Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 147
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 11:39:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Of my 5 hives I lost two over the winter.  It appears that one absconded late in the season because there wasn’t a single bee in the hive but there were plenty of untouched honey stores.  The other one looks like the queen was killed during the yellow jacket attacks we had in November (usually we have enough hard freezes that they aren’t an issue).  There were plenty of bees, but they were all distributed throughout the hive in several small clusters and had obviously frozen in place.  Indicative of no queen due to lack of organization. No varroa issues.

Honestly, I am happy with the survival rate.  We are in a zone 4 ag area so the winters tend to be somewhat harsh.  I am switching from Italians to Carniolans this year as others in the area tell me they overwinter much easier.   The three surviving hives are thriving.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 11:50:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Krombompulos_Michael] [#2]
Double tap
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 12:02:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, just stumbled upon this thread, when scanning the "active" topics.

I'll have my first hives finally ready this week, and the bee's in 2 weeks.

I've been trying since last July to legalize beekeeping in my city. It's a damn slow process, even in a small town of 12k. I was hoping to have it ready for bee deliveries this spring, but it's not to be, so I found some property outside the city limits that is welcoming my hives.

For the most part, most of the proposed ordinance is acceptable. I strongly object to the limit of 2 hives per property, and somewhat object to the city notification of neighbors within 200', with objections that can be filed.  Supposed to be a meeting next week to lay down the exact details, then in theory, off to the city council to vote.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 11:09:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:
So your mentor has passed this equipment to you?

If so, build a fire, take all the frames out, and toss them (two or three at a time) into the fire.

Seriously, you have NO idea how fast and hot beeswax burns.  TWO OR THREE AT A TIME, okay?

The frames are not worth saving.  It's too hard to clean them.  In MY opinion.

Save the boxes only.

Anything you can learn about the hives and the beekeeper who had them, learn that.  Find out why his bees died.

I was in this situation when I used bleach on my hives.  BUT...I let them set for an entire season before I used them.

If there is any hint that foulbrood killed those bees (you will only know this by investigating and asking around) burn the boxes too.  Don't try to save them.  Bleach won't stop it.  I've read research that using a torch to singe the entire inside of the hive body won't stop it always, because they believed it lives in the seams.  (been a long time, but yes, I read that research--not just opinions--this was university research)

In the (more likely) event that something else killed the bees, I'd clean the boxes well and use them.

CE and Dux might have thoughts on this.

ETA:

Is it worth the work?

That depends on your financial situation.  How many boxes are we talking about?

Most of the time, my answer will be no.  Usually it makes more sense to buy new woodenware because your time is worth more than what  you'll save.   But I grew up with Depression-era parents, so "save it" is in my mentality to a degree.  AND....I've been in the position of not having enough money for what I'd like to do, so I am always empathetic to that situation.....the "is it worth it" varies from person to person by a wide range.

ETA2:  Take some pics of the frames with the wax moth damage if you can.  I have wanted to have that here in the thread for a while so people could see what that's like, and understand why I go, "watch out for wax moth!!!!"  all the time, but  I failed to do it when my hives were destroyed.  (It was just too damn painful at the time.)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mr2143:
What are the proper channels for sterilizing equipment? My mentor was given old hives from a neighbor that are several years old. I have not seen the condition of them yet personally, but he said they had dead bees, foundations destroyed by wax moths, etc. I would really like to remove all of the foundations, sterilize everything, and make them useful once again. Is this feasible and worth the work?
So your mentor has passed this equipment to you?

If so, build a fire, take all the frames out, and toss them (two or three at a time) into the fire.

Seriously, you have NO idea how fast and hot beeswax burns.  TWO OR THREE AT A TIME, okay?

The frames are not worth saving.  It's too hard to clean them.  In MY opinion.

Save the boxes only.

Anything you can learn about the hives and the beekeeper who had them, learn that.  Find out why his bees died.

I was in this situation when I used bleach on my hives.  BUT...I let them set for an entire season before I used them.

If there is any hint that foulbrood killed those bees (you will only know this by investigating and asking around) burn the boxes too.  Don't try to save them.  Bleach won't stop it.  I've read research that using a torch to singe the entire inside of the hive body won't stop it always, because they believed it lives in the seams.  (been a long time, but yes, I read that research--not just opinions--this was university research)

In the (more likely) event that something else killed the bees, I'd clean the boxes well and use them.

