Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 147
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 12:33:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Next week I am going to finish getting the nucs in the over winter setup.  I will take pics for you guys and give a short write up as I will have a week off after Tuesday.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 3:44:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 3:57:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cuttingedge] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:
When you make your own winter patties, do you put Honey Bee Healthy in them?

I've heard good things about that stuff, but at least one member--even on here, I think--did not like using it.

Any thoughts?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cuttingedge:

Correct, those are Dadants Winter Patties. Unlike Mann Lake winter patties, these have some Honey Bee Healthy in them. My bees seem to like them. I am only using up what I have left but predominately use Candy. For Pollen Patties I have been using Mann Lake Bee Pro Pollen Patties. This year I plan on using natural pollen and sugar syrup to make my own. We shall see how that goes .
When you make your own winter patties, do you put Honey Bee Healthy in them?

I've heard good things about that stuff, but at least one member--even on here, I think--did not like using it.

Any thoughts?
When I make Candy for them I add a very small amount of HBH. I use it mostly as a feeding stimulant as it definitely attracts the bees. There are some that believe that essential oils are beneficial and those that think they are a very bad idea and can mess with the bees guts.
I have not seen any negative effects so I will continue to use it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 3:58:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By DUX4LIFE:
Next week I am going to finish getting the nucs in the over winter setup.  I will take pics for you guys and give a short write up as I will have a week off after Tuesday.
View Quote
Looking forward to your write up.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 9:42:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 9:56:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 11:03:00 AM EDT
[#7]
KwS, your thread has been an invaluable resource to me and to many others. Thanks for hosting it!  You may take pride in hosting this thread!
By the title I guess that there had been a lot of posts about beekeeping, long before I got interested.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 11:31:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 11:45:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for creating this thread. I have learned and enjoyed reading about one of nature's most diligent worker.
Here is my humble contribution: My honey bee experience was as an observer/student until last year when another family member and I started a group of hives. Year one was a total loss, but we remained undeterred, joined a local club and promised better luck next time. Year two was a terrific success. We are now getting ready for hive splitting rather than honey collection next year. Year two bonus was a gifted rescue hive. The feral hive was in a large decayed tree trunk. (I estimate the trunk was 6+ foot long and 3 feet in circumference.)  Wow, what a huge challenge and opportunity this was. I dedicated three after work sessions and one full day. I was completely guessing if I would be successful or not. The tree trunk seemed to be built like a tank. Most of the work in transferring bees, comb, brood, and honey was done by hand. I realized my efforts were positive after seeing a large ball of bees surrounding one bee (the Queen, yes). My additional work made minor improvements since honey robbing is so prevalent right now. As of this point, we have another colony. They are extremely gentle group even when a chainsaw had to employed. I hope to upload pictures if Santa gives me a team membership. I need to add onto the list. Again thanks...
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 5:43:59 AM EDT
[#10]
I realized my efforts were positive after seeing a large ball of bees surrounding one bee (the Queen, yes).
View Quote
Q_S, what a great opportunity and story this was! Did you get any pics?
Also, what time of year was this? I wasn't aware that they "balled" around the queen except to keep her warm.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 11:25:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 2:49:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FrankSymptoms] [#12]
Here's an interesting article HobbitWife sent me. It seems that there's a research group supported by Attra, which is experimenting with growing edible mushrooms for bee health!

