Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/25/2016 3:42:03 PM EDT
Hi.  I am trying to simplify everything I have and get things as basic as possible.  I would like a way to carry a few spare mags for an AR that is as lowkey as possible.  If something were to happen I want to be able to be prepared without pulling much attention to myself.  I don't plan on fighting, I plan on staying the fuck away from anything and anyone that could harm me or my family, but if I don't have an option or I'm having to shoot while I run, I think I'd like something very simple to carry spare mags.  I've seen some really thin chest rigs that I could hide under an overshirt/jacket, and I've also seen an HSGI leg rig that carries 2 AR, 2 pistol mags, and a flashlight.  

ETA I also would be fine with belt carry, I was looking at the HSGI belt mounted taco.

What do you recommend?  These are just the options I've found so far.  I want something light, simple, lowkey.  Preferably the ability to carry at least two spare AR mags and possibly a flashlight.  Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 6:56:13 PM EDT
[#1]
For covert thigh, Maxpedition Versipack range, with velcro inserts for the mags?
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:55:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out the Tactical Gear under the Armory Link.
They may can give you some.more info there .

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 9:06:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Avoid any sort of leg rig/drop leg/thigh rig if at all possible.  They absolutely suck to wear for any length of time.  If at all possible stick to a chest rig or belt rig.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:50:52 AM EDT
[#4]
HPG Recon Kit Bag

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:34:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Bama-shooter and his general discussion thread sort of cover this, I mentioned it in another thread and the bama-shooter thread is in general discussion and has been going on for years.

I never thought about it and never competed with rifle, so I was surprised to see a mag holder for an ar15 magazine on a belt in one of the picks in that thread.  

If you want all your mags available, then a chest something or other seems the most likely route.

To me a loaded rifle, don't care if it is a 10,20,30 or whatever round magazine and maybe a 20rd magazine for backup on the belt will either give me time to get to cover or not.  Can get to other mags from there.

I am terrible about dropping a rifle mag in a back pocket when out on the range, just shooting on someone's property and having a bit of fun and nothing serious.

I am looking at the good mag holders and planning to order one or two.  They can be expensive.  I am still researching it.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:23:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Let rigs suck in general. Just spend a few hours in a drop leg pistol holster and you will realize they just plain suck for real life use. Stick with a simple chest rig and a few magazines instead of 20. I like to have my pistol on my chest rig in a mag pouch as a holster. It allows the mounted flash light to stay on the pistol in the pouch.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 4:22:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 9:03:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Let rigs suck in general. Just spend a few hours in a drop leg pistol holster and you will realize they just plain suck for real life use. Stick with a simple chest rig and a few magazines instead of 20. I like to have my pistol on my chest rig in a mag pouch as a holster. It allows the mounted flash light to stay on the pistol in the pouch.
View Quote

It almost looked like that was what Weller was doing on S2E1 or 2 of Blindspot.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 8:34:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Maybe something like this? You could configure it the way you want. Its designed to double as a chest rig. Check out the photos. The photos take a bit to load.

Finnish M05 drop leg platform - Varusteleka.com
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 2:42:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Kydex double mag for rifle and a kydex double mag for pistol. Where a heavy duty belt or riggers belt and where a shirt that covers them. problem solved.

Vertx makes a pant that has mag holders in the cargo pockets but no way I would want to have to shoot and move with 30 round mags in my pocket!
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 5:11:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I used to have a pair of Canadian fatigues that had mag pouches inside the chest and waist cargo pockets, 6 in all. The material was very light and allowed the mags to flop around but nearly any heavyweight shirt could be reinforced to handle the weight. Maybe stitch in a thin piece of stiff plastic (day pack frame sheeting, for example) a couple inches bigger than the pocket. Stitch along the pocket seams and a couple inches farther out to spread the load. Even a couple layers of plastic from 2-liter soda bottles would probably work.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 4:13:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Warbelt with slight drop

My chest rig

Backup chest rig

Another

Link Posted: 10/9/2016 1:23:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Put it on your belt.

