Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2017 3:01:18 AM EDT
I'm finding am/fm crank powered radios with good reviews from Amazon that have built in panels. Are there any that can be charged from an external portable solar panel? Most will charge other devices using a micro USB port and have built in panels.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 4:47:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Doesn't really answer your question, but I'm just wondering... why would you choose this route over building up a collection of devices (emergency radios, FRS/other radios, etc) that all ran off the same size AA battery, then buying a pile of quality rechargeable batteries and a variety of different chargers for them?  It seems like the money saved by using "standard" devices (no panels, cranks, or "emergency" label) would probably more than pay for the battery & charger investment, and it would be a much more flexible system overall.  Pretty sure you can get AA chargers that will run on anything from solar to hamster...
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 6:08:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I have not seen a solar or crank radio that wasn't junk.

Save your money.
Here is what you really want:

https://www.suntactics.com/scharger14-portable-solar-charger

Two of these:

http://m.gearbest.com/chargers/pp_424662.html

And some of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JHKSN76?tag=vglnk-c102-20

Then get a AA headlamp (or 18650- the system above will charge them as well) flashlight, and the radio of your choice.  You will be happier in the long run.  This is a real solar panel with real output that is tough and reliable.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 10:49:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Doesn't really answer your question, but I'm just wondering... why would you choose this route over building up a collection of devices (emergency radios, FRS/other radios, etc) that all ran off the same size AA battery, then buying a pile of quality rechargeable batteries and a variety of different chargers for them?  It seems like the money saved by using "standard" devices (no panels, cranks, or "emergency" label) would probably more than pay for the battery & charger investment, and it would be a much more flexible system overall.  Pretty sure you can get AA chargers that will run on anything from solar to hamster...
View Quote
Great idea. I bought a couple of portable solar panels when Lowes was blowing them out. In fact I bought the last one they had and sent it to a member here.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 11:28:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
This... + This:

https://countycomm.com/collections/radio/products/countycomm-gp-5-ssb-general-purpose-radio

Runs on AA...  So get yourself a good or couple AA rechargeable systems and like posted above, you will have a much more versatile system.  You can even find battery banks that use AA as their supply.  This would allow you to charge your phone or other USB devices with the same system.

That radio from county comm is going to be far superior to any crank powered AM/FM.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 1:36:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok, what chargers work with a portable solar panel?
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 11:00:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Kind of an out there suggestion, but some versions of the iPod  have FM built in and any of the solar panel charging setups have USB outputs.  Not a cheap option, but lots of them are available used and they are really small so easy to always have with you.  Could also charge from a 12V jump starter setup as well.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 12:58:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Easy? get AA solar chargers...  

Better?  build a 12V system...   12V solar panels constantly charging a deep cycle 12V battery or bank...  Battery charging AA via 12V adaptor.  

Keep your batterys topped off with trickle chargers during good times, then they are good to go w/ solar when necessary.

I don't even use special deep cycle, just an extra 12V battery that fits my Jeep, and an old tractor battery that still has some life left.  

I use Tennergy batterys and their smart charger, available at BatteryJuntion.  I also have an Energeizer fast charger for when I need full AA NOW!  not good for the batteries but works when your in a hurry.

YMMV
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 6:56:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Another consideration is just using your mobile phone as a radio.  You might not get some bands without specific applications, but you can run a dead phone directly off the Suntactics 5W charger (Suntactics are the best performers I've used for portable solar charging).  You do get some inefficiencies with separate battery chargers, but they still work if you have good access to plenty of sunlight.  Any 5V, USB powered radio will run directly off most solar charges in ideal conditions.  For use during less than ideal weather, having backup batteries is a better option and using your solar charger when conditions allow to keep spare batteries charged and rotated.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 11:56:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
We've got plenty of 5vdc USB battery/cell chargers and now plenty of 5vdc Solar panels from Anker, BlitzWolf, Suntastics (sic?), InstaPark and my brand, SunKingdom.  Anywhere from 14w-21w depending on your budget.  My 14w 2.5A SunKingdom was $40 shipped, FWIW.  Get the biggest one you can afford, which like salt water aquariums, is the general rule.

NiMH/li-ion 5vdc USB battery chargers from Xtar, NiteCore and Liitokala (linked above,) are decent chargers.  You're not going to charge 4 slots up at 1A each, with a USB charger, but it's a bit handier than a 12vdc system, more portable by fitting into a grocery bag, or small backpack.

Hurricane season is 3 weeks away!

Chris
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 8:25:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Just to add ive recently found on ebay small solar panels  (non folding) with a single usb port on the back in 5-10watts advertised power for 6-10 bucks. I have a few different folding panels from the market leaders in different sizes. but now even the tightest budget can have something that may recharge your devices or battery banks in emergency situations.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 12:22:55 AM EDT
[#11]
AM/FM and you can stuff a micro sd with mp3's in it. Charges with a USB mini cable and has a cell phone type battery.

Amazon Product
  • FM/AM Radio function, LED Flash Light
  • Rechargeable Li-ion battery 5C 600MAH
  • Audio output function Fit for IPOD, MP3, MP4 player, IPhone and other Mobile Phones

Link Posted: 5/15/2017 6:41:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 6:58:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
http://www.ccrane.com/CC-Solar-Observer-AMFMWeather-Windup-Emergency-Radio

Any experience with these? Curious myself.
View Quote
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005F5II1I?tag=vglnk-c102-20

Amazon has good reviews
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 3:05:04 PM EDT
[#14]
My TecSun PL-390 can run NiMH, as well as alkalines and charge them up via a 5v USB input (Mini, no Micro plug).  One can charge the radio up with a small USB 5v solar panel, or better yet...charge it up with a USB power bank.  

Easy enough and then use the panel to charge the bank back up, or power a dedicated AA/AAA charger and charge the batteries up outside of the radio in perhaps less time.

Chris
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top