Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2017 9:48:32 AM EDT
Picked up a Garmin Nuvi 50lm at a yard sale for $10.  

I've got an old Tom-Tom I use on occasion.  With updated maps it keeps me from burning cellphone data n battery.

I haven't had time to charge it n mess with it yet.  
Anyone using one these days?
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 10:23:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, I have a Garmin Nuvi something-or-other that I've been using for 10 years or so.  Updated its maps, online, but still had to use my phone & Google maps on a task I had out in the boonies, recently.  The addy I was seeking was not on the Garmin and Google maps had it & took me there without incident.  That was really the first time I'd used G.maps & the first time the Garmin had let me down.

Will continue to use the Garmin as I find it very user friendly but the phone's capabilities are appreciated, as well.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 11:48:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Every GPS sucks in it's own special way.  I won't usually spend a ton on them, and the ones I have now I think are the Garmin Nuvi 50LM models.  My brother found them for about $30 on clearance at walmart out west, and he sent them to me.  They're ok.  The mount is so-so, no tension adjustment.  The annoying "update your traffic camera" crap gets old, too. 
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 12:18:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Good point on the phone!  
I like the "two is one n one is none" approach to a lot of things.

I like the GPS for getting me from home to the beach for example and maybe to the right spot.  
The phone can supplement that so I can keep my data n battery.  

They're useful tools and together cover anything I'd need.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top