Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 147
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 6:44:26 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cuttingedge:

Did you see a lot of wax on the bottom board? If they got robbed, you should see evidence of that. Not only will you see dead bees but you will also see a lot of chewed up wax that looks like sawdust. No matter what happened, I am glad that you caught the queen. Since they are in a Nuc, I would throw an empty body on top and feed the hell out of them with 2:1 syrup in a jar feeder. Make sure that you have a very small entrance and no upper entrance. If need be, my buddy in Orange County will have Queens available for you in late May or early June and if that's too far to travel, I will be happy to get you some from my stock
View Quote
That's what I just did.  Hive top feeder on the nuc with the rescued queen and will be feeding the bejesus out of them.  I'll check for chewed up wax but I've already tipped and carried the bottom board so it may have fallen off.  I'll shoot some photos of the frames later today.  They were all virtually empty - no pollen, no uncapped honey, no capped honey, just some capped brood and not a lot at that.  The queen looked young to me - not that I have a ton of experience looking at queens

Thanks for the offer on the queens.  I'm really not sure what to do at this point as far as ordering packages or nucs for spring.  I learned an ex-coworker of mine got into bees and he jumps in deep with every new hobby.  He offered to help.  

Thanks for all the comments and support.  It's nice to know people are pulling for you.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 6:45:26 AM EDT
[#2]
bump to show

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 3:31:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Did another hive check today. The eighth frame is full of honey, #9 is increasing in size but is all dry, no honey or brood.

Didn't see the queen but I did see a dozen or so larva and capped worker brood. LOTS of worker bees in place!

Also I cleaned out one big- butted spider, it looked like a black widow but I didn't see the red hourglass (I was too busy looking for my sword Sting). I evicted him (her?) with haste.

Got stung once more on the same middle finger as before; I scraped the stinger and venom sac away. But it doesn't look like it's swelling, and the pain has almost gone.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:45:12 AM EDT
[#4]
You may think this is nuts to say but I believe a bee sting or two is good for you. Not twenty but one or two.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:41:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I decided to feed every colony I've got and the two full hives have taken over a gallon of syrup each since Friday!  The new nuc I made with the lonely queen took over a quart but I'm pretty sure that was mostly robbing bees.  I'm feeding them all trying to break the cycle.  At least my bees shouldn't be robbing one another.  I'm thinking there's a dearth going on and temps have been warm so activity has been high.  I started, or perpetuated their robbing mode.  Saturday AM the bees were just circling my yard like little vultures looking for anything that was easy pickings.  

I have more syrup cooling now so I can distribute that later.

I haven't been stung in a while.  Now that I've said it, I'm likely to get popped when feeding them up.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 6:49:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By FrankSymptoms:
Did another hive check today. The eighth frame is full of honey, #9 is increasing in size but is all dry, no honey or brood.

Didn't see the queen but I did see a dozen or so larva and capped worker brood. LOTS of worker bees in place!

Also I cleaned out one big- butted spider, it looked like a black widow but I didn't see the red hourglass (I was too busy looking for my sword Sting). I evicted him (her?) with haste.

Got stung once more on the same middle finger as before; I scraped the stinger and venom sac away. But it doesn't look like it's swelling, and the pain has almost gone.
View Quote

The finger is swole up and turning purple. I checked it online (NOT in GD) and it said a little bruising is normal.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:14:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By passgas55:
You may think this is nuts to say but I believe a bee sting or two is good for you. Not twenty but one or two.
View Quote

Not so nuts.
Google search for Bee Sting Therapy
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:52:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey...what do y'all do with uncapped supers when it's time to remove supers for winter?

Can I extract it, evaporate it off, and use it for winter feed?

Or should I just make more mead with it?
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:35:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:37:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:38:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:39:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 9:24:33 AM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:
Do you have a way to feed that small hive INSIDE the hive?  While reducing the entrance to very small of course.

I don't know if they could defend anything at this point, but any sort of outside feeder is going to cause problems for them.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm a Boardman feeder girl. But only if the hives are strong.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By Hanz:

I decided to feed every colony I've got and the two full hives have taken over a gallon of syrup each since Friday!  The new nuc I made with the lonely queen took over a quart but I'm pretty sure that was mostly robbing bees.  I'm feeding them all trying to break the cycle.  At least my bees shouldn't be robbing one another.  I'm thinking there's a dearth going on and temps have been warm so activity has been high.  I started, or perpetuated their robbing mode.  Saturday AM the bees were just circling my yard like little vultures looking for anything that was easy pickings.  

I haven't been stung in a while.  Now that I've said it, I'm likely to get popped when feeding them up.

Do you have a way to feed that small hive INSIDE the hive?  While reducing the entrance to very small of course.

