Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 147
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:04:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Question: Is there not "candy" in one end of the cage?

Normally a queen cage has corks in both ends. But one end also has "candy" inside--a glob of white stuff between the cork and the queen.

Does your queen cage not have this?
View Quote
I haven't looked. I assumed that all of the candy she had would consist of the marshmallow cork... which isn't in her cage at this time.

I'll write to the provider and ask him about this. He's an experienced beekeeper himself. He provides lots of bees from between Albuquerque and Orange County, CA, where he picks them up.

The " bee bus" (it's the actual name of the cage the bees come in) has a jar of thick syrup. So if the attendants are accepting her -- and as I said, it appears that they are*-- then they are feeding her. She's been in her cage inside the bee bus with the rest of the package for, I'm guessing, a week or more.

*I have seen a video of bees as they start "balling" the queen. They are quite viscious! The video I saw had the queen in her cage, surrounded by angry, murderous workers. The beekeeper could not pry them away from the cage without effort!

How Bees Beehave When They Don't Accept the New Queen
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:06:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Question: Is there not "candy" in one end of the cage?

Normally a queen cage has corks in both ends. But one end also has "candy" inside--a glob of white stuff between the cork and the queen.

View Quote
I haven't looked. I assumed that all of the candy she had would consist of the marshmallow cork... which isn't in her cage at this time.

I'll write to the provider and ask him about this. He's an experienced beekeeper himself. He provides lots of bees from between Albuquerque and Orange County, CA, where he picks them up.

The " bee bus" (it's the actual name of the cage the bees come in) has a jar of thick syrup. So if the attendants are accepting her -- and as I said, it appears that they are*-- then they are feeding her. She's been in her cage inside the bee bus with the rest of the package for, I'm guessing, a week or more.

*I have seen a video of bees as they start "balling" the queen. They are quite viscious! The video I saw had the queen in her cage, surrounded by angry, murderous workers. The beekeeper could not pry them away from the cage without effort!

How Bees Beehave When They Don't Accept the New Queen
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:46:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 12:03:25 AM EDT
[#4]
After a bit of a rough start, my packages came in today around 10:00 am. By 16:30 I had them all re-homed, after my better half got off work and went down there with me. She took lots of pics as we went. I even spotted the queen in the feral colony that I rescued back in February. It was exciting. That colony is doing well. Lots of brood and honey.

Unfortunately, not everything went well. The vendor doesn't use a hard candy in the bee bus (thanks FrankSymptoms for the new term). They used a very sticky, glue-like candy. Well, two of my queens were stuck in it and dead. I don't know which happened first, the dying or the sticking, but they are goners.

I've already contacted the vendor both via phone (left voicemail) and email. Their policy is to ship new queens if notified within 24 hours. I really hoped to be done with this vendor.

Now, for the problem. It's Easter weekend. I'm traveling Tuesday. My wife probably isn't willing to install the queens by herself. I will ask members of my bee club whether one of them is available.

Am I totally screwed? Or, just marginally? What is the proper course of action when this happens?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:02:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cuttingedge:
What does everyone do to prevent swarming?
There are many ways (reversing brood boxes, adding supers, splitting). I would like to get an idea of how everyone handles this.
Since I am in the business of making bees, my swarm prevention methods include splitting hives but this season I would like to have a "few" colonies that I use for honey production.
I am also thinking about trying to run one or two colonies in single brood boxes with multiple supers. It will be tricky to overwinter them in this configuration but I'm willing to try. It may mean leaving a full super on for the winter.
View Quote
All of the above...lol

Last week I finished up making 39 splits.  This year I left the queen in the mother hive and the Nuc made the new queen cells.  Last year I removed the queen and placed her in the nuc, forcing the mother hive to make a new queen.  I think this is the best idea. This eliminated any chance of a swarm until the new queen started laying.  By then I hoped that whichever bees in the hive decided the swarm was a good idea should be expired.  I didn't have time to run and check all of the mother hives to see if they re-queened properly last year.  This year all of my nucs are in 1 yard and I can check them all in 1 day.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:07:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

To your last question:

If the colony has decided to accept her, they will feed her.  She should have attendants in her cage. (Does she?) Normally a queen is caged with attendants.  So when you watch closely what the colony is doing while they are gathered around her cage, you might see that some of them are feeding her, or offering food to the attendants, who will then feed her.

