Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2016 8:15:13 PM EDT
Anyone able to point me in the direction of quality surplus wool blankets? Winter is here and I really would like to outfit the truck with 1-2 of them as I spend considerable time up in the mountains and in the back country where cell phone reception is non-existent in the event I got stranded.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:18:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:41:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Make sure you have a couple of jars of peanut butter in your truck.
Perfect survival food that lasts a long time.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:13:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Keep an eye on ebay.  I got a Fairbault woolen mills blanket for 35 and a small red with black strip no name as well as a queen size rust color for under 100 bucks all together.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:20:40 PM EDT
[#4]
farm jack and shovel  
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Make sure you have a couple of jars of peanut butter in your truck.
Perfect survival food that lasts a long time.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:24:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Wool blankets are good but a good sleeping bag is better.  Add the usual extras for winter including extra socks, gloves, hat, etc.  

We had a thread about solo travel a while back with a lot of good suggestions.

ETA- you might also consider a cell phone booster with an external antenna.  There's always ham radio as well.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 4:46:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 2:27:13 AM EDT
[#7]
why by used when you can get brand new Merino wool European blankets for the same price?

http://www.ohioprepsupply.com/search.php?search_query=wool

these are very nice
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 7:34:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
why by used when you can get brand new Merino wool European blankets for the same price?

these are very nice
View Quote

Just cost me $37.  I love merino wool.   Harbor freight has wool blankets for $11 if you don't mind supporting communist china.  They are actually pretty decent for emergency use.  

Our own Old Grouch also carries a nice variety of surplus blankets.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:16:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I hate that so many places claim to be "wool". I base my decision off of countries of origin that are naturally colder climates. Which probably is not the best strategy but hey better than nothing!

Glad a good thread popped up, keep the links coming boys!
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 6:59:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Pendleton blanket. Expensive.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 1:47:52 AM EDT
[#11]
If you are in Wyoming in the winter, you are going to need more than 1-2 wool blankets to keep from freezing to death if you get stranded.
You need a serious winter sleeping bag to stay warm. One that is rated to at least 0 degrees.
Something like this one that is rated to -20 for $82.47

I carried a winter sleeping bag year round when I lived in Wyoming.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 4:49:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Im assuming your scenario is getting stuck in a snow storm and your vehicle is your shelter.

Personally for me I would buy like 6-8 cheap wool blankets from HF and Gorilla Tape. Cars/ Trucks are horrible at keeping in heat due to the amount of windows. Id cover all the windows I can and tape it up. The more heat you can trap in the vehicle the better. Plus it is the cost as well. Sure you can get an awesome Pedelton blanket but 1 will cost between $100-$125  and even some of the surplus blankets are in the $30 range. Id rather buy (in this case) quantity of quality. (HF blankets are claiming 80% wool)
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 1:36:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I think part of the appeal with blankets is that you can wrap multiple people up and all stay warm, that's not easy to do with a mummy style sleeping bag.

I keep a Pendleton wool blanket in each car in the winter, as well as a handful of small chemical hand warmers.  I suspect if the blanket is called for, we will all ready be wearing coats and hats so it is one more layer to keep warm.  Also, you can comfortably walk with a blanket wrapped about your shoulders, a sleeping bag is not as amenable to such things.

I bought an ugly color in the off season with a coupon I found online, I don't think I paid more than $90 for each and they are soft and heavy.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 11:47:54 AM EDT
[#14]
For wool blankets I just go for the cheap Harbor Freight option.  They work great for bushcraft during the warmer seasons, but once temps start to dip anywhere below 40 degrees I want a real sleeping bag.  Be it camping or in the vehicle I just use whatever big cheap sleeping bag can be got at Walmart for less then $20.  Combined with proper clothing that will do you just fine for a night in the vehicle down to freezing temps.  I honestly think being able to zip up is key.  Of course you can always wrap up in a wool blanket but for the real situations, I want a sleeping bag.

Nothing against wool blankets, I have both, but that's JMHO.

With that said, Its hard to find a nice, high quality, real wool blanket for less then $100.  Once your over that price point you might as well just get something new & nice.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 4:52:47 PM EDT
[#15]
For those of you that have used both. Wool blanket or poncho liner?
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 8:46:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I think the advantage of wool is that it maintains warmth even when damp.  If it gets wet wring it out and it's only damp.

If that isn't something you would factor in, there are other options.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 8:55:39 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I think the advantage of wool is that it maintains warmth even when damp.  If it gets wet wring it out and it's only damp.

If that isn't something you would factor in, there are other options.
View Quote
It's been shown that it's not really the case, it will lose heat as fast as any other fabric when wet or damp. It's benifit is that when wrung out it doesn't hold as much water as cotton.

Synthetics can provide more insulation, lighter, and if wet are easier to dry to return the insulative properties.

Link Posted: 11/4/2016 11:00:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Anyone able to point me in the direction of quality surplus wool blankets? Winter is here and I really would like to outfit the truck with 1-2 of them as I spend considerable time up in the mountains and in the back country where cell phone reception is non-existent in the event I got stranded.
View Quote

You don't want to end up like this guy who died after being stranded up in the mountains for over 68 days in the winter.
He had plenty of warm clothes and blankets, all kinds of survival supplies, a months worth of food, but he wasn't prepared to spend the entire winter in his truck.
Turns out he was 3 miles away from a restaurant.
At some point you have to get out or communicate with someone.

