Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2017 3:49:08 AM EDT
Does anybody have experience with both of these? I use down bags if the weather is going to be below 40, but if its above that I have been using a poncho liner for years. I have used it down to around 32 before on accident and it was a miserable night (inside a bivy and on a ground pad, but still miserable).

I have been thinking of trying a down hikers quilt as a replacement. My primary goal is to get something that has the same temperature rating (~40), but packs down smaller than the poncho liner. My poncho liner is normally about the size of a Folgers coffee can when its packed down. Its smaller than my 20deg down bag, but not by much. I was thinking with down's comprehensibility a down quilt may be about the size of 0.5L water bottle. That is what I am hoping for.

Does anybody have experience with how small a 40deg down quilt packs down? How about a 30deg quilt?
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 5:21:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Being close to the Arctic a Circle for 2 years down sucks.  A small amount of moisture and you are done for.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:54:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Something made with treated down (DownTek, DriDown, etc) will easily handle the moisture from any sweating you might do in your sleep. Use it inside a bivy sack and you're protected from external moisture as well. To me the woobie's main strength is that it's far from delicate, and if it does rip you won't lose any insulation.

How compressible a down quilt will be depends on the fill power rating. I have a couple 800 FP down jackets (not the big puffy ones) and can't get them much smaller than a 1-quart canteen. Half that size from something with a lot more material? I don't know.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 11:37:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Something made with treated down (DownTek, DriDown, etc) will easily handle the moisture from any sweating you might do in your sleep. Use it inside a bivy sack and you're protected from external moisture as well. To me the woobie's main strength is that it's far from delicate, and if it does rip you won't lose any insulation.

How compressible a down quilt will be depends on the fill power rating. I have a couple 800 FP down jackets (not the big puffy ones) and can't get them much smaller than a 1-quart canteen. Half that size from something with a lot more material? I don't know.
View Quote
Isnt fill power only half the equation (the other being fill weight)? Those jackets are typically around 2x as thick as my poncho liner).

I would be happy with a qt size as well if it was slightly warmer than the poncho liner (which i think it would).
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:47:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Well my new down jacket has 4.5oz of 90/10 800FP goose down, I doubt it's much over 1.5" thick when fully lofted. Overall weight is 13oz. Still thicker than a quilt, I'd guess, and 3x as thick as a regular woobie. I guess it all depends on fill weight per square foot. Maybe a plain rectangular quilt is easier to stuff than something with sleeves.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 7:56:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I did a short review somewhere...but my son's damn dog just chewed our outside cable line in half and we lost cable and internet.

Check out Jacks R Bettrt...they have quilt versions with treated down.  I have their Sierra Stealth with an extra ounce of fill which is comfortable enough at 40 degrees and even manageable down to freezing with a few other precautions.

Down compresses the best.  It's easily half the size of a compressed poncho liner.  Almost half the weight and pretty much double the performance.

For those who get their panties in a wad about getting down wet, I dont buy it.  You either didn' plan properly or you made stupid mistakes...it's just easier to blame it as gear failure.  Yes down needs more attention and care.  Suprisingly, the new treated down works well and when i did soak one quit which was still difficult with the DWR finish, the down didnt clump up as bad as regular down I've tested which was my 25 year old TNF 20 degee down bag.

Just plan properly, avoid stupid decisions and properly maintain your grear.  Down has been used for years in exterme environments.  It has its faults like eveything else, but it also has its advantages if used properly.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 6:02:47 AM EDT
[#6]
You may want to look into a Snugpak Jungle Bag or Jungle Blanket.  They pack small and are good down to almost freezing.  I just saw they have a new Jungle Blanket XL that is supposed to be good down to under freezing.

IDHunt
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 2:24:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Being close to the Arctic a Circle for 2 years down sucks.  A small amount of moisture and you are done for.
View Quote
Untreated down has been all I have used in Alaska for the last 4 years for all my outdoor activities.  Moose season is typically wet.  Spent a week straight in nothing but rain multiple times, some loss of loft but nothing that made me start worrying even when temps dropped to below freezing.

Now I don't climb in the quilt dripping wet or with wet clothes on like I could in synthetic but I am not what would call dry either.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 3:43:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You may want to look into a Snugpak Jungle Bag or Jungle Blanket.  They pack small and are good down to almost freezing.  I just saw they have a new Jungle Blanket XL that is supposed to be good down to under freezing.

IDHunt
View Quote
I recently got the Jungle Bag. It smokes all of my poncho liners. No contest.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:03:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I have two of the Costco quilts. While I don't have them in actual stuff sacks, I'm sure they would compress well. They are much lighter than a poncho liner and far warmer.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 1:49:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IDHunt
I've had a Jungle Blanket for a few years and agreed, it's both warmer and more compressible than a USGI poncho liner.

Another option to check out is the Hill People Gear Mountain Serape. Significantly warmer than either the Jungle Blanket or poncho liner, plus you can wear it like a poncho or greatcoat. It's an amazing piece of gear.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 3:20:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
agreed the that bag is very good kit combined with usgi bivy and it makes for great early fall/summer setup. I have had mine only down to 45 degrees( its rated that I think extreme is 36 degrees), feet got a little cold but that common for me so I always carry wool socks, stayed warm all night.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top