Link Posted: 10/9/2016 5:42:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Leg rigs do allow you to drop all your other gear and still keep your handgun on your body but they suck for vehicle use and long term wear. They constantly try to slide down. If you do wear one, attach it to a separate belt, not your pants belt or it will try to "depants" you after awhile.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 1:35:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I wore a leg rig on one of my deployments in Afghan. I only did it to be able to carry as many mags as possible as I already had 8- 9 on my vest.  With that said I wouldn't go with a leg rig. It swings back and forth when you run, causes rashes and chaffing, force's your pants to sag on one side and it's very awkward having a lot if weight on one thigh and not the other.  Just my experience from trying different gear on deployments in the Infantry. To with a vest or belt system. If you have only 1 mag you can fit it in your belt. Of you have more , look into a vest. Or chest rig
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 2:11:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Where to begin?

Leg rigs can be a pain in the ass, particularly around vehicles.  You can use them successfully and get used to them, but that takes a lot of time spent wearing them ALL the time, not just at the range.  You also need to play with them.  Keep them high.  The higher the better.  That hollywood around just above the knee shit will drive you ducking insane.  Also b prepared to mod the straps.  The only way to do it is wear it and work with it.  And unless you are wearing a trench coat they are not exactly discrete.

Chest rigs.  Love mine but not discrete, even with a cover garment.  Sorry, anything capable of holding multiple rifle mags is not discrete.  Also, if you do not wear it a lot, to the point you do not notice it when wearing it, you are going to be fucking with it.  Which once again means not discrete.  Get one with a map pocket big enough to hold a 6x8 ar 550 or 650 plate for extra armor.

Warbelts.  Never tried one unless you count ALICE and her pouchy friends and suspenders.  However, I have been a cop for a long fucking time.  Unless you spend tons of time wearing it and accessing shit, you are not gonna grab the right thing at the right time.  They are also not exactly comfy and require a lot of time in them to get to the point you are not bumping into shit, hanging up on the steering wheel entering exiting the vehicle etc.

Ok, I can't help it.  You are running around with a rifle and wanting to be discrete?  Ok, I can kind of get the I want an extra mag at all times, just in case and you can leave the rifle in the vehicle idea.  But I don't buy it.  How about leave a bandolier of mags (3 or 6) with the rifle.  Grab rifle, grab mags and go. Or get one of those stock mag holder things.

If you absolutely have to have a mag or two for that rifle on you at all times, even when not carrying said rifle, just get a single mag carrier for you belt or stuff the thing in your offside rear jeans pocket or a cargo pocket.  Personally, I go for the back pocket in this situation.  Why?  My off duty setup on a daily basis (bug in a pocket, clip knife in the other pocket, fixed blade and spare glock mag on the left, glock 34 on the right, means any where I put that mag on my belt is going to interfere with something else.  And if my choice is just one mag in the rifle but unimpeded access to shit I may need RFN, I can live with one mag in the rifle easier than I can fumbling a draw of a gun or knife or screwing the pooch on a pistol reload.

I tend to view it as, if it is time to put on the chest rig, plate carrier or warbelt, the time for discretion is deader than Hillary's integrity.

Also, notice the common trend with all of the above gear.  IF you are not training with it on a regular enough basis, it is as much of a liability as it is an aide.  So think long and hard before buying.

Finally, you might get killed by not having an extra rifle mag.  You might also get killed not getting into or out of your vehicle in a timely manner because all that shit you are not used to wearing is caught on the seatbelt, wedged in the steering wheel and other wise fucking up your timely entrance or exit.  It might also mean you are nosier, especially the thigh rig.  If you are not used to having a thigh 3 inches wider than normal, it will hang up on door ways and the like, or bump into shit.  

JMHO YMMV
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 12:53:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Look here
http://highthreatconcealment.com

Their gear was developed in Iraq by a couple Blackwater
Guys looking for something better for low profile security
Details operating in and around vehicles, often in suits.

