Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2016 10:10:36 PM EDT
For say a 3-4 day trip? I have a Sawyer filter but would rather not use it unless I have to.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 10:37:30 PM EDT
[#1]
If I places to refill I like Kor Nava. Just wish it was more than 24oz's.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 10:37:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
For say a 3-4 day trip? I have a Sawyer filter but would rather not use it unless I have to.
View Quote

For backpacking trips, I used to carry two 1 liter nalgene bottles.  I got tired of having to pull them in/out of the pack for a drink, so I switched to a camelbak 3 liter bladder.  Much easier to drink while on the move.  Now I carry a 1 liter Platypus bottle rolled up as a spare, along with my camelbak.

For a BOB that may have to sit idle for days/weeks/moths, I'd use something sturdy like Nalgene bottles that I could rinse/wash every few weeks to avoid funk.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 11:08:25 PM EDT
[#3]
USGI  canteen
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 12:45:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Camelbak and MSR dromedary bags, you need to use the bags a bit to get the plastic taste gone though.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 1:49:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Assuming no re-supply, I use multiple bladders in my pack and additional USGI canteens as needed.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 3:21:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Smart water or Gatorade bottles, hard to beat the price.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 3:48:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Smart water bottles and Sawyer mini filter. The bottles mouth piece will back flush the Sawyer filter. I liked having a water bladder, but I never replaced my old one.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 7:54:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Smart water bottles and Sawyer mini filter. The bottles mouth piece will back flush the Sawyer filter. I liked having a water bladder, but I never replaced my old one.
View Quote

+1

The Smart water bottles are very durable compared to the whisper thin cheap water bottles.  I take the 750 ml bottle's squeeze top and stick it on 1 L bottles (the 1 L bottles only come with a screw on cap, at least around here).  I also carry a 3 L bag for camp cleaning/cooking or long distances between water sources.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 8:45:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Camelback and Nalgene (knockoff) bottles.  Cheap and work great.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 3:47:39 PM EDT
[#10]
3L Camelbak and 1 or 1.5L Nalgenes for backpacking.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 4:05:57 PM EDT
[#11]
That would be 3-4 gallons minimum... Unless I am car camping there is no way I am bringing 25-40lbs of water in addition to my other gear!

If you aren't in the back woods you can likely refill along the way

I would carry a hydration bladder, Nalgene bottle and a Sawyer mini.
https://sawyer.com/products/sawyer-mini-filter/

If you are dead set on bringing the water look at MSR Dromeday. I use them for motorcycle camping and they have proven to be very tough.
http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/water/storage/dromedary-bags/product
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 4:32:24 PM EDT
[#12]
3 liter bladder
Smart water bottles

1 liter Nalgene

3x platypus 2 liter water bags.

Katadyn mini or hiker.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 5:59:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 6:03:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I ca not stand the taste of the hydration packs. I have had a couple of them. All have been nasty.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 6:09:49 AM EDT
[#15]
3-4 days, I’m assuming you have water sources along the way or at a destination?  Hiking in the extreme heat and humidity of the southeast, I consume about a 1.5 liters every two hours when backpacking on the trail.  I only carry about 3 liters on my person when backpacking, so it gives me an average range of about four hours of backpacking or roughly eight miles (terrain dependent).  

Now, our routes often have springs or other water sources, so we tank up at every opportunity.  We’ve run dry a couple times (which I hate), but knew there was a water source within the next mile or two.  There have been times where the maps will show a much greater distance between water sources…this is where planning and having additional containers comes in handy.  Water weighs a ton and you want to carry the minimal amount safe, but there are times where you may need to carry extra because of the limited sources for resupply.  

There have been times where we know we wouldn’t make the camp site with a water source or if we push beyond it for a few miles to get some extra distance.  Both those situations occur frequently and require us to tank up as more water than normal as that water will be used for cooking and washing for both the evening and morning.  We won’t be carrying the extra water very far, but it’s important to have that extra amount.

Once in camp where a water source is nearby, we fill up on water for various tasks of topping off our hydration bladders and water bottles along with enough water to cook, clean up or wash up.

My water setup has been an evolution and just gets slight refinements, but I’m pretty happy with it.  

Basic proponents are:

2-3 liter hydration bladder (right now it’s the lightweight 2.5 liter Osprey)
One liter SmartWater bottle with the squeeze top added (a very functional addition for cleaning tasks)
1.5-2 liter Platypus or Evernew collapsible container (empty except for camp or carry extra water)
Two Sawyer 2-liter squeeze pouches.  One is a backup, but both can be used to transport water if needed
Sea-to-Summit Sil-Nylon (recent upgrade) 10-liter collapsible buck; handy to transport water short distances

Excluding the bucket, I could easily transport 9-10 liters of water; a ton of water for backpacking (actually way too much to carry any significant distance).  For more arid conditions or lack of water sources, water management becomes more critical, which is why much depends on location and season.  