I don't know if they could defend anything at this point, but any sort of outside feeder is going to cause problems for them.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm a Boardman feeder girl. But only if the hives are strong.
Yes, they are being fed through a top cover that has a hole in it.  Then I have a super and top cover around and over the inverted mason jar just so it's not out in the sun.  I've reduced all my entrances to about 3/4".  Event though, I'm pretty sure bees were just entering the nuc and helping themselves.  There was only a handful of bees along with the queen.  

I'll keep my fingers crossed and keep feeding while praying.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 3:24:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes, they are being fed through a top cover that has a hole in it.  Then I have a super and top cover around and over the inverted mason jar just so it's not out in the sun.  I've reduced all my entrances to about 3/4".  Event though, I'm pretty sure bees were just entering the nuc and helping themselves.  There was only a handful of bees along with the queen.  

View All Quotes

That's a good plan. If it doesn't work out, you can combine them with an existing hive or take solace knowing that you tried to help them as best you could.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:55:49 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm starting to wonder about winterizing my hive. Here's an interesting quote about keeping the hive dry while providing sugar over the winter:

The candy board also worked great to prevent condensation from hitting the bees. Wet cold bees in the wintertime are dead bees.  But any condensation that builds up in the hive gets trapped in the candy board liquefying the sugar temporarily for the bees to eat.
View Quote

Attrib link

Also, another article says that the "bee ball" for Italian bees should be the size of a basketball. Does this include one, two or more frames as well as the bees? I don't think my hive has nearly enough bees to form a ball that size!
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:25:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DUX4LIFE] [#16]
Candy Boards are VERY beneficial.  More than just for the feed purposes.  As the bees move from one side of a frame to the other they usually pass over the top of the frame in a single layer.  At this point they are very susceptible to freezing as they move VERY slowly when they are this cold.  By utilizing a candy board the cluster can go over the frame together up to 1-2" thick for the food.  There are then enough bees to keep each other warm for the trip.

Also this is what happens when you don't remove the candy board in a timely manner.

2 different ways of making the sugar cakes

And 2 smaller cakes instead of 1 large one
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:38:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:13:00 AM EDT
[#18]

Uh...Dux....I think that may be some sort of ancient cyrillic symbols or something.  They might be calling for help.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DUX4LIFE:
Candy Boards are VERY beneficial.  More than just for the feed purposes.  As the bees move from one side of a frame to the other they usually pass over the top of the frame in a single layer.  At this point they are very susceptible to freezing as they move VERY slowly when they are this cold.  By utilizing a candy board the cluster can go over the frame together up to 1-2" thick for the food.  There are then enough bees to keep each other warm for the trip.

Also this is what happens when you don't remove the candy board in a timely manner.
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll248/GOOSER2/20160302_164036_zpswx2x9bi5.jpg

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll248/GOOSER2/20131216_090453_zpsvhi0c8qa.jpg

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll248/GOOSER2/Candy%20board%20in%20use_zps0ucfp8bx.jpg

Uh...Dux....I think that may be some sort of ancient cyrillic symbols or something.  They might be calling for help.

I thought about that Kitty but eventually told them this is America and should just speak English.  They said they were hungry so I ordered them a pizza!!!
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:06:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 7:22:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 7:23:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:28:39 PM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll248/GOOSER2/20160302_164036_zpswx2x9bi5.jpg

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll248/GOOSER2/20131216_090453_zpsvhi0c8qa.jpg

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll248/GOOSER2/Candy%20board%20in%20use_zps0ucfp8bx.jpg

The bee equivalent of Nazca lines?
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:35:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:36:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 2:43:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FrankSymptoms] [#25]
Well, I found out why we don't have dead bees around, at least the ones that die naturally. Lizards and dragonflies get 'em! HobbitWife saw a lizard nail one of my girls as she walked tiredly across the ground. And she saw a dragonfly nab one and carry it away.

I always thought dragonflies were vegetarians, or sometimes could not eat at all. But they like to eat my bees!

Since I started keeping bees, I've learned about some other critters. There are all sorts of wasps around, at least 6 varieties in my back yard.

also, there are mason bees and bumblebees, plus several types of hummingbirds. They don't all like the same stuff my honeybees do, although there is some overlap of target nectar plants.

