Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/11/2017 9:17:44 PM EDT
Since this is the forum w/ the Harbor Freight genny thread, I figgered I'd put this here.  Mods, feel free to move.

Getting my 16 year old Cummins Onan 2.8 KW w/ 900 hours back into shape.  It's in the spare tire well space of my Class B RV, and hasn't run in over a year.  My local RV dealer would charge me $100 to change the oil, so I just blew it off and didn't run it.

Took it over to a friend that has an oil pump.  Drained the oil, pumped it full of a quart of SAE 30 and topped off w/ Marvel Mystery Oil, and then had to drain a bit b/c we overfilled it.

Wouldn't start.  Sprayed the air cleaner down w/ starting fluid, nope.  Pulled the spark plug wire & it sparks to the bumper.   Pulled the spark plug - black.

AutoZone has the exact replacement, we throw it in, no start.  We pull it out, it sparks, and we get gasoline vapor out of the cylinder.  Plug goes back in - no start.

I get home, and realize the only starting method I didn't try was w/ the engine running, instead of trying to start off the house battery (pair).  I try that - it pops a few times, but no start.

Ideas?
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 9:19:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Bad gas. Drain the carb and tank and put some fresh fuel in it. 
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 9:57:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not mechanic. I do not play at being one, either!
The guy who does repair all my gas driven tools!
Has said many time to me, "They left gas in it"! Or
"They did not drain the gas out of it"!
"The carburetor has been lacquered over".
So you may need a rebuild!
Just my 1/2 cent!

PITA45
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 10:03:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Plugged up jets in carb, float/needle stuck due to smutz from ethanol.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 11:10:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  Bad gas. Drain the carb and tank and put some fresh fuel in it. 
View Quote
The V8 engine running off the same fuel runs fine.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 3:38:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
The fuel already in the generator and in the line is at least a year old.
Drain the fuel and clean the carb, check/replace the fuel filter.

ETA: What kind of gas do you run in it..?
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 4:38:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just do it. What have you got to lose, 15 minutes? 
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 5:15:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:  The fuel already in the generator and in the line is at least a year old.

View Quote
Just cheap 87 octane - WalMart, QT, Sam's, whatever's the best deal on Gasbuddy in my AO.  The B is my daily driver.

I can get to the fuel filter, and the manual does have directions for draining the carb.  It's also 95 degrees out there, and it's been a long time since I've worked under a vehicle.  Will take me more than 30 minutes to drain the carb.  It can wait for a couple more days.

What's confusing is it's blowing gas out of the spark plug hole when we cranked it to see if the new spark plug was sparking.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 7:27:31 PM EDT
[#8]
How old is the fuel? 

Turn the fuel off to the carb and try putting a little squirt of new fuel in the spark plug hole and try and start it. If it fires and dies that's a good indication of bad fuel. 
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 8:26:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just cheap 87 octane - WalMart, QT, Sam's, whatever's the best deal on Gasbuddy in my AO.  The B is my daily driver.

I can get to the fuel filter, and the manual does have directions for draining the carb.  It's also 95 degrees out there, and it's been a long time since I've worked under a vehicle.  Will take me more than 30 minutes to drain the carb.  It can wait for a couple more days.

What's confusing is it's blowing gas out of the spark plug hole when we cranked it to see if the new spark plug was sparking.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  The fuel already in the generator and in the line is at least a year old.

Float/needle is gunked up and dumping raw fuel into the cylinder.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 11:29:49 PM EDT
[#10]
In the tank - 2-3 weeks.

Will drain the carb.  Hope I don't have to pull it, would probably have to drop the genny out of the bottom of the van.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top