Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2017 12:11:19 PM EDT
Who remembers these things? Anyone used one?

They seem to be sorta a collectors piece now with sold prices of around $100.00.

I depend on my older Finnish made Fiskars hatchet but I could see the utility of the Skatchet if the user knows about what type of wood to use for a handle.

I think there have been knock-offs made in Taiwan but as a tool they are better received because they are a lot easier to sharpen than the original..

I remember when I bought a Explorer II pistol back in the 80s there was a card for one of them at a discount inside the box.

Link Posted: 3/14/2017 1:29:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Neat!

$150
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 7:04:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I remember those! They are pretty cool looking and would be a nice little emergency tool for throwing in the ATV/Jeep. I wish I would have bought one back in the day......
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 10:26:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Neat!

$150
View Quote

I think the Two Hawks one is a reproduction.

That may or may not be a good thing depending on the steel. The original was said to be very hard to sharpen due to the cast steel the Japanese used.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 6:54:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Well I sent in a best offer ($50.00) for one on eBay and the guy accepted.......It's not hateful at all. It looked very lightly used.

With sheath it weighs 1.5#.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I wanted to see how it did as a hatchet and found a cedar limb I cut off last fall in the brush pile.

I screwed my "haft" into the head till I could not get it any tighter. It's best to do that with the sheath on as it helps pad/protect your hand while doing it. Leave the bark on too.

A selected a piece of wood out of the woodpile to cut for kindling. It made short work of it.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Now would my Fiskars hatchet do the same? Sure it would but it's much more in the way when belt carried.

And yeah Skatchet's cast steel is very hard, you need a diamond hone to do the edge justice.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 6:59:49 PM EDT
[#5]
pretty cool, never seen one of those before. glad you got one and like it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top