Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2017 1:03:18 AM EDT
Im looking for some nice shoes for my car. I want tough shoes i can wear if i ever need to rough it, that look nice. I bought some slack looking pants from 5.11 that are tough, and i need some shoes to go with them. The idea is to have a semi nice set of clotges to wear to sinner if need be, but that could survive a zombie apocalypse.

Something like this but tough
https://www.google.com/search?q=mizuno+walking+shoes&client=ms-android-sprint-us&source=android-browser&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjen4ykhcDTAhVJrlQKHQvqC2QQ_AUICCgC&biw=360&bih=512&dpr=3#imgdii=tSI6PxoZblr6XM:&imgrc=tSI6PxoZblr6XM:
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 5:03:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Dress shoes, SHTF capable.

Pick one.

Business casual might be another story depending on where you work.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 5:21:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Get some Eccos.  Amazingly comfy yet dressy.  I have walked hours upon hours with them on during a day and my feet never hurt.

Link Posted: 5/2/2017 5:30:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Check out some rock ports.  They were bought out by adidas.  My last two state they are made with adiaprene or whatever it is that adidas calls their heel/sole cushioning. For the record I have two of these one in brown and one in black that I have bought in the past year. Wearing great so far not showing much if any wear and still fit and feel great.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 8:45:33 AM EDT
[#4]
+1 on the Rockports...I would get about 3 years on a pair before re sole... as a classroom teacher, I did not sit down
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 3:24:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey ya go.
Or something similar..

http://www.merrell.com/US/en/home

Merrell Brevard chukka. 

https://www.rei.com/product/105746/merrell-brevard-chukka-shoes-mens?CAWELAID=120217890003320650&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=37718204098&CATCI=pla-70845890680&cm_mmc=PLA_Google|404_26220|1057460011|NB_NCA|502e6ea5-f479-4582-a2e9-64797393f86f|pla-70845890680&lsft=cm_mmc:PLA_Google_LIA|404_26220|1057460011|NB_NCA|502e6ea5-f479-4582-a2e9-64797393f86f|pla-70845890680&gclid=CN3u9tj30dMCFQUpaQodqbMMoA
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 9:05:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Black Salomon XA Pros.

In SHTF nobody is going to be over analyzing your shoes so long as you act the part, but you ability to move quickly and safely will be paramount. No way id want to hump it in my work shoes.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 10:46:31 PM EDT
[#7]
As mentioned above, some sort of brown chukka is about the best you can do and that will be with khakis and a blazer.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 10:56:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Ecco is the answer your looking for.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Pick one.

View Quote
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 11:09:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Wouldn't work with a suit, but I wear a pair of brown leather work boots with khakis, shirt, and tie; Danner Workman 6".
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 12:00:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:24:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Wouldn't work with a suit, but I wear a pair of brown leather work boots with khakis, shirt, and tie; Danner Workman 6".
View Quote
Yep, assuming you're not working around pavers or in mud just keep 'em clean and throw a little polish on as needed, they'll look decent.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:51:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Pick one.

View Quote
This is the forum of "formal shorts" and "dress jeans." Buckle up and enjoy.

But seriously though, I have these in brown and black and they are my go to winter dress shoes for any but the most formal occasions. Your feet will sweat like the dickens in them on hot days or if you work in an overheated building. I used to put several miles in them a day when I worked in Europe and often commuted by foot, and I swear they're more comfortable than hiking boots I own. It helps that the removable insole means you can put custom or aftermarket insoles in there to get the fit just right.

http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/stanton-moc-toe/6297.html
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 1:14:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Check out Dunham boots & shoes.  They're an 1880s boot company bought by New Balance several years ago, and their innards are all NB technology.  
My dress shoes & business casuals are all Dunhams...in fact, I own 6 pairs of shoes/boots.  4 are Dunhams, 1 NB, & a pair of Lowa hiking boots (best footwear
I've ever had...but not dressy at all!  LOL)

Order online, or if there's a New Balance shop near you, they usually stock Dunhams, & can order anything in the line.

Regards,

David
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 11:18:10 AM EDT
[#14]
You have me curious, why would you worry about dress shoes if Shtf?
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 11:37:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Many people cant walk around in hiking boots 24/7.  Like working in an office, going to a njce dinner, going to meetings etc.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 11:40:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Alden 405's.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 11:18:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 6:39:40 PM EDT
[#18]
I would think that keeping a pair of boots or sneakers in your vehicle, or maybe a locker might be an option?

I usually wear boots to work, then change over to my dress shoes.  They are Bates, and while they aren't really comparable to boots, I have confidence in the fact that I could do 10 miles in them prior to blisters.  Having a quality comfortable pair, along with being in shape are important.  The more your walk, and hike the better your feet will fair.  Of course I could do a few miles in sandals and not think twice about it...  