In 2014, Paul Stamets teamed up with the Dr. Steve Sheppard, entomologist and head of the Washington State University APIS Molecular Systematics Laboratory to investigate the potential benefits of exposing honey bees to certain species of fungi. In the initial set of experiments, fungal extracts were fed to bees to determine their effects. The preliminary results suggest that extracts of certain polypore mushrooms can increase worker bee longevity and reduce viral burden.
View Quote
http://www.fungi.com/blog/items/bee-friendly-research-update-3.html
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 12:16:51 PM EDT
[#13]
@DUX4LIFE

Link Posted: 11/27/2017 2:03:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 11:36:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Took some pics today as I moved a few Nucs into it.  Will get the rest tomorrow.  Patience is a virtue and I'm being lazy so keep at it and I will get it done!!!
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 10:08:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DUX4LIFE] [#16]
Here is how I started overwintering my nucs.  This system was designed by a friend over a 7 year period and is still work in progress. First you need a ventilated base to set the double box on.  I used a candy board that I placed upside down.  I placed it on a piece of luan.  If I had a piece of blue foam I would have put that down first.  This keeps the bottom nucs off of the cold concrete.  The slot at the bottom gives them air to circulate upwards and pull out the moist air.Attachment Attached File

Next I add the bottom divided box.  This is a regular box with a slot cut in each end.  A piece of luan is slid into the slot creating two 5 frame sides.  On the next generation of this item he made the boxes 1/2" wider as it's pretty tight. I used a 1/8" composite panel on mine and feel I may have enough room with the standard dimension deep brood box.Attachment Attached File

5 frames from your nuc are inserted on each side of the divider.  Then the screen top is placed on each side of the divider.  This top keeps the 2 nucs seperate.  It also has a provision for a jar feeder and the entrance for the nuc.
Attachment Attached File

On top of the screens my friend places a sheet of landscaping cloth.  I didn't used it last year but am trying it this year. It aids in allowing the stack to breath a little.
Attachment Attached File

Another divided brood box is then added along with frames, screens, and cloth.  I try to go no higher than 5-6 boxes tall.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 10:23:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Here are some of my Nuc frames I installed.Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Notice the queen in this pic.  
The bottom box I left the divider out as it was a double box nuc.  The 2nd box in the stack were 2 very strong nucs.  Box 3 and 4 have 4 very weak nucs I don't expect to get over 50% success out of them.  I had to combine 2 together as one was queenless.  Box 5 will have 2 more strong nucs. I will get more pics of the complete stack along with the lids.  Also, detailed parts photos will be coming along also.
I pulled out my candy boards and installed some of them this week.  Not sure if I am going to make cakes for each hive or just make a dozen or so and slide them in when the stores get light.
Repainted 14 or so nuc boxes blue this week.  I think having 50+ white nuc boxes 6" apart is not good.  So I leased 2 acres, planted clover in it and spread them out.  After seeing how nice CE's setup is i felt jealous.  Now I have white, blue, and yellow nuc boxes.  All spread out about 12" apart.  Need to add another color.  Maybe a peach or pastel green next.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 10:27:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DUX4LIFE] [#18]
I think I am going to try something different this year also.  Instead of trying to get up to 100 nuc boxes I am going to try out 8 frame hives as nucs.  The idea is that when you sell a nuc you pull 5 frames out of the 8 frame hive leaving 3 frames of bees to start over.  You can simply ad a queen, queen cell, or let them make a queen(provided there is enough bees) and the nuc will start over.  I also may try to use queen castles as nuc boxes.  The overwintering setup used in the winter can double as queen castles in the summer.

OK, I am tired of typing so thats it for a few days.  I will get pics up shortly, probably after being pushed by CE and pulled by KWS. I am going to the local procrastinators anonymous meeting.  Maybe next week if I can find the time. LOL
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 11:02:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cuttingedge] [#19]
Very cool! I hope I am not pushing you too hard.
That is a nice set-up. It is very similar to what I use.
My divider boards are 3/4" pine which only allows for four frames per side. The nice thing about that is two four frame Nucs stack nicely on top. The not so nice thing is having to use 4 frame Nuc boxes. I have since made a bunch of Luan dividers so that I can use a system more like what you describe. As far as colors go, I feel that it definitely helps with virgin queens finding their way home after mating flights. All of my new mating nucs and mini mating nucs are painted different colors and will have entrances oriented in different directions to help them identify where they came from.
All of my new boxes have cuts made to facilitate 3 divider boards so that I can use them as regular brood boxes, divided brood boxes or queen castles. When making these, you have to be careful to make all of the compartments very tight as if one side smells a queen, they may not accept their own. My mentor uses Vaseline in all of the grooves so that they don't propolis the dividers in making them difficult to remove.
I look forward to more pics and info and enjoy seeing your perspective.
Btw, nice looking queen!
Enjoy your Meeting
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 11:10:27 PM EDT
[#20]
One thing that I forgot to mention is having the Luan divider and 5 frames per side makes things very tight. I Will use them like you for over wintering but it certainly Makes it much easier to roll a queen. Just something to keep in mind.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 2:04:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#21]
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 11:25:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Have y'all tried the different "shapes" on the front of the hive to help the bees orient to their own hive?