Check it out

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 1:02:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 1:07:42 AM EDT
[#19]
If you want uber simple consider US GI surplus
7 pocket bandoliers. They weigh nothing, are super
thin and can be easily modded into a chest rig.

I think most go way overboard unless you are cruising
Route Irish...
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 1:54:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Route Irish...
View Quote

These don't hold loaded mags, just stripper clips. Is there a modification?
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 9:38:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Route Irish...

no, can't even stuff 20 rounders in them as the bottoms will tear out, tilting the mag making it hard to pull out or losing it. usually when needed most... The newer ones are even thinner than the 60-70's era..
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 9:09:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Route Irish...

Instead of the ammo bandolier, there are 3 and 6 pack bandos made for magazine.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 2:09:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Single shot/ break action shotgun and a 1911 in a belt holster...  

What more does one need?  
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:23:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Chest rigs have there place; they are especially handy if you're constantly getting into and out of a vehicle.  With that said, for "foot patrols" around my property and what I train with is a simple battle belt.  I need to swap over to a TAG Warfighter Patrol Belt as the stiffeners will keep the heavier load from rolling.  I do have some HSGI suspenders I may try out, but fully loaded this setup is still pretty comfortable and I can still perform all my drills.  For colder weather, I have a couple of slightly larger jackets that completely cover the belt up.  As is, it still works well getting into and out of my truck.  It rides higher which helps (except the drop pouch FAK, which is typically just used when I don't have the waist pack attached on the back because I'm carrying a pack); this is sole reason I don't care for any drop-leg holsters or pouches...they suck if you're constantly climbing in or out of a vehicle.  

Something like the Blue Force Gear Essential Kit Chest Rig would be perfect for very low-profile essentials.  These also disappear under a large jacket.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:38:26 AM EDT
[#25]
[

View Quote

Not true, they dont carry 30rd mags. We carried loaded 20rd mags in bandoliers in Nam. Ive got two sets for the two of us.
Over your shoulder, under a coat or poncho. We have already used these. I have 5 loaded in an ammo can ready to go.

BTW, Midway sells a 4 pocket heavy bandoleer for $16. Not as flimsy as the AR 4 or 7 pocket bandoleers.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939189814/midwayusa-4-magazine-pouch-ar-15-and-ak-47-rifle
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 12:21:38 AM EDT
[#26]

who makes this? ive been looking for  a setup similar to this for a while now
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 1:50:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Eagle Patrol Bandoleer.  Carries 4 AR mags & 2 pistol mags or tools.

http://www.eagleindustries.com/products/detail.aspx?id=205
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 7:50:30 PM EDT
[#28]
I hiked for 7 miles with a deputy wearing a drop leg rig with a G21 the other night.  I asked him how it was and he didn't complain.  Full pack as well.

Another buddy wears drop leg holsters bow hunting every year.

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 6:43:38 AM EDT
[#29]
I have one of these and it is only $18

ACE CASE
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 12:04:01 AM EDT
[#30]
The ACE case looks pretty good. I go with the LAPG bail out bag. $20 and slings over the shoulder nicely. Plus can carry misc stuff like some extra water, first aid, and a meal or two. LAPG Bailout Bag

Hopefully they'll get a grey version sometime soon. I like the grey as more of a universal camo than the other colors.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 2:11:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The ACE case looks pretty good. I go with the LAPG bail out bag. $20 and slings over the shoulder nicely. Plus can carry misc stuff like some extra water, first aid, and a meal or two. LAPG Bailout Bag

Hopefully they'll get a grey version sometime soon. I like the grey as more of a universal camo than the other colors.
View Quote

1h 48m countdown to some kind of deal on it, maybe $19.99 or less?
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 5:17:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Up now. $16.99.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 6:10:02 PM EDT
[#33]
If you want REALLY low key, how about a Maxpedition pack?
I have the Gearslinger and in the rear compartment there is a huge Velcro panel attached.
I can easily carry four AR mags, a G17 and a couple of spare Gloclk mags, up to the 33 rounders if you so desire.
The design allows you to swing the bag from rear to front and quickly access the gear inside.