CE and Dux might have thoughts on this.

ETA:

Is it worth the work?

That depends on your financial situation.  How many boxes are we talking about?

Most of the time, my answer will be no.  Usually it makes more sense to buy new woodenware because your time is worth more than what  you'll save.   But I grew up with Depression-era parents, so "save it" is in my mentality to a degree.  AND....I've been in the position of not having enough money for what I'd like to do, so I am always empathetic to that situation.....the "is it worth it" varies from person to person by a wide range.

ETA2:  Take some pics of the frames with the wax moth damage if you can.  I have wanted to have that here in the thread for a while so people could see what that's like, and understand why I go, "watch out for wax moth!!!!"  all the time, but  I failed to do it when my hives were destroyed.  (It was just too damn painful at the time.)
As a general rule, I don’t condone using used equipment especially if it’s origins are unknown. AFB is nasty and can live for up to 80 years in equipment. Scorching may work but is it worth the risk? Not to me...
Irradiation or Acedic Acid fumigation for Nosema spores is one thing, past that, I wouldn’t risk it. If you have a State Apiarist, I would contact them to see what the protocols are in your area.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 11:13:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By 1811guy:
Of my 5 hives I lost two over the winter.  It appears that one absconded late in the season because there wasn’t a single bee in the hive but there were plenty of untouched honey stores.  The other one looks like the queen was killed during the yellow jacket attacks we had in November (usually we have enough hard freezes that they aren’t an issue).  There were plenty of bees, but they were all distributed throughout the hive in several small clusters and had obviously frozen in place.  Indicative of no queen due to lack of organization. No varroa issues.

Honestly, I am happy with the survival rate.  We are in a zone 4 ag area so the winters tend to be somewhat harsh.  I am switching from Italians to Carniolans this year as others in the area tell me they overwinter much easier.   The three surviving hives are thriving.
View Quote
Actual absconding is very rare. Most likely, it was high virus loads vectored in by Varroa. Sick bees leave the hive to die. Once the number of bees in the hive is reduced enough, they simply cannot stay warm enough by clustering and die during cold spells. This is what I see in >95% of cases where people say “my bees absconded”.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 9:52:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 9:57:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 12:37:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Good luck.  I understand their fears, but they are really unfounded, and I hope you prevail.  Do you have the support of other beekeepers?  An association, maybe?
View Quote
While I have verbal support through the local beekeeping group google group, and a couple of facebook groups (including local citizens), and tentative support from the fire chief (lives in another county, and does beekeeping as a home business-he's also the committee's "expert" when they have questions they want to verify), I've been pretty much on my own with the minor committees. Unfortunately, it's the fire chief who recommended the 2 hive max, never mind that several local communities have rules for up to 6 on land up to 6 acres.

This next committee is a larger one, and I'm not sure any members from the small committee are on it, so there may be another round of education, or I may just get steamrolled. Some local people may show up for this one, I hope.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 6:20:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, got good news finally. Bees from BOTH hives are bringing in pollen! That means (usually) that they have accepted their home, and are moving in.

Craig, my supplier, says that what probably happened was this: The package that absconded had a queen, either virgin or not, in their midst. When they got installed into a hive that had a queen that could not leave (due to being in her cage), they boogied out with their queen.

I opened both hives this morning to install some new syrup. I peeked in and in both hives, they were balled up around the west wall of the hive- which is where I'd installed the queen cages. The older hive's queen has left her cell, and on the newer hive I pulled the plug out of her cage and put a marshmallow in its place.

Got stung on the side of my face and now my right eye looks like it's got a shiner. As my wife's lip is recovering from its bee sting (we now know what REAL "bee stung lips look like!), it looks like we've been fighting for real.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 8:39:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By FrankSymptoms:
Well, got good news finally. Bees from BOTH hives are bringing in pollen! That means (usually) that they have accepted their home, and are moving in.

Craig, my supplier, says that what probably happened was this: The package that absconded had a queen, either virgin or not, in their midst. When they got installed into a hive that had a queen that could not leave (due to being in her cage), they boogied out with their queen.

