Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2016 4:23:34 PM EDT
Do they go bad over time? Digging thru my stuff, I came across a First Need water filter, and several spare filters for it. Probably going on 20 years old. Also a straw type filter, and another odd type filter I got at a gun show maybe 25 years ago.

Have a lot of trioxane fuel bars, maybe 20 plus years old.

And some store bought type bandages, dressings, military wound bandages etc. Some of the wrappers are turning brown, but still sealed, the military bandages are still in either the green or clear plastic.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 5:44:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Trioxane evaporates rather than goes bad. My "bad" bars just turned into empty wrappers. I've
moved on to different fuels since it's out-dated, nasty stuff, but if it's still solid in the wrapper it's
still good.

Bandages will still stop blood loss, but may not be sterile if the packaging gets pierced, which is
likely over time as plastics degrade. I usually rotate them out just to be safe.

No idea on the filters, I'd imagine the non straw types would be OK, especially if ceramic, I'd
worry more about plastic parts in the pump mechanism than the filters themselves.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top