I tried that for a couple of years.  Honestly I could not see that it made much difference in the drift of worker bees to the easternmost hive. (which was what I was seeing before I tried the wood cutout shapes)  I did paint each a different color.

ETA: Meant to say, Dux, she's a pretty queen. Is she one you raised?
View All Quotes
Very cool! I hope I am not pushing you too hard.
That is a nice set-up. It is very similar to what I use.
My divider boards are 3/4" pine which only allows for four frames per side. The nice thing about that is two four frame Nucs stack nicely on top. The not so nice thing is having to use 4 frame Nuc boxes. I have since made a bunch of Luan dividers so that I can use a system more like what you describe. As far as colors go, I feel that it definitely helps with virgin queens finding their way home after mating flights. All of my new mating nucs and mini mating nucs are painted different colors and will have entrances oriented in different directions to help them identify where they came from.
All of my new boxes have cuts made to facilitate 3 divider boards so that I can use them as regular brood boxes, divided brood boxes or queen castles. When making these, you have to be careful to make all of the compartments very tight as if one side smells a queen, they may not accept their own. My mentor uses Vaseline in all of the grooves so that they don't propolis the dividers in making them difficult to remove.
I look forward to more pics and info and enjoy seeing your perspective.
Btw, nice looking queen!
Enjoy your Meeting
Have y'all tried the different "shapes" on the front of the hive to help the bees orient to their own hive?

I tried that for a couple of years.  Honestly I could not see that it made much difference in the drift of worker bees to the easternmost hive. (which was what I was seeing before I tried the wood cutout shapes)  I did paint each a different color.

ETA: Meant to say, Dux, she's a pretty queen. Is she one you raised?
I have not experimented with different shapes. Most of my hives are different colors but all of my Nucs are one color. I do suffer from some drift at times but if I catch it, I will move the weaker hive to a stronger colonies location. That usually more than makes up for any drift from a hive.
For queen rearing operations, all of my mating Nucs are painted one of 6 colors. They are oriented in a circle with the entrances facing outward. I do it in blocks of 6 mating Nucs all over my property. Virgin Queens have a hard enough battle to overcome getting home. It’s a good idea to make it as easy as possible for them to recognize the hive that they came from. This is fairly easy to accomplish with smaller hives but moving around Queen Castles and 10 frame hives is not fun. This years mating Nucs consist of divided 5 frame Nucs that take two frames per side. I also have about 10 Queen Castles to use which are divided 10 frame hive bodies again housing two deep frames per compartment. I have learned that when having to find queens on a weekly basis it is much easier to use smaller frames. For this reason, I made custom mating Nucs with half frames and use the Apidea polystyrene mating Nucs. The Apideas have 3 VERY small frames which makes finding queens very easy. I will probably switch to them almost exclusively as they only need a cup of bees to get started. The other options are much more resource heavy. I now have 40 of the Apideas that just got painted and prepped for next season.
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 10:50:08 PM EDT
[#23]
2nd update on wild hive recovery: I completed a hive check yesterday finding a foul odor from the hive area. The bees were active making comb on plastic foundation frames. I figured out what the smell was, and remedied the issue. I took out the saw dust infused honey material. I discovered wax moths already attacking the sugar product. I disposed of the substance later the same evening. Yesterday I watched copious amounts of robber bees attempting the trade craft. The simple sugar with essential oils has been a huge hit. They have access to it and have now really started consuming it now. I monitored the hive today at various times. The robbing has almost stopped? The hive seemed very busy, but not panicking. I'm impressed with how gentle this group is. Hopefully, we can build them up to split or harvest honey next spring. Next week, I will be planting more beneficial flowers in hopes of building a more food sources and viewing areas for me or others. More to follow later on. QS
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 3:24:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Has anyone else experienced brittle honeycomb? The comb in my deceased hive has become very brittle and non-waxlike; it crumbles easily.
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 10:39:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By FrankSymptoms:
Has anyone else experienced brittle honeycomb? The comb in my deceased hive has become very brittle and non-waxlike; it crumbles easily.
View Quote
That happens as the comb ages.
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 10:54:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#26]
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 11:02:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 9:29:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cuttingedge] [#28]
Yes, it's a better idea to move the hive to handle worker drift.