Jerry William McDonald starved to death

http://www.columbian.com/news/2011/may/15/man-who-died-in-woods-was-just-three-miles-from-to/

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/05/14/sheriff-stranded-oregon-man-starved-froze-death.html
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 3:43:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

these are very nice
View Quote

Can anyone report back on these? Are they nice enough for general use? Soft enough for those that usually hate regular wool?
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 3:45:54 PM EDT
[#20]
I've had good luck with these. About 70% wool and have held up pretty well. And you can't beat the price! About $5

Steve

Mill Fleet Farms Sona Wool Blanket

Link Posted: 11/10/2016 5:57:39 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Just cost me $37.  I love merino wool.   Harbor freight has wool blankets for $11 if you don't mind supporting communist china.  They are actually pretty decent for emergency use.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

these are very nice

I was going to say, don't discount a Harbor Freight cargo blanket or two.  Cheap, will keep you warm, and keeps your cargo safe!

I don't know how well they work if they are wet, but if the inside of your vehicle gets wet something went seriously wrong....

They aren't bad as a one or two layer "carpet" on the bottom of a tent either.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 2:31:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have no financial connection:100% Wool Blankets (not cheap) made in USA
If he is getting them and selling for $175.00. Someone must be selling them for less!
With no logo on them!!! If anyone fine the source, post it!

PITA45

Link Posted: 11/15/2016 6:10:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
For those of you that have used both. Wool blanket or poncho liner?
View Quote

By itself, a poncho liner has next to no wind resistance, while a good wool blanket will cut most air movement. A bivy and a sleeping bag will kick the snot out of either.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 11:08:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Some wool blankets are flat out cold. I wouldn't be caught in Idaho, Utah, or Wyoming without serious consideration of warmth.

When I travel in winter I throw a couple blankets, a down comforter, water and my tool box in the back.

Also consider a couple "not so nice" blankets in event you need to give it away or use it for an unintended purpose.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 10:44:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Some wool blankets are flat out cold. I wouldn't be caught in Idaho, Utah, or Wyoming without serious consideration of warmth.

When I travel in winter I throw a couple blankets, a down comforter, water and my tool box in the back.

Also consider a couple "not so nice" blankets in event you need to give it away or use it for an unintended purpose.
View Quote

Yep, one of my genuine US Army blankets is thinner than the others I have and has a different feel to them.  I know they are all real US military surplus but there is obviously some varation in them and the one os not very warm.  My Italian officer's blankets are the best that I have and one of the three of them isn't quite as soft and thick as the other two- still better than any of my US blankets though.  The crappy wool blanket rides in the back of my truck as a safety blanket for winching or if I have to get under the truck or have to hand it out for some reason.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 3:33:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Can anyone report back on these? Are they nice enough for general use? Soft enough for those that usually hate regular wool?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

these are very nice

Yes these are super nice blankets for regular use, VERY thick and now on sale for
$29.99

Merino wool blankets $29.99
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:20:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for the update. Can't pass them up now!
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 12:54:45 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a bunch of the surplus German Bund blankets because they were the largest around.

Love the blankets. Get them if you ever find them.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 3:15:08 PM EDT
[#29]
I always just prefer a nice sleeping bag but I did buy a surplus wool blanket from GuerrillaOutfitter.com a few years back, i'm not crazy about wool blankets but this one from the site is as good as they come! Hope this helps
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 11:26:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

these are very nice
View Quote

I went with a couple of these and they have been great. No smell, very soft and very thick. Even my wife, who hates milsurp wool blankets, loves it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 11:28:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I went with a couple of these and they have been great. No smell, very soft and very thick. Even my wife, who hates milsurp wool blankets, loves it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

these are very nice

I bought one of these, it's great.  Very thick and well finished.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 11:43:31 PM EDT
[#32]
I also bought the $11 blanket from Harbor Freight.  

Specs on this blanket:

About 60" x 80", 80% wool, HF item 92625;  much thinner than the Ohio Prep Supply blanket, but then I just bought the HF blanket as an emergency blanket for the car.

This blanket comes with a strong odor, and I don't think the odor is wool.  It smells like Harbor Freight when you walk into the store.  

Besides use as an emergency blanket in the car, I think these might have some value as a barter item in case of an economic collapse, although chances for that got postponed for at least four years back in November.

I did manage to get the bad odor out, though, now it just smells like wool.  I washed the blanket three times with Woolite.  You should use the 'delicate' cycle to reduce agitation that might stretch the blanket (or wash it in a tub).  Next I ran it through the dryer in the 'air dry' mode, but that step was probably not necessary because my last step was to hang it out in the sun and breeze for two days.  I think that is the most important step, even if you don't wash it.   The blanket gets much thicker after all this in my experience, which actually isn't a good thing for storing in a car but maybe it makes it warmer.  

I think I'll keep an eye on Harbor Freight ads and if they have them on sale I might get a few more.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:18:39 PM EDT
[#33]
I'd prefer a PLB over a surplus wool blanket if my truck got stuck.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:54:31 PM EDT
[#34]
I just bought one of these for my son a month ago.  It seems like great quality.  It was 40 bux when I got it.

Amazon Product
  • ? VIRGIN MERINO WOOL WARMTH - This blanket is woven with 80% premium virgin Merino wool, which means we do not use any recycled wool in our blankets. For enhanced durability, we have added a small amount of acrylic to the warp and weft. Our blankets are woven using a twill weave.
  • ? FROM CAMPING BACKPACKS TO WEEKENDS AT THE CABIN - Our large wool blanket is 66" x 90" and weighs approximately 4 lbs. This is the perfect blanket when you need an extra layer of insulation. Great for camping, hiking, stargazing, backpacking, bushcraft, boating, fishing, or storing in the trunk of your car as a utility blanket for emergency preparedness. A wool blanket is an essential addition to your outdoor gear and equipment collection.
  • ? EDGING AND FINISH - Our Explorer Collection wool blankets have a milled finish, which means there is inter-fiber felting and fabric consolidation, thereby creating a denser blanket. The edging of this blanket is double-stitched using a thick polyester thread intended to withstand years of use.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top