Gearslinger Pack
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 11:06:16 PM EDT
[#34]
If you're still looking for something KISS simple, I would recommend this 6 Mag Bandolier.

It could be worn under your coat, so you can zip it up and conceal the mags, or unzip it and let all hell break loose. You could still carry a couple pistol mags on your belt, plus an IFAK, dump pouch, and flashlight.

GGG 6 Mag Bandolier
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 8:54:38 PM EDT
[#35]
ROCK6,
Always appreciate your posts. I like the knife and sheath. Who makes those?
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 10:58:57 AM EDT
[#36]
What you seek is a micro chest rig. Blue force gear..

Link Posted: 2/5/2017 2:11:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
ROCK6,
Always appreciate your posts. I like the knife and sheath. Who makes those?
View Quote

Sorry for the late follow up. It's made by Mission Knives; they're popular for their titanium alloys, but they have the same versions in A2 steel.  Ironically, I found this particular model (MPK10 A2) with a 5.5" blade on sale (something crazy, like $50), so I did the typical ARCOM strategy and bought two  

Edited to add pictures, because the best responses are often done better without words  My belt has changed a little.  I've found I needed a knife that sat a little lower, so my custom Ed Martin (now called the Mk-T3 E&E) was the best fit and didn't interfere in several positions, to include some "tactical falling" which I excel at.  Along with the Ed Martin, I tried a larger Fehrman Last Chance, the Mission MPK10-A2, a Swamp Rat Knife Works Ratmandu (excellent blade!) and my long-time Mad Dog PATAK.  The PATAK is by far the best blade I've used and it's been on several rigs for field work and deployments as well as EDC.  Regardless of the choice, I've found blades around 5" (give or take half-and-inch) are about as big as I can handle when actually doing drills from getting out of a vehicle to various shooting positions and rolling around like a stuck pig when you smash your finger when in the prone.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 3:20:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Sorry for the late follow up. It's made by Mission Knives; they're popular for their titanium alloys, but they have the same versions in A2 steel.  Ironically, I found this particular model (MPK10 A2) with a 5.5" blade on sale (something crazy, like $50), so I did the typical ARCOM strategy and bought two  

Edited to add pictures, because the best responses are often done better without words  My belt has changed a little.  I've found I needed a knife that sat a little lower, so my custom Ed Martin (now called the Mk-T3 E&E) was the best fit and didn't interfere in several positions, to include some "tactical falling" which I excel at.  Along with the Ed Martin, I tried a larger Fehrman Last Chance, the Mission MPK10-A2, a Swamp Rat Knife Works Ratmandu (excellent blade!) and my long-time Mad Dog PATAK.  The PATAK is by far the best blade I've used and it's been on several rigs for field work and deployments as well as EDC.  Regardless of the choice, I've found blades around 5" (give or take half-and-inch) are about as big as I can handle when actually doing drills from getting out of a vehicle to various shooting positions and rolling around like a stuck pig when you smash your finger when in the prone.  

ROCK6
View Quote

No problem! Thanks for the reply.  I will check those out.   David
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:26:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Nice gear suggestions.  I like the battle belt ROCK6.  

I've got an older chest rig similar to that micro rig.   Four mags and mollie web for attaching additional pouches.   Slim profile and I think it's an old TAG rig.

I've used it just messing around hunting and in some training and such.   Whatever you get, use it.  Wear it around and see if it fits your intended purpose.  

Something like ROCK6's belt set up can be quick to put on and easy for accessing your gear.  Looks good to me.

