Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2017 10:05:11 PM EDT
What's the story with older Nalgene bottles and PBA ? I have 4 older bottles that have never been used .
Are they safe to store drinking water ?
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 11:03:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What's the story with older Nalgene bottles and PBA ? I have 4 older bottles that have never been used .
Are they safe to store drinking water ?
View Quote

I'm not an expert but I believe the answer is no.  I use my older bottles to store gear.  I would love to hear some creative uses.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 11:36:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Use with comfort.  I am a chemist with 27 years in the industry - 8 in plastics.....note FDA update - https://www.fda.gov/food/ingredientspackaginglabeling/foodadditivesingredients/ucm355155.htm

Jeff
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 12:05:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I still have some old ones and have no issue using them, however I have several newer ones in better shape and different variety so I usually use my newer stuff.
My really old ones get used next to our pet crates...  Makes it easy for topping of their water dish without walking to a sink every time.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 9:40:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I always scoffed at the issue of leaching chemicals out of the bottles but all of my older ones cracked and were tossed in the trash.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 11:18:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Use with comfort.  I am a chemist with 27 years in the industry - 8 in plastics.....note FDA update - https://www.fda.gov/food/ingredientspackaginglabeling/foodadditivesingredients/ucm355155.htm

Jeff
View Quote

Didn't the ((scientist)) that started the bpa drama get a big grant from the metal water bottle makers just before he hound OMG bpa?

He could not have possibly had a conflict of interest.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 11:36:55 PM EDT
[#6]
yes they are fine, you would have to like eat the bottles for it to be an issue

the issue with BPA was the cheap Chinese thin bottles with warm-hot liquids in them.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 12:19:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I find it humorous that people make such a big fuss about bisophenol A. Don't expose your bottles to too much light or too much heat and it should be okay. Don't store liquids for long periods.

Furthermore, just because there's no BPA doesn't mean there isn't BPB or BPC, neither of which have been proven to be less harmful under similar conditions as BPA.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 1:02:35 AM EDT
[#8]
I stored lots of water in a cool/dry and dark as hell spot.

Is this stuff safe to drink? And if not how it be safe to wash with?

Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top