BCM
User Panel

Page / 147
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 2:46:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Martlet] [#1]
dupe
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 2:47:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Temps about 50 day and around freezing nights for the next 10 days.  After, not sure.  It's tough to predict this time of year.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 3:13:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

You can hold them for a few days and feed in the packages (I mean hold them in a temperature controlled environment like an insulated building or garage)  but of course that means losses.  What is your long-range forecast looking like?
View Quote
Yes, if you can keep them in a warm dark place. Get spray bottle of 1:1 sugar syrup and give them a spray a few times a day. Don't Drench them. They should also have some syrup left in the can that they ship with.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 3:23:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Martlet:
Temps about 50 day and around freezing nights for the next 10 days.  After, not sure.  It's tough to predict this time of year.
View Quote
BTW, That's a cute Pup in your avatar. I have one of those too. She was bred in NH. Mirabelle Labs.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 3:33:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By cuttingedge:

BTW, That's a cute Pup in your avatar. I have one of those too. She was bred in NH. Mirabelle Labs.
View Quote
Thanks!  She passed over a year ago.  Easily the smartest and best pup I've had.  She was from Pacheco Kennels in MA.  HIGHLY recommended.

Here's the new LGD.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 5:59:15 PM EDT
[#6]
The hive seems to be active and industrious, though. This afternoon I saw that they were dragging dead bees outside; also, there was another wax moth larvae outside the door. It was a little less than one inch long:

I'm not concerned (yet) even though there was one last year. I wonder if the moths winter inside the hive? Also, would being queenless affect the other behaviour of the hive (cleaning stuff up, gathering pollen, etc)?
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 7:20:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Blue_Monkey:
Now I need to start painting.

http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/21136/IMG-0698-178345.jpg

ETA: Beer brewing equipment in the background
View Quote
What are the two wooden things leaned up against the hive? Are they wintering inner covers?
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 7:24:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By FrankSymptoms:
The hive seems to be active and industrious, though. This afternoon I saw that they were dragging dead bees outside; also, there was another wax moth larvae outside the door. It was a little less than one inch long:

http://bugguide.net/images/raw/KH5/RQH/KH5RQH6RFZ6RRH4RSHXR0HIZNLJLWL3L9LMROZLZPLFLFZ2RKH6R3ZYL3ZKR6LYL1LGRHHQZOL6RKH.jpg

I'm not concerned (yet) even though there was one last year. I wonder if the moths winter inside the hive? Also, would being queenless affect the other behaviour of the hive (cleaning stuff up, gathering pollen, etc)?
View Quote
I am so glad that we don't have to worry about wax moths up here. As far as them cleaning stuff, it's normal housekeeping. If they are queenless, they continue to do what they do and make a new queen assuming that they have the resources.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 7:49:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 7:59:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Y'all don't have wax moth?

http://emoticoner.com/files/emoticons/smileys/fainting-smiley.gif
View Quote
No but we have weeks on end with below zero temps and snow measured in feet.  Wanna trade? We also don't have hive beetles
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 8:03:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 8:21:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Nope.

Nope.

I'm good.

I'll keep my bugs and you can keep your weather.
View Quote
lol, maybe if I move further north, we won't have to contend with Varroa! At that point, I would probably have to put my hives in the house, next to the woodstove and under a down blanket.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 8:22:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cuttingedge] [#13]
In all seriousness, getting bees through our winters is no easy task. Having to deal with wax moths and small hive beetles would set me over the edge.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 9:18:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#14]
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 9:46:06 PM EDT
[#15]

We have both, in a way, down here.

In the transition zone we have the bugs, and we have the occasional winter ruled by Snow Mizer.  

Every summer it hits 100 degrees and stays there for a few days, at least twice.

Every winter it hits below zero and stays there--hopefully only for a couple of days, but sometimes for a week or more.  Sometimes a week or three.

The bees get a great honey flow (usually, unless we have drought) but they have to be able to take heat and cold  

A 100 degree Fahrenheit difference, plus some, per year....That's a lot to expect out of a bug, I think.

Nevertheless, I would still take that and a locust year not to deal with feet of snow in a normal season.

Brrrrr.

ETA:  I'm not sure what to make of the recent generation that goes apeshit when there is a bit of weather.

"OMg it's the snowpocalypse!!!"  

This comes when there is a "normal"  snowfall that should happen twice a year or so in our area.

They are young and haven't seen it, because we've been in a warm cycle.

Now we're moving back to a colder cycle.

I really don't know how civilization has survived to this point, or how it will survive from this point forward.

But that's anothr thread.

Bottom line...I think if we left them alone, teh bees would be fine with it.