Also like the discreet kydex holster and mag set ups.  Coupled with a good belt and a loose shirt or jacket could easily cover a couple of spare mags.  About as low profile as you can get if that's possible while carrying a rifle haha!  But if you just have your sidearm, couple of mags and a couple of spare AR mags, rifle in the vehicle or close at hand you'd be about as low profile as you can get in that scene I'd say.
Good luck with it!
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:36:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Double tap.  Oops
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 11:39:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Route Irish...
View Quote
Route Irish isn't so bad anymore.  The colored fountains are all lit and the flying man is looking good.  At least it was yesterday.  Op...belt with mag.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:00:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

ROCK6
View Quote

Damn you Rock...  After studying your belt and setup I couldn't resist.  I just finished placing an order for some stuff to complete my own custom "battle belt" build...  I don't have a dedicated setup and figured for range duty, or even SHTF a dedicated setup would be a good idea.  I am a 1911 and shotgun guy so it will look a little different.  I like the idea of having the pistol, a few spare mags, FAK, knife, multi-tool, flash light, dump pouch, spare long gun ammo, and a small utility pouch with a PSK.

I am not a huge fan of molle so mine is going to be based of a heavy 2" duty style nylon duty belt with a home made/ custom 4" padded inner.  All the gear will ride on the belt.

I think it will make a great range setup.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 8:02:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Damn you Rock...  After studying your belt and setup I couldn't resist.  I just finished placing an order for some stuff to complete my own custom "battle belt" build...  I don't have a dedicated setup and figured for range duty, or even SHTF a dedicated setup would be a good idea.  I am a 1911 and shotgun guy so it will look a little different.  I like the idea of having the pistol, a few spare mags, FAK, knife, multi-tool, flash light, dump pouch, spare long gun ammo, and a small utility pouch with a PSK.

I am not a huge fan of molle so mine is going to be based of a heavy 2" duty style nylon duty belt with a home made/ custom 4" padded inner.  All the gear will ride on the belt.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ROCK6

You chose...wisely.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:37:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

I should say I'm sorry, but I think you'll end up appreciating it.  I've got tons of setups, but I've honestly found a simple "battle" belt setup is the fastest to don, doesn't restrict any movement is fairly light (the wider pad does help) and this has become my preferred training rig.  I just wanted to see how it would wear for extended times and I spent a whole day wearing a full load.  Granted it was cold day, so when working I could either strap it to the outside of lighter clothing or use a larger smock/jacket to wear over it for pretty good concealment. I did basic chores of burning boxes, mowed a small part of the lawn (it wasn't really needed being 'winter'); took the garbage out, filled some pot holes in our road and did some patrolling (walking) around our property.  It may be overkill to some and even in the classes I take you could pretty much get by with just a spare rifle and pistol mag holder and a dump pouch, but this is honestly a very comfortable layout with items I've come to appreciate having close at hand.  Two rifle and two pistol mags aren't a combat load but I can't think of too many social encounters where this load can't end discussions or at least get me out of a bad situation or back to the house/truck for resupply.  Sure, it's all "hypothetical", but when training, two spare mags lets me run a little longer.

You have to be careful as I was actually considering adding HSGI suspenders, but decided to keep the weight comfortable without them.  The beauty of this setup is a grab and go belt that is really fast to put on and run with.  I have one for my AR and one for a 9mm "pistol" setup (CZ Scorpion or ATI 9mm Glock).  I would be interested in seeing how you set yours up with a shotgun.  That's one of my 2017 goals is getting to a shotgun class and brushing up on my skills with the scattergun.  I have some ideas, but it's all academic until I can run a class or two and figure out what will actually work best.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 2:20:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I should say I'm sorry, but I think you'll end up appreciating it.  I've got tons of setups, but I've honestly found a simple "battle" belt setup is the fastest to don, doesn't restrict any movement is fairly light (the wider pad does help) and this has become my preferred training rig.  I just wanted to see how it would wear for extended times and I spent a whole day wearing a full load.  Granted it was cold day, so when working I could either strap it to the outside of lighter clothing or use a larger smock/jacket to wear over it for pretty good concealment. I did basic chores of burning boxes, mowed a small part of the lawn (it wasn't really needed being 'winter'); took the garbage out, filled some pot holes in our road and did some patrolling (walking) around our property.  It may be overkill to some and even in the classes I take you could pretty much get by with just a spare rifle and pistol mag holder and a dump pouch, but this is honestly a very comfortable layout with items I've come to appreciate having close at hand.  Two rifle and two pistol mags aren't a combat load but I can't think of too many social encounters where this load can't end discussions or at least get me out of a bad situation or back to the house/truck for resupply.  Sure, it's all "hypothetical", but when training, two spare mags lets me run a little longer.