If they are not trying to bite her through the cage wire, they have probably accepted her.  

Question:  Is there not "candy" in one end of the cage?

View Quote
Many queen producers are now shipping queens WITHOUT attendants.  WTF... The queens are in smaller cages also...
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:11:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By DUX4LIFE:

All of the above...lol

Last week I finished up making 39 splits.  This year I left the queen in the mother hive and the Nuc made the new queen cells.  Last year I removed the queen and placed her in the nuc, forcing the mother hive to make a new queen.  I think this is the best idea. This eliminated any chance of a swarm until the new queen started laying.  By then I hoped that whichever bees in the hive decided the swarm was a good idea should be expired.  I didn't have time to run and check all of the mother hives to see if they re-queened properly last year.  This year all of my nucs are in 1 yard and I can check them all in 1 day.
View Quote
Making splits already? Im Jealous, We don't have many drones yet and don't have anything in bloom yet. Our time will come
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:13:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Many queen producers are now shipping queens WITHOUT attendants.  WTF... The queens are in smaller cages also...
View Quote
Have heard the same. I wonder why they are doing this? It only takes a minute to put in 5 or 6 attendants in the cage and it will certainly help the queen as that is how she gets fed. I don't get it...
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:14:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:17:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:19:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:25:05 PM EDT
[#12]

It seems idiotic, but I wonder what the thinking is?
View Quote
Time = money so that extra minute or two per queen cage can add up when making hundreds of them up. They may also figure that the cluster around the queen cage can still feed her through the screening on the cage. I'm not sure that's just my guess but it seems stupid if you ask me. I'm willing to bet that a lot more packages will arrive with dead queens. Not good business IMHO. Packages are a disaster to begin with, this will make the product even worse.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:19:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#13]
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:55:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cuttingedge] [#14]

Packages are problematic.  But a less expensive way to get going....at least they WERE less expensive.

I thought about the idea that if the cluster doesn't give food and water to the attendants, they can't give it to the queen, so maybe the thinking is....she will live or die.  ..but there's the candy available from her end too, at least in a normal queen cage that I'm used to.

If that kind of "whatever let's save 30 seconds per queen" thinking  is pervading beekeeping, I am truly worried about the industry.

I will also say...that IMO, the marshmallow instead of queen candy is why I lost a number of queens from a local producer, and I think it's why he didn't make it as a queen producer.  He insisted on using marshmallows instead of the traditional candy.

I understood his thinking, but I had three queens be sluggish after one day in the cage.  (He was only about 25 miles from me, so he caged in the evening, I picked up the next day and installed.)  It contributed to the downfall of three hives for me, because it prolonged their queenless state to the point that they gave up.

ETA:  He DID quit using colored marshmallows  (he would buy the packs of small marshmallows, which sometimes come in pink, green, white, etc.) after two queens in a row failed for me immediately--they were dead within the 24 hour period, before I could even install, and he later said he had other beekeepers who'd lost queens, but did not put it together until I lost mine.  I treated the queens really well on the way home, and he knew I was careful.    

It turned me against the marshmallow thing though.

I am just not sure the marshmallow candy is the best option.
View Quote
The bees surrounding the queen cage should be able to feed her through the screen on the cage. If they can injure her through the cage, they can feed her through the cage. At least thats what I have been told. As far as queen candy goes, I do not and will never use marshmallows. It is easy to make your own queen candy. Getting the consistency right is the hard part but I use invert syrup and powdered sugar. Many use honey and powdered sugar or corn syrup and powdered sugar. I have also heard of people using circus peanuts and gum drops
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:45:26 PM EDT
[#15]

One of you bee club will probably come and put the queens in.