We start messing with them and...they struggle.
View Quote
I agree with you. As crazy as it sounds, I actually enjoy winter. I own a landscape contracting business and have done commercial snow removal for over 25 years. When I lived in New York, people could not drive if there was a dusting of snow. Here it is very different.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 2:43:19 PM EDT
[#16]
The Queen is dead! Long live the Queen!

I just got back in from inspecting my hive. There's an AWFUL lot of drone brood there! There were a few sort of spotty places with drone brood, then the last 2 frames  were almost overwhelmed with it!

I didn't see the queen, with so many bees to contend with it was hard to do so. I was mainly trying to photograph the frames so I could search for her when I came inside.

I have about 9 frames now with at least some comb  on them. And there are tons of worker bees there! In fact there were a bunch of bees on the sides and bottom of the hive, all of them alive and kicking. I am already slated to pick up a box of bees at the local beekeeper's seminar on May 13th for my 2nd hive but I'm thinking that that is too long to wait. I just put in a  call to the bee supplier for a new queen.

Is there any chance that the queen is still alive but not producing worker larva? If so, I'm guessing that introducing a new queen is chancy, the old queen will kill her.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 3:03:51 PM EDT
[#17]
The Queen is dead! Long live the Queen!

I just got back in from inspecting my hive. There's an AWFUL lot of drone brood there! There were a few sort of spotty places with drone brood, then the last 2 frames  were almost overwhelmed with it!

I didn't see the queen, with so many bees to contend with it was hard to do so. I was mainly trying to photograph the frames so I could search for her when I came inside.

I have about 9 frames now with at least some comb  on them. And there are tons of worker bees there! In fact there were a bunch of bees on the sides and bottom of the hive, all of them alive and kicking. I am already slated to pick up a box of bees at the local beekeeper's seminar on May 13th for my 2nd hive but I'm thinking that that is too long to wait. I just put in a  call to the bee supplier for a new queen.

Is there any chance that the queen is still alive but not producing worker larva? If so, I'm guessing that introducing a new queen is chancy, the old queen will kill her.
View Quote
Did you see eggs? That would indicate that a queen was there. If you see fresh eggs, the queen was laying three days ago. From what you are describing I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that you have a laying worker hive.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 3:30:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#18]
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 4:08:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cuttingedge] [#19]

But they should have built some queen cells at some point, before that got started.   maybe they tried and failed.  Or she died in middle of winter when there was no brood to use for a new queen.

But if she's gone, they ought to at least have made an attempt.

Frank Symptoms,

If you find eggs and they are misplaced...like up on the sides of the cell, or not in the center, etc, that's another sign of a laying worker hive.  A good queen generally places the egg pretty much smack in the middle of the bottom of the cell.  Laying workers often do not.

ETA  Also, sometimes you have to pull the frame out, and tilt it so the sun shines down into the bottoms of the cells.  You'll be able to see eggs if they are there.  Wear your reading glasses if you use them.   Learning to see eggs is one of the skills you need as a beekeeper, and it's not the easiest thing to do.
View Quote
If the queen died or left the hive due to sickness or injury during the winter she would not have left them with a lot of eggs to make a new queen. Especially if she was not a good queen to begin with.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:03:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 8:51:40 PM EDT
[#21]

have you ever successfully dealt with a laying worker hive?

I've heard a number of remedies, including shaking off the house bees in a pile far away from the hive, or shaking the house bees into a strong, queen-right hive.  Dunno if any of them will work or not.  The one hive I had with laying workers, I eventually lost.
View Quote
Kitties, I have not successfully dealt with a laying worker hive.
Two years ago, I had one and was told to not bother re-queening as they would most likely reject the new queen. I waited and waited to see if they would develop a new queen but even after adding frames of eggs, they did not.
I was told that this may happen as they think that they are queen right. They usually have more than one laying worker so it is impossible to identify the culprit. I eventually got tired of them (almost all drones) and shook them out a couple of hundred yards away from my apiary.
I know that some have success with them but for me it got to the point where it just was not worth saving them. I have heard of a technique where you add a frame of eggs and check to see if they are making cells out of it. If they are, you can re-queen. Have you heard of anything similar?
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 9:18:31 PM EDT
[#22]
I have 2 hives starting strong this spring and yesterday a huge swarm filled this empty skyscraper nuc box with bees.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 9:26:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#23]
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 9:27:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By mcooper:
I have 2 hives starting strong this spring and yesterday a huge swarm filled this empty skyscraper nuc box with bees.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/83291/IMG-0769-179762.JPG
View Quote
That's awesome. Mine seem to like to swarm away from my apiary Freebees are best bees!
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 9:31:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#25]
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 9:59:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Okay, I spoke to an experienced beekeeper. This guy brings in hundreds of packages & queens from California and sells them here.
He says it IS possible for a fertile queen to be laying drones. The reason is that she encounters cells that were built by the workers for honey; these are oversized cells. She then senses that she should lay a drone egg in that cell! I've never heard of this before... has anyone else?
Also, a queen may take some time off from laying workers, for a number of reasons.
The fact that I did see some brood cells says that she's been there sometime in the last week or so. The hive would not go crazy so quickly.
So there's a ray of hope.
The other beekeeper will have some queens in a few weeks, in mid-May.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 10:01:22 PM EDT
[#27]

That is amazing!  Great news!

