Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2017 1:28:07 PM EDT
My old e&e got murdered by my dual sport when it decided to shake hands with the chain and sprocket.  I'd like something similar since summer vacations are upon us . I used the e&e for mostly motorcycle rides , cycling walks and family outings. Most of the time it had fak ,water ,snacks or lunch ,rain jacket and a handheld ham radio .The family  outings were the heaviest loads with water for everyone , rain jackets , camera stuff ext ext but the e&e handled it with some stuff mounted externally . The dual sport and the walkers were the roughest I'm the pack with briars and limbs catching it .

The family has spoke and against every fiber of my being we are to go to the layer of the giant rodent soon so even if I had the budget for another e&e I doubt I have the time to get it .
With all of that said id like something similar in size not to spendy not overly thick material such as maxpedition and the wa lmart tactical used to be , it doesn't have to have mil webbing bit a little would be a plus  . This morning browsing around I saw some osprey day packs that looked promising but I was limited on time to dig any further .   Sorry for getting  type happy over lunch lol
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 7:07:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Could you give us a price range? I use my mystery ranch ASAP for about the same purposes you layed out. I believe it's less expensive than the e&e but still not an economy bag though. I love the tri zip design and it's a great size.

Scratch that. I see the e&e is way less than the asap. If you want something under the e&e price (106 is what I saw on their site) check out the Kelty red tail 27. I just got one in today for my wife, it is a decent looking bag and Kelty has a great reputation. It was $68 on Amazon prime
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 7:18:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Could you give us a price range? I use my mystery ranch ASAP for about the same purposes you layed out. I believe it's less expensive than the e&e but still not an economy bag though. I love the tri zip design and it's a great size.
View Quote
I'd like to keep it under a 100 spot but if I like it a lot im willing to go a little over .
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 10:55:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I know you are looking at alternatives to Kifaru but the E&E is on sale. Also, I really like the look of the Native.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 1:41:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I was going to suggest Drago, but then read you don't want "Maxpedition thick."

Maybe something from Kelty that is in your price range?  If you really liked that specific pack why not get another?

I currently use a $10 camo hunting pack from Walmart.  I have Maxpedition, Drago, Kelty, and always end up just using a regular Fieldline pack from wally world for EDC purposes.

No hip belt or even a sternum strap, but that's ok, because for me it spends most time sitting next to my desk, or maybe riding in my Jeep?  It also spends some time in the pannier of my KLR, and often under the seat of my Ruckus.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fieldline-Pro-Black-Canyon-Backpack-Mossy-Oak-Break-Up-Camo/44799270

Obviously I have better packs for when it comes to actually carrying it, but for EDC, and beating on, I keep falling back to a very basic option.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 7:27:41 AM EDT
[#5]
A little on the "tactical" side, but I've been quite happy with Karrimor's Hydro 30 Rucksack.  It's not that big, but hugs the body well for fast moving activities.  It's not too heavy being the lighter 600-denier fabric.  The waist belt on this is nice and can fold out of the way if you don't want to use it; they also have nice side pockets attached).  Nice side mesh bottle pockets.  I've been pretty impressed with this design.  There are some stateside vendors to avoid the stupid Euro-VAT tax, but you need to search around for the better deals.

A little more on the "civilian" side, I've equally been impressed with Marmot's Kompressor backpack.  The Kompressor is lighter and not designed for too much weight, but it's a sleek, simple design makes it a great choice in an urban environment where you want a lower profile than the typical heavy-Cordura, MOLLE laden packs.

I have an Osprey Manta 30 (First Gen) and simply love it as a grab-and-go daypack (my loadout is posted here: Osprey Manta 30 Loadout. Osprey packs are more expensive, but some of the better commercial designs with great features.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 11:33:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Look at the a slumberjack packs...
I've got the strider...so far it's done pretty well for the 60$ I dropped on it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 11:40:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Look at the a slumberjack packs...
I've got the strider...so far it's done pretty well for the 60$ I dropped on it.
View Quote
I have a slumberjack rail hauler frame, quality and construction is top notch!
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 6:58:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Some nice little packs y'all have listed . Going to do a little comparing over the weekend and pull the trigger on something . Really need to have it by next weekend so that's why no e&e kifaru is a bit slow since the whole custom made thing . I have a couple fieldline wa lmart packs that some posted above .  I think they are ok especially for the money but I think they went a bit crazy with the padding on the small pack  which makes the pack a little bulky for it size . 