How long are you going to be gone?
View Quote
I'm gone through Friday. The vendor did respond Saturday morning and said that they would ship immediately with an arrival on Monday. Assuming that's right, I'll have them installed in plenty of time before my departure on Tuesday.

He also admitted that the sticky candy was a problem. It's been really humid there, and he will adjust the recipe. I'm guessing that it's been an issue for many folks.

Also, as was mentioned later in the thread, mine were all sent without attendants. I was expecting them to be there.

I spent yesterday mending fences, literally, down by my apiary. So, I'm about to head out, inspect, and give more syrup. One that had a queen looked like it was swarming yesterday afternoon. I'm hoping for the best.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 4:20:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:45:57 AM EDT
[#17]

Maybe they were just hot and hanging out on the hive.
View Quote
Alas, no such luck. The hive with the swarm on it had what looked like a full package inside it. And, I even saw the queen. The swarm was from one of the other packages that was given a queen. That hive was almost empty. Thankfully, the two queenless hives looked like they had at least most of the packages in it.

It's already been an adventure, and it's only mid-April!
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:07:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:49:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I picked up two new extra hive boxes from my cousin this last weekend that he had sitting around, 2 complete sets: bottom board, deep lower, queen extruder, medium super, inner and outer covers plus all the frames with plastic foundations.

He mentioned attaching the bottom board to the deep with two small metal straps to hold it together. I don't see that in my book nor do I see it anywhere else. I know the bees will glue it all together eventually and I'll have to pry it apart. Do any of you attach the bottom board to the brood chamber?

Bees will be here on Saturday.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:28:57 PM EDT
[#20]
I opened the hives today.
The new hive was thriving! A total of perhaps 1/2 full comb, spread over 5 frames, has been built in 4 days. And today was the day I removed the plug from the queen's cage and replaced it with a marshmallow. So she'll be free in a day or so. They were kind of edgy; after opening the hive (and getting stung on my ear) I decided to suit up, and will continue to do so till they settle down.

Opening the old hive, I found lots of drones and drone brood, but also more worker brood than I saw before. I think I found the queen, too, longer and more slender than the workers, but she didn't look as "leathery" as she did the first time I saw her. And she was on a brand-new piece of comb, about as large as my hand; there was no brood around her, nor honey.

There were LOTS of workers around! They covered the walls of the hive, and almost all of the older comb. So for now there's no shortage of workers.

There was so much new comb that I decided to make a small harvest; we are enjoying honey on our toast today!

Hope all is well with everyone out there!
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By joemama74:
I picked up two new extra hive boxes from my cousin this last weekend that he had sitting around, 2 complete sets: bottom board, deep lower, queen extruder, medium super, inner and outer covers plus all the frames with plastic foundations.

He mentioned attaching the bottom board to the deep with two small metal straps to hold it together. I don't see that in my book nor do I see it anywhere else. I know the bees will glue it all together eventually and I'll have to pry it apart. Do any of you attach the bottom board to the brood chamber?

Bees will be here on Saturday.
View Quote
It is not necessary especially if you aren't moving hives around a lot. I will be screwing all of my bottom boards on this year as I move a lot of hives. It makes things a littler easier for me. I will use two decking screws on the bottom to hold the bottom board to the hive body.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:16:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fish223] [#22]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:07:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:09:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:47:41 AM EDT
[#25]

Good news on many workers.  Hoping you see the queen in that original hive soon, or eggs, for evidence of queen.

You will not be the first to think a hive might be queenless, to find out that hive is queenright.
View Quote
I must admit, I freaked out a little when I saw so many drone cells.

Anyone ever been stung on the ear? I got it on the top of my left ear. HobbitWife scraped the stinger out within about a minute, and now it's very red and itches like crazy.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:10:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By FrankSymptoms:

I must admit, I freaked out a little when I saw so many drone cells.