You have to be careful as I was actually considering adding HSGI suspenders, but decided to keep the weight comfortable without them.  The beauty of this setup is a grab and go belt that is really fast to put on and run with.  I have one for my AR and one for a 9mm "pistol" setup (CZ Scorpion or ATI 9mm Glock).  I would be interested in seeing how you set yours up with a shotgun.  That's one of my 2017 goals is getting to a shotgun class and brushing up on my skills with the scattergun.  I have some ideas, but it's all academic until I can run a class or two and figure out what will actually work best.  

ROCK6
View Quote

No three gun for me just a simple setup for my personal range and around my property.  I am going to run a similar layout to your first posted rig, just a simple 12 round shot shell molle pouch instead of the two at mag holders.  I am going to use universal holster and mag pouch to start with, so it can adapt for which ever pistol I want to run.  If I really start to like it as a primary setup then I may go dedicated holsters and mag pouches.  Just waiting for my orders to show up in the next week or so to get it together.  It is defiantly a budget// universal build, not high speed low drag.  I will post some pictures when start putting it together.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 2:31:09 PM EDT
[#46]
1 rifle and two pistol on a good belt (+pistol and BOK)

and 2-4 rifle mags in a chest rig.

no drop legs for me
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:53:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

No three gun for me just a simple setup for my personal range and around my property.  I am going to run a similar layout to your first posted rig, just a simple 12 round shot shell molle pouch instead of the two at mag holders.  I am going to use universal holster and mag pouch to start with, so it can adapt for which ever pistol I want to run.  If I really start to like it as a primary setup then I may go dedicated holsters and mag pouches.  Just waiting for my orders to show up in the next week or so to get it together.  It is defiantly a budget// universal build, not high speed low drag.  I will post some pictures when start putting it together.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ROCK6

Rock, It may be off topic for this thread but can you share some photos, info and recommendations when it comes to the hill people gear chest pack?  Do you use the standard model? Runner?  I ask because I know you have posted about it a few times before.

I have been seriously considering getting one of those as well, but not so much for CCW but more of a spot to carry kit items, that I don't want bouncing around in my cargo pockets or annoying me in the regular slash pockets.  Think PSK, wallet, keys, phone, etc when out on a short day hike or doing some trail maintenance on my property...  Riding ATV to.  I will be honest, I rarely carry when doing those tasks so I don't want to say that would be its main purpose, though I might carry a bit more if I had another option.  Most reviews tend to lean towards it as a primary carry rig, I don't think that would be my primary use for it.

I sweat a lot when active so I am not sure how comfortable a chest rig like the HPG kit bag would be for me.  Most of the time when out on day hikes I use what's called my "hiking belt" which is nothing more then a very small fanny type pack, with an alice style canteen, cup, in the carrier, and an average side roll up dump pouch incase I need to carry something more.  In the waste pack usually just goes my EDC for the day hike as I don't like that stuff in my pockets once you start to clock in the miles.  

My "hiking belt" has served me well last year when the wife and I stared doing a lot more hour or two day hikes.  I don't really need the canteen, or cup, or dump pouch but the survivalist in me has a hard time resisting.  I really like having a place for my EDC vs pockets, also allows me to wear light weight shorts etc.

I guess I am rambling now but do you think the HPG chest pack would work for someone like me?  I could see myself also using it for short day hunts as well.  Anything more then a couple hours and I just use a lumbar waste pack with shoulder straps...  I guess its just hard for me to dump $100+ on something I am not sure if I will use much or even like.  I have dozens of packs.  External, Internal, Kelty, Maxpedition, Drago, waste packs,  convertible waste packs, lumbar packs, haversacks, even a stash pack...  At this point I can't justify being frivols as my gear room is full, I really need to think, plan out, and evaluate any more gear purchases at this point in my life because I have more then I use, and much of it is nice quality gear so...

