Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2017 9:24:56 PM EDT
Hi, guys. My wife and I are looking to upgrade to a couple of Kifaru Slick Bags. I really like the tri-center zip feature that allows for reading or fiddling with things and even being able to use a rifle without having to pull your upper torso out of the bag. Other suggestions are welcome and price isn't really an issue as long as it isn't something outrageous like $1,000 per bag, if those even exist.

I was considering some Wiggy's bags but we'd like something that compresses down to take up the smallest amount of room in our packs as possible, and while we do live in Phoenix we prefer camping in northern AZ in the winter and in the snow. We've also have some friends and family that live in ID and CO and would likely be doing some winter camping up there.

I was just wondering if anyone who has one could tell me the packed/compressed dimensions of Kifaru's -20, 0, and 20 degree bags and maybe even their Woobie and Doobie. Thanks a bunch.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:04:51 AM EDT
[#1]
After church, I may be able to post up a couple pictures.  I have a regular Woobie and the 20-dgree Slick bag with their compression bag which really helps.  Another option is to post on Kfiaru's forum or just send Kifaru a note asking for size comparisons; I've found them very responsive to those kinds of requests.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 2:03:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Kifaru makes good stuff, but for those prices you could get a down bag (or even a quilt) as opposed to the Apex which the Kifaru is made from. IMO, Apex is good for warmer / wetter weather gear, but loses its advantages the colder it gets.

Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends have good down bags.  Enlightened Equipment and Loco Libre are two cottage quilt makers which I have experience with.  All of the above will compress more than an apex quilt AND keep their loft for much longer. 
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 5:24:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Hopefully this helps with some comparisons.  Kifaru Slick 20-degree bag; Sea-to-Summit Mc Micro III, down bag; Snugpak Jungle Bag; and Kifaru G2 Woobie in a OR sil-nylon stuff sack:

Additional comparisons:

Kifaru Slick Bag, rated to 20-degrees: 35.0oz

STS Mc Micro down bag, rated to 30-degrees: 25.5oz

Snugpak Jungle Sleeping Bag, rated to 36 degrees (although, it's really a 40-degree bag for "comfort"): 29.6oz

Kifaru Woobie, rated to 40-45 degrees: 24.7oz

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:00:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Kifaru makes good stuff, but for those prices you could get a down bag (or even a quilt) as opposed to the Apex which the Kifaru is made from. IMO, Apex is good for warmer / wetter weather gear, but loses its advantages the colder it gets.

Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends have good down bags.  Enlightened Equipment and Loco Libre are two cottage quilt makers which I have experience with.  All of the above will compress more than an apex quilt AND keep their loft for much longer. 
View Quote
Thanks for the info. I'll take a look at the stuff you listed.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:18:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hopefully this helps with some comparisons.  Kifaru Slick 20-degree bag; Sea-to-Summit Mc Micro III, down bag; Snugpak Jungle Bag; and Kifaru G2 Woobie in a OR sil-nylon stuff sack:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Backpacking%20Gear/DSCF0593_zpsadyoofhg.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Backpacking%20Gear/DSCF0599_zpsphb9lntd.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Backpacking%20Gear/DSCF0596_zpsk2ibrw6h.jpg

Additional comparisons:

Kifaru Slick Bag, rated to 20-degrees: 35.0oz

STS Mc Micro down bag, rated to 30-degrees: 25.5oz

Snugpak Jungle Sleeping Bag, rated to 36 degrees (although, it's really a 40-degree bag for "comfort"): 29.6oz

Kifaru Woobie, rated to 40-45 degrees: 24.7oz

ROCK6
View Quote
That's great! We each have Eureka TCOP tents which when packed are about 17-18" x 6" and the Kifaru looks to be about the same size as the tents when compressed. That's not too bad as we're not really going for ultra light backpacking kits and we have some pretty large packs.

How much thicker do you think the 0 and -20 bags would be? I'll still take a look at the Sea-toSummit and Snugpak offerings as well seeing as how small they can get. They look to be about half the size of the Kifaru so I guess we could always just double up when we're in below freezing conditions. Thanks again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top