I would feel comfortable in a disaster if my bates are what I had on my feet,  You work with you have to.  If that's what you got, condition your feet to handle them.

http://www.batesfootwear.com/US/en/leather-durashocks%C2%AE-oxford/20147M.html

Leather DuraShocks Oxford (E00112)

That's what work provides so that's what I use.  I have gone for a walk in them on more then one occasion just to test them and my feet.

They hold up well for about a year or two of daily wear in an office setting.  I don't think they would hold up like hiking boots if you used them for hiking but, well we are talking about dress shoes here soooo....    After a couple years they start to break down, but you can push them for a couple more if your frugal.

Hell, if you think about it, people a century ago wore much less of a shoe for much more strenuous tasks, that most people today couldn't even handle.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 6:50:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
It is so if the SHTF while at wok you have some shoes on that may last a while.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 8:37:06 AM EDT
[#20]
To be honest I have a pair of chep tennis shoes in each vehicle.  Like a $20 pair of Filas from costco.  One for each family member.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 1:13:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Thread link added to a compiled link list in a hiking boots thread in the general outdoor section:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_1/688698_Hiking-Boots.html
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 7:56:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Think about working in or near the WTC on 9/11. Have to walk/run through debris-showered streets to clear the immediate area, then potentially walk miles to get home or a friend's place. Allen Edmunds and thin dress socks would have you blistered and practically crippled after that journey.
Blackouts in NYC forced a lot of office workers to walk home.
Ice storm in Atlanta stranded thousands in gridlock traffic for half a day.
Earthquake on the east coast sent all the office workers onto the highways at the same time, jamming them solid.
A chemical leak causes an office building (and attached parking garage) to be evacuated. Eta for return? Next week.

Scenarios just like these happen all the time, just on a smaller scale. There are ten thousand reasons someone might unexpectedly have to walk a long distance. The whole world doesn't have to collapse to qualify as shtf, just your personal world.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 9:36:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Think about working in or near the WTC on 9/11. Have to walk/run through debris-showered streets to clear the immediate area, then potentially walk miles to get home or a friend's place. Allen Edmunds and thin dress socks would have you blistered and practically crippled after that journey.
Blackouts in NYC forced a lot of office workers to walk home.
Ice storm in Atlanta stranded thousands in gridlock traffic for half a day.
Earthquake on the east coast sent all the office workers onto the highways at the same time, jamming them solid.
A chemical leak causes an office building (and attached parking garage) to be evacuated. Eta for return? Next week.

Scenarios just like these happen all the time, just on a smaller scale. There are ten thousand reasons someone might unexpectedly have to walk a long distance. The whole world doesn't have to collapse to qualify as shtf, just your personal world.
View Quote
exactly...and that's why I wear black Keen Ace WP boots with a suit just about everyday, they aren't exactly ideal, but good enough for me to pull off without anybody really noticing

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RM25HV6?tag=vglnk-c102-20
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 9:00:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Irish Setter Countrysider 1884 is as dressy as I get, and they are plenty capable of the rough stuff.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0011EWUNY?tag=vglnk-c102-20
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 8:54:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Some great suggestions.  For those that require more dressy attire for work, this is a serious consideration.  I think for most, if our vehicle is a short distance away, the easy solution is having a better pair of footwear (and clothing) packed and ready when needed.  Still, several commute, travel, or just don't have easy access to footwear that will allow them to run, deal with broken and uneven terrain, grip better than a leather-soled dress shoe, or provide any support if you have to carry a heavier pack or unconscious co-worker for any length of distance.  

We have several real-world situations where such footwear would be quite beneficial.  Think of those no-notice tornados or earthquakes where you may get separated from your pack in the workplace or vehicle.  We had a gas leak in our building forcing an immediate evacuation, but I was in another building for a meeting and couldn't get into my office (fortunately, I still had access to my truck). Active shooter scenarios and terrorist attacks are real concerns which don't give you much time to E&E out of the area.  I like many of the choices and if you're not wearing a fitted suit for an interview, many "dress" attires could include a pair of durable, trekking-capable, shoes/boots without drawing much attention.  If you're not looking to impress a potential client or employer or looking to hook up with the new cute intern, modest, robust footwear shouldn't be difficult to add for an office or business environment.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 3:55:43 PM EDT
[#26]
I also say rockports, classy look and durable.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 6:34:00 AM EDT
[#27]
http://www.colehaan.com/mens-zerogrand

Wingtips oxfords on the top, Nike running shoe on the bottom.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 6:35:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top