Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2016 11:04:15 PM EDT
Anyone have one? 4100 lumens, $199.00.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:41:20 AM EDT
[#1]
4000 lumens?  Alright, marketing is getting out of control...sorry, but I need to call BS as that would scorch skin
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:09:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
4000 lumens?  Alright, marketing is getting out of control...sorry, but I need to call BS as that would scorch skin
View Quote

It's not a typical Cree LED, it's an Osram 12v/100w hot wire bulb apparently.  It's also running on four 18650s in series, for 16.8v hot off the charger.  More, or less, a high intensity discharge setup (HID.)  I bet that sucker gets hot and hot fast.  2000 hour bulb life seems a bit generous to me, as most HID bulbs are measured in double digit lifespans, from what I've read.

Neat, but I have a beer can light (4x18650 parallel) that puts out 3600 OTF lumens with three neutral white emitters, 4000LM if you go cool white.  A bit fatter, but it's a 'yard illuminator,' so if you like floody lights, it's right up one's alley.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:49:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

It's not a typical Cree LED, it's an Osram 12v/100w hot wire bulb apparently.  It's also running on four 18650s in series, for 16.8v hot off the charger.  More, or less, a high intensity discharge setup (HID.)  I bet that sucker gets hot and hot fast.  2000 hour bulb life seems a bit generous to me, as most HID bulbs are measured in double digit lifespans, from what I've read.

Neat, but I have a beer can light (4x18650 parallel) that puts out 3600 OTF lumens with three neutral white emitters, 4000LM if you go cool white.  A bit fatter, but it's a 'yard illuminator,' so if you like floody lights, it's right up one's alley.

Chris
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris

That is insane...it must really heat up to the point you need oven mitts to operate  I can appreciate the innovation and pushing the envelope, but outside of that I can't see the practicality.  Of course, "practical" rarely means much when it comes to hobbies!

ROCK6
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:21:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That is insane...it must really heat up to the point you need oven mitts to operate  I can appreciate the innovation and pushing the envelope, but outside of that I can't see the practicality.  Of course, "practical" rarely means much when it comes to hobbies! ROCK6
View Quote

With cell technology developing, you don't need a huge, fat, or long light to get high output.  The current rage is something like a Convoy S2+ with triple XP-L HI (dedomed) emitters, a 6A+ driver board, shorter 18350 body and a single 18350 10A high drain cell.

Only slightly larger than a typical lipstick light, but boy does it pack a wallop.  A buddy from England sent me one that he had made over there and it's impressive.  It goes about 2:30 before the thermal protection circuit kicks in and by then, it's often too hot to hold and I need to use my shirt to handle it.  8 minutes, 30 seconds total time on turbo with a single 800mAh cell, so you're not going to use it in a SHTF scenario, but it's a hoot.

This one from Richard over at Mountain Electronics is a pure blaster and can only be used with 18650s that can handle over 10A continuous.  If you were to get an 18350 body, you'd be hard pressed to use that light with any of the current crop of 18350s, as most top out at around 7A continuous.  Still, they give you a Sony VTC5 18650 and those are good for 15A-20A, but the light will be a bit longer.

http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=80&product_id=769

Chris
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top