I've got a question about your hive color.

I'm guessing it's much ligter gray than it looks in the photo?

I was wondering about your heat with a dark gray hive.
I
But I'm thinking it's actually light gray.  Is that right?  Or is it actually white????
View Quote
It's a bad picture due to the contrast from the very bright sunlight. All my equipment is white.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 10:08:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 10:08:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 8:05:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cuttingedge] [#30]

No.  

I have only heard of methods that remove the workers from the hive.

It is always the house bees who are the layers, from what I understand.

So if you shake the house bees out a ways from the hive (they are young bees who are not normally OUT of the hive, so this will disorient them) then introduce the queen in a cage, this gives the hive a chance to accept her.  (ETA:  I think you may have to close up the hive for this to work, so those house bees don't get right back in.  I may be remembering wrong though. Been a while.)  Or if you shake the house bees into an existing, strong hive (this is the one I think should work best, just based on logic) those bees will become part of the new hive and the existing house bees will slap some sense into them, or they won't survive.  

Cruel I guess, but I don't know any other methods to save those bees.  They are doomed if some method like that does not work.

Allowing them to doom the entire hive is unacceptable though.

ONE OTHER method I heard of was to combine them with a really strong hive.  The strong hive will deal with the workers causing the problem.
View Quote
The method that I am describing is supposedly used if the queen did not leave a lot of resources behind. Some suggest adding a frame of mostly eggs once a week and checking to see if they start any cells. I they start raising cells from the eggs that you have provided, they know that they are queenless and will more likely accept a new queen. If they do not start cells from frames of eggs, they will most likely reject a new queen as they don't think that they are Queenless. Either way, I would personally delay introduction and try and keep her in the cage for at least three days in the hive. I think that they would be more likely to accept her. I have heard of the method that you are describing with shaking them out away from the apiary and the nurse bees won't find the original hive location because they have not been outside of the hive.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 11:28:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 4:06:58 PM EDT
[#32]
What are the two wooden things leaned up against the hive? Are they wintering inner covers?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Blue_Monkey:
Now I need to start painting.

http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/21136/IMG-0698-178345.jpg

ETA: Beer brewing equipment in the background
Either that or slatted racks. I bought both. Can't tell from the pic and I've moved stuff around since.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 1:40:57 PM EDT
[#33]
I think I found her! I opened the hive again and shot some pics of the frames. Here's a frame showing (I think) the queen:

Maybe/maybe not, but she seems to be larger, darker and in the right position to be laying eggs.

There seems to be normal brood in the hive, as well:

But I did see several drones around, mixing with the girls.

What says the hive? Is this the queen or am I wishing too hard?
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 1:50:45 PM EDT
[#34]
I think I found her! I opened the hive again and shot some pics of the frames. Here's a frame showing (I think) the queen:

http://i68.tinypic.com/29ojv3r.jpg

Maybe/maybe not, but she seems to be larger, darker and in the right position to be laying eggs.

There seems to be normal brood in the hive, as well:

http://i63.tinypic.com/2laydlw.jpg

But I did see several drones around, mixing with the girls.

http://i67.tinypic.com/2rzz2hi.jpg

What says the hive? Is this the queen or am I wishing too hard?
View Quote
Hard to tell by the pictures but I suspect that what you are seeing is a drone.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 2:57:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 4:15:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By fish223:
OK, Bee peeps, I need some advice, and I didn't even get started yet

My package is coming in the morning of Friday 4/14, and there is no alternative pickup time for me anywhere nearby.

Problem is, that I have to work the rest of the day, and go out of town that night straight from work, and I cannot possibly get back to the hive before Tuesday morning.

So, I think I have only two choices:

Install the package Friday morning, leaving it in the hive until Tuesday morning unattended.

or

Leave the package as is, uninstalled, and take care of business first thing Tuesday.

Which is better for the bees?

Thanks everyone
View Quote
I would install them and leave them with enough 1:1 sugar syrup to last while you are gone. What type of feeder do you have?
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 5:15:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 6:05:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 6:09:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#39]
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 8:11:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cuttingedge] [#40]

Yes.  I would do exactly this.

you need to reduce your entrance down VERY small.  As small as possible. One bee size small.

