Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2017 1:35:56 PM EDT
Hopefully this is the right spot for this question since I consider my camper to a big part of my survival and outdoor "loadout". 

I have a 2015 Nissan Titan 4x4 crew cab with the heavy tow package.  It has a max towing capacity of 9,300 lbs.  I have added a weight distribution hitch as well. 

My question is this...my new 2015 Heartland Trailrunner 29 SLE with a dry weight of 6,538 lbs and a GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) of 9000 lbs.  AM I OVER DOING IT ON MY TRUCK???

My thoughts on it are this...the GVWR of my camper is 9K which means as long as my camper axles are breaking then there is no way I could exceed the towing capacity of my truck.  I know its close.  Any thoughts
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 1:47:05 PM EDT
[#1]
It's definitely pushing the envelope for a half-ton truck.

The "trailer tow rating" is honestly a pretty useless number.  The more-important numbers are your payload, gvwr, gcwr and axle weight ratings.  Odds are you'll exceed one of those numbers before you exceed the trailer tow rating.

Only way to know for sure is load up your rig with people and gear, and then drive over to your local CAT scales and get weighed.  Costs $10, and it's cheap insurance.

You'll end up with something like this, and then you compare these numbers to the sticker on your door frame.  The two weighs are my truck fully loaded with family and gear, with and without the trailer attached:

Compare those weights to the weights on the stickers on your truck:

ETA: Rig and family (minus my fat ass, son in red is 6' tall).  35', 8600-lb trailer, 3/4-ton Suburban tow vehicle
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 1:53:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's definitely pushing the envelope for a half-ton truck.

The "trailer tow rating" is honestly a pretty useless number.  The more-important numbers are your payload, gvwr, gcwr and axle weight ratings.  Odds are you'll exceed one of those numbers before you exceed the trailer tow rating.

Only way to know for sure is load up your rig with people and gear, and then drive over to your local CAT scales and get weighed.  Costs $10, and it's cheap insurance.

You'll end up with something like this, and then you compare these numbers to the sticker on your door frame.  The two weighs are my truck fully loaded with family and gear, with and without the trailer attached:
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s146/variseal/20150805_132457_zps6xmwemsg.jpg

Compare those weights to the weights on the stickers on your truck:
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s146/variseal/stickertoupload_zps4bec3b35.jpg
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s146/variseal/20131030_102958_zps1e553ae0.jpg

ETA: Rig and family (minus my fat ass, son in red is 6' tall).  35', 8600-lb trailer, 3/4-ton Suburban tow vehicle
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s146/variseal/20150730_104628_zpsn6uena4v.jpg
View Quote

this is correct. Trailers are notorious for having sticker weights that do not reflect the "actual" weight of the trailer.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 4:14:47 PM EDT
[#3]
intheburbs has the right idea. You could do it, but it won't be fun. Best thing to start with is a loaded truck and trailer and a scale.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 4:20:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hopefully this is the right spot for this question since I consider my camper to a big part of my survival and outdoor "loadout". 

I have a 2015 Nissan Titan 4x4 crew cab with the heavy tow package.  It has a max towing capacity of 9,300 lbs.  I have added a weight distribution hitch as well. 

My question is this...my new 2015 Heartland Trailrunner 29 SLE with a dry weight of 6,538 lbs and a GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) of 9000 lbs.  AM I OVER DOING IT ON MY TRUCK???

My thoughts on it are this...the GVWR of my camper is 9K which means as long as my camper axles are breaking then there is no way I could exceed the towing capacity of my truck.  I know its close.  Any thoughts
View Quote

Keep in mind that the "dry weight " posted on the trailer is literally that. When the manufacturers post those weights they do not include any accessories like air-conditioning, propane tanks, gray water, black water, or freshwater.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 4:53:28 PM EDT
[#5]
"max tow capacity" is crap, ignore it.

"will my vehicle tow it?".... physically or legally? thats the question.

Physically? yes it probably will with a lot of "buts".  there are electric winches the size of lunchboxes that can pull 30,000lbs; its all a matter of gearing.

legally? to answer that you need GVWR, tire load rating, curb/dry weight, and GCWR(if you can find it from the manufacturer) of your tow vehicle, and of the item your towing.

lets say your trucks GVWR is 9,500lbs, and curb weight is 6,500lbs. that means you can carry 3,000lbs of people,fuel,gear, etc.

lets say your camper GVWR is 9,500lbs, and curb weight of 6,500lbs. that means you can carry 3,000lbs of people,gear,food, etc.

if you maxed both out to 9,500lbs, then your total combined weight would be 19,000lbs. if the manufacturer lists the GCWR as higher than that, then you are probably "safe" and legal to tow. if the load rating of all tires on the ground is less than the total weight (ex. 8 tires at 2,000lbs each = 16,000lbs)  you are probably unsafe and illegal.

your state law may be different but in texas if your total combined vehicle weight is over 26,001lbs and the trailer is GVWR 10,000 or higher; you must have a CDL.  the combined vehicle weight can be 26,001lbs or more and not require a CDL, if the trailer GVWR is 9,999lbs or [b]lower[/b.]

If all of your GVWR, GCWR, and tire load ratings are good, the next thing you need to be sure of is hitch type and capacity/rating of that hitch.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 4:58:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't currently own Nissan or Toyota but knowing both the Tundra and Titan, they are very much so an "under rated" 1/2 ton truck.

I think they fall between a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton truck to be honest.

That said I think you will be fine using it locally or for short trips.  I probably wouldn't start long hauling across country with a rig and trailer matching towing and weight numbers.

Some people will say you cant tow anything unless your running a one ton diesel. -Bullshit.  Most of us live in the real world and use what we have.

Watch your temps and don't over push it.  Drive easy and take your time.  Use your head and you will be fine.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 5:43:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Not enough brakes...people get hurt.

I thought all was well until the trailer brakes crapped on a downhill & 7K in back. Luck was the only factor that prevented harm.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 6:01:25 PM EDT
[#8]
It usually costs less than $20 to get your trailer weighed at the scale.  Put the axles and the jack over the scale.  Tell the scale operator you need the weight before and after you unhitch and lower the jack.  Now you will also have tongue weight.  

Hills be the motherfucker for towing.  A lot of people tow without enough brakes to stop their trailer in the event of a brake failure.  Sometimes you see these guys jackknifed, and or overturned at the very front of a traffic jam they caused.  

Do not exceed the weight ratings of your tow vehicle.  It will imply negligence if you get someone hurt. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top