Hear is my hiking belt anyways:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Its very light, and I only put as much water as I think I will need for whatever short hike we are on that day.  I usually start full but super hydrate once we hit the trail and its less then half full before I know it.  If its warm out I can end up sweating like crazy as in totally soaking wet shirt by the time we are done...  That is why I go with a waste pack vs camel back type setup, because when carrying a pack my back is almost instantly soaking wet if its warm out.  I think that's one reason why I am hesitant on the chest pack idea.

Attachment Attached File

I don't think I had the roll up dump pouch on it, in that pic.

---

I think my only hope is to stop reading forums and watching youtube, I get way to many gear ideas watching and learning what others do...
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:25:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Rock, It may be off topic for this thread but can you share some photos, info and recommendations when it comes to the hill people gear chest pack?  Do you use the standard model? Runner?  I ask because I know you have posted about it a few times before.

I have been seriously considering getting one of those as well, but not so much for CCW but more of a spot to carry kit items, that I don't want bouncing around in my cargo pockets or annoying me in the regular slash pockets.  Think PSK, wallet, keys, phone, etc when out on a short day hike or doing some trail maintenance on my property...  Riding ATV to.  I will be honest, I rarely carry when doing those tasks so I don't want to say that would be its main purpose, though I might carry a bit more if I had another option.  Most reviews tend to lean towards it as a primary carry rig, I don't think that would be my primary use for it.

I sweat a lot when active so I am not sure how comfortable a chest rig like the HPG kit bag would be for me.  Most of the time when out on day hikes I use what's called my "hiking belt" which is nothing more then a very small fanny type pack, with an alice style canteen, cup, in the carrier, and an average side roll up dump pouch incase I need to carry something more.  In the waste pack usually just goes my EDC for the day hike as I don't like that stuff in my pockets once you start to clock in the miles.  

My "hiking belt" has served me well last year when the wife and I stared doing a lot more hour or two day hikes.  I don't really need the canteen, or cup, or dump pouch but the survivalist in me has a hard time resisting.  I really like having a place for my EDC vs pockets, also allows me to wear light weight shorts etc.

I guess I am rambling now but do you think the HPG chest pack would work for someone like me?  I could see myself also using it for short day hunts as well.  Anything more then a couple hours and I just use a lumbar waste pack with shoulder straps...  I guess its just hard for me to dump $100+ on something I am not sure if I will use much or even like.  I have dozens of packs.  External, Internal, Kelty, Maxpedition, Drago, waste packs,  convertible waste packs, lumbar packs, haversacks, even a stash pack...  At this point I can't justify being frivols as my gear room is full, I really need to think, plan out, and evaluate any more gear purchases at this point in my life because I have more then I use, and much of it is nice quality gear so...
View Quote

Well, this is a "chest rig", so I think it's still kosher for the OP's topic  I've got two standard Kit Bags, Original Snubby and the Runner's Kit Bag.  The Snubby has been my primary for backpacking and I use the standard Kit Bag for other activities like hunting, fishing, kayaking, mountain biking, etc.  Yes, the Kit Bags were designed for chest-mounted concealed carry and IMHO, it excels pretty good for that purpose.  With that said, it's similar to a lot of fly-fishing chest bags and it makes handy things very handy.  My preference for the Kit Bags are that they integrate well with a backpack, but can still be carried as a stand-alone.  Additionally, it just seems like a natural area to carry a bag that size and it doesn't get in the way when operating a vehicle or even doing technical activities like rappelling or rock climbing.  

