Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2016 5:59:57 AM EDT
I have two army issue sleep systems that I have been storing compressed until I recently found out you aren't supposed to do that. Both were issued new in the plastic but have been in their stuff sacks compressed for two and five years.

Is there anything I can do to fluff them back up? Maybe run them in the dryer on low heat?
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 6:05:29 AM EDT
[#1]
They're pretty tough, just pull them out and toss them around, maybe use them as blankets or pillows here and there then store them in a storage bag which isn't compressed, of even their own bag just not cinched down. 

The storing uncompressed becomes really important with down bags (can get squished) and anything that absorbs moisture (needs to air out) 
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 6:12:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd try the dryer on no heat, if yours has that setting (sometimes it's called a "wrinkle guard" setting or some such), and throw a pair of tennis shoes or something in there with it/them to bang around and stir things up.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 7:27:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd try the dryer on no heat, if yours has that setting (sometimes it's called a "wrinkle guard" setting or some such), and throw a pair of tennis shoes or something in there with it/them to bang around and stir things up.
View Quote
This, maybe with tennis balls. Good luck !
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 10:32:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Throw a tennis racket or two in there for good measure.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 11:15:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Just shake them out real good and hang them in the closet from a coat hanger.  If that isn't sustainable for long term storage, get some extra large laundry bags from Wal-Mart and store them in those.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 8:06:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Lay them flat under a bed if you have the space.  If not, an XL laundry bag is what I use (included with most bags).
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 2:31:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Throw a tennis racket or two in there for good measure.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/1/2017 2:32:56 AM EDT
[#8]
thanks for the help. I'll try running them in the drier and store them loose.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 2:56:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
thanks for the help. I'll try running them in the drier and store them loose.
View Quote

I use large mesh laundry bags from Walmart to store sleeping bags...
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 7:47:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup....supposedly it makes them fluff up again.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 7:47:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Purchase a bag from Wiggy's an you won't have that problem. Great bags and I have had great customer service from them.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 7:54:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

Dryer, no heat, with tennis balls.  Clean the dog slobber off the tennis balls first though.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 8:48:31 AM EDT
[#13]
While they aren't supposed to be stored compressed, the funny thing is that with four different bags issued to me over my 22 years in the military, there wasn't a non-deployed time during all of that where any of those bags were NOT stored compressed, and they always worked just fine.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 9:18:21 AM EDT
[#14]
I've always shook my bags out a bit to fluff them. Maybe that is not effective but I've never been cold at night. A little time for the stuffing to decompress should help a bit too. I'm no expert.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 7:05:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I've wondered if sleeping bags were really like magazines - it isn't so much storing them compressed that is the issue, but rather the compression cycles that eventually break them down.

I have several bags that have been stored compressed for years. They fluff up nicely when you unroll them.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:15:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Meh.

Step one- remove bag from compression sack.
Step two - shake the living fck out of it.
Step three - repeat step two
Step four - open beer
Step five - repeat two
Step six- toss in no heat dryer . Toss in tennis balls or the balls the sell for it. They are knobby looking balls.

Then hang on a hanger in closet..a dry clean bag...a mesh bag whatever.

Mine stay compressed ..80% of the time.
My Marmot is showing some lumping..but after a good shake ..and letting it just fluff up ..goes back to normal.

Ymmv
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top