I'm still up in the air on civi style or more mil style . The plus and minuses with either. The Cordra takes briars pretty well over the civil pack so on the bike or in the woods the mil wins out , but the civil style packs have the Grey man appeal ......... in arfcom tradition I guess I need to get 1 of each as in get both lol at the price point of the slumberjack i could get that and the maromot for about the price of an e&e.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 9:36:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Some nice little packs y'all have listed . Going to do a little comparing over the weekend and pull the trigger on something . Really need to have it by next weekend so that's why no e&e kifaru is a bit slow since the whole custom made thing . I have a couple fieldline wa lmart packs that some posted above .  I think they are ok especially for the money but I think they went a bit crazy with the padding on the small pack  which makes the pack a little bulky for it size . 

I'm still up in the air on civi style or more mil style . The plus and minuses with either. The Cordra takes briars pretty well over the civil pack so on the bike or in the woods the mil wins out , but the civil style packs have the Grey man appeal ......... in arfcom tradition I guess I need to get 1 of each as in get both lol at the price point of the slumberjack i could get that and the maromot for about the price of an e&e.
View Quote
I actually found the cheapo camo fieldline pack to be less bulky and less padding then any of my maxpedition, or drago packs.  Makes it easier for stuffing in my panniers.  I have a Blackhawk stash pack that is very minimalistic, but is doesn't have enough structure for EDC in my opinion.

If you find the perfect EDC pack let me know, because I am still looking.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 3:32:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 7:57:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
My strider is yote Brown. But..imho ..I could have got kryptek and it woulda been more civy looking.
Plus side is it's not covered in webbing.
My only beef is no QD shoulder straps..but I can add those . The frame sheet on it's pretty stiff.
And honestly it's bigger than what I thought..but it's perfect for longer day hikes/patrolling which is why I bought it. My cbak mule was to small for colder hikes.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 8:14:57 AM EDT
[#12]
View Quote
Thats nice , its on the top end of my budget but looks to be a nice pack and I like the way it looks .
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 11:34:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thats nice , its on the top end of my budget but looks to be a nice pack and I like the way it looks .
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I really like it as well, I have one of their kit bags and love it.  Defiantly high end and made in the USA.  Not sure how I could justify another pack that's probably next on my list.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 1:06:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

My strider is yote Brown. But..imho ..I could have got kryptek and it woulda been more civy looking.
Plus side is it's not covered in webbing.
My only beef is no QD shoulder straps..but I can add those . The frame sheet on it's pretty stiff.
And honestly it's bigger than what I thought..but it's perfect for longer day hikes/patrolling which is why I bought it. My cbak mule was to small for colder hikes.
View Quote
Missed your post earlier Protus looked at the strider seems like a nice pack for the money but I like the spoor' s form factor in the slumber line up better , was thinking about picking the spoor and the maromot kompressor and still staying under a  hundred.  
The previous posters pack is very very close to what I'm looking for in a single pack and I think I will own one in the future. I'm going to put it in my fathersday wish list ,because it's hard to have to many day packs lol since they can double as a kids backpack as long as the form factor isn't to long . I also like the mountain smith pack but price wise it's close to the higher tier stuff and I've heard the mountain smith packs weren't what they were. 
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 1:07:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I really like it as well, I have one of their kit bags and love it.  Defiantly high end and made in the USA.  Not sure how I could justify another pack that's probably next on my list.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How about the maine warden pack by llbean:

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/112875?feat=1098-GN2&page=maine-warden-day-pack&csp=f&attrValue_0=Dark Olive&productId=1513867

I am thinking I might favor that for EDC over the HPG...  100% use in the woods and I think the HPG might win...  Wish I could try them, and the slumberjack pack...

Anything more then a day pack and I usually go with my kelty redwing.  Its just to big for EDC and having a frame, it doesn't work very well stuffing in the pannier.

Link Posted: 5/6/2017 2:47:20 PM EDT
[#16]
The e&e compard to the ......... how ever you say it http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Forum/forumid/22/threadid/625/scope/posts

The mountain smith pack I like also  
Mountainsmith Divide Daypack, Barley https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B90RYF8?tag=vglnk-c102-20

The llbean pack seems nice ....lol 
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 9:34:30 AM EDT
[#17]
I really like the German Alpine pack you can get them in canvas or cordura.

I got one last month for $25 shipped on eBay. They are a very well built pack while not being to big to be handy.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 12:48:19 PM EDT
[#18]
I have this Kelty MAP 3500 which I really like, $120 is a great price on these:
Kelty MAP 3500 AMRON

I also have a London Bridge 3 day pack in Coyote Brown color.  These go on sale before most holidays for $80 - $100:
London Bridge 3 day assault pack

I like each pack equally.  The LBT pack fabric feels very heavy duty; the Kelty fabric is more flexible and the pack seems slightly bigger.  I'd buy whichever one was the better price.   I actually have multiple other LBT and Kelty military style 3 day size packs, but the two I posted are the two I use most.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 1:37:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Kelty Strike 2300 Looks really interesting to.  A bit higher end on the price side of things though...