Anyone ever been stung on the ear? I got it on the top of my left ear. HobbitWife scraped the stinger out within about a minute, and now it's very red and itches like crazy.
View Quote
I haven't been stung on the ear. But, one got the back of my hand on Saturday. It itched a lot and was swollen for 3 days. I've had wasps get me on the back of the neck. That sucked. Benadryl tends to help a bit on the itching. I don't know what works for swelling.

Congrats on how well your girls are doing!
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:58:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Another question: My cousin said I could put lemon grass oil in a bee trap to lure swarming bees in. Since I have a brand new hive that I just painted (outside only), should I put lemon grass inside of it to help with the smell and make it more welcoming to my new bees?

I don't have lemon grass oil, but I've got about 5000 pots of lemon grass in the greenhouse, so it's no big deal to pull some, crumple it up and put it in there.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:43:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#28]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:57:51 PM EDT
[#29]
I actually used to keep an Epi pen in my box, too, when they did not cost a stupid amount of money.
View Quote
That's an excellent idea. We have two at our house just in case. HobbitWife has never been stung; son has been stung once and I've been hit multiple times. I don't have any problem but son and wife may be allergic, we just don't know yet.

She gets a kick about how the bees come up to her, crawl around on her arms and face, and just fly away. She just puts out positive vibes I guess.

I usually get stung on the fingers, because I get careless and surprise one of the ladies.

As a generality, 5 percent of our population is allergic to honey bee venom.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:11:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#30]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:22:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:43:52 PM EDT
[#32]

You might put a leaf or two in there.  Mush it a little to release the essential oils.

Keep it small so that if they're tired of it they can drag it out easily.

Yes, you can use lemongrass oil to attract swarms.  One nice beekeeper here on the forum sent me a bit of the oil and a piece of old comb (that is his combination--a q-tip with a drop of lemongrass oil and a bit of old comb in the swarm trap, to catch swarms) and I still have it, safe and sound.  Have not used it yet but I will.

I have not seen him this season but maybe he will chime in...
View Quote
It wasn't me but I will throw in my .02 cents. A good friend of mine was VERY successful catching swarms last year. He caught about 20 so I asked him what he does. His traps are the same size as a deep Langstroth hive body. He smokes his traps heavily with a smoker and let's them air out for a day or two. He then places a piece of old comb in and one or two drops of lemon grass oil. He says that one of the things that is very successful is putting propolis in a glass jar and filling it with alcohol. Shake it and stir it up to dissolve the propolis. You can then paint some onto the inside and outside of your traps with it. The alcohol dissolves quickly and the bees are very attracted to the smell of the propolis, old comb and lemongrass oil. It worked very well for him so I will be using it this year.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:17:49 AM EDT
[#33]
I got the replacement queens installed on Monday. They arrived promptly, with attendants, and with hard candy and not the sticky stuff that may have killed the other two queens. As of this evening, both queens were released. But, one of them was still in the cage with a lot of other workers. It didn't look aggressive to me, but I'm still learning.

Today, I also found that 3 of the new colonies are building comb hanging from the inner cover. One of the colonies was queenless Friday through Monday. So, I'm going to have some cleaning up to do. I'm going to let them build out some more and then move the comb into frames. I'm not looking forward to that.

Is this a frequent occurrence for packages, for them to build on the inner cover rather than the frames (with waxed foundation)?

In case it matters, this is the configuration of the hive, working top to bottom:
- telescoping cover
- inner cover
- medium super box
- sugar syrup bag, sitting directly on frames
- hive box with 10 frames; most new, but of varying types
- screened bottom with entrance reducer set to small

A super-majority of the equipment is new.