All of these are pollinators, and it is worth some effort to provide habitat for them. In the case of hummingbirds, many scientists credit the presence of home-owned bird feeders for saving and supporting the remaining populations.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 3:18:22 PM EDT
[#26]
I opened up the hives two weeks ago two put in the varroa treatment and both were robust with a strong population.  Came out yesterday to check on them after a thunderstorm and found that one of them had been routed by yellow jackets.  The carnage was pretty severe.  I had entrance reducers on, but I guess it wasn't enough.  The queen is still there, but I question whether there are enough numbers to get them through the winter.  I may take a few frames from the other hive to boost up the numbers, but I don't want to compromise my good hive.  Damn I hate yellow jackets.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 3:20:10 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

There will be little to no brood this time of the year.  The queen actually slows down egg laying starting in July.  By fall, it is all over and she is settling down for a winter's rest.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 3:28:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DUX4LIFE] [#28]
Robbing this year has been horrible.

This is what I found this morning on one of my hives. Most of the bees on the front porch are dead. there is about 2 times that many on the ground in front of the hive that were dead.

This is what it looked like at the double queen hive during robbing earlier

This appears from a distance to be robbing but it isn't.

http://vid290.photobucket.com/albums/ll248/GOOSER2/20160912_160052_zpsh5ohfkog.mp4

UPS lady doesn't like days like this when they deliver...
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 8:00:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Some of my hives have a different smell to them

Not sure what to think.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 8:52:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By HitmanMonkey:

Not sure what to think.
View Quote

Normal depending on the pollen being brought in.  Also different times of the year they have different amounts of pollen/brood/uncapped honey ect. each has its own smell.  If it is really a stench check for foulbrood.  Most likely not though.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 9:09:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 9:11:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 9:42:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HitmanMonkey] [#33]

What Dux says.  Mine sometimes smelled like a dirty wet sock.  (got some honey that tasted like that one time.  Thankfully never again).  I think it was privet honey, but I'm not sure about that.

Do they stink to you?  I mean, do you wrinkle your nose and not want to smell it?

Foulbrood, I'm told, really stinks.

View All Quotes

Not sure what to think.

Normal depending on the pollen being brought in.  Also different times of the year they have different amounts of pollen/brood/uncapped honey ect. each has its own smell.  If it is really a stench check for foulbrood.  Most likely not though.

What Dux says.  Mine sometimes smelled like a dirty wet sock.  (got some honey that tasted like that one time.  Thankfully never again).  I think it was privet honey, but I'm not sure about that.

Do they stink to you?  I mean, do you wrinkle your nose and not want to smell it?

Well...earlier this year, I screwed up. I did a removal. When I put them in the hive, I had a lot of brood comb. I'm guessing it may have gotten damaged, because when I checked later, there were what looked like maggots, and it smelled pretty awful. And strong.

This kind of reminds me of that, but not nearly as strong. I'm not sure what I'm smelling, but I'm afraid it isn't just old wax

I didn't see any obvious problems with the brood (all the ones I could see looked like they always do).

I really don't want to start burning hives

I don't know if this is relevant, but the bees were extremely pissy today. I've never had them try to get at me like today.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 10:14:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 10:17:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Ugh, I don't like reading this bad news.

When my hives were getting robbed (or robbing) I was watching balls of bees tumble off the 'front porch' of the hives.  It was awful.  

I received some dedicated nuc top feeders today that hold two quarts so I'll be switching those out and filling them tomorrow.  Since I've been feeding the bees have returned to some sort of normalcy.

On a good note, I got word my extractor shipped so I may be able to start processing the honey in a week.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 10:17:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 10:18:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 11:02:51 PM EDT
[#38]

you need to get a master beekeeper in that yard like YESTERDAY.  Get somebody in your apiary who knows how to recognize foulbrood, and do it quickly.

I forgot you said something about maggots, and I shoud've paid attention to that.  I notticed it, then got distracted for some reason. I can't remember why.  

I don't know what's going on, but that's not right, and neither is a bad, bad smell.  

Get some help in there.  Call your county agent and find a beekeeper. Get in touch with a local beekeeper who's been around for years--somebody with a lot of experience--maybe the president of the local bee club or somebody like that. Tell him you're worried that you've got disease and could he come look. (or her..might be a woman)

It may turn out to be nothing, but you are far better safe than sorry.  

Do it.  

View All Quotes

Not sure what to think.

Well...earlier this year, I screwed up. I did a removal. When I put them in the hive, I had a lot of brood comb. I'm guessing it may have gotten damaged, because when I checked later, there were what looked like maggots, and it smelled pretty awful. And strong.

This kind of reminds me of that, but not nearly as strong. I'm not sure what I'm smelling, but I'm afraid it isn't just old wax

I didn't see any obvious problems with the brood (all the ones I could see looked like they always do).

I really don't want to start burning hives

I don't know if this is relevant, but the bees were extremely pissy today. I've never had them try to get at me like today.

you need to get a master beekeeper in that yard like YESTERDAY.  Get somebody in your apiary who knows how to recognize foulbrood, and do it quickly.

I forgot you said something about maggots, and I shoud've paid attention to that.  I notticed it, then got distracted for some reason. I can't remember why.  

