Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2017 9:02:43 AM EDT
Trying to help a friend find a good all around brushcraft/survival knife to add to his pack.  Thus far he hasn't liked any of my suggestions as they've exceeded the $100 budget he's allocated for this piece of gear.  Thoughts???
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 9:04:10 AM EDT
[#1]
8 Mora's?
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 9:06:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Becker BK2.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 9:15:46 AM EDT
[#3]
dollar for dollar these cannot be beaten.
mora on amazon
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 9:21:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Mora Bushcraft Black or Garberg. I have both and they are excellent bushcraft knives.

The Garberg is a brute but it feels great in the hand and it cuts like a Mora.

I hate expensive sharpened crowbars so I can't comment on those. They don't do anything well except punch holes in car doors.

Get him something that carves and slices well and it doesn't need to be big.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 10:46:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 11:01:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Have a look at this

https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/terava-jaakaripuukko-140-stainless-steel-w-plastic-liner/53144?ref=outdoors-equipment
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 11:26:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Tell him to join Massdrop and for just about $8 over his budget he can pick up a Falkniven F1.

Or.... 5 Mora's from Amazon works well too.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 11:59:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Is he just looking for a knife for a "bushcraft kit"?

The Condor Bushlore Camp Knife is a great choice for $40.00.  

However, if I was looking for a Bushcraft kit with a $100 budget?

1. The Mora 510: $15.00

2. The Bahco Laplander folding saw: $25.00

3. SAK or Multitool...(mutlitool in more suburban/urban areas or the SAK for more rural wooded areas)

Leatherman Sidekick: $40.00

Victorinox SAK Trekker: $40.00

If you need a "chopper", you could add and extra $10 to the budget and pick up a Cold Steel Pipe Hawk: $30.00

...or a machete like Imacasa 12" machete (no sheath): $17.00 or even Cold Steel's Bowe Machete is an excellent, bargain-priced chopper at $20.00

Just my recommendations for the budget limit.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 3:31:03 PM EDT
[#9]
RealSteel Bushcraft II - 4" D2 blade, G10 handles, and a kydex sheath all for under $60.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 3:35:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a RAT RC-4 that is pretty nice.  They're ESEE now but I I think the new version of the RC-4 can be had for about $110.

I almost never take it when hiking or working on my property.  I almost always have a Mora.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 6:55:32 PM EDT
[#11]
ESEE 4
ESEE 6
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 8:08:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Another vote for Mora knives.

They discontinued my favorite outdoors knife (which is why I bought a few of them) but their current selection is still excellent.

Side note, I was in a Bass Pro recently and they had Mora knives in their knife section. In true Bass Pro form, they would be cheaper to order online.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 9:36:26 PM EDT
[#13]
A nice leather sheath and however many Moras the budget allows. I've gotten all of my
Moras $8-12ea.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 5:26:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Mora, or Condor of your choice, cant go wrong with those.  I have several Mora blades, and a Condor bushlore.  I really like, and enjoy both.

Another big +1 for a bacho Laplander folding saw.  That and whatever "bushcraft" blade you choose should go hand-in-hand...  Along with a hatchet, or axe if your not packing it to far.

Other brands not already mentioned included a Glock field knife, which I highly recommend, though its more of a hard use "field" knife more suitable for suburban~ish, zombie apocalypse survival than bushcraft.   Also pictured is one of my favorites, and while not "bushcraft" mainstream I really like it, and use the heck out of it.  Its the Camillus Arctic survival knife by Les Stroud.  Might not be for everyone but for me, it just works, and well.  An Adventure Sworn is also pictured above against the Condor and Mora's.  Incredible knife that is NOT easy on the wallet.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 11:19:27 AM EDT
[#15]
I really like my ESEE 6. If you keep an eye out you can find them for just over $100.

If he is hard on the $100 mark,  Most Mora's a great, but the Mora Bushcraft Black is flat out an amazing knife for the price.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 5:18:28 PM EDT
[#16]
There are a host of knives that will work for most tasks. I am suggesting these on using them personally and in no particular order.

Ka Bar Mk1 with the plastic handle. Around 50-60 bucks and it does work pretty good. I gave mine to a friend who is a survival instructor and it has been working since last summer.

The Mora's are an option and are well suited for the task and are probably the least expensive.

SOG Seal Pup around $70, they are good knives.

Cold Steel SRK if you can find one under $100, they are apparently introducing a new version that is a little cheaper and uses a high carbon steel.

Cold Steel Master Hunter if you can find one under $100 on sale.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 9:08:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
dollar for dollar these cannot be beaten.
mora on amazon
View Quote

I agree.

I have butchered numerous elk, started fires, etc with mine. Great knife and re-sharpens with ease, which is very important when you are in the field,  quartering up animals.

2016 elk

In this pic, I am showing the offside shoulder where the bullet came through on my daughter's elk. Note the Mora stuck in the top:

2015 elk

Moras and the Havalon scalpel knife are my "go to" blades for big game.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 12:58:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Moras are good deals.  I have a Mora bushcraft black I just used to quarter and breakdown a moose.  it did awesome.  I am looking at this currently https://ltwrightknives.com/bushcrafter-hc.html its the LT Wright Bushcraft HC $75 without a sheath and $105 with a sheath.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 1:02:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
ESEE 4
ESEE 6
View Quote

High budget, ESEE 4
Low Budget, Mora

Hard to beat either of these.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 1:20:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Mora.

