Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2016 1:05:01 AM EDT
I have a few cases of Mountain House single and 2-serving pouches that were purchased in 2005.  Most have use by dates in 2010.  They've been stored indoors in a cool and dry environment but I'm wondering if they would be safe to use.  I was thinking of donating to a scouting group but thought the use by date would concern them.  I have tried some of the pouches recently and they taste fine.  

Anyone have any experience with pouches out of date this long?  It seems current pouches are rated for 30-year shelf life.

I did switch to #10 cans a while back and no longer get the pouches unless using for camping or hunting soon after purchase.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 1:36:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I think that it's similar to the LIFESTRAW water filters and Eneloop NiMH batteries.

The products come out and they haven't been able to test them long term, so they 'guesstimate' and say 5 years/1500 cycles.  5 years comes and goes and one guy cracks one open and it's fine and safe, so they bump the date out by another 2 years to 7 and when that rolls around, they rinse and repeat.

I don't think that they're unsafe, but I'm not a chemist testing them out.  They might taste off and a bit stale, but you can always spit that first mouthful out.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 5:44:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Eat them.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 9:33:38 AM EDT
[#3]
They're most likely fine but donating them to kids really isn't an option.  Most likely the adults would shit can them instead of giving them to the kids due to the exp date.  Liability and all.

Heck eat them up, take them on a fishing trip or a day hike this year.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 9:45:39 AM EDT
[#4]
They're fine, eat them.

Unless it is the eggs...those things never tasted good to me.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 2:15:26 PM EDT
[#5]
MH just recently upgraded shelf life and taste guarantee to 30 years.

" Q: How does the shelf life of Mountain House pouches compare to other brands?

A: We know of no other pouch on the market with Mountain House’s 30-year proven shelf life. It is important to note that we use a strict definition of "shelf life", namely that our food will still taste good, even at the end of its stated shelf life!

We’re so confident that Mountain House pouches will stand the test of time that we’ve instituted the industry’s only 30-year Taste Guarantee."

MH FAQ Link
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 4:28:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A: We know of no other pouch on the market with Mountain House’s 30-year proven shelf life. It is important to note that we use a strict definition of "shelf life", namely that our food will still taste good, even at the end of its stated shelf life!

We’re so confident that Mountain House pouches will stand the test of time that we’ve instituted the industry’s only 30-year Taste Guarantee."

MH FAQ Link
View Quote

Just as I surmised.

Thanks, though, since I didn't research it.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 6:02:20 PM EDT
[#7]
As others have said, Eat them.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 1:47:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Just as I surmised.

Chris
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MH FAQ Link

Just as I surmised.

Chris

They used to give a use by date of 7 years on the pouches, but then Wise food came along and started making 30 year claims about their product's shelf life and MH came out and said, "yeah, ours are really good for 30 years too..."

Maybe they figure you'll buy more product that way?
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 9:56:36 AM EDT
[#9]
I've got some from 1999.....

Been stored in cool dry conditions... I'm hanging on to them... Worst case... They will be my charitable meals for the unprepared and starving soccer moms!
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 4:35:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought the remnants of a old Y2K store for 20 cents on the dollar.. was still eating stuff up to last year. I never really care for dehydrated  foods,,, a friend of mine and his wife loved some of it, even after all this time.
Of course this was still in cans.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 1:05:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 1:35:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Just opened a case of pouches.

Chicken ala king, best by Oct 2010.

Will try it out today and report.

Txl
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:01:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Done.

If it was cold out, and I was camping, this stuff would have been awesome.

Sitting in my air conditioned house, this stuff was pretty damned good.

Texture was perfect, taste was great.

Txl
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 12:20:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Send it to me and I will test it for you
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 7:40:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Done.

If it was cold out, and I was camping, this stuff would have been awesome.

Sitting in my air conditioned house, this stuff was pretty damned good.

Texture was perfect, taste was great.

Txl
View Quote

Thanks for the update!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top