I opened both hives this morning to install some new syrup. I peeked in and in both hives, they were balled up around the west wall of the hive- which is where I'd installed the queen cages. The older hive's queen has left her cell, and on the newer hive I pulled the plug out of her cage and put a marshmallow in its place.

Got stung on the side of my face and now my right eye looks like it's got a shiner. As my wife's lip is recovering from its bee sting (we now know what REAL "bee stung lips look like!), it looks like we've been fighting for real.
View Quote
You bought packages with queen cages installed in the center or were the queen cages separate? I’m wondering why your supplier doesn’t use queen cage candy and you had to add a marshmallow?
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 8:45:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 8:46:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 8:53:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#13]
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 9:34:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By cuttingedge:

You bought packages with queen cages installed in the center or were the queen cages separate? I’m wondering why your supplier doesn’t use queen cage candy and you had to add a marshmallow?
View Quote
The queens came in their own cage, attached inside the 4-pound package. They had a solid plug and after 4 days we replace the plug with marshmallow. This gives the package bees time to get  used to their new surroundings, and start building comb-- the queen is ripe to start laying and the girls realize this.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 9:41:23 AM EDT
[#15]

The queens came in their own cage, attached inside the 4-pound package. They had a solid plug and after 4 days we replace the plug with marshmallow. This gives the package bees time to get  used to their new surroundings, and start building comb-- the queen is ripe to start laying and the girls realize this.
View Quote
Queen cage candy is a slow release mechanism itself. Why isn’t your supplier using it and instead relying on his clients stuffing marshmallows in the cage?
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 11:40:48 AM EDT
[#16]

Maybe you could offer an amendment in keeping with the "up to six hives on land up to six acres" or something, and say, If you have more than X amount of land, you can have more than two hives.

Just thinking out loud.  Clearly you've managed to get something good going, so you don't need my help.
View Quote
that's the issue. There are almost NO private properties in this city over 1/2 acre. They are arguing that the other local muncipilities often have larger tracts in their borders, and kind of ignoring the fact that some of them just have a straight up 6 hive limit, no tiered sizing. Some do, some don't.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 8:12:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By cuttingedge:

Queen cage candy is a slow release mechanism itself. Why isn’t your supplier using it and instead relying on his clients stuffing marshmallows in the cage?
View Quote
It seems to me that to keep the bees happy, you first install them in their delivery package with the queen. But they get agitated with many changes, from their original hive to the delivery package, then onto the truck, then driven through many miles of various weather, then sold to a buyer who may or may not know what they are doing (like me), then stuffed into a strange new world. (This may make the foundation of a good sci/fi book or movie...)
They need a few days to get settled. During this time if the queen is free, they may abscond (as they did with my hive). But if the queen is caged, the bees have time to calm down; at the same time they are getting used to the queen's* pheromones,saying "I WANT TO LAY EGGS!" So they start building comb. After 4 days of this, the keeper removes the plug and installs a marshmallow, which she and the workers gnaw through overnight. By then some comb has been made and she (hopefully) starts laying.

OR not... maybe I'm FOS. It's happened before.

*who after all they only met at the breeder's facility less than a week ago! They need time to bond.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 12:05:11 AM EDT
[#18]
This morning I opened both hives. BOTH hives are merrily producing comb and honey!! One had at least two almost-complete bars, i.e. they were full out to the sides and almost all the way to the bottom. The other had a comb about 1/3 of the size of a full comb in that hive. And they are eating the syrup I'm providing. Looks like they're here for the long haul.

KwS, you are providing a terrific resource for us! Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 11:58:31 AM EDT
[#19]
I installed my 2 packages yesterday. Will check on Friday for queen release.

No news on the in-town legalization yet. It just never showed up on the agenda.