I’m considering an upgrade (downgrade as it’s slightly heavier) to the new 750ml Vargo BOT with handles as it would serve as a cook kit but also give you another container to transport water.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 9:16:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Smart Water bottles on the cheap....Evernew bags if you want to spend more.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 10:21:43 AM EDT
[#17]
3-4 days of water is ~ 4 gallons minimum = 32 pounds.
Why would you not want to filter along the way?
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 11:39:42 AM EDT
[#18]
I keep in each car a 6 pack of dansani water, the small Mylar 5oz packs of water
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 11:43:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Smart water or Gatorade bottles, hard to beat the price.
View Quote

+1
Also use a camel bak. I drink more with the camel bak.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 7:48:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I ca not stand the taste of the hydration packs. I have had a couple of them. All have been nasty.
View Quote

My newer-model Camelbak bladders do not have any taste even after leaving water in them for a week. What bladders were you using?
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 7:53:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
3-4 days of water is ~ 4 gallons minimum = 32 pounds.
Why would you not want to filter along the way?
View Quote

A lot depends on location and activity.  We did an arid hike into an area with a spring and it was three full days (could probably do it in two as a more experienced backpacker) of hiking in with no water sources.  You definitely maximize hydration and minimize waste.  I think the longest stretch we did on the AT was about 10 miles with no water sources.  We bypassed a spring that was about a quarter mile downhill in favor of another one which ended up being dry.  This is why you always top off when you get a chance.

Hiking to a spot to setup a camp and relax is less taxing than hiking 15-18 miles with 90-degree temps and really high humidity that pushes the heat index into triple digits; you could easily triple your water intake needs.

No doubt, water weighs a ton and you want to avoid carrying any more than you really need or plan for.  I tried to just use a two-liter hydration bladder, but it was always hard to judge the level.  This is why I use my SmartWater bottle as that third liter and serve as backup.  As soon as I'm down to the that water bottle, I have five to six miles before I really get worried.  Remember, dehydration and heat cramps sneak up quickly and take time, rest, food and plenty of hydration to recover.  

Another consideration is balance how many water containers you have.  This is where even a light collapsible water container (or two) is handy even if it's not currently carrying water.  If your hydration bladder does ruptures or you lose that SmartWater bottle, at least you have another container for water; you're not putting all your eggs in one basket.  Even as a lightweight backpacker, these extra ounces are prudent insurance.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 10:41:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Older camel and brand new source. Chan gf ed the hose out on the source 2x,so and both were horrible.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 12:04:21 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I’m considering an upgrade (downgrade as it’s slightly heavier) to the new 750ml Vargo BOT with handles as it would serve as a cook kit but also give you another container to transport water.

ROCK6

View Quote

I just got one of those BOT 750s.  The seal seems robust enough to trust it full inside your pack, but I haven't had it out on a trip yet.  I wish I had enough side pocket capacity to keep it there.  I'm using that thought to help rationalize getting an Ohm 2.0...

I did do some testing with my fancy feast stove, and it took almost a full minute longer to get to a full boil vs my toads 1100 pot for 2 cups of water.  I was a little disappointed with that.  I suspect it's due to it being narrower and deeper for the same volume of water.  I did have just a little flame coming over the bottom edge onto the side of the pot.

I'm pretty seriously considering ditching my msr hydromeddary bladder and going back to bottles.  I think I do drink more with thebladder, but it socks running out without knowing that's coming.  It's bombproof, but it's heavy for what it is.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 2:30:15 AM EDT
[#24]
1L widemouth Nalgene. One with me everywhere I go for normal day to day stuff, 2-3 when backpacking or climbing. I stopped with the bladder thing because they do wonky stuff at altitude. They leak or burst, hoses freeze, mouth pieces get crushed or mangled. You can't beat the reliability of a Nalgene. Plus, they turn into pee bottles in the middle of the night when it's too cold, windy, or inconvenient to leave the tent.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:51:19 PM EDT
[#25]
1 bite nozzle Nalgene with stainless canteen cup

1 large mouth Nalgene with another stainless cup in insulated pouch

1 90oz Camelbak integrated into my vest

For 3-4 days, there needs to be resupply or water on your pack.

I carry 2 2QT canteens on my ruck minimum for a 3-4 day, with plans for resupply along the way.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 7:25:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
USGI  canteen
View Quote

Me too.  1 or 2 quart depending on what kids are coming along. Also a 16oz sport top water bottle per person, in a USGI M16 mag pouch cut to close on them. Sawyer mini with 64oz pouches to refill.  Served us well in our first year of playtime.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top