Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2016 2:51:55 PM EDT
Just got my grandfather's old EM 400.  I hasn't been started in at least 15 years. It still has gas in it.  I have the manual in .pdf.

My plan is to:
1. Empty the gas, & refill with alcohol free.
2. Check the plug.
3. Replace the oil.
4. Check the air filter.
5. Try to start it.

Any other advice?

What is it worth if it runs?  That will tell me how much I can put into it if necessary.  My guess is abut $75.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 3:45:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Might want to pull the carb off and clean the bowl and jet.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 3:47:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Might want to pull the carb off and clean the bowl and jet.
View Quote

What he said
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 3:51:17 PM EDT
[#3]
My guess is you will need a carb rebuild and/or cleaning.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 5:01:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Fuel lines, and most gaskets will be dry and "leaky," so be sure to do outside where there is less potential for damage or fire.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 5:01:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I just went through this with my dad's generator, a 15 year old Coleman Powermate.  It hadn't been started in 8 years and still had 8 year old gas (with sta-bil) in the tank.  He did cutoff the fuel last time he used it and let the carb run dry.
I didn't know it had 8 year old gas in it until he told me later so I just opened the fuel cutoff, set the choke and gave it a good pull.  It fired right up on that first pull and ran fine.

-Deke
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 11:16:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What is it worth if it runs?  That will tell me how much I can put into it if necessary.  My guess is abut $75.
View Quote

You might be surprised.

Older Honda "lunchbox" generators have a loyal following.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 3:31:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Successful Update:

I followed my plan:

1. Empty the gas, & refill with alcohol free.
2. Check the plug.
3. Replace the oil.
4. Check the air filter.
5. Try to start it

I did not pull the bowl or check the jet because I was worried about any gaskets.

It started on about the 20th pull and runs fine.

Thanks all for the help.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 7:55:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Those are awesome little gens.  Indestructible - except rust.  I'd run two tanks of gas with seafoam through it to really blast out the system.  That should help clean any carb/fuel system deposits.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:08:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Those are awesome little gens.  Indestructible - except rust.  I'd run two tanks of gas with seafoam through it to really blast out the system.  That should help clean any carb/fuel system deposits.
View Quote

Wilco. Seafoam ordered.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:38:01 PM EDT
[#10]
only thing i'd done diffrent would be to drop a bit of marvel mystery oil on the piston and let it soak a bit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top