It's always an adventure. But, I'm including my family. My teenage daughter was my helper tonight.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:21:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sgt_seti] [#34]
Originally Posted By cuttingedge:
It wasn't me but I will throw in my .02 cents. A good friend of mine was VERY successful catching swarms last year. He caught about 20 so I asked him what he does. His traps are the same size as a deep Langstroth hive body. He smokes his traps heavily with a smoker and let's them air out for a day or two. He then places a piece of old comb in and one or two drops of lemon grass oil. He says that one of the things that is very successful is putting propolis in a glass jar and filling it with alcohol. Shake it and stir it up to dissolve the propolis. You can then paint some onto the inside and outside of your traps with it. The alcohol dissolves quickly and the bees are very attracted to the smell of the propolis, old comb and lemongrass oil. It worked very well for him so I will be using it this year.
View Quote
Hmm, luring in swarms. Maybe I should try that next year. I have a red-tipped photinia that gets covered in bees. It is adjacent to an unused dog kennel with a roof at 6' high. I could put a lure box on top of that. What do you think? Good idea? Bad? After this year, I'll be a really big fan of not buying any packages unless I must.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:56:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cuttingedge] [#35]
Originally Posted By sgt_seti:
I got the replacement queens installed on Monday. They arrived promptly, with attendants, and with hard candy and not the sticky stuff that may have killed the other two queens. As of this evening, both queens were released. But, one of them was still in the cage with a lot of other workers. It didn't look aggressive to me, but I'm still learning.

Today, I also found that 3 of the new colonies are building comb hanging from the inner cover. One of the colonies was queenless Friday through Monday. So, I'm going to have some cleaning up to do. I'm going to let them build out some more and then move the comb into frames. I'm not looking forward to that.

Is this a frequent occurrence for packages, for them to build on the inner cover rather than the frames (with waxed foundation)?

In case it matters, this is the configuration of the hive, working top to bottom:
- telescoping cover
- inner cover
- medium super box
- sugar syrup bag, sitting directly on frames
- hive box with 10 frames; most new, but of varying types
- screened bottom with entrance reducer set to small

A super-majority of the equipment is new.

It's always an adventure. But, I'm including my family. My teenage daughter was my helper tonight.
View Quote
when did you install the package? If this is a new package and the frames are just foundation or even if they are drawn comb it sounds like too much room. I would ditch the medium super for now until they draw out about 80% of the bottom box. What type of inner cover do you have? If your inner cover is flipped the wrong way, they will draw comb under it. If it has a notch, you want that facing up for the summer months.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:03:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By sgt_seti:

Hmm, luring in swarms. Maybe I should try that next year. I have a red-tipped photinia that gets covered in bees. It is adjacent to an unused dog kennel with a roof at 6' high. I could put a lure box on top of that. What do you think? Good idea? Bad? After this year, I'll be a really big fan of not buying any packages unless I must.
View Quote
That should work. After this year, you could split your colonies as well
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:16:40 PM EDT
[#37]
My 7 year old daughter and I installed our two packages on Tuesday.  Large quantities of pollen are already entering the hives.  Today they each slammed a full quart of syrup.

It's funny how they both already seem so different than each other. One hive flies less, but uses a little more syrup.  The other is a foraging beast.

We have cold temps the next few days, so it will probably be next Tuesday before I check on the queens.

Pretty cool experience so far!
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:51:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 7:42:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FrankSymptoms] [#39]
Good News! HobbitWife says that the bees in the new hive are returning with pollen on their legs! Looks like they are settling right in!

I opened their hive yesterday. The Queen has gotten out of her cage. The bees have already made about 1 1/2 (total amount) frames of comb! Theirs is a sort of milky white comb, not yellow like other bees.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 11:20:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:54:23 PM EDT
[#41]

Milky white is normal for new comb, at least for Italian bees.  

