Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2017 2:22:59 AM EDT
I purchased a Gransfors Bruk Hand Hatchet and immediately was disappointed once I looked at it when it arrived.  The handle is all chipped out from I guess shaping.  

I emailed Gransfor and customer service said they are all like that and to return it if I don't like it.  I don't get it.  I have a Gransfors Small Forest axe and the quality is top notch.  As a comparison, I replied back to the customer service guy's email and attached a pictures of my son's Hults Bruk Jonaker, which is the same as a Gransfors Hand Hatchet and my Small Forest Axe.  I guess I pissed them off as they have yet to reply.

Am I being to picky for a tiny hatchet that cost over 110 bux?
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 11:53:25 AM EDT
[#1]
The top two pictures aren't working.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 12:50:51 PM EDT
[#2]
You're not being too picky, OP.  For that amount of money, you should expect a certain amount of quality and that ain't it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 7:23:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm dying to see the bad pictures. They still don't show on my phone.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 7:29:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a GB Small Forrest Axe and it has a textured handle like the one you pictured.  Swings well, hasn't caused any splinters or other problems.

It's the work of 15 minutes to clean it up with a spokeshave and sandpaper if it bugs you, but that is indeed how they come these days.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 8:21:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry gents, not sure what happened to the original pics I posted.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 8:25:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry gents, not sure what happened to the original pics I posted.
View Quote

I would remount a head or seat a wedge on a new axe but that is ridiculous. I would send that back no question. What in the world would posses someone to put that on a $125 axe? It blew out the grain on the copy lathe.

They are not "all like that."
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 8:31:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's his email:

Hello Slimbone,

I don’t think you will get a “better” handle as the handle shall be that way. It shall be rough.
It shall not be sticky though, that’s not good. Even if the handle has many chips and tears it shall be smooth.
If you are not happy with our products, please claim it to the store you bought it from.
Thank you.

Best regards/Med vänliga hälsningar

Joachim Andersen
Customer Service
+46 (0) 70 001 10 66
+46 (0) 652 244 51
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 8:28:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Here's his email:

Hello Slimbone,

I don’t think you will get a “better” handle as the handle shall be that way. It shall be rough.
It shall not be sticky though, that’s not good. Even if the handle has many chips and tears it shall be smooth.
If you are not happy with our products, please claim it to the store you bought it from.
Thank you.

Best regards/Med vänliga hälsningar

Joachim Andersen
Customer Service
+46 (0) 70 001 10 66
+46 (0) 652 244 51
View Quote

That's a ridiculous response to a ridiculous handle.  I get that it may not be polished smooth, but that is splinter-ready and would likely result in blisters with extended use.  I really like Gransfors Bruks, but that response is poor at best...basically if you don't like it, return it; how about "send it to us to either refinish or replace"?  I can understand getting a lemon, even from a top-dollar product, but if you're going to charge top-dollar your customer service needs to match.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 11:43:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That's a ridiculous response to a ridiculous handle.  I get that it may not be polished smooth, but that is splinter-ready and would likely result in blisters with extended use.  I really like Gransfors Bruks, but that response is poor at best...basically if you don't like it, return it; how about "send it to us to either refinish or replace"?  I can understand getting a lemon, even from a top-dollar product, but if you're going to charge top-dollar your customer service needs to match.

ROCK6
View Quote

That's what I was thinking.  I copied their CEO when I replied.  I just finished up a 1 week certification course for ISO 9001:2015 Lead Auditor.  ISO 9001 is an international standard for quality management systems.  I think they broke every clause of the standard with that reply.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 11:50:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have a GB Small Forrest Axe and it has a textured handle like the one you pictured.  Swings well, hasn't caused any splinters or other problems.

It's the work of 15 minutes to clean it up with a spokeshave and sandpaper if it bugs you, but that is indeed how they come these days.
View Quote

Skunkeye, is your GB Small Forest Axe's handle chipped out like my GB Hand Hatchet?  My Small Forest Axe is perfect.  That's what I don't get.  Why is the Small Forest Axe great while the Hand Hatchet is a piece of shit?  The handles do appear to be two different species of wood.  The Hand Hatchet handle looks like oak, I could be wrong.