I think I am going to try out a LLBean "Maine Warden Pack" in the next few weeks...  Like I need another pack  
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 9:28:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Don't know if you like the tactical look, but for the money the LA Police Gear's Operators backpack is solid and gets good reviews. $49.99....

http://www.lapolicegear.com/lapg-operator-backpack.html
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 3:41:58 PM EDT
[#21]
I pulled the trigger after much back and forth. 

Hpg tarahuma ..... or how ever the hell you spell it lol.  It was more then I wanted to spend bit not by much ,american made so i could justify the purchase price to myself and most importantly the wife.  I went with it because of its simple design , I liked the center zipper and the fact it had 2 external bottle pockets . Which for what I'm going to be using it for will come in handy . 

I still think I'm might get the slumber spoor (the striders pocketless brother) as a summer pack in my work van ..... like I said its hard to have to many day packs .

Thanks for the input. 
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 1:54:53 AM EDT
[#22]
I hope you like your pack. I have the $80ish (on sale) LBT backpack and the quality is top tier. My only beef is that calling it a 3 day pack is a big stretch, but I knew that when I bought it. I suppose that depends on your definition of a 3 day pack though. 
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:38:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I pulled the trigger after much back and forth. 

Hpg tarahuma ..... or how ever the hell you spell it lol.  It was more then I wanted to spend bit not by much ,american made so i could justify the purchase price to myself and most importantly the wife.  I went with it because of its simple design , I liked the center zipper and the fact it had 2 external bottle pockets . Which for what I'm going to be using it for will come in handy . 

I still think I'm might get the slumber spoor (the striders pocketless brother) as a summer pack in my work van ..... like I said its hard to have to many day packs .

Thanks for the input. 
View Quote
How's the pack working out?  Only question I have is it easily compressible to "stuff" in a motorcycle pannier? Or is the back panel "stiff?"
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:02:43 AM EDT
[#24]
REI 40 liter pack, on sale for $80 bucks.

link to sale
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:18:53 AM EDT
[#25]
It worked well for amusement park wear , wore it 2 days from open to close at disney and 2.5 days at universal . It was fairly comfortable , not a magic bag as some have claimed but I figured as much lol . I had 4 rain coats and an plastic poncho , 2 1 liter or larger water bottles , battery for charging phones , hearing aid cases , fak ,2 barf bags (the blue ones with the plastic rings) , extra socks, snacks , sunscreen , boonie hats and 2 beach towels and that was about all I could shove in it or strap on it .  I could tell when the water was gone but it wasnt bad with a full load . As long as it wasnt over stuffed it should fit in most panners , I run alt rider panners so it should drop right in loaded on my bike without water bottles in it .

Heres a pic of it packed without the towels on the bottom . When I got to the park on day one my wife reminded me we might need towels so they went on the bottom which 2 beach towels were enough to take up most of the attachment string . I hung the bonie hats off the grimlocks when we werent wearing them . '
h
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:27:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Was coming to post this.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:52:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Found a pic of the pack in use 
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:20:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for the update.  I was trying to decide if this would fit my uses, but still holding off due to the higher price tag.  I have what could be considered smallish panniers on my KLR, they are the tusk medium size so pretty much any normal size day pack has to "squish" a bit to fit due to the smaller box size.  Packs with a frame sheet, or stiffer foam backing have a hard time stuffing in there.  I have plenty of day packs but most don't like to fit in the pannier, and I like the HPG stuff.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:20:13 AM EDT
[#29]
My son had to have a minor brain surgery over the weekend so used the bag for hospital survival .... 
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 2:13:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My son had to have a minor brain surgery over the weekend so used the bag for hospital survival .... 
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c241/Hawk_308/Preps/20170528_113109_zpscikocpd2.jpg
View Quote
Sorry to hear about your son's issue. Hope he's doing better!
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 9:44:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Sorry to hear about your son's issue. Hope he's doing better! 
View Quote
Thanks  
He has been doing great , better than he has in months .  He has his 4th tumor we have been watching thats benign waiting for it to cut the flow off to the vessel its on so it can be removed, which it did on his last mri mrv back in april . We decided to wait until june to make sure it was 100% occluded so we had a MRI MRV scheduled for memorial day weekend . Well that friday night , Saturday morning he got sick and showed signs of pressure on the brain so we went in early . They found his shunt series had failed so they had to replace it , he went though surgery fine and is recovering well . Since getting home he has been more him self and mobility is better than that it is has been in a few months ,so apparently the shunt series has been failing for a while but functioning enough for him not to be fully systematic . We had been blaming his tumor and blood flow for the regression fortunately we were wrong . Since they did not get the MRI MRV we have to go back tomorrow for that and next week go to clinic to setup the tumor removal .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top