This different shape/different color wood pieces was an idea I'd heard at a bee school somewhere, and decided I would try it to avoid having to shift the entire hives around.

NOW when I go back into it, I'll go there knowing that I need to be able to move those hives back and forth, because drift happens.   I'm still searching for a way to avoid drift in a bee yard with multiple hives.  I like your circle idea, but hate giving up the "back of hive" approach when I just want to go down and have a quick look.
View All Quotes

I have not experimented with different shapes. Most of my hives are different colors but all of my Nucs are one color. I do suffer from some drift at times but if I catch it, I will move the weaker hive to a stronger colonies location. That usually more than makes up for any drift from a hive.
For queen rearing operations, all of my mating Nucs are painted one of 6 colors. They are oriented in a circle with the entrances facing outward. I do it in blocks of 6 mating Nucs all over my property. Virgin Queens have a hard enough battle to overcome getting home. It’s a good idea to make it as easy as possible for them to recognize the hive that they came from. This is fairly easy to accomplish with smaller hives but moving around Queen Castles and 10 frame hives is not fun. This years mating Nucs consist of divided 5 frame Nucs that take two frames per side. I also have about 10 Queen Castles to use which are divided 10 frame hive bodies again housing two deep frames per compartment. I have learned that when having to find queens on a weekly basis it is much easier to use smaller frames. For this reason, I made custom mating Nucs with half frames and use the Apidea polystyrene mating Nucs. The Apideas have 3 VERY small frames which makes finding queens very easy. I will probably switch to them almost exclusively as they only need a cup of bees to get started. The other options are much more resource heavy. I now have 40 of the Apideas that just got painted and prepped for next season.
Yes, it's a better idea to move the hive to handle worker drift.

This different shape/different color wood pieces was an idea I'd heard at a bee school somewhere, and decided I would try it to avoid having to shift the entire hives around.

NOW when I go back into it, I'll go there knowing that I need to be able to move those hives back and forth, because drift happens.   I'm still searching for a way to avoid drift in a bee yard with multiple hives.  I like your circle idea, but hate giving up the "back of hive" approach when I just want to go down and have a quick look.
As I stated, I only do the circle for my mating Nucs. For my larger hives, I have not been too concerned with drift but it certainly happens. The set-up in my second yard is going to be different and once I get that set-up, I will be changing my home yard around as well. The new set-up will have hives setup on 3 sides and have all of the entrances facing inward. This will allow for me to have access to the back as well as the front. This would allow me to mow around all of the hives both front and back and will allow me to smoke a group of hives from the front quickly before inspection.
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 1:33:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 11:01:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Interesting.  How big will your "u" shape be?  I mean how far apart will the hives be front to front?

