Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2016 6:39:39 PM EDT
What's the oldest matches you have ever used that still fired up with no problem? I was digging thru my gear and ran on to these, which are around 15 years for the ones in plastic. There are 12  250 count Diamond strike anywhere, 30 40 count Domino strike anywhere, 16 45 count Coghlan waterproof, 8 45 count Ozark Trail waterproof, couple tubes of lifeboat matches and a case of 48 boxes of 250 count Chief strike on box.

There are no good strike anywhere matches anymore, at least not any I can find. The new Diamond brand is really bad in my opinion since the tip was changed.

Would you keep these old matches, or make a nice fire and bit the bullet for some new ones?

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:38:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I have some old Coughlan weatherproof matches, the ones with a head that's about an inch long. Bought 'em about 10 years ago and they work just fine.

Moisture is the issue. If you've kept them dry, and they light when you need them, why waste them?
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 1:35:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What's the oldest matches you have ever used that still fired up with no problem? I was digging thru my gear and ran on to these, which are around 15 years for the ones in plastic. There are 12  250 count Diamond strike anywhere, 30 40 count Domino strike anywhere, 16 45 count Coghlan waterproof, 8 45 count Ozark Trail waterproof, couple tubes of lifeboat matches and a case of 48 boxes of 250 count Chief strike on box.

There are no good strike anywhere matches anymore, at least not any I can find. The new Diamond brand is really bad in my opinion since the tip was changed.

Would you keep these old matches, or make a nice fire and bit the bullet for some new ones?

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s280/packrat02/P1020114_zpsq0xjznn4.jpg
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s280/packrat02/P1020115_zps4vxcokad.jpg

View Quote

Saw your post! You stated your matches are about 15 years old! You where wondering if they would work!!
So that got me thinking! I though I had some Ohio Blue Tip strike any where matches some where!!!
So it took some looking! Found them on the shelf in an old metal coffee can!
The plastic lid was cracked. So it did not seal tight!

I struck one on the box! It took about 5 strikes to light it! It burned good!
Could not get them (2 more) to light off the box!!!
If you look close at the bottom picture! Above caution and below Strke!
It says 1984!
Your matches look to be very well protected from the elements! I would guess that they will work fine!
If you still have concerns! Open a pack up and try them!!!
Let the hive know if your match stock pile works!

PITA45

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 9:35:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Open one and try em.  Put em into use.  If good, rest should go in an ammo can or something.

I have a decent amount of matches from before things went downhill, but these days I buy strike anywhere matches and expect to use them on a striker in order to have reliable use of new stuff.

Depending on what your needs are, there are other options.

Can use a lighter to light a small stick or chop stick or something else and then use that to light whatever you need to reach if the lighter won't reach.  I have zippo for end of the world bic stuff is dead.

I like some of the butane refillable sotering stuff, I consider em a cool lighter.  Cans of butane store great.

I have some ohio blue tips like what is pictured above, they went into an ammo can long ago.

A match has a purpose, but other things can do the job.  It may not be as efficient but it can get things done.

I do have some bic and other similar lighters as well.

But honestly, some zippos and zippo fuel of some sort, some want zippo and some research things and buy stuff in the hardware section, is for when I might have a need for lighting things somewhat often.

I hope to not go back to the sort of thing where people carried a few coals around in order to be able to light stuff on fire.

About the only matches I have bought in the last 5 years are some of the ones that are considered the survivalist matches or something, big brown 1 inch or so match head and comes in a plastic container and they tend to be expensive but they work.

You can also look at waterproofing matches and other stuff, but I never felt like messing with it.

If starting today, I would get a bunch of strike anywhere matches and consider them to be strike on box matches.  They tend to be reliable that way.  

A bunch of bic lighters so I can watch fluid evaporate out of some while others don't lose any fluid.

Zippo and flints and wicks and zippo fluid of some sort.

Candles.

If I don't have some trees in the yard to help with the small stick need if I run out of matches then I might look at options such as toothpicks or something for setting on fire and then using that to light my coleman lantern or something.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:18:31 AM EDT
[#4]
is there any foreign produced strike anywhere matches  (that work better than ours)  ??

If so where to get them????
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 4:01:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Strike anywhere matches ship with hazmat fees I think.  Might just be when messing with case quantities.

Taking fresh matches and making them waterproof, or if you can still buy decent waterproof matches, would possibly be something else to consider.

I don't have much need for fire these days.  When I do, a lighter usually gets the job done.

Showed one guy at a camp last year the trick of lighting a stick on fire and using it to do the job of a match.

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 4:06:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:13:36 AM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

is there any foreign produced strike anywhere matches  (that work better than ours)  ??

If so where to get them????
View Quote
Penley brand strike anywhere matches. I use to buy them at a local IGA and ACE hardware. Have not seen them there recently. But I have a good supply so I don't look for them.

They are almost as good as the old Ohio brand. A lot  better than the junk diamond brand. If you can't find them local try Amazon. Won't be cheap if bought online.

ETA: I just read that they quit making the Penleys also. Get them while you can. Damn meth heads.

Link Posted: 8/1/2016 12:36:59 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

Just a heads up!  
ACE Hard Ward carries them in may area!
Way cheaper then that! Maybe $3.00 a large box! Sorry! Looked the other day $1.99 a box!

PITA45

Link Posted: 8/1/2016 4:04:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 4:12:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 9:22:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I would hang on to those...  As long as they were stored in a dry place an still work I would think they are good to go.  That said they don't make strike anywhere matches like they used to.

Wouldn't hurt to grab a few large boxes from ace hardware and stash them for another day.  They are cheap and plentiful now so why not?  Same with Bic lighters, and zippo components.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 9:59:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Once upon a time I stored them like crazy and probably have a bunch somewhere but when those bic lighters came out I started using them and piled them deep.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 3:45:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 6:17:13 PM EDT
[#14]

I scored these $1.99 for 10 boxes of 32  
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 4:07:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Once upon a time I stored them like crazy and probably have a bunch somewhere but when those bic lighters came out I started using them and piled them deep.
View Quote

LOL.. I had like 150 lighters stored.. after about 17 years, some were only about half full.. this was in a storage shed, in the cold, heat and humid weather.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 5:09:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

LOL.. I had like 150 lighters stored.. after about 17 years, some were only about half full.. this was in a storage shed, in the cold, heat and humid weather.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I noticed that with some of my cheap off brands but not the bic lighters but I probably need to add a new batch to the pile and throw the old ones in the barter box.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 5:33:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Yea,, mine were all off brand stuff... gave them away a few months ago,,
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 2:49:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top