Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2016 10:40:22 PM EDT
I want a cast iron frying pan which one is a good choice?        ETA title update
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 10:55:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Find yourself a Griswold #10. I got one off ebay for about 50 bucks that just needed a little rehab.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 11:04:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Just go on Amazon and buy a new lodge and it will be at your house ASAP and ready to go.

If you want to buy an old griswold or Wagner they are the best, better quality from a time when labor was cheap and craftsmanship was high.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 11:16:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Best new at the moment is Lodge. I read on here about a new company coming out with a very smooth cast iron skillet but they are pricy and I'm not sure they are even out yet.

And, I prefer my Skittles to be candy not cast iron!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 11:26:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Best new at the moment is Lodge. I read on here about a new company coming out with a very smooth cast iron skillet but they are pricy and I'm not sure they are even out yet.

And, I prefer my Skittles to be candy not cast iron!!
View Quote
?
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 11:28:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
?
View Quote

Typo in your title.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 12:42:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Typo in your title.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
?

Typo in your title.

Even took me a minute to spot it.  Looked strange but couldn't put my finger on it at first!!
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 2:51:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Typo in your title.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 2:12:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I would probably buy a lodge from Wal-Mart for a first one because of the price. Then keep my eye out for an old Griswold or Wagner.
Lodge Wal-Mart
But if you like spending money here are some higher end modern options.
Finex
Stargazer
Smithey
Solidteknics
And some people that like cast iron also like carbon steel.
Solidteknics aus-ion
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 1:22:47 PM EDT
[#9]
We have several Lodge brand pans.

Work great and are Made in USA.

Excellent tortilla pan if you are into the Burrito Fest...
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 3:41:30 PM EDT
[#10]
My opinion :

A new carbon steel skillet will outperform the best cast iron skillet.   I have several debuyer mineral b pans which I love.  

The best part is you can pick one up on Amazon and have it show up on Tuesday. 

Amazon Product
  • 100-Percent Natural and 99-Percent Pure Iron
  • Guaranteed without PTFE or PFOA and no chemicals added; naturally non-stick after seasoning
  • Bee Wax was discovered by deBuyer as a by-product in nature to help protect these pans against oxidation and assist in seasoning

Link Posted: 1/1/2017 3:55:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I LOVE my Griswold #8.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 5:54:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Picked up a lodge off amazon, gonna check some local thrift stores for older stuff too. 
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 11:10:18 PM EDT
[#13]
What makes the "higher end" pans better than say a lodge pan?
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 11:41:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What makes the "higher end" pans better than say a lodge pan?
View Quote

A griswald or Wagner weren't really "high end" they were good quality pans. What sets them apart was the smooth finish, thinner castings that were/are lighter weight than newer production. The smooth pan will clean up easier and stick less.

The stargazer is a new company that is machining the pans smooth after casting, naturally going to cost more than a rough sand cast lodge due to more work. I would like to get one of their pans to try out.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 3:59:00 PM EDT
[#15]
A lot of you tube videos on smoothing your pans. 
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 10:01:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Look up and see where there is an estate sale in your area.  You may have to go to a couple but, in my area I would usually find 2 or 3 each sale for around $5 to $10 per pan.  Just check an make sure they didn't over heat it on a coil eye stove, bottom will be bent up and wavy.

https://www.estatesales.net/
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 12:59:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

A griswald or Wagner weren't really "high end" they were good quality pans. What sets them apart was the smooth finish, thinner castings that were/are lighter weight than newer production. The smooth pan will clean up easier and stick less.

The stargazer is a new company that is machining the pans smooth after casting, naturally going to cost more than a rough sand cast lodge due to more work. I would like to get one of their pans to try out.
View Quote

Thanks.  

My Mom gave us some Lodge pans a while back and we just started using them.  So far, I'm impressed.  My wife is notorious for burning eggs to the point of having to chip and scrape them off of the pan.  With the cast iron, clean up was surprisingly easy.  I can't let her wash them because she ruins the seasoning.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 5:58:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Awesome. I was about to start a cast iron thread.

I acquired several pieces from a tenant for $25.00.

A square skillet, small skillet and a Griswold 12" skillet.

Not mine - but the logo is like the one pictured. After I learned what I had, I notice prices are all over the board on these things.

I cannot make out the very bottom, nor very top printing - Only Griswold and Erie, P.A. The inside is nice. A couple surface spots was all. Smooth and LIGHT. The weight has my wife in love after lugging around our newer stuff. It's probably daily wear, but hate to beat something up that may have real value.