Does anybody know what species of wood the GB Small Forest Axe is made from?  Possibly hickory?
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 1:40:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Skunkeye, is your GB Small Forest Axe's handle chipped out like my GB Hand Hatchet?  My Small Forest Axe is perfect.  That's what I don't get.  Why is the Small Forest Axe great while the Hand Hatchet is a piece of shit?  The handles do appear to be two different species of wood.  The Hand Hatchet handle looks like oak, I could be wrong.

Does anybody know what species of wood the GB Small Forest Axe is made from?  Possibly hickory?
View Quote

All Hickory.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 1:57:13 PM EDT
[#12]
They are usually hickory.

Handle on my husqvarna hatchet is nicer than that one...

I would think they would at least offer to send you a new handle for free.  Wranglerstar just did a video replacing his small forest axe handle and it was a perfect factory fit.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 3:42:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I would send back a Chinese axe back for having such a bad handle.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 9:31:43 PM EDT
[#14]
WOW!   I wasn't expecting it to be THAT bad.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 11:52:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Any updates?
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 12:52:56 AM EDT
[#16]
I've had 5 GBs and only had not hat rough; the hunter's axe was intentionally mauled up to provide a non slip grip for bloody hands.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 9:11:32 PM EDT
[#17]
My smaller GB hatchet looks nothing like that. It almost looks as if they let the shop dog chew on it. I would expect better from GM, the replys are even worse.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:57:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Any updates?
View Quote
Nothing at all.  It pisses me off because my small forest axe is perfect. I will not buy another item from them.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 1:06:35 PM EDT
[#19]
That is a clear example of a lousy product and unacceptable customer service.    Batmanacw has me interested in what a fine axe can really do as well.   I will steer clear of Gransfors Bruk if that is considered "acceptable" to them.  

Although you could re-handle it, I would return it and buy from someone that actually wants your business.  

2Hut8
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 1:27:24 PM EDT
[#20]
I would return it.  Just b/c you expect an expensive axe to have a better handle.  

I have a Hults Bruk, is nice and finished.  Is a great tree chopper also.  It was cheaper than the similar GB axe.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 1:30:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Return to the vendor to take care of.   Shouldn't be a big deal for them to hand
Select a replacement
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 5:27:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Return to the vendor to take care of.   Shouldn't be a big deal for them to hand
Select a replacement
View Quote
Yep, I was thinking the same thing.  Even if GB doesn't give a rats rear, hopefully the distributor will make it right.  

Wouldn't worry about that on a Wal Mart hatchet, but for the money, would send it back for sure.

Doc
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 5:35:28 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd return it. Mine looks nothing like that..
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:10:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Mine was perfect until I broke the heel of the axe blade while chopping. I did return it and they sent me a new one. I traded it way. I bought GB because I broke two Wetterlings prior. For what those cost I would not accept that.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:43:35 AM EDT
[#25]
I've never had a GB, but always wanted to try one.  After seeing those pictures - I'd want to inspect it in person prior to purchase.  I would not accept that handle on a $110 hatchet.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 7:17:07 AM EDT
[#26]
I have a Gransfors axe, and a hatchet. Neither of them have jacked up handles like that.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 5:29:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Just got my Small Forest in the mail today, handle was perfect.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 5:32:18 PM EDT
[#28]
That sucks
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:27:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Looks like crap, sorry to hear they aren't interested in making it right. 

I've always wanted one of their tools, but I've heard so many people say to buy in person because of variation/variability.  There's nobody who sells them near me so I guess I'll probably never get one. 
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 7:11:11 PM EDT
[#30]
They all look like that....

After hand shaping with a rasp, before smoothing with a scraper.

Some dipwad skipped a step and sent it off to the spray/ dipping/finishing room.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:04:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
They all look like that....

After hand shaping with a rasp, before smoothing with a scraper.

Some dipwad skipped a step and sent it off to the spray/ dipping/finishing room.
View Quote
These are turned on a copy lathe. The marks are called tear out from the rotary cutter. That handle has never been touched by a hand rasp. The twist of the grain orientation conflicted with the direction of rotation of the cutter.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:28:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Nope not acceptable.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top