Do your other bees not build white comb?
View Quote
You are correct. White comb implies that it was just made. It changes color as it is being used. Bees walk all over it with foreign substances, queens lay eggs in it, it is filled with various things (Brood, Royal Jelly, Nectar, Pollen, Honey, Bee Bread, Varroa, etc).
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 4:25:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#42]
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 9:51:43 PM EDT
[#43]

A lot of beekeepers tend hives without gloves.  A lot of beekeepers purposely get stung a time or two a year because they believe it builds up a tolerance.  I actually believe this too, IN SPITE OF THE MEDICAL COMMUNITY'S CURRENT STATEMENTS TO THE CONTRARY, AND THE CURRENT UNDERSTANDING THAT ALLERGANS ACTUALLY BUILD UP OVER TIME, CAUSING AN ALLERGIC REACTION IN THE INDIVIDUAL WHO MAY HAVE NEVER EXHIBITED SYMPTOMS BEFORE.

Okay that there is my disclaimer.

NOW:  TO ALL BEEKEEPERS:  I've read too much and done too much research into sting therapy and such, to buy into the current medical caveat, but...*****I DO NOT TAKE ANAPHYLAXIS LIGHTLY.  If there is ANY chance you might be allergic, or anybody near you might be allergic, carry an Epi pen.

I do not work bees without gloves, because getting stung is SO NOT FUN, and it takes the fun out of beekeeping. I get stung anyway, but not much, and not bad, but I want fun, so I wear gloves.
View Quote
I hope this is incorrect as there are times I get stung 20-30 plus in a day(not every day) as I usually refuse to wear gloves.  This year I started to wear my veil more often as I can work faster since I don't have to be as careful.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 10:18:42 PM EDT
[#44]
I hope this is incorrect as there are times I get stung 20-30 plus in a day(not every day) as I usually refuse to wear gloves.  This year I started to wear my veil more often as I can work
faster since I don't have to be as careful.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

A lot of beekeepers tend hives without gloves.  A lot of beekeepers purposely get stung a time or two a year because they believe it builds up a tolerance.  I actually believe this too, IN SPITE OF THE MEDICAL COMMUNITY'S CURRENT STATEMENTS TO THE CONTRARY, AND THE CURRENT UNDERSTANDING THAT ALLERGANS ACTUALLY BUILD UP OVER TIME, CAUSING AN ALLERGIC REACTION IN THE INDIVIDUAL WHO MAY HAVE NEVER EXHIBITED SYMPTOMS BEFORE.

Okay that there is my disclaimer.

NOW:  TO ALL BEEKEEPERS:  I've read too much and done too much research into sting therapy and such, to buy into the current medical caveat, but...*****I DO NOT TAKE ANAPHYLAXIS LIGHTLY.  If there is ANY chance you might be allergic, or anybody near you might be allergic, carry an Epi pen.

I do not work bees without gloves, because getting stung is SO NOT FUN, and it takes the fun out of beekeeping. I get stung anyway, but not much, and not bad, but I want fun, so I wear gloves.
I hope this is incorrect as there are times I get stung 20-30 plus in a day(not every day) as I usually refuse to wear gloves.  This year I started to wear my veil more often as I can work
faster since I don't have to be as careful.
From what I understand as a Beekeeper, you want to get stung at least a few times on a weekly basis. We had a doctor speak at our state annual meeting and he confirmed this. If you only get stung occasionally, your body cannot build up a tolerance and you are more likely to develop a stronger reaction. I only got stung a few times last year and I wear gloves. This season things are changing. I need to mark queens so I am working through different types of gloves to become comfortable working without them. I am starting with chemical gloves followed by Playtex dish gloves. Hopefully after that I can move to surgical gloves and eventually nothing. We will see how it goes. I do envy those that are comfortable enough to work without gloves as I know I NEED to get comfortable doing just that.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 11:31:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 7:13:39 AM EDT
[#46]

My guy who used to raise queens told me that in all the time he was working with them (and he did mark them) he was never stung by a queen.

Hopefully you will have this result as well.  

