Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2017 2:10:42 AM EDT
Looking for recommendations for a self inflating camp mattress. Was originally thinking a ridgerest or similar but need something that folds up smaller.  It most likely will never see the great outdoors, but hotel floors with my son's hockey team, and my office storage room floor for me in the off season.

Budget is $40 ish. And I'm 6'2" for sizing.

Any must-haves, or must avoids?
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 2:14:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Looking for recommendations for a self inflating camp mattress. Was originally thinking a ridgerest or similar but need something that folds up smaller.  It most likely will never see the great outdoors, but hotel floors with my son's hockey team, and my office storage room floor for me in the off season.

Budget is $40 ish. And I'm 6'2" for sizing.

Any must-haves, or must avoids?
View Quote

Going to be hard to stay under $40 but I will suggest a few...

*IF* you think you might carry it in a pack or have to go camping with it I would suggest something like this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Self-Inflating-Mummy-Sleeping-Pad-Mossy-Green/33563202#about-item

I have one of those and its my go to when space is not a premium, as in weekend hunting trips, where I don't want to spend a ton of time filling it up or worry about something happening to it.  I use it when I am out playing bushcraft or camping at my leanto.
Its as comfortable as a 1.5" pad can be I guess.  Your feet will be right at the end I am sure.  I am 200# & 5'8 and I have plenty of room.  I can lay on my side on it and as long as weight is evenly distributed my hip or shoulder doesn't bottom it out.  Stomach or back is fine as well.  Its a good budget option that will work well as a hiking/ backpacking pad.  Ignor the Walmart branding, I have handled a few different pads and I would consider this though a bit bulky, a very sturdy affordable option.  I am not sure where those bad reviews are coming from about getting a bubble in one, I am not sure how that is even possible unless people are trying to blow it up like a balloon?  With that type of pad you let it self inflate for a while, add two or three full breaths and that's as full as they are meant to go.  Its not a pool toy style pad.
I used a basic cheap foam pad for years and just last year switched to air pads.  Night and day difference!  

If I am headed out for a longer term camp, or hunt where space in my pack is a premium then I bring my manual inflating sea to summit pad but that's more for light weigh hiking etc.  You need a stuff sack pump to fill it, because it takes a stupid amount of air to function.

Other then that you might look at something a even bulkier but providing a bit more comfort?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Self-Inflating-Camp-Pad-with-Attached-Pillow/35518760

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Self-Inflating-Camp-Pad/20594104

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Silverton-Tall-Self-Inflating-Camp-Pad/43195791

I haven't tried any of those Coleman pads, but Coleman is a good base level brand.  If you get it at wally world and don't like it, its easy to return so that's something to consider.

Combine something like that on top of a cheap foam pad for use in hotel rooms and I think you will be as comfortable as you can be with a pad setup.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 9:53:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Not quite $40 but pretty close:

Klymit Static V Lightweight Sleeping Pad
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 7:06:11 AM EDT
[#3]
40$

Go find  USGI issue thermarest.(25-40$)
They pack small and aren't bad comfort wise.
But little narrower than the pricier ones.
Best I had was a thremarest prolight 4. But your looking at 130+-$
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 8:38:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Sierra Trading Post, <$50.

If the ALPS pads are anything like their tents & sleeping bags, you get more than you pay for.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 12:20:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Thermarest is also a good brand to look at if you can find something on sale...  Reviews are good and I know a few who use them and are very happy.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 10:26:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the help.  Going to go with Klymit static V.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 12:32:43 AM EDT
[#7]
That is a good pad, but it is not self inflating, just so you know.

I think the manual inflating ones (such as the static v) are better because they are significantly lighter and smaller.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 10:43:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I used a self inflating pad when backpacking for a year or two, then realized they suck.  I had a thermarest; I still had to blow it up, just not as much as an inflatable pad.  It was also bulky to pack, and even max inflated was too thin and thus uncomfortable.

I swapped to a Big Agnes me-inflating pad and never looked back.  When it's inflated it's thicker and far more comfortable.  When it's deflated it take up much less room and is lighter.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 11:56:20 AM EDT
[#9]
My Therm-a-rest Trail Pro self-inflates almost to where I like it, 2-4 breaths makes it perfect.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 11:07:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My Therm-a-rest Trail Pro self-inflates almost to where I like it, 2-4 breaths makes it perfect.
View Quote

Went through this last year looking for motorcycle camping gear.  Therm-a-rest was most recommended and was a good purchase.  Leave it inflated as per instructions at home for a while instead of rolled up and it gets even better as it expands some more.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top