Now, the downside is that it does trap heat.  I don't think it's that bad, I sweat a lot and we hike in the SE during the summer with high temps and humidity. I've found it tolerable and not really any more uncomfortable than wearing a pack with the same sweating issues.  But, I do agree, it's hard to no if it will work for you until you actually use it.  I'll be using one down in the FL Keys next month, so hopefully I get some pictures on the kayak.  The other advantage is keeping your gear higher, above your waist.  When backpacking, I really limit what I carry in my pockets and even my belt is thinner webbing since my primary concern is comfort when wear the pack's waist-belt.  The Kit bag allows me to keep essentials off my waist, but still handy. If you do any fording or river crossings, it's another nice aspect to not worry about water waist-deep and getting anything wet.  I even did some swimming with the Kit Bag and my pistol just to see how it would handle.

Hey, if you want to try one out, PM me, the coyote one I gave to my son and he won't be using it for a while...at least you could use it for a few hikes and see if it will work or not.  Another option, albeit a larger capacity, is the RIBZ packs.  I have one I use for hunting, but I can only wear it in cold weather as it wears like a vest and traps heat worse than the Kit Bags.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 2:39:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Well, this is a "chest rig", so I think it's still kosher for the OP's topic  I've got two standard Kit Bags, Original Snubby and the Runner's Kit Bag.  The Snubby has been my primary for backpacking and I use the standard Kit Bag for other activities like hunting, fishing, kayaking, mountain biking, etc.  Yes, the Kit Bags were designed for chest-mounted concealed carry and IMHO, it excels pretty good for that purpose.  With that said, it's similar to a lot of fly-fishing chest bags and it makes handy things very handy.  My preference for the Kit Bags are that they integrate well with a backpack, but can still be carried as a stand-alone.  Additionally, it just seems like a natural area to carry a bag that size and it doesn't get in the way when operating a vehicle or even doing technical activities like rappelling or rock climbing.  

Now, the downside is that it does trap heat.  I don't think it's that bad, I sweat a lot and we hike in the SE during the summer with high temps and humidity. I've found it tolerable and not really any more uncomfortable than wearing a pack with the same sweating issues.  But, I do agree, it's hard to no if it will work for you until you actually use it.  I'll be using one down in the FL Keys next month, so hopefully I get some pictures on the kayak.  The other advantage is keeping your gear higher, above your waist.  When backpacking, I really limit what I carry in my pockets and even my belt is thinner webbing since my primary concern is comfort when wear the pack's waist-belt.  The Kit bag allows me to keep essentials off my waist, but still handy. If you do any fording or river crossings, it's another nice aspect to not worry about water waist-deep and getting anything wet.  I even did some swimming with the Kit Bag and my pistol just to see how it would handle.

Hey, if you want to try one out, PM me, the coyote one I gave to my son and he won't be using it for a while...at least you could use it for a few hikes and see if it will work or not.  Another option, albeit a larger capacity, is the RIBZ packs.  I have one I use for hunting, but I can only wear it in cold weather as it wears like a vest and traps heat worse than the Kit Bags.  

ROCK6
View Quote

Thanks for the reply and pictures.  I also appreciate the offer but I just said the heck with it and ordered up an original kit bag for myself... Only live once right? why not.  If I don't like it I am sure I can ditch it on ebay for not much less then new...  All things considered, and reading some of the HPG forums I really think something like this will fit my lifestyle.  More then once ATV use was mentioned and I spend a bit of time on wheelers, and snowmobiles.  Nothing worse then trying to stuff your jacket pockets full of EDC & other kit.  Wallet, cell, EDC, a few other survival items and it really can uncomfortably overload my snowmobile jacket pockets.  I could carry a backpack but I am not riding mountains in the back country, I am riding groomed trails, though that doesn't mean I don't want to have some basic survival kit items on my person should I have to walk, those items would be very accessible and comfortably carried outside my jacket in something like the HPG kit bag.  Same goes for ATV or kayak.

Considering I can come up with a handful of uses without really trying, makes me think I might actually be able to make use of one.  I looked for other affordable options but there really isn't anything out there that is similar or comparable except maybe some fishing options.

I think it may be nice on half day hunts where I don't bring a pack as well.  Again I don't mind having things in my pockets, until you start covering miles...  Preaching to the choir I am sure.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 3:37:50 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top