User Panel

Page / 147
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 1:18:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 1:19:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 1:28:20 PM EDT
[#3]
The swarm box is slowly moving in. Still lots of fighting.

It appears the hive they came from is enduring a robbing frenzy, so I tossed an entrance reducer on.

Two innocent packages of Italians sure can blow up in your face!
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 1:54:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow, that was fun!

Now that I'm not getting attacked and stung by an apriary gone insane...

Is it safe to assume the queen is in the new hive if the vast majority of bees have gone in through the front door?

Should I put a feeder in it when I move it to its place? I'm not sure that's a good plan with the robbing.

Is an entrance reducer my best bet to stop the current robbing on the hive that cast the swarm?

Any thoughts on why a brawl broke out in the midst of the swarm I was capturing?

Thanks for all the advice! You guys are awesome!
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 4:47:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cuttingedge] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BustinCaps:
Wow, that was fun!

Now that I'm not getting attacked and stung by an apriary gone insane...

Is it safe to assume the queen is in the new hive if the vast majority of bees have gone in through the front door?

Should I put a feeder in it when I move it to its place? I'm not sure that's a good plan with the robbing.

Is an entrance reducer my best bet to stop the current robbing on the hive that cast the swarm?

Any thoughts on why a brawl broke out in the midst of the swarm I was capturing?

Thanks for all the advice! You guys are awesome!
View Quote
Generally if they march in, the Queen is in there. Feeding is up to you. Can you put them in a new location away from your bigger hives? I would reduce the entrance to its smallest setting to prevent robbing. You can also make or purchase a robbing screen. As to the brawl, I don't know why they would be fighting unless it was robbers fighting with those bees or if you added a frame of brood with bees that may be it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:53:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:10:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Our presentation went well. My friend (Queen Breeder) and I decided to come up with a "dumbed down" method of rearing a few queens for those that don't want to make a lot of queens. This method does not use the Cloake board and is geared more toward the person trying to Rear just a few queens (5-10).
Hopefully these images are readable but as I stated earlier, I will scan these as well as my notes from last year on how to use the Cloake board method which is a geared toward rearing approximately 40-45 queens per graft.
Any questions, fire away...

Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:59:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Martlet:
It's probably too late, but I have a tendency to ask for advice after I do something.  

I did a hive inspection yesterday, and one of my hives had 4 or 5 queen cells in the top box that had larva in them and would have been capped before I went back in.  Today I went back in, grabbed the queen and a frame of brood, added a frame of honey and two empty frames, and stuck them in a nuc.   I shook a frame or two into the nuc with the queen and buttoned it up.  I have no idea how many bees stayed.   I assumed the girls were getting ready to take a trip, so I beat them to it.

Dumb?  Next step?
View Quote
Very smart move in my opinion...
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:06:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By cuttingedge:
Our presentation went well. My friend (Queen Breeder) and I decided to come up with a "dumbed down" method of rearing a few queens for those that don't want to make a lot of queens. This method does not use the Cloake board and is geared more toward the person trying to Rear just a few queens (5-10).
Hopefully these images are readable but as I stated earlier, I will scan these as well as my notes from last year on how to use the Cloake board method which is a geared toward rearing approximately 40-45 queens per graft.
Any questions, fire away...
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/294057/image-241709.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/294057/image-241710.jpg
View Quote
I just built a cloake board this week.  I plan on gettng the nicot box installed this weekend. Plans don't always go as expected.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:10:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By DUX4LIFE:

I just built a cloake board this week.  I plan on gettng the nicot box installed this weekend. Plans don't always go as expected.
View Quote
The Nicot system although useful is not for me. It can be a pain in the ass to get her in as well as releasing her. It does take some of the guesswork out of figuring out how old the larvae is. I had one and used it a few times. Once I learned how to graft, I gave it away to someone newer at rearing queens.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:15:24 PM EDT
[#11]
That's not encouraging!!! Lol.  Everyone around here grafts also except 1 of the better queen rearers.  They tell me the same thing.  Interesting, since you have done both and chosen.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:30:35 PM EDT
[#12]
That's not encouraging!!! Lol.  Everyone around here grafts also except 1 of the better queen rearers.  They tell me the same thing.  Interesting, since you have done both and chosen.
View Quote
You may find that you really like it. I know a few people that swear by the system. I personally feel that once you learn to graft, you won't look back. You will see that each has its advantages.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 1:16:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 1:50:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 1:53:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:11:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cuttingedge] [#16]
Some photos from our open hive meeting/ queen rearing demonstrations.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:16:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cuttingedge] [#17]
More
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:20:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cuttingedge] [#18]

Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:26:30 PM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:34:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:53:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Where was that?
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 8:02:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Very nice! How many frames do you use in your honey supers?
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 8:05:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Where was that?
View Quote
At my house
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 8:31:59 PM EDT
[#24]
At my house
View Quote
Missed my invite.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 9:23:50 PM EDT
[#25]

Missed my invite.
View Quote
It was on the last page
I don't know where you are located but if you feel like making a day trip next season, I will
be happy to show you the ins and outs of rearing queens. I will even send you home with some mated queens!!!
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 9:49:56 PM EDT
[#26]

Very nice! How many frames do you use in your honey supers?
View Quote
Thanks
10 frames
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 9:51:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Pulled 160lbs of honey
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 9:53:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By scorpionmain:

Thanks
10 frames
View Quote
Have you ever tried 9 frames? That's what we do. They draw put the comb thicker which makes it much easier to uncap!
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:32:06 PM EDT
[#29]

Have you ever tried 9 frames? That's what we do. They draw put the comb thicker which makes it much easier to uncap!
View Quote
9 frames is the only way to go...
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:40:46 PM EDT
[#30]
View All Quotes

