT
[#6]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
The ingredients are pretty simple.....
img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/FredFeral/Mac/mm1323.jpg

I like to weigh the macaroni out, but you can just divide a 16 oz. package by eye if you want.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/FredFeral/Mac/mm1325.jpg

Grease up a 9" X 13" (or so) baking dish with some shortening and set it aside.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/FredFeral/Mac/mm1326.jpg

Melt your butter while your starting the pasta to boil. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/FredFeral/Mac/mm1327.jpg

Grate your cheese up while the butter melts over low heat. Set the cheese aside.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/FredFeral/Mac/mm1328.jpg

Whisk the salt and mustard (pepper optional) into the melted butter over medium heat....don't let it brown.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/FredFeral/Mac/mm1331.jpg

Then slowly add the milk while continuing to whisk the mixture. When the mixture bubbles and has thickened a little bit, remove it from the heat and add half the reserved cheese. Mix until the cheese has melted.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/FredFeral/Mac/mm1332.jpg

The resulting mixture will look too soupy.....don't worry about that, it'll thicken and come together when it bakes. Don't get too worried about it....you aren't making some kind of fine French white sauce here.href=img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/FredFeral/Mac/mm1336.jpg

Put the mixture in your baking dish and use a squeegee to get out all the sauce.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/FredFeral/Mac/mm1337.jpg

Cover uniformly with the remaining cheese and place baking dish in preheated oven.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/FredFeral/Mac/mm1338.jpg

Remove after 40 minutes or when the top is nicely browned.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/FredFeral/Mac/mm1339.jpg

Serve with hearty food of your choice.href=img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/FredFeral/Mac/mm1342.jpg

Enjoy. h

M&C.

My paternal Grandmother would make it from scratch, I would go to town on it!!  I kick myself in the a@# for not getting her receipe before she died.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 1:24:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I love the cheap stuff; but I love the good stuff even more. We'll have to try this out.
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 1:28:07 PM EDT
[#8]
more cheese the merrier. i love any baked pasta dish with cheese on top. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm good
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 1:28:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 1:32:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 1:32:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
looks good, but whats that on the plate in the background?

BBQ'd chicken breasts.
well a +10 on that, because it looks good. damn now im freaking hungry
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 2:10:36 PM EDT
[#12]
IF you have any left over, the next morning you can have it for breakfast...

slice the very cold mac and cheese into 1/2 to 3/4 inch slices.
dip each slice in an egg wash and dredge in bread crumbs
fry it up in a saute pan with a little butter

Unfortunately, we very rarely have any left over after the kids raid the fridge in the middle of the night.
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 5:05:03 PM EDT
[#13]
there's a big difference between the boxed dry mac and cheese and the homemade stuff and that is FAT!  

if i don't want something fatty, i can make up a box of the kraft mac and cheese and be good to go.  yeah it's not the best, but i like it.  

of course the homemade stuff tastes better, anything with butter tastes good! hehehe

i rarely make homemade mac and cheese and i don't want to eat all that fat.  it is tasty though.

C
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 5:08:19 PM EDT
[#14]
But........it's not artificially yellow?
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 5:28:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Mmmmmm that looks gooood!
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 12:08:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Feral I just love your posts.  

Here is my personal favorite.
Mal's GhettoMac~N~Chzzzz  ( I call it this because of the Velveeta)  

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 pound elbow macaroni  
1 stick butter
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Muenster cheese
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded mild Cheddar cheese  
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack
2 cups half-and-half  
1 cup (8 ounces) Velveeta, cut into small cubes
2 large eggs, lightly beaten

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly butter a deep 2 1/2-quart casserole.

Cook the mac:

In a small saucepan, melt eight tablespoons of the butter. Stir into the macaroni.

In a large bowl, mix the Muenster, mild and sharp Cheddar, and Monterey Jack cheeses. To the macaroni, add the half-and-half, 1 1/2 cups of the shredded cheese, the cubed Velveeta, and the eggs. Transfer to the buttered casserole. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheese and dot with the remaining one tablespoon of butter.

Bake until it's bubbling around the edges, about 35 minutes. Serve hot.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 12:19:16 PM EDT
[#17]
ost
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 5:24:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm not a big one for mac n cheese (the kids and their boxes of 'yellow death' have ruined it for me), but that looks GOOD.  I'm going to have to try it.

Thanks for sharing.

Give it a try and report back......I swear to you the homemade version is nothing like the crap in a box stuff you buy in the supermarket.

Made this recipe tonight and loved it.  Soooooo much better than 'yellow death.'

We also made it with the white extra sharp cheddar, and the kiddos were a little in awe of cheddar that was white.  Yeah, they're picky.  But E22CAPT liked it too, and I'm sure we'll make it again.

Thanks again for the recipe.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 9:51:48 PM EDT
[#19]
The fiancee and I used your recipe for dinner tonight, Feral. It was delicious! Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top