You must have seen a yard set up that way and liked it I'm guessing.
View All Quotes

As I stated, I only do the circle for my mating Nucs. For my larger hives, I have not been too concerned with drift but it certainly happens. The set-up in my second yard is going to be different and once I get that set-up, I will be changing my home yard around as well. The new set-up will have hives setup on 3 sides and have all of the entrances facing inward. This will allow for me to have access to the back as well as the front. This would allow me to mow around all of the hives both front and back and will allow me to smoke a group of hives from the front quickly before inspection.
Interesting.  How big will your "u" shape be?  I mean how far apart will the hives be front to front?

You must have seen a yard set up that way and liked it I'm guessing.
The hives set front to front will be approximately 25 feet apart. I have 2 empty fields that I can do this in so I am not really limited for space. My mentor suggested it last season as that has always been his preferred method of setting up hives. His system was a little different because he was restricted to pallets for pollination because the bees had to be moved frequently. Mine will be placed on hive stands that accommodate two full sized hives each. these are easily managed and moved.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 4:43:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Wow, I just looked back at the start of this thread.

So many interested people who posted often, who have dropped off the map and not posted anywhere on the forum for a couple of years.

Hoping they're okay.
View Quote
Beekeeping isn't for everyone; you either love doing it, or you don't.  I have seen plenty of people try it for a year or two, lose their hives, become discouraged and abandon it.  I find it too interesting not to continue to pursue.  It's filled with plenty of setbacks, but there are also lots of those winning moments that make it worthwhile: capturing a swarm, bumper crops of honey, nursing a failing hive back to health, the smiles on your kids faces as they watch the activity of a busy hive on a warm spring day, the never ending list of things you can learn about beekeeping.

That or they just quit posting on this thread.  I'm hit or miss, but I enjoy reading about what everyone else is doing.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 8:32:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 8:34:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 11:59:42 PM EDT
[#34]

Oh that's MUCH further apart than I had imagined.    Wish I could visit your bee yard someday and learn from what you are doing.
View Quote
Come on up! I’m sure that we can learn a great deal from  each other.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 9:02:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: quiet_student] [#35]
Hi all, I was told about one of the hives may have swarmed. I checked late in the evening and well after sunset the same day. All hives seemed present. Yesterday I spent time on bee hive care. This included observing all the hives for almost an hour while sitting in a lawn chair in the shade, as well as washing/down all the commonly used tools with soap and water. (This cleaning is supposed to reduce the amount of alarm pharmone on them. We will see...) Each hive mirrored a busy airport. Two of the hives could match the Atlanta site with arrivals and departures LOL.
Here a few questions I have: does anyone use a monitoring system or form when inspecting their hives? Any fans or issues with adding Pro Health in the sugar water of a small/weak hive?
Today I am going shopping for honey bee friendly plants. This will be in an attempt to develop local food sources nearby. Later...

Edited for grammar
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 9:32:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By quiet_student:
Hi all, I was told about one of the hives may have swarmed. I checked late in the evening and well after sunset the same day. All hives seemed present. Yesterday I spent time on bee hive care. This included observing all the hives for almost an hour while sitting in a lawn chair in the shade, as well as washing/down all the commonly used tools with soap and water. (This cleaning is supposed to reduce the amount of alarm pharmone on them. We will see...) Each hive mirrored a busy airport. Two of the hives could match the Atlanta site with arrivals and departures LOL.
Here a few questions I have: does anyone use a monitoring system or form when inspecting their hives? Any fans or issues with adding Pro Health in the sugar water of a small/weak hive?
Today I am going shopping for honey bee friendly plants. This will be in an attempt to develop local food sources nearby. Later...