How can I tell if I have a $50 skillet, or something else? OP - sorry for the hi-jack.
My current pieces are Lodge. My 10" has taken some time to get "non-stick" on eggs and whatnot, but I really enjoy cast iron.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 12:39:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Lodge, make it smooth yourself through years of use.

A flat blade steel spatula and steel scrubby pad things are necessary for this.  And it will take time.  I did one for my fiance with sandpaper and veggie oil and took at least a year off her break in period with that skillet in about an hour.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 8:26:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My opinion :

A new carbon steel skillet will outperform the best cast iron skillet.   I have several debuyer mineral b pans which I love.  

The best part is you can pick one up on Amazon and have it show up on Tuesday. 

www.amazon.com/dp/B00462QP0W
View Quote

I have two of these and I don't use my cast iron anymore.
I seasoned one just to make crepes.
Add a little shortening, pour in crepe batter.
Wait 30 seconds.
Give the pan a shake and the crepe just slides.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 9:21:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Lodge can be made to work but one must go through some steps to build up a layer of fat/oil (seasoning) to cook on. Further care must be taken to not upset this layer or you are back to step one.

Option two is to spend the time/money to find a older smooth Griswold or new expensive equivalent and it cooks fine from the get go. Still best to season it a bit and care to not remove this seasoning but if one cooks with tomato sauce of something else that removes the seasoning or crusts the heck out of it you just scrub/soak the heck out of it , coat it once with oil and you are back in business.

Either way works but I generally try to go with the simple way if it works

My mom got a Griswold as a wedding gift in 1946 and it still works fine,just did a couple of fried eggs with kielbasa that I am snarfing down now
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 3:06:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I want a case iron frying pan which one is a good choice?        ETA title update
View Quote

First if price in no problem, then buy new!
I have found at least 4 cast iron skillets last years.
At yard sales, flee markets and Good Will.  Yes it took time!
But I have all I need. Got got these for my kids!!!
All so check out You-Tube: Identifying Old Cast Iron Pans
This guy can show you what to look for in the older cast iron!
There are others as well!!
Another one is:Cowboy Kent Rollins
He can show you how to cook with cast iron as well as how to maintain it!!!
Just my two cents!!!
But let the hive know what you get!!!

PITA45
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 2:56:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Years ago, I was gifted an Emeril-branded skillet made by All Clad. Best piece of cookware I've ever used. I'd take it over all any Lodge or Griswold. About $85 on Amazon.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 7:47:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Anyone receive their Stargazer skillet or any news on it yet?

T2
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 1:06:50 AM EDT
[#25]
I recommend 10".

I doubt if the brand matters.  Mine is Lodge, and I have ... ZERO ... problems with it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 5:32:58 PM EDT
[#26]

This, a cordless drill, and about 30 min will go a long way!!

Doc
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:13:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Buy a lodge and take a flap wheel sander to it. 
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:08:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Buy a lodge and take a flap wheel sander to it. 
View Quote
Or just use a metal spatula with a sharp edge and work on it that way.

After about 4-5 years of light use, my 12" Lodge is starting to become flat, but it's not quite there yet.

I'll still use a little bit of fat, or butter, if I'm doing eggs, but I'm OK with that.

Chris
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:17:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Or just use a metal spatula with a sharp edge and work on it that way.

After about 4-5 years of light use, my 12" Lodge is starting to become flat, but it's not quite there yet.

I'll still use a little bit of fat, or butter, if I'm doing eggs, but I'm OK with that.

Chris
View Quote
After 4-5 minutes of sanding mine is flat as a vintage griswold, and costs 25 bucks.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:33:31 AM EDT
[#30]
I never sanded mine.  Joe Bob, whose review I used as guidance for seasoning my pans, didn't think he would like a rough surface either, but he accepted it after trying it.

Joe Bob's seasoning and review
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:18:21 PM EDT
[#31]
I have lots of abrasive things to smooth out some cast
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 8:09:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Something else I've learned:  I grill much better steaks inside in cast iron than I do on my outdoor grill, much juicier and easier to get a good sear.

I'm convinced that many things I cook outdoors can be done better with cast iron, except for a few criteria:  the outdoor grill can impart a better smoky flavor; if it is summer time it nice to be able to keep the heat outside; things cooked on a rotisserie outside can't be duplicated easily inside.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 9:55:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Kinda hard to beat a lodge for availability. Hell you can pick them at walmart.

The cheap chinese (i think its chinese) made one is my main cooking one and its held up. I did prefer that i could do the seasoning instead if the pre seasoned by lodge.

(
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:40:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Last time I looked, Lodge cast iron was made in the USA, except for the ceramic covered cast iron.

Lodge Cast Iron
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top