Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2016 8:23:13 AM EDT
seems Silky is the gold standard, but for $$$$ is it that much better than one of
the others; have a Fiskars, but read some older reviews that say the handle
breaks. Looking for a backup/replacement in the $20-30 range & Bacho seems
to fit the bill.

Saw the RDEER on amazon that looks good for +$10 moar than the Bacho.

gotta stay off those instagram bushlife/woodsman etc pages,,,,,
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:57:14 AM EDT
[#1]
My wife and I traveled for a while. Got back from Europe right before Sandy. I kept a fair kit in the car, including a folding saw. My Sven saw limbed and cut up a 25ft pine that fell during the hurricane. It blocked the driveway and our Greek land lady was in a panickabout how long it will take to hire someone with a chainsaw to come and clear it and how much it will cost.

I just went out and grabbed the saw and got to work and stacked the wood on the edge of the driveway. It isn't the best once the tree gets wider than 8-10" but you can make due by undercutting and taking shorter strokes. Anyways, no input on the other ones, but that was my experience and I still carry one in my car.

https://www.amazon.com/Sven-Saw-Original-21-Folding/dp/B00BI66XPQ
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 9:28:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got a Bacho Laplander. Works great for limbs under 7 or 8 inches. Very sturdy and I feel blades are easy to get.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 9:39:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got a Bacho Laplander. Works great for limbs under 7 or 8 inches. Very sturdy and I feel blades are easy to get.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 10:22:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I keep a Sven saw in my bags in the cars.  My grandson uses on camping/fishing trips and he likes it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:25:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Pony up for the silky, you won't regret it. The pocketboy model is only $20-30
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 11:35:58 PM EDT
[#6]
My silky is the fastest hand saw I've ever used.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 7:10:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't know about RDEER, but both the Silky and Bahco Laplander have excellent reputations.

The Silky Pocketboy 170 is pretty close in size to the Bahco and they are really only $4-5 in difference with the Silky slightly more expensive.  Both are so close in performance, it really just comes down to performance.  I really like Silky, but I really appreciate the ability to lock the blade closed on the Bahco.  Much depends on what you plan to do with your saw as both of these folding saws are best used with wood no more than 3-4" in diameter and very useful for most "bushcraft" projects up to building a primitive shelter.  If you need to cut and process serious-sized wood for a fire used for more than just boiling a pot of water, get a collapsible bow saw that can be used to cut much larger rounds.

I will say, I have a 14" fixed-blade Corona saw that I really like.  I pack this the most often when going solo and expecting to process up a bunch of wood for a fire to both cook and relax alongside.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 12:41:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I don't know about RDEER, but both the Silky and Bahco Laplander have excellent reputations.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ROCK-6/media/Bushcraft/DSCF8345_zpszvgyurij.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Bushcraft/DSCF8345_zpszvgyurij.jpg</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ROCK-6/media/Bushcraft/DSCF8346_zpstcm1aa8m.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Bushcraft/DSCF8346_zpstcm1aa8m.jpg</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ROCK-6/media/Bushcraft/DSCF8347_zpsaku45vo4.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Bushcraft/DSCF8347_zpsaku45vo4.jpg</a>

The Silky Pocketboy 170 is pretty close in size to the Bahco and they are really only $4-5 in difference with the Silky slightly more expensive.  Both are so close in performance, it really just comes down to performance.  I really like Silky, but I really appreciate the ability to lock the blade closed on the Bahco.  Much depends on what you plan to do with your saw as both of these folding saws are best used with wood no more than 3-4" in diameter and very useful for most "bushcraft" projects up to building a primitive shelter.  If you need to cut and process serious-sized wood for a fire used for more than just boiling a pot of water, get a collapsible bow saw that can be used to cut much larger rounds.

I will say, I have a 14" fixed-blade Corona saw that I really like.  I pack this the most often when going solo and expecting to process up a bunch of wood for a fire to both cook and relax alongside.

ROCK6
View Quote

What folding saws are those please?
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 3:24:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I kept a Sven in my truck, but I gave it away and haven't replaced it. All I have in my truck bag right now is a folder (gerber?), which is also decent.