I don't know what's going on, but that's not right, and neither is a bad, bad smell.  

Get some help in there.  Call your county agent and find a beekeeper. Get in touch with a local beekeeper who's been around for years--somebody with a lot of experience--maybe the president of the local bee club or somebody like that. Tell him you're worried that you've got disease and could he come look. (or her..might be a woman)

It may turn out to be nothing, but you are far better safe than sorry.  

Do it.  

Wilco. Thanks
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 12:14:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 12:20:23 AM EDT
[#40]

Please let us know when you find somebody and what they say.

Anxious to know what's going on with your bees.
View Quote

I will.

I emailed the local state inspector for help. Hoping for a reply tomorrow.

I was asking on a local beekeeping Facebook page (I know, I know...but I need somebody experienced AND fairly local), and they seem to think the smell could just be from the goldenrod.

Either way, I'm going to get somebody more knowledgeable than I am out here asap.

Updates will follow when I know more.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 1:53:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 7:58:12 AM EDT
[#42]

Good deal.

Fingers crossed that it's just whatever they're bringing in.
View All Quotes

I will.

I was asking on a local beekeeping Facebook page (I know, I know...but I need somebody experienced AND fairly local), and they seem to think the smell could just be from the goldenrod.

Either way, I'm going to get somebody more knowledgeable than I am out here asap.

Good deal.

I Googled goldenrod honey odor.

One guy compares it to old sox; others say it's a pleasant odor. Interesting info.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 7:58:12 AM EDT
[#43]

Good deal.

View All Quotes

I will.

Good deal.

One guy compares it to old sox; others say it's a pleasant odor. Interesting info.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 10:10:00 AM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

All the local beekeepers I've talked to so far say it's probably goldenrod and fermenting bee bread. Still going to get an inspector out here, but I'm not panicking as much as I was last night
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 2:32:02 PM EDT
[#45]

All the local beekeepers I've talked to so far say it's probably goldenrod and fermenting bee bread. Still going to get an inspector out here, but I'm not panicking as much as I was last night
View All Quotes

I guess some folks like the smell of old socks then?  

I'm here hoping it turns out to be nothing bad.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 8:54:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Update:

I've been emailing with the local state apiarist. I told her what is going on and sent her some pictures.

She said she didn't see any signs of foulbrood. I'm due for a varroa treatment, but I have the stuff on the way.

So...yay. No crisis at the moment.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 12:56:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 8:11:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Inspected the hive again. About the same as last week, Bar #8 is maybe 80% filled with comb and most of that comb is filled with honey. #9 has a bit of comb on it still, about the size of a child's hand, no filling.

I checked each bar, unsticking it from the next and from the hive body. I have at least 3 bars full of honey, 3 with a combo of honey and brood.

The first one was almost all brood. But at the bottom of the frame, the comb had "thinned out" and gotten very dark. #1 bar is one of the original 4 bars I got when I started the hive. I wonder what's going on with this? The individual cells are very shallow.

Didn't see the queen this time but there was a couple of larva. Question: If she isn't laying so many eggs this time of year, what does she do-- sit around eating BonBons or something?
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 10:36:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 12:16:01 PM EDT
[#50]

Awww.

I do not understand what's up with all the robbing. I mean, it happens, but I've never heard of so MUCH of it.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 1811guy:
I opened up the hives two weeks ago two put in the varroa treatment and both were robust with a strong population.  Came out yesterday to check on them after a thunderstorm and found that one of them had been routed by yellow jackets.  The carnage was pretty severe.  I had entrance reducers on, but I guess it wasn't enough.  The queen is still there, but I question whether there are enough numbers to get them through the winter.  I may take a few frames from the other hive to boost up the numbers, but I don't want to compromise my good hive.  Damn I hate yellow jackets.

Awww.

I do not understand what's up with all the robbing. I mean, it happens, but I've never heard of so MUCH of it.

It gets worse.  They survived the yellow jacket attack, and I upped their numbers with a frame of brood and some nurse bees from my strong hive.  This last Saturday I was out working near the apiary when I heard a loud buzzing.  I looked over at the hives and saw a cloud of bees.  I knew they weren't mine, and sure enough, my weak hive was being robbed by another colony.  I caught it just before it all started and closed up the hive to prevent any further robbing.  Bees were clustered up all over the hive trying to get in.  I began removing the invaders and within an hour the commotion had subsided and my hive was still intact.  I swear, if this colony somehow survives this fall and overwinters, it will be a miracle.  I really don't want to lose it; the queen has excellent genetics and has produced colonies that have bumper crops of honey the past 3 years.  Everything seems alright again.  I don't need anymore drama with this hive!
Page / 147
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top