Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2017 10:34:31 PM EDT
Has anyone tried these yet?

https://morakniv.se/en/produkter/garberg-multi-mount/
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 7:57:31 AM EDT
[#1]
What attracts most people to the Mora is the performance for the price point.  I'm not sure an $80 Mora knife, regardless of being full-tang and what seems to be a versatile sheath will attract too many.  Mora steel is an excellent steel when priced at $20 or less; I'm not so sure how much performance improvement you're getting for four-times that cost.  Some die-hards will be jumping on it to test it out, so I'll be interested to see if it's really 4x better than the majority of standard Mora offerings.  Still, I like that Mora is being innovative and addressing their sheath complaints...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 9:31:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I think there are more than one model with that sheath option.  There's a $50 Kansbol as well.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 8:42:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What attracts most people to the Mora is the performance for the price point.  I'm not sure an $80 Mora knife, regardless of being full-tang and what seems to be a versatile sheath will attract too many.  Mora steel is an excellent steel when priced at $20 or less; I'm not so sure how much performance improvement you're getting for four-times that cost.  Some die-hards will be jumping on it to test it out, so I'll be interested to see if it's really 4x better than the majority of standard Mora offerings.  Still, I like that Mora is being innovative and addressing their sheath complaints...

ROCK6
View Quote

100% on point with this statement.  With that said Mora is one of my first go to fixed blades for outdoor use.  Its also one of my first recommendations for "bushcraft" related uses.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 11:30:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

ROCK6
View Quote

My wife bought me the Garberg for my Christmas present for about $65. I haven't played with the Multi-mount that much. I'll use it as a neck dangler more than anything. It's a nice knife at $65.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 12:53:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I am on the Morakniv facebook group people seem to like it much more that the Kansbol for what its  work.  I have a bushcraft black its not full tang but I probably won't spend any more than that on a single mora
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 8:52:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My wife bought me the Garberg for my Christmas present for about $65. I haven't played with the Multi-mount that much. I'll use it as a neck dangler more than anything. It's a nice knife at $65.
View Quote

I don't mean to bash a high-end Mora (high-end being relative of course).  They've established a heck of a reputation for their inexpensive line with excellent performance.  They are now almost competing with the ESEE and Fallkniven crowd which is hard to break into.  They may do very well and their sheath system is a great idea...it will be interesting to see how these higher end knives get reviewed in the field.  I know full-tang is a big factor for Americans, but the Scandinavians have been using partial and rat-tail tangs for hundreds of years with zero issues when it comes to actual utility work.  I've never destroyed a partial or rat-tail tang knife, but the cynic in me always has me valuing full-tangs for my fixed blades.  This looks like a brute of a knife and it will have to break past the stereotypes of those who always saw Mora knives as the budget bushcraft blade that just felt a little flimsy despite the proven performance.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 9:38:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I don't mean to bash a high-end Mora (high-end being relative of course).  They've established a heck of a reputation for their inexpensive line with excellent performance.  They are now almost competing with the ESEE and Fallkniven crowd which is hard to break into.  They may do very well and their sheath system is a great idea...it will be interesting to see how these higher end knives get reviewed in the field.  I know full-tang is a big factor for Americans, but the Scandinavians have been using partial and rat-tail tangs for hundreds of years with zero issues when it comes to actual utility work.  I've never destroyed a partial or rat-tail tang knife, but the cynic in me always has me valuing full-tangs for my fixed blades.  This looks like a brute of a knife and it will have to break past the stereotypes of those who always saw Mora knives as the budget bushcraft blade that just felt a little flimsy despite the proven performance.

ROCK6
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ROCK6

I find them downright flimsy! Why would anyone try to do bushcraft with one!

Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:36:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the kansbol and the garberg, to me the multi mount is kind of dumb. I picked it over the leather sheath because of price. I could see people really liking the mount set up if they wanted to strap it to a canoe seat or sidebyside bar or something like that. I do not  like that it uses a Velcro strap that can wear out easily.

As far as value, my garberg was $54 shipped off amazon and it uses a higher grade steel than the cheaper Mora's. There are loads of reviews on YouTube of people putting it through heavy use and it stands up well. I do feel like the grip is a tad slick and like the softer grip $28 kansbol better.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 11:00:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a Morakniv Garberg with the multi-mount sheath and like it. The sheath takes a little to figure out but once you do it makes for a lot of mounting options for the knife. The Garberg is a more robust knife and has its role. I also have and use Mora Companions and they have their role and limitations.  The Garberg is a good deal compared to more expensive bushcraft knives.

I've considered getting a Kansbol but the Garberg seems to be more capable for me right now, so getting a Kansbol is a bit redundant. But eventually I'll likely get one.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 10:28:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought the Garberg when it was on a Amazon lightning sale.  I like the grip on my black Bushcraft a lot more.  Took me a while to figure out how to use the sheath, but was eventually able to figure out how to attach it to a pack.  Haven't really got it out to use it much yet, but it does seem like a very good knife.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 2:27:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
it uses a higher grade steel than the cheaper Mora's.
View Quote

Do you have or can you link to the specs for the "higher grade steel?"
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 9:42:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Do you have or can you link to the specs for the "higher grade steel?"
View Quote

Garnberg is Sandvik 14C28N Stainless Steel vs 12c27 I think.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 9:44:17 PM EDT
[#13]
The Garberg and the 125 year classic use 14c28n stainless steel all other stainless Mora's use 12c27 they are both Sandvik stainless steels but 14c28n is supposed to be better.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 3:40:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I think there is some truth to their perception of value.  I've had a couple friends express shock at the price when I showed them the new offerings.  Naturally they are used to paying $30 or less for a Mora and that's their frame of reference.  These same guys gladly pay $$$ for Helle or other Scandinavian knives though.  

Now Mora has to be looking at pushing their line up market.  They aren't blind to the market potential that's out there.

I wish they'd revive the old Barrel knives they made 50+ years ago.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:02:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I like the universal dangler loop this guy makes.  Pretty simple but a nice accessory since I find the plastic sheath clips a bit of a pain.

Scroll down to see the belt loop thing
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top