I need a new saw, now that I think of it.

For many years I had a full sized bow saw (and a sharp axe as well) in my toolbox, but that lives in the garage now... for everything except carrying around, they kick the crap out of any backpacking/bushcraft saw.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 8:50:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I cant remember the name of the largest, but it collapses inside the large tube.  The smallest is the discontinued Sawvivor...one of the best compact buck saws, and one I like better than the Sven.

The mid-sized is by far the best I have ever used.  Dustrude buck saw uses standard bow saw blades.  I think mine is the 30" model.  It collapses tight and quiet and I can store three exta blades in the carry case.  This would be the saw for serious would processing or even primative cabin building.

BTW, I am sitting out here in a primitive camp site and that 14" Corona saw easily tackled up to 8" logs.  It is harder than a buck saw but still gets the job done.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 12:15:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I cant remember the name of the largest, but it collapses inside the large tube.  The smallest is the discontinued Sawvivor...one of the best compact buck saws, and one I like better than the Sven.

The mid-sized is by far the best I have ever used.  Dustrude buck saw uses standard bow saw blades.  I think mine is the 30" model.  It collapses tight and quiet and I can store three exta blades in the carry case.  This would be the saw for serious would processing or even primative cabin building.

BTW, I am sitting out here in a primitive camp site and that 14" Corona saw easily tackled up to 8" logs.  It is harder than a buck saw but still gets the job done.

ROCK6
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ROCK6

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 12:47:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Just got home, and measure Dustrude's Quick Buck Saw, and it's the 24" bladed version.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 4:51:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ROCK-6/media/Bushcraft/DSCF8345_zpszvgyurij.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Bushcraft/DSCF8345_zpszvgyurij.jpg</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ROCK-6/media/Bushcraft/DSCF8346_zpstcm1aa8m.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Bushcraft/DSCF8346_zpstcm1aa8m.jpg</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ROCK-6/media/Bushcraft/DSCF8347_zpsaku45vo4.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Bushcraft/DSCF8347_zpsaku45vo4.jpg</a>

ROCK6
View Quote

ROCK I think you may have a problem here..... DAMN!
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 3:41:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Bahco Laplander.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 10:45:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Bahco Laplander.  Mine has been good to me for years.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 11:05:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I was in the same boat last year. I'm cheap and always go for absolute best bang for the buck while not buying junk.

I was between the Bacho, Corona, and finding a deal on a Silky. I ended up finding a Gomboy 210mm for $29 shipped and am very glad I did! Keep an eye on eBay deals, mine shipped directly from Japan.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 1:00:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just got home, and measure Dustrude's Quick Buck Saw, and it's the 24" bladed version.

ROCK6
View Quote

Ordered that size, $60 shipped from Duluth Pack
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 7:07:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ROCK6

I think you'll be pretty impressed.  This is a good size for portable but serious wood processing.  It's nice that the blades are "standard" sizes and you can add a couple spare blades.  It's an interesting design that just simply works.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 12:08:30 AM EDT
[#19]
For small packable folding saws my vote goes for the bacho...  IMHO if you need anything more then that its time to step up to a 21 or 24 inch bow or buck saw.  After that its a cross cut or chainsaw!  
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 12:35:50 AM EDT
[#20]
I let my brother borrow my corona at deer camp, he has a silky. He now has a corona.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 12:51:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I think you'll be pretty impressed.  This is a good size for portable but serious wood processing.  It's nice that the blades are "standard" sizes and you can add a couple spare blades.  It's an interesting design that just simply works.  

ROCK6
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ROCK6

ROCK6

I have been very happy with my Dustrude.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 1:37:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Timely post.  Looking for a saw I can keep in the truck for emergencies.  The Dustrude saws look great.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 1:44:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Silky is mostly what we use at work. They are very good and hold an edge well.

Stihl has a bunch as well. Not sure who makes them though.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 4:56:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Ordered the 30" Dustrude with a spare blade.   I believe I can make a PVC pipe tube carrier for it so it can ride around in the tool box in the truck without getting smashed by the other things in there (chains, jacks, hitches, etc.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top