Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 4:16:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes,  if I need it I'll worry about the legalities later.  But, up to that point I enjoy walking around where and when I want.  In Wisconsin concealed long-guns are a no go, but handguns with a concealed carry license are good-to-go.  I believe an AR pistol in a double tennis racket bag with the appropriate load-out is just the ticket.  Legal when you get rear-ended and your trunk pops open, and better firepower than a G19 if needed.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 7:29:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I usually just carry my CCW but a recent post of road blocking rioters showed at least one with an AR n him locking n loading.  He was wearing a plate carrier as well.
We'll see more of this as the rioters escalate things.
So I'm leaning towards the AR as a truck gun for extreme emergencies.  
If I can drive I'm leaving - not leaving my vehicle.   If that's immobilized and on foot, concealable is the way to go.  Once that option is blown, it's firepower that's needed.
The rifle can go from no use to full on as needed.
View Quote
umm, I missed this one. Where about did this happen?
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 7:42:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
rifle>shotgun>handgun
View Quote
FPNI
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:30:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Draco Pistol with folding brace.

https://s26.postimg.org/hx8fppfll/DSCN5584_2.jpg
View Quote
Do want.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 8:01:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Which are you able to manipulate with very little to no thought, while under stress?

If you have been a recreational hunter who has used a shotgun since you were a kid and you don't have to think about how to operate it, but have only used  AR platforms at public ranges, then perhaps a shotgun may be a better choice.

Conversely, if you did a stint in the National Guard, went to Basic Training, and at the very least had some semi professional training from a Drill Sergeant, or PMI (Primary Marksmanship Instructor) on one of versions in the M16 series, then perhaps the rifle (assuming you went with an AR type platform) is the better choice.

Sometimes guys get so hung up on the hardware, that they forget the software side. Go with what you are most familiar with, and will be most competent with.

From a purely hardware side, I would take a rifle pretty much every time, but that does not mean it is the appropriate choice for everyone else.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:32:28 PM EDT
[#6]
It also depends on your AOPS.

A shotgun maybe very useful in an urban and/or heavily forested area, but due to its very limited range is wouldn't be very appropriate anywhere were range is a key factor, like pretty much everything west of the Mississippi, except perhaps the west-sides of OR & WA.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:33:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I just bought a new PU and I put a Kel-Tec S2K 9mm (G17 grip) in it.

It fits in a GI hydration bladder bag on that hangs on the back of the passenger-side head rest. It's loaded wit a 19 round mag with two others in the console.

Like this one in my KIA (It holds a AR-7) except it's tan.

Link Posted: 6/30/2017 11:38:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Here in New Mexico Albuquerque is in the top 5 of auto thefts in the nation and crime is rapidly rising.

If you think an ar or ak is okay to have great but you will think differently when you have your car broken into.

Go to a pawn shop and buy something cheap. Honestly get a sporterized gun amd leave it at that. If the fight requires a rifle the situation is more than likely needs more than 1 gun and couple of 30 round magazinea
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:01:12 AM EDT
[#9]
My recommendation is buy the cheapest weapon you feel confident will work when you need it, and avoid the expensive bells and whistles.  It is a trunk gun, not your go to gun, range toy, or an heirloom; it should be cheap enough that you don't feel too put out if it gets stolen. Usually that means a shotgun unless you get a really good deal or have plenty of disposable income.  Even then I am leery of leaving a weapon in a vehicle; I don't want some theif committing a crime with my weapon.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:14:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Here in New Mexico Albuquerque is in the top 5 of auto thefts in the nation and crime is rapidly rising.

If you think an ar or ak is okay to have great but you will think differently when you have your car broken into.

Go to a pawn shop and buy something cheap. Honestly get a sporterized gun amd leave it at that. If the fight requires a rifle the situation is more than likely needs more than 1 gun and couple of 30 round magazinea
View Quote
It is unlikely they will get mine. My truck doesn't sit outside long enough unattended to get through hardened chain. They could steal the truck I suppose.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 11:37:33 AM EDT
[#11]
What lock is that?
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 5:20:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What lock is that?
View Quote
@popnfresh I'd like to know too....
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 7:59:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What lock is that?
It just fits over the delta ring perfectly so it may not work with a rail.

OnGuard 8019 Mastiff 10mm x 3.5' Rugged Chain
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 9:55:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It is unlikely they will get mine. My truck doesn't sit outside long enough unattended to get through hardened chain. They could steal the truck I suppose.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/83091/20170522-130039-246504.JPG
View Quote
There is the possibility

Like i said ABQ is highest in the nation for auto thefts

Every sitiuation location and mannerism is different everywhere.

The main point is look what are the common trends and what you are most likely to encounter. Im more than likely will encounter theft so i rather have something either close to me at all times (ie hand gun) or something i didnt invest much into which on the new market is a shot gun. Used market sky is the limit. I recomend sporter guns because ypu can get them dirt cheap because no one wants them and if you want to modifiy you can.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 10:46:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
AK-47 is a good trunk gun. Very reliable and low maintenance and the 7.62x39mm round is controllable and can shoot through cars well.

Odds are good if you get into a gun fight near your car that your target will be in or behind a car.

I think a shotgun is great for home defense though as its devastating at CQB ranges with 00 Buckshot. Setup in a long narrow hallway and wait for the bad guy to wonder into the death trap, boom!! Haha 
View Quote
now you've done it, this whole thread is gonna take a slide off the rails.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 12:52:45 PM EDT
[#16]
know what rifle is always at the range if I go?  Even if I don't stop by home and plan a trip to the range?

Truck gun.