I may be looking to take over someones hives for her-she admits she doesn't make good decisions on her bees-they keep swarming, but she wants bees in her yard. I'll be talking to her this weekend and trying to find out what she's doing. One big clue is that she said she uses mediums, and "used 4 mediums for each hive".
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 4:56:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By rcav8r:

No news on the in-town legalization yet. It just never showed up on the agenda.
View Quote
So if you're in a public park and encounter bees, can you file a grievance with the parks board?
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 6:22:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 7:09:31 PM EDT
[#22]
7 packages coming this week!  Snow and cold in the forecast.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 8:06:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mr2143] [#23]
Finally was able to suit up and go through some hives with my mentor for the first time. It was all his stuff since mine won’t be ready until May. He said it was a great learning experience since I got to see several queens, Varroa mites, life cycles of the bees, drone cells, etc.- you name it, he walked me through it. It’s been such a blessing meeting this guy. I got even more excited to start up the hobby once I finished up with him yesterday.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 9:08:33 PM EDT
[#24]
I think Sometimes packages abscond because they are what is called an artificial swarm.  3# of bees are poured into a cage, not always from the same hive and an unfamiliar queen is added into the midst.  All they can think of is getting out of this cage and going back home.  I have seen this several ties when the bees were in the cage for a shorter time frame.  Usually if they are caged for a week this doesn't happen.  We had a supplier cage his packages in Oklahoma on a Wednesday and deliver them on Saturday.  Many customers reported absconding on that batch.  I had 1-2 packages that I watched leave,  They flew in a large swarm and actually mixed in with 2 other packages I had just hived.  I just shook a few of the frames back into the nearly empty box and this time they stayed.  I think it is dependent on the bees and their age when they decide to stay or leave.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 11:38:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 11:39:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#26]
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 11:41:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 10:49:17 AM EDT
[#28]

That doesn't sound like enough space for a mature hive at all.  Sounds like she does not add any space for them as they grow...just sticks them in there and leaves them.
View Quote
Exactly my thinking.
She's had swarms in both her first years, neither survived the winter.
She had a stack of 5 mediums that she said she used last year. Still plenty of honey in many of the frames. Barring evidence of mites or other pests, I'd say yes, she didn't give them enough room.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 11:57:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By DUX4LIFE:
I think Sometimes packages abscond because they are what is called an artificial swarm.  3# of bees are poured into a cage, not always from the same hive and an unfamiliar queen is added into the midst.  All they can think of is getting out of this cage and going back home.  I have seen this several ties when the bees were in the cage for a shorter time frame.  Usually if they are caged for a week this doesn't happen.  We had a supplier cage his packages in Oklahoma on a Wednesday and deliver them on Saturday.  Many customers reported absconding on that batch.  I had 1-2 packages that I watched leave,  They flew in a large swarm and actually mixed in with 2 other packages I had just hived.  I just shook a few of the frames back into the nearly empty box and this time they stayed.  I think it is dependent on the bees and their age when they decide to stay or leave.
View Quote
Agreed and there are also other things that I have seen contribute to packages absconding. I know of more than a few people that had multiple packages abscond when they were installed in a hive with an opened screened bottom board. The Bees just don’t seem to like that.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 3:04:14 PM EDT
[#30]
That's a lotta bees to be babysittin'!!!!

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BustinCaps:
7 packages coming this week!  Snow and cold in the forecast.
That's a lotta bees to be babysittin'!!!!

They are here in my garage. It’s snowing. Lol
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 5:33:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 5:35:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 6:08:03 PM EDT
[#33]
You know how to feed them to help hold them?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BustinCaps:

They are here in my garage. It’s snowing. Lol
You know how to feed them to help hold them?
Yes.  They still have half cans of syrup, roughly.  I sprayed them with 1:1, and smushed some fondant in through the holes for them to work on.  They are in my heated garage at 50 degrees.

If I don’t get them installed Wednesday where they belong, im installing them in the garage with screened entrances.  I have screen over the inner covers for this so I can feed without any escapes.  Once strapped, I’ll be good for hauling them out to location when the weather is better.

At least that’s what I’ve put together as a plan so far...
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 7:04:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By DUX4LIFE:
View Quote
Dux, can you tell me if they were a hybrid bee type? The bees delivered to me were bred somewhere in Canada, and produced & sold in California, then trucked back to NM. These were the bees that took off from my first batch this year. (My supplier made it good for me; he thinks there was a stray queen in the batch that took off.)
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 7:08:13 PM EDT
[#35]

Good point.  When you buy a package, you're buying "a bunch of bees."

Not a family of bees.  Not a hive of bees.