Or, if he is an Alone fan, a Condor Heavy Duty Kukri knife like Alan Kay carried in season one.  It is a beast, so he won't need a hatchet.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 8:53:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Ontario RAT 5 or RAT 7
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 7:11:11 PM EDT
[#22]
My wife got me a Condor Tool & Knife Woodlaw for Christmas. I'm really starting to like this company.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 10:49:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Pretty sure he's going with the Mora Bushcraft Black.  Thanks for all the input.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:42:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Many good suggestions already offered. Take a look at The Old Hickory Butcher knife. This was one of the most popular knife shapes of people heading west from colonial times through the wild west. It doesn't have a sheath, but it is a beast for $12. I have used this for years with tons of abuse from batoning firewood for the house.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 12:02:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Another nod for the ESEEs. Pretty decent knives and there's like four in the EE now.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 1:51:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Morakniv Garberg
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 9:06:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Many good suggestions already offered. Take a look at The Old Hickory Butcher knife. This was one of the most popular knife shapes of people heading west from colonial times through the wild west. It doesn't have a sheath, but it is a beast for $12. I have used this for years with tons of abuse from batoning firewood for the house.
View Quote
I got one of these to play with since they are pretty popular, and mine wouldn't hold an edge worth a darn.  Lots of edge rolling.  I might need to play with it some more, but I think Mora is a much better knife.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 3:04:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I got one of these to play with since they are pretty popular, and mine wouldn't hold an edge worth a darn.  Lots of edge rolling.  I might need to play with it some more, but I think Mora is a much better knife.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I liked them, especially being carbon steel, but the size of the knife asks to be used like a chopper, but IMHO it has to thin an edge to be used that way.  If you use it like a knife it works well but you cant use it like an ESEE Junglas.  

Any cheap leather K-bar sheath works perfect for the 7" butcher.

Mora and old hickory side by side, I will grab the mora every time.  I prefer a 4 or 5" blade for my AO.  I like to pair it with a multi-tool, good axe and/or folding saw.  Not much you can't do in the woods with those tools.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 3:23:15 AM EDT
[#29]
As this thread shows you kind of need to sit him down and ask what he owns and uses, what he thinks he is going to do out in the woods, then give him a mora and kick him out the door for a bit.

I have all kinds of knives.  Even have one of the rambo III monsters from when I was kid.  Huge bowie knife.

Something like a mora is easily carried and often used and easily kept very sharp.

I prefer something with a design that keeps my hand from sliding onto the blade, not sure why I have gone this way in my old age but I want a pretty solid seperation.

Mora has a red handled something or other, plastic handle, that covers this need.  Sheath is plastic and it snaps down in, but with his budget I would find or buy some leather and mess around with searching out home made sheathes and make a sheath.

Lately I am a bit of a pain if someone owns an ar, I tell em they need the marine bayonet cause they have the rifle and need a bayonet.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 6:48:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Condor Kephart Blade Blank

Condor Kephart pattern, full tang 4.5" spear point in 1075 for less than $16. Wrap the handle, make a sheath and your in business.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 6:55:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 7:05:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Ka-bar Short

Morakniv 2000

Morakniv Companion

Victorinox Farmer

Ka-bar Dozier Folding Hunter

There are lots of good knives to choose from. What does he want to do with the knife?
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 4:36:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Anything Becker. BK2 is my favorite everything fixed blade.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:46:40 PM EDT
[#35]
A great competitor to the Mora bushcraft line is the Hultafors OK-4 and OK-1.

Or the hultafors GK heavy duty can be picked up near $10 shipped on eBay. It is a high quality carbon steel heavy duty knife.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 9:25:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
WTF is wrong with people like you?????  Posting crap like this.  You're almost as bad as that BatmanCave guy here and his dang axes he's always posting about.

[sigh]  Another $12 (or was it $13?) added to my latest Amazon list.

On the upside, I have enough ESEE's so at least it's not another +$100 knife buy.....

Thanks a lot - NOT!

Link Posted: 2/8/2017 9:40:36 PM EDT
[#37]

Varusteleka Terävä 140 SS and carbon
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 9:55:20 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

I looked at those but went with a Bernie Garland blank - my dad gave me the rosewood.

You do have to finish the edge, it is just rough ground.

Link
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 10:39:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Mora knives.  Lot cheaper than $100 too, even the full tang.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 10:46:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
WTF is wrong with people like you?????  Posting crap like this.  You're almost as bad as that BatmanCave guy here and his dang axes he's always posting about.

On the upside, I have enough ESEE's so at least it's not another +$100 knife buy.....

Thanks a lot - NOT!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks a lot - NOT!

Did I post this one yet? Wetterlings 1.5 lb head on a Hults Bruk Akka handle.

Link Posted: 2/8/2017 10:49:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
8 Mora's?
View Quote
Exactly what I came to say. 
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:04:10 AM EDT
[#42]
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=3&campId=5337559805&toolId=10001&customId=iyxv0yr2jz00zk8a00004&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2F291925019735%3F_trksid%3Dp2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

No affiliation with the seller, but its pretty hard to beat this knife for less then $10 shipped to your door...  I just bought a few myself.  I wanted orange handles, but if you don't mind red or black you can get the modernized 511 even cheaper!
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:23:58 AM EDT
[#43]
ESEE 4
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:51:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Did I post this one yet? Wetterlings 1.5 lb head on a Hults Bruk Akka handle.
View Quote
Gorram it!!!
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:50:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Esee 3 or 4 hm. The hm model is great and designed specifically for bushcraft. Can be found for under 100.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top