The workers...yeah, they'll nail you.  But his experience backs up mine in that queens are basically chill.
View Quote
I have heard the same. My queen breeding mentor taught a class at our bee club a few years ago. He said that one of the things that he wishes every beekeeper would do when they first start out is "work without gloves". It teaches you to move slowly and you can feel when you are crushing bees. Once you get stung a few times, you learn to move more methodically thrrough the hives. I thought he was crazy advising that to new Beekeepers but he was probably right. Now, since I did not listen to him, I am forced to work through different thicknesses of gloves to get comfortable because yes, I am a baby and dont like getting stung. I'm going into all of my hives today to check on food reserves and count how many frames the bees are occupying. I am going to wear my "thin" chemical gloves and see how it goes
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 10:34:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FrankSymptoms] [#47]

My guy who used to raise queens told me that in all the time he was working with them (and he did mark them) he was never stung by a queen.

Hopefully you will have this result as well.  

The workers...yeah, they'll nail you.  But his experience backs up mine in that queens are basically chill.
View Quote
My new hive isn't used to me yet, they get kind of upset when I open the hive (my first hive is quite used to me and only get  crazy when I actually disturb them on their comb)....

BUT they went absolutely insane when I handled the queen's cage! They love their queens I guess.

As for stings.. I got stung on the left ear, at the top. It didn't hurt as much, hardly swelled at all. (HobbitWife scraped the stinger out pretty quickly.) But I've never left the stinger in for more than about a minute anyway.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 4:59:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 5:42:56 PM EDT
[#49]

If I had worked without gloves I would not have become a beekeeper.  I don't like getting stung. It takes all the fun out of it.  And once they sting you, that pheromone....here come more and  if you've got the hive torn apart there's nothing you can do but keep working.

Beyond that, I cannot overcome the need to jerk away when something lands on my skin, or freak out when a buzzing thing is in my hair.  After a lifetime of not wanting bugs crawling on me, I'm not going to overcome that reflex any time soon I'm afraid.

I can still feel when I am crushing bees even with the gloves on, but I certainly can't do detail stuff...like I could never mark a queen with those gloves on.  The queen work, I don't see how you could do with gloves at all.  Interested in how it goes for you.   Hope to see some pics of your queen rearing setup when you get going.  
View Quote
I will post some pictures in a few weeks when I get going. My order of operation right now is to super all of my hives in approximately 10 days I the weather cooperates. A few weeks after that I will go through and reverse brood boxes on my production hives. All of my Nucs will be split up and I have to set-up a cell builder hive. Once that gets going strong, I will start grafting and setting up my mating Nucs which will be near the end of May. Today I opened them all up and checked food reserves. I also marked on the back of each hive how many frames where occupied with bees and I did it all with my thin chemical gloves Everybody was busy so the bees were not really interested in me. Meanwhile here are a few nice photos from today.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 9:35:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Great day today.  Son called me and told me that I missed a swarm while I was planting the garden.  I looked at the hive early and noticed a little bearding but when I was finished they were gone so I assumed they went back inside.  My son found them hanging on a small cedar limb 16" from the ground.  Made an easy catch.  
    Went out to the Nuk yard and found 6 more swarms.  One was about 2-3 pounds of bees, 2 of them were about a softball size swarm, 1 was about 6-7 pounds.  the others were 3 pounds or so.  The 6-7 pounder was hanging on a stack of wooden pallets and a softball size swarm right next to it.  Found the queen in the small one and caged her.  Found the queen in the large one and then clumsy me dropped her while walking to get a cage for her.  While that was going on I knocked the large swarm into a nuk box but it OVERFLOWED.  Added a second story to it and started looking for another queen just in case(sometimes they leave the hive with more than one queen and separate later)  sure enough found another and caged her.  I put the queen from the small swarm into the bottom nuc box and the other queen into the top nuc box.  went and caught more swarms.  came back and half of the large swarm vacated so I guess I have a spare queen now.
    Took the other small swarm and dumped them into a queenless hive I had.  We'll see how that goes.
Page / 147
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top