Edited for grammar
View Quote
I wash tools with alcohol and a 3m scrub pad.
As far as adding Pro Health or HBH to syrup, it can often set off robbing. I would not do it if you have a weak hive as they are going to have trouble defending themselves.
I only use HBH when I open feed for the first time. The scent makes the feed easy to find. I have found that placing a used Queen excluder near my feeding station does the same thing. There are also MANY people that think using essential oils is bad for the bees. I am not one of them.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 11:01:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#37]
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 2:18:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cuttingedge] [#38]
I kept a notebook with sections separated for each hive, so I could make notes on each one.

I always kept the Date adn time of day, weather conditions, state of the hive at the time and whether it was better worse or same as last inspection, my observations on number of bees, brood, stores, etc, and what I am doing in the hive that day.  You think you will remember what you did and when you did it, but you will not.  Especially as the number of hives increases.

ETA:  I kept a note of the "mood" of the bees.

If they were pissy, or pissier than usual, that was important, especially if the trend continued, because it would mean something was wrong.

With the weather, I made a note of barometric pressure because bees are so sensitive to that.

At one point I noticed that my bees were ALWAYS pissy, then I looked back and I had been checking, every time, when the pressure was dropping. I switched that up, and ta-da! My bees were fine.
View All Quotes

Edited for grammar
I kept a notebook with sections separated for each hive, so I could make notes on each one.

I always kept the Date adn time of day, weather conditions, state of the hive at the time and whether it was better worse or same as last inspection, my observations on number of bees, brood, stores, etc, and what I am doing in the hive that day.  You think you will remember what you did and when you did it, but you will not.  Especially as the number of hives increases.

ETA:  I kept a note of the "mood" of the bees.

If they were pissy, or pissier than usual, that was important, especially if the trend continued, because it would mean something was wrong.

With the weather, I made a note of barometric pressure because bees are so sensitive to that.

At one point I noticed that my bees were ALWAYS pissy, then I looked back and I had been checking, every time, when the pressure was dropping. I switched that up, and ta-da! My bees were fine.
Good info, I forgot to mention that I use a hive inspection sheet. I also number my hives with cattle tags to keep track of them. I used to write on the inside of the outer cover but quickly ran out of room. Now I make simple notes on the outside of the cover and every hive gets a sheet when I do inspections. I upload the information so that I can view/ print them as needed. I am traveling and don’t have access to my computer but will post a downloadable version once I get home. It is in excel so you should be able to change it however you see fit.
You will notice the numbered yellow tags on each hive, those are the cattle tags.

Link Posted: 12/5/2017 3:30:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: quiet_student] [#39]
Wow, the starting point for the hive notebook is great! The cattle tag idea is genius too! I will do more research before using Pro Health again and instead use simple sugar and essential oils (lemongrass). Thanks both of those tips.

On a different note, we struck out on purchasing the specific beneficial plants for pollinators today. We spent money on other plants. I may have to cut seedlings and start from scratch.
Again thanks...
Edit icon
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 4:39:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Wow, the starting point for the hive notebook is great! The cattle tag idea is genius too! I will do more research before using Pro Health again and instead use simple sugar and essential oils (lemongrass). Thanks both of those tips.

On a different note, we struck out on purchasing the specific beneficial plants for pollinators today. We spent money on other plants. I may have to cut seedlings and start from scratch.
Again thanks...
Edit icon
View Quote
I am not saying that I wouldn’t use the Pro Health. I would just be careful if you have a weaker hive. If your hives are relatively close in strength, use it but make sure that you feed all of them at the same time. Don’t use entrance feeders.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 12:21:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 9:18:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Today was the last day in the 40’s for us for a while so I did a quick inspection of all of the hives to determine if they needed more candy. Some have eaten through lots of candy/ winter patties and some have not. I added candy as necessary. It appears that I lost one double Nuc. I did not go through the hives so they could have been down in the bottom box. All of the rest seemed really strong and healthy. My Single Brood Chamber hives are on fire. They have what appears to be the largest clusters. All of my divided Nucs are also doing really well.
Here are some pics of a few nucleus hives.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 10:04:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mr2143] [#43]
I’ve considered getting into beekeeping for a few years now, and I’m thinking about starting in the spring. I would like to put them at the property we purchased a few months ago. We’re not living there right now but usually pass by about once a week. From what I’ve read, I think it’s feasible if that’s the case. It all depends on how much research time I have over the next month, so I can order supplies for the spring if I opt to do so.