Just a bunch of bees.
View Quote
My supplier says that this is a good reason to keep the queen caged for 4 days before replacing the plug with a candy plug (marshmallow in my case). Everyone gets used to everyone's odor, the smell a newly mated queen who wants to lay eggs; then they build comb like there's no tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 8:40:30 PM EDT
[#36]

Dux, can you tell me if they were a hybrid bee type? The bees delivered to me were bred somewhere in Canada, and produced & sold in California, then trucked back to NM. These were the bees that took off from my first batch this year. (My supplier made it good for me; he thinks there was a stray queen in the batch that took off.)
View Quote
Those are most likely Sakatraz from Oliverez. They are Cells and Virgins shipped from the breeder Albert Robertson in Canada and are then open mated in California. This enables them to ship queens earlier.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 12:03:42 AM EDT
[#37]

View Quote
I have no idea.  He listed them as ITALIAN.  But anymore I think that is just a catchall name.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 12:29:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Got a good one last night. 7ft off the ground, text book easy.

I stole a frame with drawn comb and honey from my other hive and gave it them. Keep your fingers crossed.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 10:50:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 10:53:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 10:54:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 11:57:56 PM EDT
[#42]
She's already "with" them (in her cage) during the transition to you, so why four MORE days?
View Quote
They are also in a large truck, filled with several millions of bees, all confused, angry, scared, etc. Heck, if it was up to me, they'd each get a weekend off at a spa.

I've inadvertently done it both ways. In my first hive (the one that didn't abscond), I  replaced the permanent plug with a marshmallow as soon as they arrived (by advice of another experienced beekeeper). In the second hive (containing the replacement package) I waited 4 days to do so. They show essentially no difference in behavior.
I haven't done a "deep" inspection yet, I wanted to wait a week before I disturbed them beyond replacing their syrup. Tomorrow or Friday I'll open the hive and check them bar by bar. The last time I made any check, they already had a substantial amount of comb made.

They haven't been using much syrup; they're already bringing home pollen, albeit in small quantities. Seems to me that you (KwS) said that a new package will see a disruption in their normal life cycle and don't have many foragers, and won't for a while. But as I said, they're bringing home pollen. And they're doing a lot of orientation flights, round and round the hive. These flights IMO are only performed by new foragers.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 9:37:22 AM EDT
[#43]
I’m installing today while the snow flies.  The cooler temps seem to keep flying down.  Those that do fly go out the door, hit the cold air and fall within a short distance. Kinda sad.

The screen and staple/strap method is working well.  I can just haul the hives out, place on stands, pull screens and they can party.

I have drawn comb, so each box is getting some drawn comb with honey/pollen.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 11:19:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#44]
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 12:09:36 PM EDT
[#45]

A new package will build wax FAST--faster than you can imagine
View Quote
This. Checking for queen release last friday (3 days since installation), there was already some good chunks of burr comb. Did not take the time to inspect the frames, since it was 40 degrees and about to rain again, but I'm sure they were fixing up the drawn comb already.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 12:40:49 PM EDT
[#46]
I made my first thorough inspection of my hives today, with mixed results.

The hive in the box that had absconded looks very healthy. It has 6 almost-complete frames of honey. There are 5 or 6 drone cells, all neatly laid in rows,  no queen cells, and lots of capped and uncapped brood. There were two frames joined with burr comb but these were almost all larva, so I didn't harvest them. This is the second hive, which had been active a few days less than the first so they've had less time to develop, yet as I said, they look very healthy.

The first hive looks less healthy. It had 8 almost-complete bars. There were several drone cells (maybe 15-20), two empty queen cells, very little brood. Lots of honey and bee bread though. I'll give them another week to produce some brood before I pass judgement.

Each hive takes about 2 cups of 1:1 syrup in 3 days.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 9:35:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 3:51:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Checked my hives today, post queen check.

Not much outside activity, probably due to overcast skies. Pretty busy inside though. Hive #1, I couldn't see any eggs or brood, didn't want to shake the bees off for a closer look yet. Some capped honey. Will make sure next week.

Hive #2 Easy to see capped brood and honey, so definitely a laying queen in there somewhere.

Lots of pollen patty left in both boxes. Replenished syrup and covered up.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 9:06:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 9:08:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 147
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top