Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2017 3:05:02 AM EDT
Long story short, I will be moving to Colorado some time this year. I currently live in South Florida and wear a sneaker 99% of the time. What boots do you guys recommend ? I need something I can wear in summer and winter in CO. I spent a week there and learned rather quickly the importance of a pair of good boots.
Thanks in advance to those who give any recommendation.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 8:15:35 AM EDT
[#1]
"A good pair of boots" . . . Buddy, in Colorado you'll need at least 4 pair to accommodate the seasons.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 11:59:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Lowa Renegade GTX.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 2:22:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"A good pair of boots" . . . Buddy, in Colorado you'll need at least 4 pair to accommodate the seasons.
View Quote

Agree.  when your AO has 4 seasons one pair won't do them all for true outdoor use.

You might get away with summer and winter boots, but if you spend any amount of time on foot in the backcountry then you want the right tool for the job.  

Just walking from the house to the vehicle, vehicle into work, maybe around town shopping then sure, a summer boot will do you fine for everyday urban or suburban wear.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 2:25:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Lowa Renegade GTX.
View Quote

So you recommend what's pictured above for doing this?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/8/2017 2:39:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Lowa Renegade GTX.
View Quote
Or the Zephyr 9" GTX is another good option.  I wear them, with a good pair or smartwool heavyweight socks, all the way down to 0*f up here in Idaho.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 2:42:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Agree.  when your AO has 4 seasons one pair won't do them all for true outdoor use.

You might get away with summer and winter boots, but if you spend any amount of time on foot in the backcountry then you want the right tool for the job.  

Just walking from the house to the vehicle, vehicle into work, maybe around town shopping then sure, a summer boot will do you fine for everyday urban or suburban wear.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

I should round up all my boots and try to get them all in one picture.

ETA: The boots I wear the most are actually not that far off from the Lowa Renegade GTX.  They are a pair of REI Monarch 4s and were made by Merrell.  I have no problem hiking in snow and snowshoeing with them unless it's really cold.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 7:45:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

+1

ETA: The boots I wear the most are actually not that far off from the Lowa Renegade GTX.  They are a pair of REI Monarch 4s and were made by Merrell.  I have no problem hiking in snow and snowshoeing with them unless it's really cold.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

I took this picture a year or so ago.  I am lucky to have a dedicated "gear room aka man cave."

Danner/ Lacrosse  & Meindl are probably my current favorite brands.  With that said I don't really play the brand game when it comes to gear, I use whatever works.  I also have some Rocky and Bates boots that I have good luck with.  One of these days I want to try a pair of Asolo boots, but not until I wear some out first!
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 10:12:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I took this picture a year or so ago.  I am lucky to have a dedicated "gear room aka man cave."

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/thederrick106/Gear/WP_20161117_002_zpsdavxdmxp.jpg

Danner/ Lacrosse  & Meindl are probably my current favorite brands.  With that said I don't really play the brand game when it comes to gear, I use whatever works.  I also have some Rocky and Bates boots that I have good luck with.  One of these days I want to try a pair of Asolo boots, but not until I wear some out first!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/thederrick106/Gear/WP_20161117_002_zpsdavxdmxp.jpg

Holy shit...that's awesome!! 

I have a pair of Meidls and they are outstanding.  They're a little too tall and heavy for an everyday hiking boot (this pair is pretty tall) but when you need the support and warmth but with mobility/agility that is hard to get with a pack boot they're awesome.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 6:45:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I can do everything with 3 pairs of boots. Asolo Fugitives for 3 seasons and limited winter use (>20F), Keen Koven Polars for the majority of winter activities like hiking and snowshoeing down to around 0F, and Sorel Conquests for extreme cold & deep snow. I've had these down to about -30F doing pretty sedentary stuff like getting diesels running and changing starters & batteries.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:06:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Meindl are fantastic.  Cabela's carries them.  I wear the "perfekt" hikers everyday 10-12hrs a day and i usually get 4 or more years out of a pair before I retire them to farm boots.  They have many models for different conditions and uses.  I would highly recommend them.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 12:34:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I have been on a Keen boot kick the past 5 years.  They have held up decent overseas.  I can normally get 2 years out of them.  I have a summer pair (voyager I think) that has mesh in the sides and are airy.  Then I have the Targhee mid tacs for winter.  These are waterproof and a little thicker.  Summer pair do well in Iraq year round, but I needed to switch it up for the winter boots when I went to Afghanistan.  I have never had an issue with the 6 or so pair I have had over the years.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:52:34 PM EDT
[#13]
A vasque or danner
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:56:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have been on a Keen boot kick the past 5 years.  They have held up decent overseas.  I can normally get 2 years out of them.  I have a summer pair (voyager I think) that has mesh in the sides and are airy.  Then I have the Targhee mid tacs for winter.  These are waterproof and a little thicker.  Summer pair do well in Iraq year round, but I needed to switch it up for the winter boots when I went to Afghanistan.  I have never had an issue with the 6 or so pair I have had over the years.
View Quote

I'm in the same boat.  I have Targhee II mid, Targhee II low, Pittsburgh, Leavenworth, and Newport sandals.  Love all but the Leavenworths.  They have the built in metatarsal guards and I just can get them to break in.

Did you know .mil get 50% off at Keen Pro Site?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top