Put the entrance on the opposite side of the hive from that feeder.  (do you understand this? If the feeder is on the right, leave the entrance hole on the left.  make sure that feeder is snugged up nice and tight to the hive. I use a little wedge of wood to go under mine to support them and keep them really tight.  

I would rather install them and give them all the help I could than leave them in the package that long.  The only reason I would do that is if it was simply too cold to install.

the question is...release the queen?

Or not?

My choice would probably be to leave the queen caged with the cork out of the candy end so they can release her themselves.  Do you know how to do that?
View Quote
I would not use the boardman feeder right now for two reasons:
1. It is probably not warm enough for the bees to take syrup sitting outside of the hive.
2. I don't think that is going to hold enough syrup for the duration of time that you will be gone.
I would look into a pail feeder or paint cans and set them up inside of an empty hive body on top. You could also use a spacer and use Baggie feeders.
As far as the queen goes, I would pull the cork and let them slowly release her.
As Kitties suggested, reduce the entrance all the way down to the smallest size.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 10:19:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#41]
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 10:41:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cuttingedge] [#42]

Fish, I didn't pay attention that you were in New York.

CE is right.  You're probably still too cold.

Where I am, the Boardman would be fine at this point.  We might get a frost, but it's warm during the day.

I bet that's not so where you are, though I don't know your day/night temps, and CE is probably much more in touch with that.

RE:  #2--I would say that feeding a little is better than not feeding at all, and not sure you are able to set up for any other scenario than the boardman because maybe you don't have any extra equipment.  BUT...that's not accounting for how cold it's going to be where you are.

CE, do you feel like they won't break the ball to feed from the Boardman?  Or do you think the jar will be too cold for it to flow?  Or what?

Fish, if you have so much as an extra shallow (the thing you might have gotten as a honey super)  or the extra deep, (if you bought a two-deep hive) you could feed inside with baggies.  That takes a little finesse though.  Ask if you don't know how.  It's a matter of putting the super on the hive with no frames in the super box, getting a gallon baggie and filling it with syrup, and cutting (very small) slits in the top of the baggie, and setting the baggie (lying flat, with the slits up toward the hive top) on top of the bars of your main hive box.

Ask anything you need to know.  You can make up syrup quickly, and it will be warmer inside that box than outside, if that's the issue where you are.
View Quote
Kitties, Bees will not take syrup unless the syrup is around 50 degrees. With night time temps still being cold in NY, it would take a while for that syrup to heat up enough for the bees to take it. It would stay warmer inside of an empty hive body.

Fish, if I were in your position, I would go to Lowes or Home Depot and get (2) one gallon coated paint cans. They are only a few dollars each. Punch 5 or 6 tiny holes in each lid with the head of a very small nail and fill them up with 1:1 sugar syrup. Invert them directly over the frames and vacuum pressure will prevent them from leaking. Surround this with an empty hive body/ inner cover/ outer cover.  This will give them enough syrup while you are gone.

Edit: put the holes in the center of the lid in a circle.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 10:47:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 11:26:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 11:57:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#45]
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 12:08:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cuttingedge] [#46]
Wow, you guys are awesome, and yet another example of why I love arf so much.

I have two hive bodies, and two supers. Paint cans won't be a problem to obtain.

So if I understand correctly, I'm going to put the package into the lower hive body, with 5 frames.
Queen in her cage, cork out, positioned in the frames area.
Paint cans filled 1:1, holes in the lid, upside down on top of the frames, and another hive body on top, then the inner and outer covers.
Entrance closed down to single bee size hole.
Fingers crossed, and check on them as soon as I get home, about 96 hours later.

Then, remove the empty package, add the leftover frames to the lower hive, refill and replace syrup as needed, and let bees do what bees do.

At some point, the upper hive body gets filled with frames, and then I have two supers to add on also.  I assume that waits for the weather to be consistently warm enough, as well as the bees taking nectar and pollen out in the wild.  

I have fresh pollen in the fridge, as well as pollen substitute, any need to make it available now?

Thanks again for the help!
View Quote
The only thing that I would change is your method of installing the package. I don't like leaving them in the hive as they will build comb inside of it which becomes a mess to deal with. Here is a link on how to install them. Also, if you have a bunch of extra Mason Jars, you could use them instead of paint cans, I have and contuinue to use both. I would feed them until they have drawn out almost all of the frames in both brood boxes. You could also feed them a little to get them started on building comb in the first honey super. This will help them expand quickly and you may even get some honey off of them this year. Be prepared for swarming and to feed again in the fall.

BTW, the nail holes for feeders can be made with the tip of a 4 penny or 6 penny nail. I use a drill bit but don't know the size off hand.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 12:21:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 12:25:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 12:34:09 PM EDT
[#49]

Sounds a lot like surgery  
View Quote
Lol. What type of surgery do you perform?
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 12:36:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 147
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top