Not everyone just leaves it in the vehicle if vehicle is somewhere it is likely to be broken into.

Bama has a thread on some ebay police gun storage options or you can come up with something.

I am not trying to say everyone needs a rifle or everyplace is safe to leave your gun in the vehicle.

But I treat an old single shot, an old pump shotgun, a cheap psa ar, and a gallon of gas about the same.  I don't leave stuff unsecured and depending on travel and where vehicle will be parked some stuff either goes with me when I leave the vehicle or perhaps it did not go for that trip.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 10:52:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Glock 17 in locking center console, keltec sub2000 under back seat.  Mag interchangeability. I'm not going to be in any long range firefights.  Realistic need for a truck gun in my area there is no real opportunity for a shot over 50 yards
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 12:46:42 PM EDT
[#18]
rifle
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 11:14:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
rifle>shotgun>handgun
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 9:30:44 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm in the burbs and have a pistol. In my AO if you pick up a broom to sweep people are calling in the swat team. So for me discreet but armed is my priority.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 9:50:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Used to me an M1A.

Then it was my best M1 Garand.

Then it was my 556R.

Now it's an AR15.  I'm about to be on my 3rd "this is the best of them" after the range trip last week got me some of the best groups I've shot out of an AR.  Only 25 yds. (initial sight in of the new scope) but damn it looks good.  Need to get over to the 100 yd. range, maybe this week.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 9:39:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Rifle.

My 7.62/.308 Tanker (18") Garand, ...

... and a full combat belt of loaded 8-rd en bloc clips, plus two bandoliers of same.

144-rds, ... also known as the 'Chosin basic load.'
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 10:42:45 PM EDT
[#23]
I'll be that guy.

Given the paucity of verifiable truck gun use, I don't think it really matters.
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 10:49:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 5:53:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Neither, AR-15 Pistol w/ a brace, a 10.5-12" barrel, flashlight, and a 1-4.
View Quote
Yup
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 6:05:56 PM EDT
[#26]
wtf are you gonna shoot from your car and need 300 yards of range?
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 9:16:50 PM EDT
[#27]
10.5 inch AR pistol in 5.56
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 10:18:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Coyotes. That's the most I I ever shoot with my truck gun.
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 8:50:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'll be that guy.

H
View Quote
Funky phone, double tap.
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 8:51:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'll be that guy.

View Quote
I agree. Though I have a Glock 23 and some mags, holster and belt locked in the truck ... just in case.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 12:02:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
Coyotes, That's pretty much the only reason I have a truck gun,  Not everyone lives in a city.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 6:23:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
I don’t know. I can’t see the future. That’s why I carry a rifle.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 8:29:49 PM EDT
[#33]
This is the route that I went. I got a great deal on a Marlin 1894 in 357 mag. My next step will be a GP100 (4") in the same caliber, that will be kept in my vehicle bag.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 10:05:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
This is the route that I went. I got a great deal on a Marlin 1894 in 357 mag. My next step will be a GP100 (4") in the same caliber, that will be kept in my vehicle bag.
View Quote
Now you need a snubby to carry on you as well.  Might as well round out the team.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 8:06:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Now you need a snubby to carry on you as well.  Might as well round out the team.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like your thought process.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 11:25:29 AM EDT
[#36]
There is a reluctance to putting a $2400.00 rifle in your car or pickup, me too.  If you secure it, as you should, you defeat the purpose of a fast response weapon.

You can pick up a used Remington 870 for less then $200.00, losing it to some Sh-t head isn't a game ender financially.  Most of the complaints about the shotgun are also its advantage, they're a fowling piece, designed to have multiple projectiles increase the chance of hitting both stationary and moving targets.  Inside 50 yards with the right buck shot ( reduced velocity ) they are a game ender for the bad guy.  As to limited ammunition, using the right reloading techniques and you stay on the heals of any weapon system.

If I had my choice of weapons, the AR has an advantage, but very little inside 50 yards.  Outside 50 yards and I'm backing out and driving away.  If you practice with the shotgun you can deliver single shots on target under .8 seconds and two shots in 1.1 seconds, nine .30 caliber pellets on target in 8 tenths of a second, I don't want to be on the receiving end of that.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 1:43:33 PM EDT
[#37]
I used to keep a truck gun. Started with a sub2k then AK then AR. Stopped doing that because of Auto theft and break-ins.
If I had to do it again, cheap 12ga pump. With flitecontrol 8 pellet 00, you have an easy 75 yard gun on your hands. With slugs, you can stretch that out to maybe 150.
I didn't think shotguns could do that till I took a defensive shotgun class. Very versatile! Cheap and if you practice and know how to use it, devastating.
A wood stocked, ancient Mossberg 500 doesn't attract a whole lot of attention either, ammo is everywhere and with a good microdot mounted, easier to hit with than just a silly bead.
I now have multiple pump actions...love me some 410 as well. Another underestimad caliber.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 9:22:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Beat up, less than $200 used shotgun. Will take care of 99% of any realistic problems you could face.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 8:10:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Beater Ban Era WASR with a Falcon Arms folder.

Link Posted: 5/4/2018 8:55:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Awesome!

That's exactly the sort of 'pipe-hitter' custom build that cool guys like Chris and Travis drop in the trunk every day.

Link Posted: 5/9/2018 4:46:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
AR Pistol.  Legal to transport loaded.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

and Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 10:30:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Guns in cars without people= bad idea and a thief's wet dream.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 11:07:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
Hence why my rifle is cable locked to the truck.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 6:54:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not if they're locked safe inside a well-disguised, high-quality gun vault, like in the trunk.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top