ETA: A local beekeeper I’ve contacted orders supplies for customers through this website: http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 2:54:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#44]
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 2:57:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 4:07:18 PM EDT
[#46]
There are a number of bee supply houses, and I've ordered mainly from three of them.

Other folks may well have a different take on it, but I found the following in my experience:

Walter T Kelley has great woodenware for the money.  But I can drive there and pick it up, so that saves a lot on shipping.  They also have great frame building/wiring tools, some of which are unique to them.  There are always extra fasteners included.

I have liked everything I ordered from Dadant.--This has been mostly feeders, hive tools, jackets/veils, marking pens, queen catchers--that sort of equipment.

I like Brushy Mountains wax because at the time, they were offering small cell wax, which was a little hard to find. (Small Cell use is a method of mite control, and I've talked about it at length in this thread.  Some folks swear by it, others not, much like all of beekeeping--so dont' let this discussion of THAT distract you.)  I'm just saying I ordered more of the foundation products, etc, from them.   I may be alone in not loving their woodenware.  A lot of it was cedar, but I needed pipe clamps to straighten it to get it to fit together, and had I not had those tools,  I would have had a real problem.  I'll take the pine, paint it carefully, and have it straight out of the box, over the better quality wood with less careful milling.  HOWEVER THAT WAS ONLY ONE PERSON's experience.  Brushy Mountain is a good company, and their service on the phone has been the best of any company I've seen.

There are other companies out there.  Maybe some of the folks here will chime in with what they like best.  Several folk make their own frames/hive bodies, etc.  It's not actually hard, if you work with wood.  You just have to be really careful with the sizing.  Bee Space is a very important concept, which you will learn about, and you need to take care very precise measurements to maintain that.

If you've got somebody helping you, it pays to let them help you and follow their lead, at least at first.

Two things are far more important than any choice of equipment or where you get it:

1-A local beekeeping club/association--take part regularly and learn.  There are bee schools from January-May.  Go to them.  They are cheap and you will learn a head full, and form a network of helpful people.

2-A beekeeping mentor--You will get this by forming friendships within the beekeeping circles.  This person will take you on your first swarm collection so you can watch him/her do a cutout.  They'll meet you when you get your first call for a swarm of bees you need to capture out of a tree.   They''ll loan you equipment.  They might even give you extra swarms, if they've got plenty and/or feel generous.  You will learn from them, and will remember this learning for the rest of your life.

Beekeeping science can be learned from a book.   But the art of it--the skill of it--is still most often passed one beekeeper to another.  The best beekeepers learn from other beekeepers, and in particular, ones in your area/region, will have details you'll need to know.  Every microclimate is a little different for bees, same as for plants.

Hope you'll share your journey with us here!
View Quote
Thanks for the info! I tried to reach out to one beekeeper’s association but kept getting a failure return on the emails I sent. I know there is another organization that’s perhaps more active that I can reach out to as well.

The shop owner not far from here seems more than willing to offer advice and pointers once I get into it. Unfortunately, I don’t have friends of family that do it which would ease the transition I’m sure. It’s nice having a mentor on speed dial.

The whole hobby is actually very intimidating from a beginner’s standpoint. It seems like there is so much to know just to get started and that’s just the tip of then iceburg!
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 6:22:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 11:07:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Some very interesting research regarding Varroa.
Link
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 9:58:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Link
View Quote
That would be a rather groundbreaking discovery if future research affirms it!
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 1:14:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By BustinCaps:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BustinCaps:
Link
Yes it would. It could also potentially lead to more targeted treatments.
Page / 147
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top