Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2016 4:11:00 PM EDT
I am working in a 50cal ammo can battery pack to charge phones and other stuff when away.  The original plan was to just use a small deep cycle battery.  However the 18650 batteries look like a better option if I can get them for about 2$ apiece on that auction site.  I can fit a lot of 18650’s in an ammo can and get ~13.2V to 14.8V.

What batteries did you use?
What kind of PCB set up did you use?
Is there a charger controller that will charge from 120Vac and DC (solar) (I have ~17Vdc available)?
Any advice?

Link Posted: 8/21/2016 4:30:23 PM EDT
[#1]
That looks sweet.. I have probably 50 3400 ma batteries in cold storage,, plus a few users.. that looks like a good future project.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 8:59:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Going 18650s, you don't want to buy crap cells, or laptop pulls, or cells that have been stored incorrectly (full/high/low temps,) so $2 a cell is a bit spotty.  For $5 a cell, you can get the newish 3400mAh Panasonic NCR18650Bs, which have been at the top of the heap for 2-3 years, although they aren't >10A drain, that shouldn't be a problem for your setup.

If you want 10A cells, but still almost as high in capacity, you might try the Samsung 30Q, the LG MJ1s and/or the Sanyo-Panasonic NCR18650GAs, but those will probably be over $5 in say quantities of 20+?

If you go 3S8P: 3 in series, 8 strings in parallel, that'll be 24 total cells.  They come hot off the charger at 4.2v and are 3.6-3.7v nominal, so we're looking at 10.8v (nom.) to 12.6v.  Throw in another in series and you're at 14.4v-16.8v and then capacity will be 3400mAh x 8, or approximately 27Ah.

You can play with the numbers and amounts.

You'll need a balancing charger, since you're charging in strings and that implementation is probably a bit above my pay grade, but guys build 50 cell packs for electric bikes everyday, so it's being done and done safely.

This guy might be able to help you, if you PM him:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/list.php?author/10167-Overclocker

Here are a couple of good places for li-ion cells:

https://www.imrbatteries.com/

http://liionwholesale.com/

There are E-bike sites out there, as well and building packs and charging solutions are their speciality.

Chris

Link Posted: 8/21/2016 10:52:44 PM EDT
[#3]
All of mine, except for maybe half of my users, are Panasonics... at $10 each,, it put a hurt on my wallet,, but I collect flashlights,, bright flashlights,, I have one that I can use extensions, and install 12 of these for long runtime..
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 10:56:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Ahhh, yes,, Candlepower.. I am a member there, but haven't been online if probably a couple years.. started hanging out at budget light forums..  I need to long on an check out new stuff... thanks
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 11:47:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ahhh, yes,, Candlepower.. I am a member there, but haven't been online if probably a couple years.. started hanging out at budget light forums..  I need to long on an check out new stuff... thanks
View Quote

Yeah, the OP's info is out there, I'm just not somebody to school you on building multi-cell packs with charging algorithms, is all.

A little research will give you both all the info you need.  Tabbed cells will be helpful and there are places that sell them, so that's not a problem.

My reply was mostly a caveat on not buying the cheapest cells that you can find, but to start with quality cells and a safe way to charge them up in series, which one will be doing.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:07:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I personally would not build a pack. Too many things can go wrong and balancing all those cells is tough.

For your build I'd run something like this for $100.00.

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-BTL14A240C-Lithium-Phosphate/dp/B00F9LPJ8S
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:44:47 AM EDT
[#7]
May I suggest Military BB2590s. There is some cost up front sourcing a good charger but they can't be beat. The only issue is they run about 16 volts. I bought some Battaxx adapter plugs and made a plug in down converter using a switching converter. They are rugged as hell and last forever. The converter is adjustable from about 6v to 30v and has a secondary fixed 3 amp 5 volt switching supply that feeds the USB port for phones or whatever else. I've used it all week and the batter has only dropped about about .5 volts. I can plug the ecig in and smoke till I pass out.

http://www.battaxx.com/product/bb590-male-connector

About 12 Ah of power

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 8:32:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys.  The cheep batteries all look fake.  To bulid with Li batteries is getting too complicated when i add in a DC to DC board to handle solar charging.

I am going with the original plan and will get a UB12150 SLA battery.

I will still have 15Ah @12V

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 8:46:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks guys.  The cheep batteries all look fake.  To bulid with Li batteries is getting too complicated when i add in a DC to DC board to handle solar charging.

View Quote

I went out and bought a Chrome 22Ah and a PowerSonic 12Ah AGM battery to be used with a 12v Triplett inverter, my 2x30w solar panels and Morningstar SS10L controller, for emergencies.  I don't need it to be light in weight, but I can't charge up various batteries/cells, run a 12v fan and some other small devices during hurricane season.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 3:53:46 PM EDT
[#10]
What auction site are you refering to?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 6:39:34 PM EDT
[#11]
go Li-po. plenty of big cells out there with plenty of amps to power pretty much anything you want at a lower weight than a SLA or gell cell battery. then you can use a standard Li-po charger and not have to worry about any special charging setup.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 8:09:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What auction site are you refering to?
View Quote

That big bay site.  Don't bother the general consensus is they are fake.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 8:14:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I finished the ammo can battery pack.  It works good enough for my needs.  It charged my phone for a week.  Here are the details:

Link Posted: 9/9/2016 5:25:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I am working in a 50cal ammo can battery pack to charge phones and other stuff when away.  The original plan was to just use a small deep cycle battery.  However the 18650 batteries look like a better option if I can get them for about 2$ apiece on that auction site.  I can fit a lot of 18650’s in an ammo can and get ~13.2V to 14.8V.

What batteries did you use?
What kind of PCB set up did you use?
Is there a charger controller that will charge from 120Vac and DC (solar) (I have ~17Vdc available)?
Any advice?

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah99/beetfarmeriniowa/20160821_124116_zpsojcj8nok.jpg
View Quote

Can I ask where you purchased the panel on the side of the ammo can?
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 9:48:12 AM EDT
[#16]
SurvivalTech Nord on YouTube has some videos on building your own 18650-based battery pack.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 4:15:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

SurvivalTech Nord on YouTube has some videos on building your own 18650-based battery pack.
View Quote
His soft voice makes me think of him as the Bob Ross of Ham radio videos .......

Lets put a happy little QRP antenna right here .
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 9:20:07 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

His soft voice makes me think of him as the Bob Ross of Ham radio videos .......  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 3:19:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I personally would not build a pack. Too many things can go wrong and balancing all those cells is tough.
View Quote

Balancing a bunch of cells becomes a lot easier when they're all connected in series - which is what most manufacturers of cordless tools are doing.

Currently, they're getting 80+ volts out of 'em...

...which begs the question: How do you convert that high voltage down to 12VDC without wasting a lot of power, or generating a lot of EMI?

In other words, how do you make an 80 volt, 3,000 mAH battery pack look exactly like a 12 volt, 20,000 mAH battery pack?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top