Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2016 6:00:32 PM EDT
Basically, the title says it all.

My last muffs finally felled apart and my shooting glasses didn't survive my recent move.

I was looking at these for muffs:ClearArmor 141001 Safety Ear Muffs Shooters Hearing Protection Folding-Padded Head Band Ear Cups

They have almost 4600 reviews with an 89% 5 star reviews.

The problem I'm really having is with shooting glasses. I don't mind cheaper plastic lenses, but I keep seeing many having problems with being blurred.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 7:47:49 PM EDT
[#1]
ESS "Cross" Series Eyepro

Peltor Passive Muffs

Total with shipping should be far less than $100, and both are well know solid brands.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 8:18:46 PM EDT
[#2]
It looks like the link above has changed. The muffs shown are "Pro For Sho" brand, nor Peltor.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:07:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It looks like the link above has changed. The muffs shown are "Pro For Sho" brand, nor Peltor.
View Quote

Or the poster fooked up and grabbed the wrong link......

Sorry!

ETA - link is now correct.  My apologies for the error.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 7:59:14 PM EDT
[#4]
ClanDireWolf

Peltor make good muffs. I have used several different models and have had no problems.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 3:03:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 4:10:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I can't recommend shooting glasses since I wear prescription but I highly recommend this ear muffs.:

Howard Leight Impact

I've been using them for years and I'll never go back to a non-electronic ear muff.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 8:48:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I can't recommend shooting glasses since I wear prescription but I highly recommend this ear muffs.:

Howard Leight Impact

I've been using them for years and I'll never go back to a non-electronic ear muff.
View Quote

Plus these:

ESS
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 11:39:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Howard Leight Impact

View Quote

I've been happy with these as well.  I picked them up under $40 amazon prime last spring.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 1:03:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
ESS "Cross" Series Eyepro

Peltor Passive Muffs

Total with shipping should be far less than $100, and both are well know solid brands.
View Quote

Look for the ESS Suppressor glasses. Same lenses as the Crossbow series, but ultra thin temples. Your will thank me later...
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 12:42:41 PM EDT
[#10]
My sunglasses are all rated as safety glasses for the most part, they don't all have the side protection but the lenses are rated to not shatter.

My cheap ear muffs are the stihl orange ones since they adjust well and work well and stand out if I loan em out.

When buying another pair of cheap safety glasses I play around in wally world or lowes or home depot and look at what I am going to buy.

Wally world has some stuff in the motorcycle section as well.  I bought a pair of sunglasses with padding around the eyes for riding a motorcycle, got em more for atv stuff, but on a dusty and windy day they are nice to have on the range.  Or mowing grass.

I like electronic ear muffs but unless you catch a close out those break the budget.

Link Posted: 9/4/2016 1:23:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Be very careful of the amount of DB reduction offered.
Those peltors someone posted only offer 21 DB which may not
prevent permanent hearing loss.

I suggest 30 db reduction min

If you are going to wear muffs with only a 21 or 22 db reduction rating
I highly recommend also wearing quality foam plugs. These typically have a 30 to 32 db rating.

Be very careful with your hearing protection or expect noticable permanent hearing loss down the road. Most of the low profile electronic muffs only offer 17 to 22 db so you are going from a 165 db
gun shot down to perhaps 143 db.....

http://www.noisehelp.com/noise-dose.html
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 2:06:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Howard Leight Impact

View Quote

I have these. I strongly recommend them.

Check out these Smith Aegis safety glasses. I have 3 pairs of them now, all from Botach through Amazon. They're very nice glasses and offer excellent protection, especially considering that you can get them for the same price as regular throwaway safety glasses.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00K44MZJG/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ETA: Don't let the "compact" sizing turn you off. I wear a 7-1/2 hat size and they fit great.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 4:52:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I highly recommend also wearing quality foam plugs. These typically have a 30 to 32 db rating.

Be very careful with your hearing protection or expect noticable permanent hearing loss down the road. Most of the low profile electronic muffs only offer 17 to 22 db so you are going from a 165 db

View Quote

One (large) reason why I generally recommend good passive hearing protection vs the tacticool electronic muffs for general range use.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 7:01:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

One (large) reason why I generally recommend good passive hearing protection vs the tacticool electronic muffs for general range use.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doubling up with quality plugs is definitely the way to go for maximum protection.

One thing to consider is what type of shooting you're doing.  If you compete, hearing the range commands becomes important and complicates matters because doubling up with plugs and passive muffs makes hearing commands difficult.  Shooting rifles and shotguns means that you need something lower profile to get a good cheekweld.  If the muffs get pushed off you're losing protection.  Wearing eyepro also breaks the seal, losing protection.

I'd take manufacturer NRR with a grain of salt.  It's a place to start though, and higher #'s should provide more protection at the expense of weight and size.

I shudder to think about how much I've spent over the years looking for the perfect balance of functionality and protection.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 10:32:54 PM EDT
[#16]
This is the eye pro I suggest when price is an issue

https://m.youtube.com/user/theEdgeEyewear
https://m.youtube.com/user/theEdgeEyewear
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 11:10:02 AM EDT
[#17]
I have been shooting with this combination for a while and really like them:

Wiley X Valor glasses. These provide mil-spec ballistic protection and the lenses are interchangable. You can get either a single lens pair  for ~$50 or the 3 lens for ~$70. I got the polarized lenses ($80) and like them better than smoke gray for when I am on the water (fishin').

Wiley X Valor - Single lens (different shades available)

Wiley X Valor - 3 Lenses (Clear, Rust and Gray)

Get electronic ear-pro if you take classes or compete. Howard Leights are the top sellers on Amazon and run ~$40 (NRR 22 dB) and the batteries last forever in mine (auto shutoff). Some shooting schools/classes/competitions now require electronic ear-pro since hearing range/line commands is essential for safety. Having said that, most are sub-optimal in terms of dB reduction so when shooting (especially long guns), I would recommend using ear plugs underneath as other have mentioned ( i run suppressors now on my long guns but always double up when shooting shotguns or when others are next to me shooting at the range). Make sure whatever muffs you get, that they are "low profile", that is, the lower edge is cut out to allow for better long gun cheekwelds. Custom molded electronic earplugs are outside of your stated budget.  

Howard Leight Electronic earpro

So for Wiley X Valor single lenses (~$50) and HL ear-pro (~$40 + ~$3 for earplugs) you are on budget
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:09:47 PM EDT
[#18]
I picked up some Wiley X Saber advanced glasses with clear, smoke and orange lenses for $45.00 on sale at cabelas over the weekend. They retail for $60.00. Get some Howard Leight Impacts on amazon, $40.00 I think and you will be set up perfectly. I can't speak for the other Wiley X's but the Sabers I picked up have a notch in the nose piece for prescription glasses if you wear them. Good luck
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 2:18:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Do any of you get sound interference with Howard leights? I hear qeird chirping and squeaking noises. Is this common or just my ear muffs?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top