Agreed! It is important to space them evenly to get the full benefit. Some people use frame spacers. We just eyeball it
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 6:36:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: scorpionmain] [#31]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By scorpionmain:

Thanks
10 frames
Yes, I have tried.
Didn't like it.
When uncapping with a hot knife all that thickness falls into the uncapping bin to make more work later.
I rather take a thin sheet of wax off than to try to recover lost honey during the uncapping process.
Every drop counts.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 11:31:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DUX4LIFE] [#32]

Agreed! It is important to space them evenly to get the full benefit. Some people use frame spacers. We just eyeball it
View Quote
When I build the supers Mine get the metal frame rests for 9 frames right away.  All of the others get the standard 10 frame rest.  life is easier this way.  They seem not to put as much propolis on them also, as I recall.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 12:14:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 7:16:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 7:18:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 7:18:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:01:06 PM EDT
[#37]

Awesome shots, and looks like a great day!

And that's a nice looking queen.  Is she one of yours?
View Quote
Thanks, everyone had a good time and hopefully learned a lot
Yes that is one of my breeder queens. She is the one that I have been using the most.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 9:06:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Martlet] [#38]

It was on the last page
I don't know where you are located but if you feel like making a day trip next season, I will
be happy to show you the ins and outs of rearing queens. I will even send you home with some mated queens!!!
View Quote
Thanks.  I'm from Maine and go back all the time.

I'm hoping one of my hives is making a queen now.  If not, I'll be buying.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 7:50:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Time to make some Nucs
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 9:33:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 9:37:38 PM EDT
[#41]
I will take some pics tomorrow when I give them water. I got 5 queens from Michael Palmer in Vermont and 15 Buckfast queens from Canada. Tomorrow is going to be busy
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 6:38:42 PM EDT
[#42]
I forgot to take pics of all of the queens as yesterday was very crazy.
I have four left that someone is supposed to pick-up tomorrow so I just snapped a few pics for you Kitties. Here are some Buckfast Queens from Fergusons Apiaries in Canada.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 7:05:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cuttingedge] [#43]
So the guy that was supposed to come pick-up the Buckfast queens backed out
I just made four more splits and will introduce these tomorrow. We are still in a good nectar flow right now but just to our south, they are seeing the dearth start. I am going to have to feed heavily to help these colonies build up. What is the most effective way of feeding multiple colonies? Right now I am at about 50 and don't have that many feeders. I have about 25 frame feeders, 15 boardman feeders and 1 top feeder. Maybe @DUX4LIFE can chime in and help
me. I am contemplating open feeding 10 gallons at a time in 5 gallon bucket feeders. Any help/ suggestions would be appreciated .
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 10:54:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DUX4LIFE] [#44]
So the guy that was supposed to come pick-up the Buckfast queens backed out
I just made four more splits and will introduce these tomorrow. We are still in a good nectar flow right now but just to our south, they are seeing the dearth start. I am going to have to feed heavily to help these colonies build up. What is the most effective way of feeding multiple colonies? Right now I am at about 50 and don't have that many feeders. I have about 25 frame feeders, 15 boardman feeders and 1 top feeder. Maybe @DUX4LIFE can chime in and help
me. I am contemplating open feeding 10 gallons at a time in 5 gallon bucket feeders. Any help/ suggestions would be appreciated .
View Quote
Top feeders all the way...I just picked up a 3000 lbs tote of corn syrup to feed my weaker hives.  I figured if the hive didn't have a super on it this spring it was going to get strengthened up to make a late summer split.  If it had supers it would get split after I pulled them.  At least each hive would give me nuc going into fall.  
2 of our locals talked at the meeting and I got to see his flat bed truck with feeder set up.  He uses a trash pump with a gate valve as the pressure release.  I can make a drawing but basically it pumps out of the bottom and back into the top. this recirculates the mixture so you can dump sugar into the tote and dissolve it into a solution.  He had a "t" with a gate valve in this set up.  If he partially closed the gate valve it would divert some of the mixture to the "T".  This "T" was plumbed down to a garden hose and gas pump nozzle.  he could then fill his hives within 100' of the truck as that is how long the garden hose is.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 11:21:38 PM EDT
[#45]
I am feeding with a 3 gallon bucket out of the tote into the hive top feeders.  I can dump about 3 gallons into a bucket and into each feeder in about 1 minute.

I managed to start setting up the new nuc yard this spring.  I will get some pics up later this week but I think it will allow me to run 100 nucs and maybe 50+ 8 frame starter boxes efficiently.  I plan to have 4 cell builder/finisher colonies in the midst of them.  I am also thinking of adding 1 frame of drone brood to each hive I have out in this area.  Keep in mind that my nuc yard is in the center and I have 30+ hives within a few miles of this yard surrounding it. The layout will allow me to driver down a straight line and feed/tend.  I will also be able to number each box and keep a decent record.  I seem to do better when I am organized.  Kitty says she is the queen of organization...My mentor has a 6 sided block of wood with a different "hive status" on each side.  He hangs one on each of his queen castles.  He can tell at a glance if the box has a queen, needs a queen, has a cell, is ready to go, ect.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 11:24:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 11:25:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 11:27:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 1:38:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FrankSymptoms] [#49]

Well at least they ship with attendants.  That's a positive in my view.

It may be stupid, but when I get a queen in a cage with no attendants, I start to worry a little.
View Quote
Don't feel stupid. I was surprised when I found out how much my queen and attendants ate overnight. I put maybe 1/8 of a tsp of sugar  honey in their cage, and it was gone the next day!
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 7:28:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Here is what 3000 lbs of corn syrup looks like.
Attachment Attached File

Here is the start of the new nuc yard.
Attachment Attached File

It is about 50' wide and goes all the way back to the trees.
Attachment Attached File
Page / 147
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top